Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Why did the well run dry?
Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: December 21, 2021 17:45

The mainstream music changed, The Rolling Stones also evolued but not that far.

So from my point of view the last big hit is Start Me UP.

After that, they got some decent hit single but none of them seems to be strong enough to enter their "golden song" list.

Personaly, "Out Of Control" is my favourite RS song post the SMU era.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2021 20:08

TrulyMicks1
Some of their best songs are from the post 70’s and I think they could’ve done the last tour playing these songs only. Some of my friends I saw No Filter with were very disappointed because they played all old songs. They were hoping to hear some songs from Emotional Rescue, Voodoo, Undercover, Bridges, Bigger Bang, etc.

Yes always a bit disappointing they don't play much of anything from the last 40 years as there are a handful of pretty good tunes,
and even stranger is that most of the oldies they play are from before Ronnie even joined the band.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: December 21, 2021 21:36

ds1984
The mainstream music changed, The Rolling Stones also evolued but not that far.

So from my point of view the last big hit is Start Me UP.

After that, they got some decent hit single but none of them seems to be strong enough to enter their "golden song" list.

Personaly, "Out Of Control" is my faviourite RS song post the SMU era.

But to get a hit as big as that from a re-vamped 70s out-takes at ages ( mostly) late thirties and early- mid forties is not bad going.

It's exceptional.

Even their big '78 hit is a big achievement really, having been written off as ' boring old farts' two years earlier..

A lot of young people like Undercover actually ( big respect) but it did not translate into record sales in a big way.

They were mostly over forty by then.

Which does not appear young to the mostly teenage hit-making market.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 22, 2021 01:10

Hairball
TrulyMicks1
Some of their best songs are from the post 70’s and I think they could’ve done the last tour playing these songs only. Some of my friends I saw No Filter with were very disappointed because they played all old songs. They were hoping to hear some songs from Emotional Rescue, Voodoo, Undercover, Bridges, Bigger Bang, etc.

Yes always a bit disappointing they don't play much of anything from the last 40 years as there are a handful of pretty good tunes,
and even stranger is that most of the oldies they play are from before Ronnie even joined the band.

One problem for the band, that I have not fully understood, I would now acknowledge. If they were to grant such a wish from long time hardcore fans, and I am one, who have had those, there is a problem. We simply disagree very much about which latter day songs that are great or, rather, almost great. One such song for me is "Always Suffering". One other is "Rain Fall Down". Many will scorn at the latter and almost anybody at the former. I will frown if anybody suggest for instance the quite hollow " I Go Wild".

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 22, 2021 01:37

Witness
Hairball
TrulyMicks1

One problem for the band, that I have not fully understood, I would now acknowledge. If they were to grant such a wish from long time hardcore fans, and I am one, who have had those, there is a problem. We simply disagree very much about which latter day songs that are great or, rather, almost great. One such song for me is "Always Suffering". One other is "Rain Fall Down". Many will scorn at the latter and almost anybody at the former. I will frown if anybody suggest for instance the quite hollow " I Go Wild".

i love all 3

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: December 22, 2021 01:40

It didn’t run dry as much as albums being secondary once the touring live band business model became 109% sustainable which would also coincide with Micheal Cohls promotion and $$$. Everything else became secondary to marketing the band as a live act and all it’s merch.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: December 22, 2021 02:58

Bashlets
IMHO I think a lot of the best stuff was used on solo projects since mid eighties. Some really good songs that if one or the other tweaked a bit would have been great. I think the creativity is still there but not the drive to spend weeks in the studio to collaborate.

I agree. A few of Mick's songs from Wandering Spirit (Sweet Thing and Evening Gown) would have been great on a Stones album, and Keith's solo album songs (Wicked As It Seems, Demon, Trouble acoustic version, side one of Crosseyed Heart) would have been great Stones tracks. It's a shame they relegate their best songs to their solo albums rather than put them on a Stones album. The last release I thoroughly enjoyed was Some Girls bonus disc...but it seems like I am a minority in that.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 22, 2021 02:59

No water?

According to Peter Tosh

And Gram

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2021 02:59

MMMMmmmmmmm yeah imagine Stones version of Sweet Thing ....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 22, 2021 03:08

chevysales
It didn’t run dry as much as albums being secondary once the touring live band business model became 109% sustainable which would also coincide with Micheal Cohls promotion and $$$. Everything else became secondary to marketing the band as a live act and all it’s merch.

