Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Charlie’s throat cancer
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: January 23, 2022 20:47

24FPS
Best of wishes for your health. I had throat cancer from HPV. (You're welcome, ladies). The cancer itself wasn't so bad, tonsil area, but the treatment was barbarous, and the recovery long. I also think it aged me. I was definitely another person on the other side of it. It's just been five years so I'm considered 'cured', but I live with the suspicion it could always be hiding somewhere.

Charlie was a smoker, and don't think he fooled around much, so I'd be surprised if it was HPV.

Yes, HPV for me as well. Highly treatable, but like you said, devastating treatment course.

Date: January 23, 2022 20:50

Irix
jazzbass

Does anyone know what type of cancer he had?

Charlie: "I had two operations and radio therapy, which is the way to do it. I had a lump on my throat, which I'd had for a couple of years. I went to see, actually, Mick's throat guy. I went to see the best man in the world: Peter Rhys Evans, who's a surgeon and throat man. They looked, and it was benign, and 'we should take it out.' He took it out, looked on the slide, it had tiny cancer cells on it. He said, ‘You have cancer of the whatever ...’ And that night I thought I was going to die. I thought that’s what you did. If you get cancer, you waste away and die. I had another operation to take the lymph nodes out. And then I went on radio therapy, which was six weeks long, every week, every month, every year. Now it’s five years clear." - [UltimateClassicRock.com] , [www.BBC.co.uk] - (Pos. 50 mins).

Charlie about throat cancer and recovery - "I’ve been very lucky. They caught the cancer early. It was just a lot of work getting the muscles in order again. Mick’s physio [personal trainer] looks after me." Q: "What exercises are you doing to get back in shape?" A: "I do stretching and sit-ups. They removed all the lymph nodes [points to throat]. When they do that, the muscles go. Then you sit around for eight weeks in treatment. You can’t lift your arm. It’s like being minorly paralyzed. It was a worry, because of what I do for a living. We’ve got a tour, and I didn’t know if I could get through a song. You can’t stop once you get going, if you’re a drummer. A guitar player can lay back in the middle. A drummer has to be there all the time. I didn’t know if I could make it. I was fifty percent fit when I arrived in Toronto. But it’s amazing how quickly your body heals." - [www.RollingStone.com] .

Yes, very good information. Thank you Irix! Sounds like his cancer was similar as was his treatment. I have no surgery scheduled at this time. They are very hopeful of getting it with a similar radiation regimen with weekly light dose chemo. Modern radiation is highly effective at killing cancer but also very damaging to nearby tissue, muscles, mucosa, etc.

Date: January 23, 2022 20:51

Thank you everyone else for the kind and encouraging words.

I know it's a high hope but my goal is making a trip to Europe this summer and catching hopefully the last show on a possible tour.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 23, 2022 22:15

jazzbass
Thank you everyone else for the kind and encouraging words.

I know it's a high hope but my goal is making a trip to Europe this summer and catching hopefully the last show on a possible tour.

Our fingers are collectively crossed for you! Big hug from NYC.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 23, 2022 22:16

@#$%& cancer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 24, 2022 10:42

I have no surgery scheduled at this time. They are very hopeful of getting it with a similar radiation regimen with weekly light dose chemo. Modern radiation is highly effective at killing cancer but also very damaging to nearby tissue, muscles, mucosa, etc.[/quote]'

I had 35 radiation treatments over a 7-week course. I've read articles that HPV cancer doesn't require that much treatment. Hope you don't have as much. I really feel mine was excessive. Cisplatin is the worst chemo. It nearly killed me. Don't let them get near you with that stuff.

Re: OT: Throat cancer
Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: January 24, 2022 20:30

Best wishes to you.

Posted by: stones2 ()
Date: January 24, 2022 22:21

All the best ...

Posted by: exil ()
Date: January 25, 2022 06:39

HPV For me as well treatment was hard.tupes down noise for a year to feed me.80 kg to 46 kg.but still alive.turned down chemo.got them to burn the sucker out.

Date: January 25, 2022 07:27

exil
HPV For me as well treatment was hard.tupes down noise for a year to feed me.80 kg to 46 kg.but still alive.turned down chemo.got them to burn the sucker out.

They cut me open and put in a feeding tube. Better than the nose. I was just glad to quit starving and 'drink' liquid for months on end until my throat healed enough to eat ice cream shakes to put the 30 lbs I lost back on. 'Glad to be here, glad to be anywhere...."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 25, 2022 07:42

Heavy stuff ......

