Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sympathy for the Devil-backing track live?
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: December 29, 2021 18:08

Seems the Stones are using a backing track for this song when played live these days? Am I correct, and if so....Why?!

Re: Sympathy for the Devil-backing track live?
Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: December 29, 2021 18:17

They have a prerecorded percussion track...why? because it would sound pretty thin if they didn't have the percussion.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 29, 2021 18:34

yeah this is definitely some news a scoop you might say

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 29, 2021 18:35

"These days"? They were using it for the last thirty years.

smoking smileyRe: Sympathy for the Devil-backing track live?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 29, 2021 19:26

No way say it ain't so

Date: December 29, 2021 19:52

I am not suggesting they don't have percussion, although the Ya's Ya's verison doesn't have any and it sounds excellent. My question is why it has to be pre-recorded? That is why I hear the Broadway references...wardrobe changes, backing track...well, Broadway might get offended as they use live music.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 29, 2021 20:24

chrism13
I am not suggesting they don't have percussion, although the Ya's Ya's verison doesn't have any and it sounds excellent. My question is why it has to be pre-recorded? That is why I hear the Broadway references...wardrobe changes, backing track...well, Broadway might get offended as they use live music.

I guess it was one of those ideas back in 1989 when they started re-creating live versions close to originals. That suited to the technology and mindset at the time to make a fashy, modern show (like the things did for "2000 Light Years From Home", pretty much belonging to the same part of the show). Probably they liked how it worked, and haven't had second thoughts about it ever since.

- Doxa

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2021 20:57

It's never sounded like the studio version. I thought they generally used it in order to give them time to get back from a B-stage, or just a further break off stage. I can't imagine anyone getting excited about hearing it live now. Just another obligation for the greatest hits crowd. There's no danger to it anymore. They didn't play it again regularly after the 1970 European tour until 1989. I guess Mick must still love doing it. He sure as hell won't stop, no matter how much we'd like to hear a different song.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 29, 2021 21:05

In Hyde Park 69 they had back up percussionists. In 69/70 the song was highly rearragned, in 75/76 they had Ollie Brown on percussion. And since 89 they use prerecording track. I wonder if it's the same track.

Date: December 29, 2021 22:09

There is a live version on Love You Live and it was played frequently during the 75/76 tours.

24FPS
It's never sounded like the studio version. I thought they generally used it in order to give them time to get back from a B-stage, or just a further break off stage. I can't imagine anyone getting excited about hearing it live now. Just another obligation for the greatest hits crowd. There's no danger to it anymore. They didn't play it again regularly after the 1970 European tour until 1989. I guess Mick must still love doing it. He sure as hell won't stop, no matter how much we'd like to hear a different song.

Date: December 29, 2021 22:55

I love what Ollie Brown added. Bring him back in the fold!

I thought they might do something with in Cuba. No shortages of percussionists there.

Date: December 29, 2021 23:03

franzk
In Hyde Park 69 they had back up percussionists. In 69/70 the song was highly rearragned, in 75/76 they had Ollie Brown on percussion. And since 89 they use prerecording track. I wonder if it's the same track.

There's more than one version of the sample. In 2002/03 it was more in the way of a dance shuffle, in 05-07 it sounded more chonky if that makes sense

Date: December 29, 2021 23:53

What is next...Pre-recorded cowbell for HTW?

Date: December 30, 2021 00:09

You really do come across like you just found out about it. There's no progress in that direction going on and if it was it still wouldn't be of any concern next to the other changes they've had this year

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 30, 2021 00:37

Nikkei
You really do come across like you just found out about it. There's no progress in that direction going on and if it was it still wouldn't be of any concern next to the other changes they've had this year

STOP!

Next thing you're going to say Blondie isn't playing under the stage anymore!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 30, 2021 01:02

For what it's worth, they've updated the track a few times over the decades. The last few ones from recent tours have sounded more and more organic with the latest one on this tour sounding very natural and perhaps even tracked by actual musicians. Hard to say but still very effective.