In other words, they don't really give a crap about creating music anymore because all the money is in merch and live shows.
They did release the fine Ghost Town however, but it seemed a token tune in an attempt to give them a bit of relevance, when in reality their only relevance is live shows.
I wish they would reconsider their strategy and release more new music just as so many other bands still do - instead it's as if the well has run almost completely dry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-22 03:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: December 22, 2021 23:14

Anyway... If the well isn't dry, it must be f...ing deep 'cause nothing has come out of it for a hell of a long time.

Date: December 22, 2021 23:16

Havent ya heard that alotta
Stones music comes from the deep South ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 23, 2021 00:38

I think the taxman is a vital factor here. Living far apart from each other in different corners of the world isn't the best solution if you want something done. And spending less and less time in the studio working together (or on the road), as a result of that, doesn't contribute either. What was it Charlie Watts said? "Five years of work and 25 years hanging about", - or something like that...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 23, 2021 05:51

Witness
Hairball
TrulyMicks1

When one looks at record sales (US, since the UK is bizarre to begin with) in regard to their catalog prior to iTunes, basically, from 1978 onward:

SOME GIRLS has sold over 6 million
EMOTIONAL RESCUE sold over 2 million
TATOO YOU sold over 4 million
UNDERCOVER sold 1 million plus
DIRTY WORK sold 1 million
STEEL WHEELS sold over 2 million
VOODOO LOUNGE sold over 2 million
BRIDGES TO BABYLON sold over 1 million
A BIGGER BANG sold over 1 million

Looking at older albums...

STICKY FINGERS - 3 million
EXILE... 1 million... which means roughly 500,000 copies sold. Dismal.
GOATS HEAD SOUP - 3 million
IORR - 1 million
BAB - 1 million

Their 1990s-2005 sales are average million sellers - yet, aside from ONE SONG, overall, they've ignored that era since 2007.

3 one million only sellers out of 6 in the 1970s (not sure about reissues)
2 one million only sellers out of 5 albums in the 1980s (not sure about reissue)
1 one million seller out of 2 in the 1990s
1 one million seller only in the Twenty Hundreds

No idea what BLUE AND LONESOME sold in the Twenty Teens.

The record sales of the two 1990s LPs are solid enough to - all of the 1970s LPs sold a million copies. Although it's easy to think that the million only sellers had, for the most part, the same people that were part of the million that bought the multi-million sellers in the 1970s and quite likely 1980s as well, ie, fans...

They've pretty much ignored those million copy selling LPs with consistent equality barring a hit single, with some more than others (IORR vs ER).

They've seemingly purposely ignored their success of the 1990s LPs and A BIGGER BANG on purpose to promote, possibly, best of compilations throughout the eras of those being available (MADE IN THE SHADE for the 1975 tour, REWIND in 1989, JUMP BACK in 1994 and obviously the last two and, of course, without meaning to, BIG HITS 2 and HOT ROCKS) while not actually acknowledging those releases.

I've wondered over the years, if you've chosen to ignore at the very least singles from 1994, 1997 and 2005 from those albums, of which they had plenty of other songs they could play - why did y'all even bother recording them then?

It's such a strange thing. 'Oh, no one knows anything past 1981.'

That's not true. They've played Undercover Of The Night "quite a bit" and She Was Hot on several tours. They hauled out Sad Sad Sad and Mixed Emotions and Rock And A Hard Place on recent (well, since 2005-2007) tours. Obviously You Got Me Rocking the most - the post-1981 warhorse.

Such a weird thing.

Love Is Strong. Saint Of Me. I Go Wild. Almost Hear You Sigh. Anybody Seen My Baby. Out Of Tears. Out Of Control.

Don't Stop and Doom And Gloom don't count. They've only done those on those tours.

At least we got Living In A Ghost Town this year (2021). I'm gonna guess they'll keep it in in 2022... if they tour.

Do they equate the 1989 onward catalog equivalent to all the other million only sellers and therefor not significant albums?

That's something one could easily imagine Mick saying.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 23, 2021 11:24

It always occurs to me that trying to evaluate the Rolling Stones in terms of record sales can be a little misleading.[...and especially when comparing them with some other artists].

Why ?

Because they'll never get a lot of casual listeners buying their albums.

The Stones are a little bit "Marmite".

Folks either love them or don't like them much at all...so there are never many people who "like them a bit " buying their records .

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 25, 2021 07:43

Am I alone here in loving Crosseyed Heart, as well as just about all of their solo work, plus there are gems from Voodoo Lounge and Steel Wheels that I play all the time. The only one I did not like at all was A Bigger Bang.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-25 11:37 by Bliss.

