Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Why did the well run dry?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 31, 2021 03:14

I Aint Speculating ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2021 03:22

Maybe your well has run dry...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-31 03:22 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 31, 2021 03:24

Trying to figure out where the constant refrain of "sad" comes from.
Lol.

They go where the money is, that's their measure of success and has been from the jump.
Pretty damn successful by that (their) criteria, or by anyone's measure.

Cheer up "sad", they certainly are smileys with beer

Date: December 31, 2021 03:25

Sad Sack ...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 31, 2021 03:32

It's sad for some of the fans deprived of any new music that the band has been talking about for many years...
But of course some will cheer on anything the band does...or doesn't do...
No new album? Great news.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 31, 2021 03:53

Rockman
I Aint Speculating ......

Are you Signifying?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 31, 2021 03:58

I never see all these sad fans I meet on the tours. Jolly group of degenerates generally.
Must be the same ones who only go to the best shows, they should be Happy then.

It's settled.
Prozac should sponsor the next tour smileys with beer

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: December 31, 2021 03:58

Hairball
It's sad for some of the fans deprived of any new music that the band has been talking about for many years...

Well said my friend. Constructive criticism or any kind of objective assessment of the lack of creativity by the band is seized upon by some as a kind of unforgivable treachery. Speaking personally - without in any way criticising different views - I am disappointed by the water-treading activities of the past ten years. Another of my very favourite bands - Hawkwind - still average an album a year. And they are led by Dave Brock who is even older than Jagger & Richards. Some of what they do does not work, but a lot of it does. And everything they produce at least has the merit of being interesting. Oh yes, and they still perform live too.

I'm not saying that The Stones should copy Hawkwind. Or that they are inferior in any way. My reference to another band is simply to provide another perspective on The Stones. In 2017-18 I saw Hawkwind three times in 18 months. Each concert featured around 20 numbers. Only FIVE numbers featured in all three performances. Hawkwind have their warhorses too, but are never afraid to move things around. I do wish The Stones would be JUST A LITTLE more like them in concert. At least sometimes.

And for God's sake can we get that new album over and done with? Or else come right out and say it ain't gonna happen. This 'will-they, won't-they' business is really tiresome now. Personally I don't think they should bother. After all the delays, and hints and leaks, whatever might be produced is likely to be underwhelming, and reviewed patronisingly as such...

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 31, 2021 04:36

GerardHennessy
Hairball

Well said my friend. Constructive criticism or any kind of objective assessment of the lack of creativity by the band is seized upon by some as a kind of unforgivable treachery. Speaking personally - without in any way criticising different views - I am disappointed by the water-treading activities of the past ten years. Another of my very favourite bands - Hawkwind - still average an album a year. And they are led by Dave Brock who is even older than Jagger & Richards. Some of what they do does not work, but a lot of it does. And everything they produce at least has the merit of being interesting. Oh yes, and they still perform live too.

I'm not saying that The Stones should copy Hawkwind. Or that they are inferior in any way. My reference to another band is simply to provide another perspective on The Stones. In 2017-18 I saw Hawkwind three times in 18 months. Each concert featured around 20 numbers. Only FIVE numbers featured in all three performances. Hawkwind have their warhorses too, but are never afraid to move things around. I do wish The Stones would be JUST A LITTLE more like them in concert. At least sometimes.

And for God's sake can we get that new album over and done with? Or else come right out and say it ain't gonna happen. This 'will-they, won't-they' business is really tiresome now. Personally I don't think they should bother. After all the delays, and hints and leaks, whatever might be produced is likely to be underwhelming, and reviewed patronisingly as such...

I for one do not look at it as "unforgiveable treachery" that people feel that the Stones should make more records, though yes...it seems there is evidence of that from some comments on these pages. It's simply that I don't feel that they owe us anything. It's not blind love for everything they do or even "great news" that they aren't making more music than they do. A new record would be great. That said, IMHO...lack of output doesn't equate to laziness as some have said. Seems to me if it isn't there then it isn't there. Whether it's because they can't get along/agree or because it isn't a priority because they'd maybe rather focus on shows...I certainly don't claim to know. But it doesn't feel like constructive criticism or objective to compare one band to another and say that one isn't pulling their weight somehow because they aren't doing what another band is doing. That seems subjective to me. Different strokes different folks. Different bands different demands? Maybe that's a better rhyme.cool smiley

Date: December 31, 2021 04:40

Sounds like Hawkwind knows how to get it done, and they actually seem to care about their fans by creating new music for them to enjoy.
In contrast, the old *Stones rake in the money by recreating a greatest hit's show live, and a majority of the songs they play are more than 40 years old.
It's sort of like Disneyland meets vintage Vegas filled with all the bells and whistles...well past it's prime ...and still no new album.

Date: December 31, 2021 04:46

But you just attended a show or two ...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 31, 2021 05:07

Yes, and at Lucky Dip prices the two shows I attended were fun - it was a massive spectacle filled with nostalgia...oldies, but goodies...tradition...just down the road in L.A.......not far from Disneyland.
But without Charlie, it wasn't the same. And ultimately, there's still no new album they've been talking about for many years now which is what this topic is about - they can't seem to get it done.

