Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MOJO Jan 2022 issue : The Rolling Stones - Life After Charlie
Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 13, 2021 23:30

MOJO Magazine issue 338 dated January 2022 is featuring nine pages of The Rolling Stones, as well as the front page picture, with the headline "The Rolling Stones - Life After Charlie".

There is a report from the Charlotte show of the No Filter USa Tour 2021, a front row fans picture from the Nashville show, interviews with Mick and Keith, talking about Charlie, and more.

Mick Jagger quote, response to the question "Could this be the last tour?":
"I don't know. I mean, anything could happen. You know, if things are good next year and everyone feels good about touring, I'm sure we will do shows. I'm just trying to concentrate on this tour now."

In short, a great special - recommended.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-13 23:37 by bv.

Re: MOJO Jan 2022 issue : The Rolling Stones - Life After Charlie
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 14, 2021 00:00

bv

Mick Jagger quote, response to the question "Could this be the last tour?":
"I don't know. I mean, anything could happen. You know, if things are good next year and everyone feels good about touring, I'm sure we will do shows. I'm just trying to concentrate on this tour now."

He said the same sentence to David Fricke (Rolling Stone), 23-Sep-2021 - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: December 14, 2021 00:04

Thanks... heading right over to the local B&N.

I like that cover shot, and had recently been musing that the 2022 album cover probably will be something like it. All four of them, with Charlie forefront.

But a shot from the past decade, of course.

And one with Charlie smiling.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 14, 2021 00:25

From [www.PressReader.com] :

Also available digitally at [www.Zinio.com] .

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 14, 2021 00:52

Lovely, thanks Bjornulf. I recognize some of those Nashville fans, am sure they’ll be thrilled to be in the article.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 14, 2021 01:02

They refer to Might Jagger....

That claim about the steel wheels stage being $40 million, bullshit surely? $4 million might make sense. But $40mil in 1989??

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 14, 2021 01:59

A cover picture of the 70s Stones without Bill? And the writer talks about them getting over Brian Jones, and L'wren, when Bill was the bigger hurdle. They'd already replaced Brian. At least Gly Johns gets it. Charlie and Bill, together, were the backbone of the band. And no, they were never the same again. I think you could have a live drummer, like Steve, kind of replace Charlie. But I'm not sure if could be done in the studio and still have that spark of Stones magic.

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: December 14, 2021 02:03

That’s me in that picture- love it. I definitely need to score a few copies

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 14, 2021 03:38

JDSAM1994
That’s me in that picture- love it. I definitely need to score a few copies

That's awesome!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 14, 2021 14:12

24FPS
A cover picture of the 70s Stones without Bill? And the writer talks about them getting over Brian Jones, and L'wren, when Bill was the bigger hurdle. They'd already replaced Brian. At least Gly Johns gets it. Charlie and Bill, together, were the backbone of the band. And no, they were never the same again. I think you could have a live drummer, like Steve, kind of replace Charlie. But I'm not sure if could be done in the studio and still have that spark of Stones magic.
In a lot of ways for me looking back since Bill left and it's only hindsight that the sound/dynamic of the band changed irrevocably since Bill Wyman's behemoth larger than a dinosaur gargantuan bass left the band . No disrespect intended to Daryl ,plus Daryl is mixed way lower in the live band sound . It's just not the same .

Date: December 14, 2021 14:30

From when I was a kid and got into the Stones I remember one Gent that said that the Stones were always known for some heavy duty super pounding deep bass . The same as when the "Ox" or "Thunderfingers" John Entwistle passed away and was replaced by Pino Palladino who is a fine bassist in his own right is not the same sound what so ever . Guys like this are rare in the industry . For example you don't replace a John Henry Bonham in Led Zeppelin , or Keith Moon from the Who to name a few . It's never the same . People like the ones I have mentioned have a signature sound which is unique and can be instantly recognized anywhere , and that is what is missing today .

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 14, 2021 14:47

As nice it it to read this - is it really ok to copy/publish this here?
If no one buys the actual magazine, it won´t be no more...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 14, 2021 15:15

Bill Wyman's last show as a Rolling Stone was 31 years ago at Wembley Stadium 1990. Then he quit. I think the MOJO cover is great. Charlie in the front, because sadly passed away, so the story is dedicated to Charlie. Then the three remaining members, who carried the current 2021 tour, on the same front page.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: December 14, 2021 16:02

rootsman

It always amazes me how folks on here think they can post copyrighted articles as if they own them. These are the private property of the authors and this magazine. This is how they put food on their table!

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: December 14, 2021 16:06

Gatekeeper fans:
"It's not the Stones anymore without Brian."
"It's not the Stones anymore without Mick Taylor."
"It's not the Stones anymore without Bill Wyman."
"It's not the Stones anymore without Charlie."

Here's the thing: People, unfortunately, die, resign, or are fired from their band.

We, as fans, DON'T GET TO DECIDE what the remaining members of the band end up doing.

Mick, Keith and Ronnie are still members of the Rolling Stones. They get to decide as to whether or not to continue touring under the Rolling Stones banner.

What we get to decide is to whether to buy a ticket or not. Full stop.

Steve Jordan did an amazing job, sitting in for Charlie. SJ respects the band, the music, and the enormity of the gig. From watching the YouTube videos, I saw and heard some upbeat tempos. The time they did Shattered, SJ's playing drove that song.