Date: December 25, 2021 16:06

Bliss
Am I alone here in loving Crosseyed Heart, as well as just about all of their solo work, plus there are gems from Voodoo Lounge and Steel Wheels that I play all the time. The only one I did not like at all was A Bigger Bang.

i love crosseyed heart too and a bigger bang and everything the stones do to varying degrees

of there solo work i love most of it with a few exceptions

godesss in the doorway

superheavy

and bill's stuff

everything elsethumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-25 16:07 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 25, 2021 20:30

GasLightStreet
Witness
Hairball
TrulyMicks1

When one looks at record sales (US, since the UK is bizarre to begin with) in regard to their catalog prior to iTunes, basically, from 1978 onward:

IORR - 1 million
BAB - 1 million

Their 1990s-2005 sales are average million sellers - yet, aside from ONE SONG, overall, they've ignored that era since 2007.

2 one million only sellers out of 5 albums in the 1980s (not sure about reissue)

The record sales of the two 1990s LPs are solid enough to - all of the 1970s LPs sold a million copies. Although it's easy to think that the million only sellers had, for the most part, the same people that were part of the million that bought the multi-million sellers in the 1970s and quite likely 1980s as well, ie, fans...

They've pretty much ignored those million copy selling LPs with consistent equality barring a hit single, with some more than others (IORR vs ER).

They've seemingly purposely ignored their success of the 1990s LPs and A BIGGER BANG on purpose to promote, possibly, best of compilations throughout the eras of those being available (MADE IN THE SHADE for the 1975 tour, REWIND in 1989, JUMP BACK in 1994 and obviously the last two and, of course, without meaning to, BIG HITS 2 and HOT ROCKS) while not actually acknowledging those releases.

I've wondered over the years, if you've chosen to ignore at the very least singles from 1994, 1997 and 2005 from those albums, of which they had plenty of other songs they could play - why did y'all even bother recording them then?

That's not true. They've played Undercover Of The Night "quite a bit" and She Was Hot on several tours. They hauled out Sad Sad Sad and Mixed Emotions and Rock And A Hard Place on recent (well, since 2005-2007) tours. Obviously You Got Me Rocking the most - the post-1981 warhorse.

Such a weird thing.

Love Is Strong. Saint Of Me. I Go Wild. Almost Hear You Sigh. Anybody Seen My Baby. Out Of Tears. Out Of Control.

Don't Stop and Doom And Gloom don't count. They've only done those on those tours.

At least we got Living In A Ghost Town this year (2021). I'm gonna guess they'll keep it in in 2022... if they tour.

Do they equate the 1989 onward catalog equivalent to all the other million only sellers and therefor not significant albums?

Now, not to doubt you Skippy, a couple of the numbers seemed a little low, for instance I 'knew' Some Girls was 9 million...so I thought maybe your numbers were strictly US numbers...so I thought I'd check.

Here's a link to a website that purports to list the sales numbers...and they are massive, if they are anywhere near correct. So massive I actually have some doubt as to whether they are real. Sticky Fingers AND Let it Bleed AND Aftermath over 20 million? Take a look at the top ten:

[www.audacy.com]

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

EDIT...found another site with virtually the same list/numbers.

[www.thetalko.com]

So according to these lists its:

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Let it Bleed
3. Aftermath
4. Some Girls
5. Tattoo You
6. OOOH
7. Beggar's Banquet
8. GHS
9. EOMS
10. Emotional Rescue

All above 10 million except Emotional Rescue.

I wonder if they're somehow adding in downloads/streams into the sales as these are way bigger numbers than I ever remember.

Somehow, I just don't see Exile on Main Street outselling Abbey Road...but here are the Beatles top 5:

[moneyinc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-25 20:41 by treaclefingers.

Date: December 25, 2021 21:06

Bliss
Am I alone here in loving Crosseyed Heart...

Most real Stones fans do.thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2021 09:36

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Witness
Hairball
TrulyMicks1

IORR - 1 million
BAB - 1 million

Such a weird thing.

Now, not to doubt you Skippy, a couple of the numbers seemed a little low, for instance I 'knew' Some Girls was 9 million...so I thought maybe your numbers were strictly US numbers...so I thought I'd check.

Here's a link to a website that purports to list the sales numbers...and they are massive, if they are anywhere near correct. So massive I actually have some doubt as to whether they are real. Sticky Fingers AND Let it Bleed AND Aftermath over 20 million? Take a look at the top ten:

[www.audacy.com]

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

EDIT...found another site with virtually the same list/numbers.