Date: December 31, 2021 05:12

Well there ya go ... two shows

ROCKMAN

Date: December 31, 2021 05:13

And still no new album yet from the *Stones........

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 31, 2021 06:35

Hairball
It will actually be 17 years and counting without a new original Stones album in just a couple of days...sad...

What poor math.

16 years, 3 months and 28 days counting January 1, 2022. Not even half way near 17 years.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 31, 2021 13:05

GasLightStreet
Hairball
It will actually be 17 years and counting without a new original Stones album in just a couple of days...sad...

What poor math.

16 years, 3 months and 28 days counting January 1, 2022. Not even half way near 17 years.

16yrs 3 mths … 17 yrs. What’s the bloody difference. Closer to TWO DECADES than to one, of the total inability of the world’s greatest ever rock and roll band to record an album of new material. 12-15 tracks. Less than one a year. Pathetic.

Rod

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 31, 2021 13:21

One Studio album of new material in the last 23 years

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 31, 2021 13:39

Hairball
Sounds like Hawkwind knows how to get it done, and they actually seem to care about their fans by creating new music for them to enjoy.
In contrast, the old *Stones rake in the money by recreating a greatest hit's show live, and a majority of the songs they play are more than 40 years old.
It's sort of like Disneyland meets vintage Vegas filled with all the bells and whistles...well past it's prime ...and still no new album.
I love your analogy of the Stones and Disneyland . Throw in some cid and Space Mountain and let the fun commence !

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 31, 2021 14:13

Seems to me that when it comes to a studio record they are by now a bit like a high diver with "the yips" on the edge of the 10m board !

They just don't know whether they have a good album or not...and they daren't release it

Date: December 31, 2021 14:26

If we're going to bring the mighty Hawkwind into this, I thought I'd link to the documentary I made about them back in the noughties ...
Hawklords are pretty good too ...
video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 31, 2021 14:27

Albums aren’t moneymakers anymore, whereas live shows have been for 30 years. why diminish your artistic legacy if you think the album won’t make any money and is mediocre. Plus Mick and Keith probably don’t agree on what kind of music to create

Date: December 31, 2021 14:38

My thoughts, regarding the original question Stoneage asked, I don't think the well ran dry.

But the Stones got old and 'irrelevant' for the youngsters, hence the hits stopped coming.

I don't doubt for a second that singles like Love Is Strong and Saint Of Me would have been great hits had they been released in the 60s or 70s.

After 2005 they didn’t really bother.

Date: December 31, 2021 14:58

DandelionPowderman
My thoughts, regarding the original question Stoneage asked, I don't think the well ran dry.

But the Stones got old and 'irrelevant' for the youngsters, hence the hits stopped coming.

I don't doubt for a second that singles like Love Is Strong and Saint Of Me would have been great hits had they been released in the 60s or 70s.

Yup, That's about the size of it .

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 31, 2021 16:22

DandelionPowderman

After 2005 they didn’t really bother.

So…it IS just about the money then, the LIVE shows? They’re not creative musicians anymore?

Rod

Date: December 31, 2021 16:40

Yes they are ...but most artists peak in their younger ambitious years.

Mick & Keith are nearly 80 for goodness sake .

I for one don't blame them for going on the road whilst they're able and whilst it can still earn millions for their families .

[It's all relative of course . Someone like me just wonders how many millions of pounds one person can possibly need confused smiley ]

Date: December 31, 2021 16:59

At this point, if they released a new album, it really has a lot riding on it.

IF it flopped, it's like, "17 YEARS (OK 16 years 3 months) WE WAITED FOR THIS???!".

So there's a fair amount of pressure to release something bullet-proof, unassailable, a crowning achievement. Easier to just not release anything OR, release an album of blues songs.

They know they can still perform them, but can they actually write them?

I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying there's some self doubt there without a proven track record of success in that area in over 20 years. Think about how trashed Streets of Love was when it came out as the lead single.

Anyway, this is a tough one. Hopefully they can get past this and release one final great album.

Date: December 31, 2021 17:20

Yep ,

that's why I compare them at this stage with a sportsman who has a case of "the yips".

It's like they have to step up and take the final penalty ...and if it goes over the bar, they're in the dog house good & proper !

Date: December 31, 2021 18:17

Spud
Yep ,

that's why I compare them at this stage with a sportsman who has a case of "the yips".

It's like they have to step up and take the final penalty ...and if it goes over the bar, they're in the dog house good & proper !

Yes...and I wonder if they both equally have that stage fright, or if one or the other is more concerned?

Mick has tried a few more solo things in the last 10 years, but been trashed for doing so.

If it doesn't happen this year, 2022, it isn't going to happen.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 31, 2021 18:27

Has Mick been "trashed"? It's more like he put out trash and helped to show that some people still care.

Date: December 31, 2021 18:33

With Bill in the band there were like 20 studio albums in 27 years.With Darryl , 3 albums in 27years.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1614
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home