Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
do Mick or Keith like rap music??
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 23, 2021 18:09

I'm wondering if either of the Glimmer Twins has expressed their feelings about rap music. Obviously an enduring form of "music" but so different from the blues and R&B that the Stones built their sound on.

Aside from the odd sample (like in ASMB ) I don't see much rap influence on the Stones music.

Mick being the one focused on "contemporary" sounds, maybe he likes rap more than Keith does?

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-23 18:22 by drewmaster.

Re: do Mick or Keith like rap music??
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 23, 2021 18:22

Keith has it figured out and is loath, Mick likes it but hasn't figured it out

Date: December 23, 2021 18:38

"Rap — so many words, so little said,” quipped Richards. “What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” said Richards with a glint in his eye. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it, and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another".

Keith Richards

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 23, 2021 18:40

The above 2015 Keith quote - [www.RollingStone.com] . In 2007: "Keith Richards hates hip-hop" - [www.NME.com] :

Keith: "Hip-hop leaves me cold. But there are some people out there who think it’s the meaning of life,” he told Rolling Stone magazine. “I don’t wanna be yelled at, I wanna be sung to. I never really understood why someone would want to have some gangster from LA poking his fingers in your face,” he added. “As I say, it don’t grab me. I mean the rhythms are boring – they’re all done on computers.” - [www.RollingStone.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-23 18:50 by Irix.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 23, 2021 18:48

DandelionPowderman
"Rap — so many words, so little said,” quipped Richards. “What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” said Richards with a glint in his eye. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it, and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another".

Keith Richards

Reminds me of what Dean Martin said about the Stones and the British Invasion back in the day....

- Doxa

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 23, 2021 18:59

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Keith Richards

Reminds me of what Dean Martin said about the Stones and the British Invasion back in the day....

- Doxa

The case went to trial. That is a verdict. Not a settlement

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 23, 2021 19:12

I am sure they both admire the original rap music video which was shot outside the back of the Savoy hotel London in 1965.

Nate

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 23, 2021 19:22

Sure Mick does: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 23, 2021 20:01

Mick has said Keith is very bigoted in his thinking, which is true. There is quite a lot of hip hop that's good, musical and clever, but I do hate how it has taken over absolutely everything.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 23, 2021 20:05

StonedRambler

Sure Mick does

Here too:

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 23, 2021 20:11

Send It To me
Mick has said Keith is very bigoted in his thinking, which is true. There is quite a lot of hip hop that's good, musical and clever, but I do hate how it has taken over absolutely everything.

even if a track is musically good, to a musician it's still equivalent to a furnished apartment

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 23, 2021 20:23

Irix
StonedRambler

Sure Mick does

Here too:

Let em eam chicken, let em eat steak,
let em eat shit, let em eat cake

What a rhyme!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-23 20:24 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 23, 2021 20:48

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Keith Richards

- Doxa

Yeah. Keith doesn’t have a clue.
For him you have to be a one armed, blind 90 year old blues guitarist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-23 22:08 by BowieStone.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 23, 2021 21:14

The bits of talking Mick did during the song "Cops and Robbers" to me was a bit of "rap", but, although my son had quite some rap CDs (I, boldheaded greyish hairish white guy, even bought a Cyprus Hill CD for him while in the USA for work; you should have seen the faces of the black salesmen in the Tower Records store! Well, we had a laugh grinning smiley there for sure) I could hardly follow what those Cyprus Hill guys were saying, apart from swearing confused smiley
The good news is that he (my son) also enjoys Rolling Stones concerts and their music.
I'm with Keith about "so many tone-deaf people". It's shocking really eye rolling smiley, but there certainly is some good rap stuff around for even me to enjoy from time to time.
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 23, 2021 21:45

Send It To me

Kendrick Lamar is awesome (& I'm not a big rap fan). There is real music involved though.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 23, 2021 22:03

Yes this thread totally won't be full of straight up idiocy and ignorance.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2021 23:35