If there's any song that can get pretty close to the studio track which always gets the crowd going it's this one...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 30, 2021 01:36

georgemcdonnell314
There is a live version on Love You Live and it was played frequently during the 75/76 tours.

24FPS

Crap. I just looked at the L.A. Forum DVD tracklist. Sympathy for the Devil was the very last song. I never expected it to be in that position. I never thought of it as closing, or encore song.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 30, 2021 01:44

treaclefingers
Nikkei

STOP!

Hey Treacle, I've mentioned here a couple times when I saw them at BC Place in 06, I was on the floor to the left of the stage. Opening number I could clearly see Blondie sitting down behind the speakers near Chuck playing the guitar. I was surprised at how many songs he was playing guitar on. Can't believe that was 15 years ago now!

Date: December 30, 2021 01:51

24FPS
georgemcdonnell314

24FPS

Crap. I just looked at the L.A. Forum DVD tracklist. Sympathy for the Devil was the very last song. I never expected it to be in that position. I never thought of it as closing, or encore song.

See also No Security tour 1999.

Date: December 30, 2021 01:53

DGA35
treaclefingers
Nikkei

STOP!

Hey Treacle, I've mentioned here a couple times when I saw them at BC Place in 06, I was on the floor to the left of the stage. Opening number I could clearly see Blondie sitting down behind the speakers near Chuck playing the guitar. I was surprised at how many songs he was playing guitar on. Can't believe that was 15 years ago now!

Yes Blondie assisted a lot during that period. No secrecy tho. If he played behind Chuck that was the norm as both Bernard and Lisa always remained backstage for the first few numbers in the set. Still the case today with Bernard and Sasha.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: December 30, 2021 02:17

In Ottawa during the 2005 tour, during the intro to Sympathy, Charlie had some heart palpitations...he stood up and left the stage for a few minutes...the percussion continued and Charlie returned...and the song continued.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 30, 2021 02:44

mrpaulincanada
They have a prerecorded percussion track...why? because it would sound pretty thin if they didn't have the percussion.

But it sounds completely artificial with the backing track...it's unnecessary imo...imagine of they added backing tracks to every song?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 30, 2021 03:35

Justin
DGA35
treaclefingers
Nikkei

STOP!

Yes Blondie assisted a lot during that period. No secrecy tho. If he played behind Chuck that was the norm as both Bernard and Lisa always remained backstage for the first few numbers in the set. Still the case today with Bernard and Sasha.

He played hidden behind the speakers sitting down but I think only that first number, not sure why.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 30, 2021 05:46

chrism13

It's not "pre-recorded", it's all samples, with the keys changed, from the studio recording and, very likely, updated with newer sounds. It's not a 'backing track' - that's what Kiss does.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 30, 2021 05:47

chrism13
What is next...Pre-recorded cowbell for HTW?

That's a sample as well - in three keys.

Date: December 30, 2021 06:14

DGA35
Justin
DGA35
treaclefingers
Nikkei

STOP!

He played hidden behind the speakers sitting down but I think only that first number, not sure why.

That is normal protocol for the first song(s). Background vocals always perform out of view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 06:15 by Justin.

Date: December 30, 2021 06:16

mrpaulincanada
In Ottawa during the 2005 tour, during the intro to Sympathy, Charlie had some heart palpitations...he stood up and left the stage for a few minutes...the percussion continued and Charlie returned...and the song continued.

???

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 30, 2021 10:48

I would have loved it if they had let the gorillas do the percussion work at the 02 Arena concerts ten years ago

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 30, 2021 11:27

liddas
I would have loved it if they had let the gorillas do the percussion work at the 02 Arena concerts ten years ago

C

grinning smiley ...and that would certainly have been a sight to behold !

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 31, 2021 02:58

DGA35
treaclefingers
Nikkei

STOP!

Was at the show, great floor seats. As the explosion started JJF at the beginning of the show, my wife in surprise dropped her full beer on my foot.

Good times!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home