Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones first Ed Sullivan show appearance
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 28, 2021 16:34

I know this has probably been posted here 10,000 times already, but what the hey, here it is again. I remember watching Dean Martin mock them and called him a jerk. I'd use stronger words today. Such babes in the woods...them and us back then...as I look at the audience shots and the Stones reacting to the "chickadees" as Sullivan calls them at one point.

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Re: Stones first Ed Sullivan show appearance
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 28, 2021 17:55

could have also been called Ed Sullivans first Stones experience

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 29, 2021 13:11

Also for Guitar freaks a major influence began with Keith sporting a Sunburst Gibson Les Paul with the Bigsby !

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 29, 2021 14:29

TheGreek
Also for Guitar freaks a major influence began with Keith sporting a Sunburst Gibson Les Paul with the Bigsby !

Agreed!

Keith was the first to popularise the model, I suspect. There weren't many - if any - high profile musicians using one in 1964.

Date: December 29, 2021 14:35

Big Al
TheGreek

Agreed!

Keith was the first to popularise the model, I suspect. There weren't many - if any - high profile musicians using one in 1964.
I keep hearing everyone and his brother and sister saying it was Mike Bloomfield that put the Sunburst Les Paul on the map , but I doubt he had as High profile of an televised appearance as The Stones did on CBS Network Ed Sullivan Show .

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2021 21:14

TheGreek
Big Al
TheGreek

Agreed!

I keep hearing everyone and his brother and sister saying it was Mike Bloomfield that put the Sunburst Les Paul on the map , but I doubt he had as High profile of an televised appearance as The Stones did on CBS Network Ed Sullivan Show .

Sure, but Michael never sought a national, or international spotlight. He was enormously influential on other guitar players. A cult figure, with a marvelous talent that puts him in the top five.

Date: December 29, 2021 21:17

24FPS
TheGreek
Big Al
TheGreek

Agreed!

which list ?

Sure, but Michael never sought a national, or international spotlight. He was enormously influential on other guitar players. A cult figure, with a marvelous talent that puts him in the top five.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 30, 2021 01:51

TheGreek
24FPS
TheGreek
Big Al
TheGreek

Agreed!

which list ?

My list. It's as valid as any of these b.s. lists. Hendrix number one, and then it gets murky. But I think Michael Bloomfield was a genius. His style constantly changed. It's almost impossible to hear him and be sure that was Bloomfield. The playing would be great, but hard to pinpoint. Bloomfield certainly had a wider range than Hendrix. I think Hendrix had a little more depth. Bloomfield played like Santana before Santana did.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 30, 2021 13:20

I don’t know a lot about Mike Bloomfield, although I’ve certainly read many glowing accolades aimed at him. I’m sure he may have used a Les Paul at this time - Jimmy Page was using one in 1964, too! - but it was surely Keith who was the first of his generation to truly put the model ‘out there’ to garner the attention of a larger audience. I wonder if Keith was an influence on Clapton’s decision to start using one in 1965. He was a Telecaster-user during his tenure with The Yardbirds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home