Stay Safe Boys ..... Love & Laugh every minute ya can ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 25, 2022 11:36

jazzbass
Does anyone know what type of cancer Charlie had?

As a person also fighting throat cancer, he has been quite an inspiration.

Was wondering if his treatment was similar to mine? Throat cancer often can be quite curable but the treatment is one of the most brutal of all cancers.

Gives me much hope that he went on to live many more years and tours, living his best life.

Hang in there

Date: January 26, 2022 18:14

24FPS
I have no surgery scheduled at this time. They are very hopeful of getting it with a similar radiation regimen with weekly light dose chemo. Modern radiation is highly effective at killing cancer but also very damaging to nearby tissue, muscles, mucosa, etc.
'

I had 35 radiation treatments over a 7-week course. I've read articles that HPV cancer doesn't require that much treatment. Hope you don't have as much. I really feel mine was excessive. Cisplatin is the worst chemo. It nearly killed me. Don't let them get near you with that stuff.[/quote]

Yes, Cisplatin Chemo for me as well. It is brutal. 35 radiation sessions. According to my calculations, the Stones have 35 official studio albums and live albums. (Not including any kind of compilation or bootleg, official or otherwise.) So, I have been listening to one album per radiation session in chronological order. Today is Between the Buttons.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 26, 2022 18:28

Strength to you, Jazzbass!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 26, 2022 21:13

jazzbass
24FPS
I have no surgery scheduled at this time. They are very hopeful of getting it with a similar radiation regimen with weekly light dose chemo. Modern radiation is highly effective at killing cancer but also very damaging to nearby tissue, muscles, mucosa, etc.
'

I had 35 radiation treatments over a 7-week course. I've read articles that HPV cancer doesn't require that much treatment. Hope you don't have as much. I really feel mine was excessive. Cisplatin is the worst chemo. It nearly killed me. Don't let them get near you with that stuff.

Yes, Cisplatin Chemo for me as well. It is brutal. 35 radiation sessions. According to my calculations, the Stones have 35 official studio albums and live albums. (Not including any kind of compilation or bootleg, official or otherwise.) So, I have been listening to one album per radiation session in chronological order. Today is Between the Buttons.[/quote]

Aye strength to you man.

Date: January 27, 2022 09:43

jazzbass
Yes, Cisplatin Chemo for me as well. It is brutal. 35 radiation sessions. According to my calculations, the Stones have 35 official studio albums and live albums. (Not including any kind of compilation or bootleg, official or otherwise.) So, I have been listening to one album per radiation session in chronological order. Today is Between the Buttons.[/quote]

Cisplatin was the strangest thing ever. It turned my sense of smell all around. There's a McDonalds up the street, and I was used to its particular odor. I walked past it after treatment and it smelled like overly sweet funeral flowers, on Mars. That was scary to not have your sense of smell register the truth. Plus it made me exceedingly weak. I complained to the oncologist and he casually said, "Oh, bad reaction, huh? We'll try another kind." They did, and I had no problems with it. Hang in there. Just let it all wash over you. This too shall pass.

Date: January 27, 2022 10:32

24FPS
jazzbass
Yes, Cisplatin Chemo for me as well. It is brutal. 35 radiation sessions. According to my calculations, the Stones have 35 official studio albums and live albums. (Not including any kind of compilation or bootleg, official or otherwise.) So, I have been listening to one album per radiation session in chronological order. Today is Between the Buttons.

Cisplatin was the strangest thing ever. It turned my sense of smell all around. There's a McDonalds up the street, and I was used to its particular odor. I walked past it after treatment and it smelled like overly sweet funeral flowers, on Mars. That was scary to not have your sense of smell register the truth. Plus it made me exceedingly weak. I complained to the oncologist and he casually said, "Oh, bad reaction, huh? We'll try another kind." They did, and I had no problems with it. Hang in there. Just let it all wash over you. This too shall pass.[/quote]

Thanks 24fps, I really appreciate your words and perspective.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 27, 2022 23:02

24FPS
I had throat cancer from HPV. (You're welcome, ladies).
you need to find different ladies me thinks.

anyway, glad you're recovered and best wishes for a complete recovery Jazzbass
(btw, i pronounce this is as jazz-bass, like the fish, not the instrument for some reason)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1300
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home