Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is there a Rolling Stones equivalent of The Beatles Get Back Documentary
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: January 6, 2022 01:34

Of the boys working in the studio? The band have always been such strong documentaries of their concert work, obviously I know there is one plus one, but is there anything else out there from the 60s and 70s that would make an interesting documentary of the ilk of the Beatles?

Re: Is there a Rolling Stones equivalent of The Beatles Get Back Documentary
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 6, 2022 01:39

possibly robert franks footage from the tour rehearsals in texas 1972

but i asked a similar question to yours about a month ago here on iorr

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: January 6, 2022 06:31

Is there anything with well documented studio footage?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 6, 2022 07:18

No.

Just one more aspect of how the Stones have not handled their legacy in accordance to how it could be handled.

Which may not be a bad thing, overall, the biggest exception being money made.

Maybe after they've retired, or stopped, will something come along. But by that point, it's reasonable to think that a majority of the fan base will be mostly not interested and somewhat dead.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 6, 2022 07:23

GasLightStreet
No.

Just one more aspect of how the Stones have not handled their legacy in accordance to how it could be handled.

Maybe after they've retired, or stopped, will something come along. But by that point, it's reasonable to think that a majority of the fan base will be mostly not interested and somewhat dead.

Whilst I think that your overall point is correct that The Stones only woke up to their legacy a few years ago, pointing to nothing comparable to "Get Back" is not appropriate.

Your argument implies that The Beatles filmed "Get Back" as a historic record to document for future generations how they worked.

It was to be part of a package building up to a show. Not for HISTORY.

The Stones don't make a big deal out of it, but at least they do now employ professional archivists, and Good For Them.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 6, 2022 08:43

People assume the Stones were as big in the 60s as they became. They had a truly hard core following, but they were nowhere near the Beatles in popularity until the fab four retired. Every breath the Beatles were took. Tons of never seen photos emerge all the time. The obsession with everything they did is unimaginable to today's generation. There hasn't been anything like it before or after.

That being said, the Stones simply weren't followed as closely. Rock and Roll Circus is the closest warts and all we'll ever see. My god their founding member was falling apart in front of everyone. And again, they worked up songs differently, starting with something crude and working it into polished magic. Their outtakes aren't as interesting, because they don't have what made the singles great.

I hope ABKCO has something for some kind of Anthology like project when this is all over. I hope Bill still has that acetate. But there isn't that much pre what became the Rolling Stones. No Pete Best ousted for Charlie, cementing the group.

Date: January 6, 2022 08:52

guyrachel

One Plus One.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 6, 2022 09:33

Their reported ill treatment of Brian Jones is something they would probably rather forget though.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 6, 2022 10:26

DandelionPowderman
guyrachel

One Plus One.

+1

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 6, 2022 12:15

GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman
guyrachel

One Plus One.

+1

Mentioned in the first post - [iorr.org] :

guyrachel

obviously I know there is one plus one

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 7, 2022 01:04

How about the muscle shoals sessions... I wonder how much footage there is from the wild horses, brown sugar recording.

There has to be enough footage from over the years to do an Anthology type series on the stones.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2022 01:15

A four weeks footage of the recording of After Math in HD....but they erased it accidentally..... just joking....

There must be more and more footage of the '69 tour especially Altamont

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 7, 2022 01:20

What Lindsay-Hogg made for the Beatles was intended to become Let It Be. It needed a guy with a certain compulsion to cost his viewers a lot of their time to turn it into Get Back.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 7, 2022 01:36

Insofar the equivalent of the Beatles filmed by Lindsay-Hogg would be the Stones filmed by Lindsay-Hogg you have the circus

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: January 7, 2022 01:42

I wish they made a film of the Blue & Lonesome sessions.. just watching the boys jam on some classic blues tracks would be good enough

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2022 01:57

Nikkei
What Lindsay-Hogg made for the Beatles was intended to become Let It Be. It needed a guy with a certain compulsion to cost his viewers a lot of their time to turn it into Get Back.

If you think about it, it took 50 years for them to grow this from Let it Be to the Get Back series.

That from a band that is indisputably the biggest, and most scrutinized.

So for that reason, getting something similar from a slightly 'less adored' (but better) band is probably asking a lot. To put the money into redoing something from the past like Jackson's done for Get Back, for the Stones, would be incredibly expensive and probably lose money.

So we won't get something so elaborate...but at least release what they do have, as we'll enjoy it and they'll make some money.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 7, 2022 02:16

GasLightStreet
No.

Maybe Dead & Company should rename themselves "Somewhat Dead".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 7, 2022 02:20

NilsHolgersson
I wish they made a film of the Blue & Lonesome sessions.. just watching the boys jam on some classic blues tracks would be good enough

Would have definitely helped elevate the album beyond a standard/average blues covers album, and would have been especially cool to see when Clapton joined them.
While his final contributions were sort of nondescript/indistinct, it would have been nice to actually watch it all like a fly on the wall.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2022 02:58

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2022 04:28

floodonthepage
GasLightStreet
No.

Maybe Dead & Company should rename themselves "Somewhat Dead".

"Almost Dead"?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 7, 2022 04:48

Paddy
How about the muscle shoals sessions... I wonder how much footage there is from the wild horses, brown sugar recording.

The 2013 documentary Muscle Shoals featured all the footage from Gimme Shelter of the Stones recording there--and nothing else.

A few of the shots in the Mixed Emotions video [www.youtube.com] suggest that some of these sessions might have been filmed.

