Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SF2 setlist
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 16, 2005 08:49

Thanks to PDog and EveningOfTheDay on Shidoobee!
[p081.ezboard.com]

1. START ME UP
2. SHATTERED
3. SHE'S SO COLD
4. TUMBLING DICE
5. ROUGH JUSTICE
6. RAIN FALL DOWN
7. AS TEARS GO BY
8. MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
9. NIGHT TIME IS THE RIGHT TIME
Band Intros
10. SLIPPING AWAY
11. INFAMY
12. MISS YOU
13. OH NO NOT YOU AGAIN
14. YOU GOT ME ROCKING
15. HONKY TONK WOMAN
16. SYMPATHY
17. IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL
18. BROWN SUGAR
19. JUMPING JACK FLASH
20. YCAGWYW (encore)
21. SATISFACTION (encore)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-16 19:43 by erikjjf.

Re: SF2 setlist
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 16, 2005 08:51

Thanks, Erik. I like 7-8 indeed.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: November 16, 2005 15:12

imo great setlist.....

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 16, 2005 15:15

Yeah, nice setlist.

Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: November 16, 2005 18:43

I saw the first SF show - and after reading the setlist from SF2 it sounds like I would have preferred seeing the second show - any reviews or comments regarding or comparing the two shows would make good reading......thanks.

Posted by: dlyon ()
Date: November 16, 2005 18:45

Following "Start Me Up" and "Shattered," Mick greeted Tuesday night's crowd with a reference to "balmy, beautiful San Francisco" in awareness of three glorious days of weather in our area. He then shed his magenta frock, (Sunday night was gold lame) and settled in for the night. Once again, his performance was captivating. The highlight of this evening was the enchanting version of "As Tears Go By." With Keith on a stool, cigarette dangling, this arrangement sounded more polished than its debut last week. "Midnight Rambler" continued the positive momentum and it took this long into the show to reach the apex. There was no such delay Sunday night. Clearly, Mick was inspired to his highest level that night (see Joel Selvin's hagiographic review in the SF Chronicle 11/15- it is worth noting that Selvin has been critical of the Stones in prior tours).
On this night, the set list was as diverse as we can hope to expect from the boys these days, but the execution was not nearly as tight as Sunday. "Oh No..." did not achieve its accelarated pulse, unfortunately. At one point on the B Stage, Mick effectively silenced Ronnie who seemed to acknowledge that he was about to play over Keith's solo. His direction and management of Ronnie seemed more noticable tonight. Later, during IORR, Ronnie sidled up to Mick as he was about to deliver "Would it help to ease your pain?" and, instead, tossed his head and thumb towards Ronnie and delivered, "he's a paaaiiinnn." Possibly a rehearsed bit, but it was quite funny.
For his part, Keith was uncommonly chatty. He told us," this is a good town, you know." I have grown accustomed to his "good to be here; good to be anywhere line," so this banter was refreshing if "Slipping Away" and "Infamy" were not. What I would do for "Luxury" and "This Place Is Empty."
All in all, it was good to see the Stones still bringing the best live shows going. Mick certainly seems to like the area, (perhaps because one of his daughters is here) and has proved that we should appreciate any chance we get to see him backed by the best timepiece in the business and accompanied by his Glimmer Twin.

Duncan, San Francisco

Posted by: cherry red ()
Date: November 16, 2005 19:11

I agree with Duncan that the first SF show was the better played of the two.
Sunday just ripped from the get go, a really unbelievable show. The best I've ever heard Jagger sing I do believe. Tight and explosive! What a show.
Last night was also a great experience but did not have the continuous, driving momentum that Sunday had. I was in the 14th row beside the track/runway and at one point, I forget during which song, it looked like Ronnie hurt one of the fingers on his strumming hand. He seemed to have problems throughout the night, shaking it like it was bothering him, with a grimace on his face. Maybe that was the reason for the slightly looser playing. It was still a wonderful time.
"As Tears Go By"--that was a moment for the ages. Magical! The weather so mild, with a full moon hanging pearly white over the stage, Mick and Keith at the front of the stage together. Glorious!
When the B-Stage rolled back to the main stage, Keith was right above me and a guy in the next row threw a big spliff onstage at his feet. Keith picked it up a secured it over with his things with a big grin on his face.
I thought that "Infamy" was played better on Sunday night and that "Slipping Away" was a little better on Tuesday.
I love it in "IORR" when Mick sings, "I bet you think that you're the only pussy around!"As he did last night.
You know, the Rolling Stones are the greatest entertainment act in the history of the planet!
It was a great three days in SF. Stones on Sunday, Patti Smith on Monday and then the Stones on Tuesday! I'm exhausted!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 16, 2005 19:24

As Tears Go By was a clear highlight - MJ screwed up the lyrics midway through and caught himself. Immediately after the song - he mouthed over to Keith with a kind of wry grin - "I fu**ed up!"

