Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1971 Poster : Original or Fake ??????? PHOTOS UP
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: December 29, 2021 15:51

I understand that the original 1971 Stones' UK Tour poster may have been reprinted in 1978 and in the years since then.

Is it possible to tell the difference between a reprint and the original ????

Can anyone describe the differences please......

Many thanks for any help with this.

I do not have a photo but it is the poster with a car on a mainly green background by the artist John Pasche.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 16:42 by Kingbeebuzz.

Re: 1971 Poster : Original or Fake ???????
Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: December 29, 2021 16:39

Date: December 29, 2021 17:29

thanks rockerparis

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: December 29, 2021 18:06

Matt describes the differences in his book.

"The most common reproduction has brown tones in the grass and shows damage that was copied from the source printed into the upper right-hand edge of the poster."

Date: December 29, 2021 19:51

ChrisL...........thank you very, very much. That is most helpful.

I haven't read Matt's book yet.....and obviously I must !!

Date: December 29, 2021 22:13

I think looking carefully at the paper the poster is printed on will also be helpful.

Paper today is different than the paper that was used 50 years ago.

Matt is a very good source for information.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: December 30, 2021 02:12

This is a cracking question Kingbeebuzz, the originals are actually EXTREMELY rare. I even have the print order, 100 were made for each venue. It was however merchandised later but of course that's not an original first printing. The most common reprint has browner grass, most of the reprints have damage in the print on the upper right hand edge of the poster too. For it to be real it has to have really green grass and no damage in the print but that alone doesn't make it real.

I was lucky enough to score one of these from the brother of a student at the time who booked the band for Leeds University. More recently I have bought one from a member of the crew on that tour. Both have the same green grass, no faults in the edge but the papers are very slightly different. So I think the real first ones sent to the venues are almost matte but other "original" 1971 ones have a slightly glossy stock.

From a picture I can tell if it's definitely fake but I would need to see it to tell which printing I think it comes from. The one posted above looks good from the image.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 30, 2021 11:55

mattleeuk
This is a cracking question Kingbeebuzz, the originals are actually EXTREMELY rare. I even have the print order, 100 were made for each venue. It was however merchandised later but of course that's not an original first printing. The most common reprint has browner grass, most of the reprints have damage in the print on the upper right hand edge of the poster too. For it to be real it has to have really green grass and no damage in the print but that alone doesn't make it real.

I was lucky enough to score one of these from the brother of a student at the time who booked the band for Leeds University. More recently I have bought one from a member of the crew on that tour. Both have the same green grass, no faults in the edge but the papers are very slightly different. So I think the real first ones sent to the venues are almost matte but other "original" 1971 ones have a slightly glossy stock.

From a picture I can tell if it's definitely fake but I would need to see it to tell which printing I think it comes from. The one posted above looks good from the image.

Date: December 30, 2021 11:57

ProfessorWolf
mattleeuk

thanks for the info

do you know where i could find a reasonably priced reprint?

always liked this one

i'd like to have one

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 30, 2021 12:25

ProfessorWolf

1970-73 Tour-Poster reprints by John Pasche - except the above from 1971 - [www.RollingStonesPosters.co.uk] . The 1971 Poster isn't even mentioned in his artistic CV - [www.JohnPasche.com] .

An alternative: 1971 regular Poster (610x915mm), $15 - [PosterGuys.com.au] . If you're in Perth, Australia: Google StreetView.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 12:40 by Irix.

Date: December 30, 2021 16:18

sorry....trying to load a photo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 16:23 by Kingbeebuzz.

Date: December 30, 2021 16:21

sorry .........AGAIN !!........another failed attempt to upload pictures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 16:36 by Kingbeebuzz.

Re: 1971 Poster : Original or Fake ??? PHOTOS UP
Date: December 30, 2021 16:29

Hi........firstly many thanks Matt Lee for taking the time to give me more info.

Secondly.......below are links to four different pictures of the poster in question.....they are the best I've got.

It does not seem to be a reprint.........any final comments very welcome

[www.flickr.com])

[www.flickr.com])

[www.flickr.com])

[www.flickr.com])

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 16:41 by Kingbeebuzz.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 30, 2021 16:42

Kingbeebuzz
(IMG)https://www.flickr.com/photos/117667577@N06/51788214550/sizes/c/(/IMG)

Not quite ... Always use SQUARE Brackets: [ ... ] (not parentheses)
On your keyboard, the square brackets are the two keys just to the right of the letter "P" . DO NOT HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT BUTTON, as this will give you curly brackets: { }. You don't want curly brackets either. You want SQUARE BRACKETS.

Like this:
[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51788214550_1b4b010df0_h.jpg[/IMG]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 16:47 by schillid.

Re: 1971 Poster : Original or Fake ??????? PHOTOS UP
Date: December 30, 2021 16:43

Thanks Schillid. .........I'm getting there !!

Date: December 30, 2021 16:46

Irix
ProfessorWolf

1970-73 Tour-Poster reprints by John Pasche - except the above from 1971 - [www.RollingStonesPosters.co.uk] . The 1971 Poster isn't even mentioned in his artistic CV - [www.JohnPasche.com] .

An alternative: 1971 regular Poster (610x915mm), $15 - [PosterGuys.com.au] . If you're in Perth, Australia: Google StreetView.

thanks irix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 16:47 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 30, 2021 16:46

On your keyboard, the square brackets are the two keys just to the right of the letter "P" . DO NOT HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT BUTTON, as this will give you curly brackets: { }. You don't want curly brackets either. You want SQUARE BRACKETS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-30 16:47 by schillid.

Date: December 30, 2021 16:53

I think the poster above is genuine 1971 because it has a thin blue line on the bottom edge to the right of John Pasche signature, below the car wheel.

If you click on the flicker links you can see it more clearly and the poster at the top of this thread (posted by rockerparis) has the same blue line.

I would be very interested to hear Matt Lee's opinion.

Again, thank you to all who have taken time to post.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home