ROCKMAN

Date: December 23, 2021 23:36

Keith Richards --- MOJO 48 ----- November 1997

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 24, 2021 00:14

Hate to say it, but I agree with Keith. I've never heard a very popular genre, such as rap, not evolve at all. I tried to listen to Kendrick Lamar to see what the hub-bub was. It just wouldn't go in my ears. Same with the Grateful Dead. You can distinguish rock from the 50s with rock from the 60s, and 70s. After Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, rap died as an art form.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 24, 2021 01:07

24FPS
Hate to say it, but I agree with Keith. I've never heard a very popular genre, such as rap, not evolve at all. I tried to listen to Kendrick Lamar to see what the hub-bub was. It just wouldn't go in my ears. Same with the Grateful Dead. You can distinguish rock from the 50s with rock from the 60s, and 70s. After Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, rap died as an art form.
Give Kendrick another listen. I'm no big rap can either but Kendrick is very good. Or try an old favorite "fear of a black planet" by public enemy.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 24, 2021 01:16

24FPS

I’d say Public Enemy were the last great rap act. Since then it’s a joke.
Auto tune to the max.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 24, 2021 01:27

I've been to at least 10 rap shows this year, some (Isaiah Rashad) was better than others (Yung Bleu for example). Not counting the classics I saw (Too $hort, 3 Chambers).

LOVE Tay Money and Big Latto. Kinda dig the really skanky ones.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 24, 2021 02:22

always thought shattered had some early rap influence in it

which sort of makes sense that album being so ground in new york of the late 70's

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 24, 2021 07:15

I like some 80’s-90’s hip-hop: N.W.A., Dre, Snoop Dog, 2Pac and Notorious B.I.G. I have albums by all those artists. I may even still even give Straight Outta Compton the occasional spin. I still find it an explosive listen. I don’t mind some of Eminem’s and 50 Cents’ ‘hits’, too. I far prefer contemporary R&B, though.

Date: December 24, 2021 07:24

Kendrick Lamar -- King Kunta .... lurv dat one

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 24, 2021 08:59

Whale
24FPS
Give Kendrick another listen. I'm no big rap can either but Kendrick is very good. Or try an old favorite "fear of a black planet" by public enemy.

The time someone put it on I kept hearing hints of someone else. It just all sounds the same to me. Braggadacio is boring now. Hip Hop is a different story. That's some fun music.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 24, 2021 12:10

Send It To me
Mick has said Keith is very bigoted in his thinking, which is true.

Or does he think that to be considered a musician you have to be able to play an instrument? And have some basic knowledge of music theory? And bring it live, on a stage with a buch of touring musicians, playing live.

In that respect I'm sure 99% of rappers can't be considered as musicians.
"But I make loops with my computer, maaaan! I create stuff!". Yeah sure...

I've said it before but Keith grew up with the cream of Black bluesmen, then he discovered the joy of Black Jazzmen and reggaemen. Then in the 80's what did the new generation of Black musicians came up with? Rap, baby... confused smiley
From Keith's pov you might feel a bit cheated by the new generation has to offer. "urh urh urh... bunch of arrogant turds".

Imagine a classical music fan (b. 1943) who grew up with Bernstein and Solti, who realizes that in the last few years the new conductor in vogue is Andre Rieu. confused smiley

He would call that "crap" and rightly so.

For Christmas I'm listening to "The Cosimo Matassa Story" anthology and frankly it beats any (c)rap record ever made. I can listen to Smiley Lewis' "I Hear You Knocking" ten times in a row! thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-24 12:39 by dcba.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 24, 2021 12:39

Is Mick rapping on Hot Stuff

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 24, 2021 13:57

Paddy
24FPS

Auto tune to the max.

NWA "Straight Outta Compton" is a pretty damn powerful record, too.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 24, 2021 14:34

Paddy
24FPS

Auto tune to the max.

Little Simz, Brockhampton, Tyler the Creator, Nas, slowthai, Tha God Fahim x Your Old Droog, R.a.p. Ferreira, Kanye West, Armand Hammer & The Aclchemist, Jpegmafia, Westside Gunn all released great albums THIS year.

The evolution of hip hop is not the problem, it’s in fine hands.
The (your?) problem is you don’t listen anymore.

People bragging with PE, but don’t hear anything in, say, Run the Jewels, just don’t care anymore.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1213
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home