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: November 16, 2005 19:34

Great set list??? The first half looks great, but with Miss You back and complete warhorses in the end, no Get off my cloud the show is over at half time.

Date: November 16, 2005 19:38

I agree BersaGurra, but it seems as if our expectations have to be relative to what the boys are willing to deliver ( or think they have to deliver).

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 16, 2005 19:38

I think I would have preferred this set to Sun (the show I saw--wish I was at both!). But Sweet Virgina on Sun. was a lot of fun--the highlight for me--that and Rain Fall Down (sounded great live). I was hoping for Shattered and She's Cold.

Date: November 16, 2005 19:48

the setlists are getting entirely predictable. you don't think so? given Sunday's setlist - I predicted last night's setlist 100% accurately to my friends. not saying I was disappointed, but there is precious little mystery here.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: November 16, 2005 19:50

I was at the sunday show and I'm pleased, as it seems to be true here that it was the better performance, however I would have loved to hear as tears go by, she's so cold, and midnight rambler.

BUT ! I have a question for those of you at sundays show.
Towards the end of the show, I can't remember which song, I think it was either Brown Sugar or Satisfaction, there is the big ending, drums and guitars etc, and it stops, but then Charlie started drumming a beat again, with keith next to him with his back to the audience, and he starts playing some guitar licks. What song was this and please tell me I'm not going mad! I have never seen this done at the end of a warhorse, so close to the end of the show.

Also, do you all remember Mick starting up Sweet Virginia again all on his own, just strumming his guitar?! It was funny 'cos a lot of people didn't know the words or just didn't bother singing!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: November 16, 2005 20:01

Mr. Jimmy - you are correct! You're not going mad...but I can't recall which song they did that on either - I was just reminded it of it with your post...the recording, when it comes out will tell us which song.

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: November 16, 2005 20:04

I didn't see this show but San Diego had a better set list with "It won't take long" in place of "Rain fall down". SF wins though overall since they got 2 shows! Let's just hope that they play "All down the line" in Phoenix later this month.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: November 16, 2005 20:07

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr. Jimmy - you are correct! You're not going
> mad...but I can't recall which song they did that
> on either - I was just reminded it of it with your
> post...the recording, when it comes out will tell
> us which song.

Thanks T&A !

The more I think about it, the surer I am that it was Satisfaction, because i was suprised knowing it was the last song of the main set. Also, in my head, listening to the two endings in a live setting, satisfaction lends itself to the above mentioned 'jamming' better than BS.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: November 16, 2005 20:16

Hey T&A,
Nice to meet you last night. Great show, loads of fun, and thanks for that smoke!

Highlights:
As Tears Go By
Midnight Rambler - especially middle jam section - Jagger, Richards, and Watts were totally locked in

Other observations:
Ron Wood is irrelevant. Don't believe me? Listen to his "solo" on Tumbling Dice. Seriously, has he had some hearing loss? He barely plays and when he does it's was out of key, out of sync, and adds nothing to the tunes.

What's up with that?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 16, 2005 20:18

Last night's show was perhaps the finest Charlie Watts performance I have ever experienced. During the middle section of 'Midnight Rambler' he hit a grove with Daryl and Keith that was like the pulsing, beating, throbbing heart of a primeval beast. It was like the groove he got with Keith on 'Midnight Rambler' from Ya Yas but with a feel and a sound that only playing together for 43 years can produce. It was magificent! The evening could have ended there and I would have been happy. I have other observations I could make but I want this one to stand on its own.

I met up with T&A, his wife and friends before the show and had a blast and was well lubed before the show. Thanks T&A and let's keep in touch!

Date: November 16, 2005 20:20

yes - wonderful time with you lads! McParty - you are right, RW is just window dressing nowadays. It's sad to see/hear.

Fresno - here I come!

Date: November 16, 2005 20:31

Indeed, Chris M. points out that Charlie was particularly good, but when is he not. It reminds me of his famous line to Mick, "I'm not your @#$%& drummer, you're my singer!"

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 16, 2005 20:33

Metallica's setlist was better.

Date: November 16, 2005 20:45

better than what? a case of herpes?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: November 17, 2005 03:08

was in the first 10 rows dead center for both nights.....#1 was by far the better show, much tighter execution..

Mike
San Francisco

Posted by: spearshaker ()
Date: November 17, 2005 04:37

I hate to say it...but Ronnie's solo on Tumbling Dice on Sunday night was a disgrace.

His slide into oblivion is painful to watch.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 17, 2005 07:59

I have to agree about Ronnie. I love the guy but his solos were dissonant, unmelodic and detracted, not added, to the songs. It was truly painful to hear at times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home