Look, I miss Charlie. I wish he still was down in the engine room.
He isn't. I think that Steve was the ONLY person that could sit in for him.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 14, 2021 16:28

Woody24
rootsman

It always amazes me how folks on here think they can post copyrighted articles as if they own them. These are the private property of the authors and this magazine. This is how they put food on their table!

It's a fan site, with fans sharing all kinds of info amongst themselves and crediting the source.
Won't move the needle much either way, but if anything it has made me want to to buy it.

Unclinch.

Date: December 14, 2021 17:06

dennycranium
Gatekeeper fans:

Here's the thing: People, unfortunately, die, resign, or are fired from their band.

We, as fans, DON'T GET TO DECIDE what the remaining members of the band end up doing.

Mick, Keith and Ronnie are still members of the Rolling Stones. They get to decide as to whether or not to continue touring under the Rolling Stones banner.

Steve Jordan did an amazing job, sitting in for Charlie. SJ respects the band, the music, and the enormity of the gig. From watching the YouTube videos, I saw and heard some upbeat tempos. The time they did Shattered, SJ's playing drove that song.

The entire rhythm section is gone ! That will and has changed the sound/ dynamic . Fact ! Can the Rolling Stones still rock ? Of Course they can , just different is all .

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 14, 2021 17:13

dennycranium
Gatekeeper fans:

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 14, 2021 18:58

Paddy
They refer to Might Jagger....

That claim about the steel wheels stage being $40 million, bullshit surely? $4 million might make sense. But $40mil in 1989??

That is wrong. They had two stages (some sites say 4) for that tour and the stage cost was at least $1 million per stage - so maybe they meant $4 million, although adding a zero is a specific move, not an accident, so not exactly a typo - just wrong information.

The Stones were guaranteed $70 million for the tour, plus profits. It was $50 million in ticket sales and $20 million in merchandise as part of the guarantee. They got almost $6 million from Anheuser-Busch.

The two-stage production has been common ever since 1989.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 15, 2021 15:05

Gatekeeper's spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Everything is a "Click Away"

What the originator's of "Independent Recording" did is all here for you

The Super 8's

Early Home Video Camera's

And today we have basically everything.

Posted by: RafaLadilla ()
Date: December 17, 2021 03:57

dennycranium
Gatekeeper fans:

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2021 07:15

TheGreek
dennycranium
Gatekeeper fans:

The entire rhythm section is gone ! That will and has changed the sound/ dynamic . Fact ! Can the Rolling Stones still rock ? Of Course they can , just different is all .

While I enjoyed the two L.A. shows I attended in October, it's definitely not the same without Charlie. They rocked, but sadly the subtle roll was missing.
Not sure what the future holds for the *Stones, but hopefully they release a new tune (or tunes) that have Charlie's drumming.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 17, 2021 08:47

TheGreek
24FPS
In a lot of ways for me looking back since Bill left and it's only hindsight that the sound/dynamic of the band changed irrevocably since Bill Wyman's behemoth larger than a dinosaur gargantuan bass left the band . No disrespect intended to Daryl ,plus Daryl is mixed way lower in the live band sound . It's just not the same .

With The Rolling Stones there are eras. The first three involved 6 string guitar players.

It's beyond a point of being picky, really. In regard to the 1994-2021 version of the band which, aside from the 4 now 3...

Studio recording wise... highly unlikely anything is recorded with Jordan in regard to the supposed new - and last - Stones LP.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 17, 2021 08:54

OK, so the Stones have got an original frontman and guitarist and another longterm guitarist, and the Beatles have got an original bass player and almost-original drummer, could the next phase be . . ??

Just kidding *runs away quick*

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 17, 2021 10:39

Aquamarine
OK, so the Stones have got an original frontman and guitarist and another longterm guitarist, and the Beatles have got an original bass player and almost-original drummer, could the next phase be . . ??

Good one!

Date: December 17, 2021 12:49

GasLightStreet
TheGreek
24FPS

With The Rolling Stones there are eras. The first three involved 6 string guitar players.

It's beyond a point of being picky, really. In regard to the 1994-2021 version of the band which, aside from the 4 now 3...

Studio recording wise... highly unlikely anything is recorded with Jordan in regard to the supposed new - and last - Stones LP.
+1

Date: December 17, 2021 12:57

Aquamarine

The noteworthy difference being the Beatles have not been active as a band since when they recorded Abby Road (8/20/69 being the final time the Fab Four worked together ) and disbanded .

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 17, 2021 13:11

TheGreek

The noteworthy difference being the Beatles have not been active as a band since when they recorded Abby Road (8/20/69 being the final time the Fab Four worked together ) and disbanded .[/quote]

I thought there was final session in 1970, to record I Me Mine? I understand John Lennon wasn't in attendance, however.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 17, 2021 18:32

At the time that front cover was shot Bill was still a big part of the band.To erase him from that picture is pretty despicable.Maybe the Stones are just following the “cancel culture “.
Some nice recent pictures inside the magazine.I doubt I will buy it,cause it will just end up gathering dust somewhere.

Date: December 17, 2021 19:28

Big Al
TheGreek

The noteworthy difference being the Beatles have not been active as a band since when they recorded Abby Road (8/20/69 being the final time the Fab Four worked together ) and disbanded .

I thought there was final session in 1970, to record I Me Mine? I understand John Lennon wasn't in attendance, however.[/quote] I stand corrected

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-17 19:29 by TheGreek.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home