Date: January 7, 2022 05:17

CaptainCorella
GasLightStreet
No.

Whilst I think that your overall point is correct that The Stones only woke up to their legacy a few years ago, pointing to nothing comparable to "Get Back" is not appropriate.

Your argument implies that The Beatles filmed "Get Back" as a historic record to document for future generations how they worked.

It was to be part of a package building up to a show. Not for HISTORY.

The Stones don't make a big deal out of it, but at least they do now employ professional archivists, and Good For Them.

No argument there. My point, which I wasn't clear about, is not that GET BACK was done for what has become, is that since 1995 'The Beatles' have handled their legacy with much more finesse.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 7, 2022 06:26

There was a lot of Stones material that was held back for a long time.

People now forget that The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus was a treasure buried in the vaults for decades...it was practically mythological for those of us who poured over the still photos and dreamed about seeing it.

As far as legacy, I think the Stones--as a going concern--have always been careful about releasing older material. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones took forever to get to home video. I'm guessing that part of the reason is that the Stones were still touring, and having an earlier version of them in circulation was inviting comparison, so that they'd be in competition with themselves!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 7, 2022 06:32

60's 70's footage doesn't seem likely

but 80's onward seems like there might be a good chance

let's see

there is some footage from the dirty work sessions in some documentary i can't recall

footage of the steel wheels sessions in 25x5 might be more

of course there's the the footage from stripped

also the footage from the the 40 licks sessions pretty sure there's more of that

and i seem to remember reading about the sessions for doom & gloom being filmed for some unfinished abandoned project but i could be wrong about that

and there is some bits of studio footage from one of the blue & lonesome videos

actually i wonder if they've been filming all or most of the sessions in the last 10 years

if so sure hope they filmed that final session with charlie last spring

i miss anything?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-07 06:58 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: January 7, 2022 06:52

loog droog
There was a lot of Stones material that was held back for a long time.

People now forget that The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus was a treasure buried in the vaults for decades...it was practically mythological for those of us who poured over the still photos and dreamed about seeing it.

As far as legacy, I think the Stones--as a going concern--have always been careful about releasing older material. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones took forever to get to home video. I'm guessing that part of the reason is that the Stones were still touring, and having an earlier version of them in circulation was inviting comparison, so that they'd be in competition with themselves!

Nah. If that's the case would they have released anything else? LIVE IN TEXAS came out in November of 2011, almost a year before 50 & COUNTING. On and on. There's no competing with their past when they release whatever live show and they're before, during or after a tour. The shows sell out... there's no competing.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2022 09:34

terraplane
Their reported ill treatment of Brian Jones is something they would probably rather forget though.

Poor, poor Brian. As if he did nothing to warrant enmity from the band. He eventually pissed off every one of them with his behavior. He was probably bipolar, but no one knew what the hell that was back then. Or that gobbling down handfuls of drugs from strangers might not be a good thing. And what were they? In their mid-20s? Spoiled rock stars, insulated from the real world. I think it caught up to them when they were older. They seemed more reflective, and forgiving about Brian.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 7, 2022 11:27

I spoke extensively with Dick Garruthers in 2003, while in Florida. He was the video director and steered five cameramen live during every concert from a basement location inside the arena filled with very impressive equipment! I had the privilege to go there, while the band was playing Moonlight Mile. A fantastic experience.
He told me (not during the recording of the songs off course) that the band started recording and documenting every show since the 80s. Based on many offstage snips that are around on Internet, my guess is that not only concerts were recorded, but also "life" around those concerts. There is tons of documentation stored both in England and Belgium. So if they really want(ed) to make a "life" story, they could.
But why should they. The Beatles are history for well over half a Century, while The Rolling Stones are still alive and kicking. All they want are shows in front of their fans (which also makes them tons of money). Only lately (under "pressure" of Universal) they (mostly Mick of all people, who doesn't like looking in the past too much), starting with the bonus CD for Exile, they've have put some energy in their past.
Documents like Hyde Park and Gimme Shelter, for instance, were no "looking into the past" pieces of work, but an actual idea to sell the experience on video soon after the concert, simply because there was a huge audience present at both events. Sadly, Knebworth was documented by a bunch of amateurs. These days they only work with highly skilled people, resulting in beautiful documents like Copacabana and Havana cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: January 7, 2022 11:28

24FPS
terraplane

Poor, poor Brian. As if he did nothing to warrant enmity from the band. He eventually pissed off every one of them with his behavior. He was probably bipolar, but no one knew what the hell that was back then. Or that gobbling down handfuls of drugs from strangers might not be a good thing. And what were they? In their mid-20s? Spoiled rock stars, insulated from the real world. I think it caught up to them when they were older. They seemed more reflective, and forgiving about Brian.

True but all people will see is what the footage of 1 + 1 shows them. I haven't seen it for a long time but I recall it was Brian isolated from the rest of the group, stuck in a booth by himself with his guitar not even audible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-07 11:29 by terraplane.

Date: January 7, 2022 11:46

terraplane
24FPS
terraplane

True but all people will see is what the footage of 1 + 1 shows them. I haven't seen it for a long time but I recall it was Brian isolated from the rest of the group, stuck in a booth by himself with his guitar not even audible.

And after that footage Brian played a brilliant slide guitar on Still A Fool + participated in recording You Got The Silver and Midnight Rambler.

It's not always black and white.

Date: January 7, 2022 11:53

Captured on film? That would be worth watching.

My point isn't about whether Brian was fairly treated or not but more how it looks in the 1+1 footage.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home