[www.thetalko.com]

So according to these lists its:

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Let it Bleed
3. Aftermath
4. Some Girls
5. Tattoo You
6. OOOH
7. Beggar's Banquet
8. GHS
9. EOMS
10. Emotional Rescue

All above 10 million except Emotional Rescue.

I wonder if they're somehow adding in downloads/streams into the sales as these are way bigger numbers than I ever remember.

Somehow, I just don't see Exile on Main Street outselling Abbey Road...but here are the Beatles top 5:

[moneyinc.com]

Yes I was going by US sales alone based on what I found (UK sales are ridiculous to count no matter what). Not claiming they're absolutely accurate! But seem to be a good general count.

I do not know if streams/DL were included. Gonna guess not. Besides, anything before 1991 should be taken with a bit of a wink because it was all based on what was shipped, not sold. Double LP sales are, of course, misleading because of the pre-1991 and post-1991 counting of such considering that, bizarrely, EOMS was put onto one CD but LOVE YOU LIVE wasn't.

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: December 28, 2021 14:08

Hairball

I agree, but more than a “handful” and better than “pretty good” ????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-28 14:11 by TrulyMicks1.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 28, 2021 14:36

Global warming

Date: December 29, 2021 00:32

Custer County -- Nebraska -- 1886

ROCKMAN

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 29, 2021 00:57

I’d say global warming

IMO the last great stones album was Talk is cheap…. I know I know

Date: December 29, 2021 13:09

umakmehrd
I’d say global warming

Great album is an understatement to say the least as it's a super awesome album !!!!!!!!!!

Date: December 29, 2021 17:10

TheGreek
umakmehrd
I’d say global warming

Great album is an understatement to say the least as it's a super awesome album !!!!!!!!!!
agreed

and wandering spirit is pretty awesome too

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 29, 2021 18:19

ProfessorWolf
TheGreek
umakmehrd
I’d say global warming

agreed

And we are talking about albums released some music listener generations ago - it's been 29-33 years those albums been released, so the initial question by Stoneage is not very well answered by throwing those as counter-examples.. and neither actually was any big hit really, or offered any kind of hit songs, although Jagger's album sold well over 2 milloin copies if I recall right. Keith's album, selling about one milloin copies at the time when albums were selling like hell (for any big name that had been a flop), is a typical hardcore fan favourite, outside that bubble no any impact or interest. Artistically rewarding for someone, but not popular/hit-wise.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-29 18:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 29, 2021 18:28

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-29 18:29 by Doxa.

Date: December 29, 2021 19:16

Doxa
ProfessorWolf
TheGreek
umakmehrd
I’d say global warming

agreed

And we are talking about albums released some music listener generations ago - it's been 29-33 years those albums been released, so the initial question by Stoneage is not very well answered by throwing those as counter-examples.. and neither actually was any big hit really, or offered any kind of hit songs, although Jagger's album sold well over 2 milloin copies if I recall right. Keith's album, selling about one milloin copies at the time when albums were selling like hell (for any big name that had been a flop), is a typical hardcore fan favourite, outside that bubble no any impact or interest. Artistically rewarding for someone, but not popular/hit-wise.

- Doxa
Can you imagine Mick's lead vocals on this track versus Keith's ? You know for sure that Keith wrote this album with the intention of this being a Rolling Stones album ?[www.youtube.com] Such catchy lyrics as well IMHO . Also great guitar work from Waddy Wachtel ( I can hear Ronnie tearing it up on this track ) How about the track of I could have Stood You Up ? [www.youtube.com] This stuff is killer . Can we make an argument that before the well ran dry this was the last "Loving Cup" from the brew ?

Date: December 29, 2021 19:17

TheGreek
Doxa
ProfessorWolf
TheGreek
umakmehrd
I’d say global warming

agreed

- Doxa
Can you imagine Mick's lead vocals on this track versus Keith's ? You know for sure that Keith wrote this album with the intention of this being a Rolling Stones album ?[www.youtube.com] Such catchy lyrics as well IMHO . Also great guitar work from Waddy Wachtel ( I can hear Ronnie tearing it up on this track ) How about the track of I could have Stood You Up ? [www.youtube.com] This stuff is killer . Can we make an argument that before the well ran dry this was the last "Loving Cup" from the brew ?
Also listen to the late great Bobby Keys Sax on I could have Stood You Up . I really miss his big Sax !!!!!!!! Sax player's such as Bobby Keys and the Big Man himself Clarence Clemons don't come around often in life and there beauty is that they have there own signature tone that you can hear from a country mile away !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-29 19:20 by TheGreek.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home