Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Throat cancer
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: January 5, 2022 19:47

Does anyone know what type of cancer Charlie had?

As a person also fighting throat cancer, he has been quite an inspiration.

Was wondering if his treatment was similar to mine? Throat cancer often can be quite curable but the treatment is one of the most brutal of all cancers.

Gives me much hope that he went on to live many more years and tours, living his best life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-24 12:21 by bv.

Re: Charlie’s throat cancer
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 5, 2022 20:03

Hope everything works out for you with your treatment.

Good luck.

Nate

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 5, 2022 20:16

Yes. Best of luck!

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: January 5, 2022 22:03

All the best jazzbass. Hope you make as full a recovery as possible. Sorry cant help with what cancer Charlie had.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 5, 2022 22:15

All the best jazzbass.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 5, 2022 22:32

Sending you best wishes for your recovery.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 5, 2022 22:57

Said a prayer for your recovery.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 5, 2022 23:06

hope you get well soon

i don't know much about charlie's cancer maybe he talked about it in interviews but i can't recall

however i wouldn't be surprised if he never revealed much as he was such a private man

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 5, 2022 23:37

Best of wishes for your health. I had throat cancer from HPV. (You're welcome, ladies). The cancer itself wasn't so bad, tonsil area, but the treatment was barbarous, and the recovery long. I also think it aged me. I was definitely another person on the other side of it. It's just been five years so I'm considered 'cured', but I live with the suspicion it could always be hiding somewhere.

Charlie was a smoker, and don't think he fooled around much, so I'd be surprised if it was HPV.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 6, 2022 00:43

Thoughts are with you jazzbass, and all the best.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 6, 2022 00:50

Really hope all goes well with your treatment jazzbass. thumbs up

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: January 6, 2022 00:55

All the best. Sure everything is gonna be allright.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 6, 2022 01:11

Best of luck to you jazzbassthumbs up

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 6, 2022 01:15

jazzbass

Does anyone know what type of cancer he had?

Charlie: "I had two operations and radio therapy, which is the way to do it. I had a lump on my throat, which I'd had for a couple of years. I went to see, actually, Mick's throat guy. I went to see the best man in the world: Peter Rhys Evans, who's a surgeon and throat man. They looked, and it was benign, and 'we should take it out.' He took it out, looked on the slide, it had tiny cancer cells on it. He said, ‘You have cancer of the whatever ...’ And that night I thought I was going to die. I thought that’s what you did. If you get cancer, you waste away and die. I had another operation to take the lymph nodes out. And then I went on radio therapy, which was six weeks long, every week, every month, every year. Now it’s five years clear." - [UltimateClassicRock.com] , [www.BBC.co.uk] - (Pos. 50 mins).

Charlie about throat cancer and recovery - "I’ve been very lucky. They caught the cancer early. It was just a lot of work getting the muscles in order again. Mick’s physio [personal trainer] looks after me." Q: "What exercises are you doing to get back in shape?" A: "I do stretching and sit-ups. They removed all the lymph nodes [points to throat]. When they do that, the muscles go. Then you sit around for eight weeks in treatment. You can’t lift your arm. It’s like being minorly paralyzed. It was a worry, because of what I do for a living. We’ve got a tour, and I didn’t know if I could get through a song. You can’t stop once you get going, if you’re a drummer. A guitar player can lay back in the middle. A drummer has to be there all the time. I didn’t know if I could make it. I was fifty percent fit when I arrived in Toronto. But it’s amazing how quickly your body heals." - [www.RollingStone.com] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-07 14:05 by Irix.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: January 6, 2022 04:03

That's the attitude jazzbass! All the best jazzbass!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 6, 2022 04:11

jazzbass

As a person also fighting throat cancer, he has been quite an inspiration.

Was wondering if his treatment was similar to mine? Throat cancer often can be quite curable but the treatment is one of the most brutal of all cancers.

Gives me much hope that he went on to live many more years and tours, living his best life.

Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden also had throat cancer and he goes into vivid detail in his book.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 6, 2022 04:37

Keep up the fight, jazzbass.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 6, 2022 04:51

jazzbass, thanks for sharing your illness here.
May you have a long life ahead of you, filled with pleasures.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 6, 2022 04:58

24FPS
Best of wishes for your health. I had throat cancer from HPV. (You're welcome, ladies). The cancer itself wasn't so bad, tonsil area, but the treatment was barbarous, and the recovery long. I also think it aged me. I was definitely another person on the other side of it. It's just been five years so I'm considered 'cured', but I live with the suspicion it could always be hiding somewhere.

Charlie was a smoker, and don't think he fooled around much, so I'd be surprised if it was HPV.

Michael Douglas said the same thing about throat cancer and HPV, I remember thinking, man he's taken bragging to a whole new level. smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 6, 2022 07:25

Hopefully you have an oncologist that knows what's up, and if you feel that's not the case, look for others. Do not hesitate if you have any doubts - other opinions (observations) are good ground to cover.

Best of life for you.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 6, 2022 08:35

kovach
24FPS

Michael Douglas said the same thing about throat cancer and HPV, I remember thinking, man he's taken bragging to a whole new level. smiling smiley

It's dark humor. You need it to cope and push through the experience. I don't like to look back.

Date: January 6, 2022 10:16

Hang in there, jazzbass.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: January 6, 2022 11:01

All the best to you, jazzbass.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 6, 2022 12:00

Jazzbass,I would like to send my best wishes to you.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 6, 2022 21:16

Irix
jazzbass

Charlie: "I had two operations and radio therapy, which is the way to do it. I had a lump on my throat, which I'd had for a couple of years. I went to see, actually, Mick's throat guy. I went to see the best man in the world: Peter Rhys Evans, who's a surgeon and throat man. They looked, and it was benign, and 'we should take it out.' He took it out, looked on the slide, it had tiny cancer cells on it. He said, ‘You have cancer of the whatever ...’ And that night I thought I was going to die. I thought that’s what you did. If you get cancer, you waste away and die. I had another operation to take the lymph nodes out. And then I went on radio therapy, which was six weeks long, every week, every month, every year. Now it’s five years clear." - [UltimateClassicRock.com] , [www.BBC.co.uk] - (Pos. 50 mins).

Charlie about throat cancer and recovery - Q: "What exercises are you doing to get back in shape?" A: "I do stretching and sit-ups. They removed all the lymph nodes [points to throat]. When they do that, the muscles go. Then you sit around for eight weeks in treatment. You can’t lift your arm. It’s like being minorly paralyzed. It was a worry, because of what I do for a living. We’ve got a tour, and I didn’t know if I could get through a song. You can’t stop once you get going, if you’re a drummer. A guitar player can lay back in the middle. A drummer has to be there all the time. I didn’t know if I could make it. I was fifty percent fit when I arrived in Toronto. But it’s amazing how quickly your body heals." - [www.RollingStone.com] .

Thanks Irix. I somehow did not read those stories (interviews). In 2004 I only was told about Charlie's "problem" when I was organising the 40th Anniversary of the Stones' first visit to the Netherlands. The good news is that Charlie added 17 quality years to his life, jazzbass.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2022 22:19

.... stay safe jazzbass ... prayin' for ya

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 7, 2022 07:48

You are in my thoughts Devyn. Best of luck!

Date: January 7, 2022 14:20

These days doctors can do a whole lot. Stay positive. thumbs up

"If you don't c sharp you'll b flat". - Muhammad Ali.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 8, 2022 14:46

All the best to you, Jazzbass. Keep the faith.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: January 8, 2022 15:10

All the best wishes, Jazzbass!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home