Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: So, we do not have all the 1969 show recordings?
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 16, 2021 16:07

saltoftheearth
The question is still open from when the Rolling Stones themselves had their shows recorded professionally in soundboard quality.

There is evidence in the Gimme Shelter movie that Oakland was professionally recorded.
Being one of the earlier shows of the tour it makes me think many others from that tour were.

Definately Baltimore, Boston shows, MSG shows, Altamont

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 16, 2021 19:32

Gazza
Mr. Jimi
automaticchanger
Mr. Jimi
@ Gazza- how do we have JJF, Carol, and Satisfaction from the Saville Theater?

Those three were shot by a news crew. The entire raw footage has circulated for years and aside from some silent b-roll shots (back of the venue, behind the stage, etc) there isn't any additional performance footage.

Yes, I beleive thats what I've heard, but how does that work? Are they able to tap into the soundboard? And if so, why not just record the whole show. I realize at some gigs they would let the press up front for the first few numbers. Here, we have JJF, Carol, and Satisfaction, maybe because Satisfaction was the most "popular" song played, the news crew kept it. I think we have a bunch of shows that have at least the first number recorded by a news oulet- MSG 72, LA 73, some 81 shows, a few more I think . . .

A news crew would only be allowed to film a small portion of the show as what's called 'raw news footage' - and then would broadcast a few clips (it would be rare to have them broadcast a full song). Its not necessarily the case that the songs they would be allowed to film would be consecutive. If you look at the footage from the Steel Wheels tour for example, the local news crews always got to show clips from 'Start Me Up' and 'Sad Sad Sad' - which were songs 1 & 3 (although they were usually 1 & 2 in 1990). Things change from one tour to the next but they're simply not going to get permission to film a full show. There would be no need for them to do that anyway if theyre only going to broadcast a few seconds of footage.

Ah, makes sense. But how it is we have what sounds like soundboard audio from some of these news crews through the years?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 17, 2021 13:53

Eleanor Rigby
saltoftheearth
The question is still open from when the Rolling Stones themselves had their shows recorded professionally in soundboard quality.

There is evidence in the Gimme Shelter movie that Oakland was professionally recorded.
Being one of the earlier shows of the tour it makes me think many others from that tour were.

There is a difference between a soundboard recoding and a true professional recording. As far as is known only Baltimore and the New York shows were recorded professionally, for use on an album or so. Oakland, Detroit and Altamont were recorded via the soundboard for radio and video release.

Oakland is a bit vague, as apparently Bill Graham had camera's on stage for a video screen above the stage, and videotaped the entire show. If I remember correctly someone posted pictures of the camera's on stage on this board some time ago.

Mathijs

Date: December 17, 2021 14:02

saltoftheearth

It most likely started during the 1971 tour, when they brought in the Stones Mobile truck to record shows. An estimate is that from 1973 on about half of the shows were professionally recorded on 8-track tape.

Mathijs

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 17, 2021 14:30

Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby
saltoftheearth

There is a difference between a soundboard recoding and a true professional recording. As far as is known only Baltimore and the New York shows were recorded professionally, for use on an album or so. Oakland, Detroit and Altamont were recorded via the soundboard for radio and video release.

Oakland is a bit vague, as apparently Bill Graham had camera's on stage for a video screen above the stage, and videotaped the entire show. If I remember correctly someone posted pictures of the camera's on stage on this board some time ago.

Mathijs

Per Karnbach/Bernson's It's Only Rock 'N' Roll/The Ultimate Guide to the Rolling Stones, reportedly Boston on 11/29 was recorded for Ya Yas, correct?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: December 17, 2021 14:48

One show from Chicago is still missing in my collection,
and the other Chicago tape sounds horrible...

Date: December 17, 2021 16:15

Sighunt
Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby
saltoftheearth

Mathijs

Per Karnbach/Bernson's It's Only Rock 'N' Roll/The Ultimate Guide to the Rolling Stones, reportedly Boston on 11/29 was recorded for Ya Yas, correct?

According to Glyn Johns he only recorded Baltimore and New York with the Wally Heider Mobile recording studio. Baltimore was only recorded as a try out for the New York shows. It is uncertain if the entire show was recorded.

Mathijs

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 17, 2021 16:19

automaticchanger
The two shows from Auburn on November 14th have yet to surface as well. The circulating source for Dallas is pretty poor but complete.

A taper that used to come to record shows in Milwaukee for many years told me a long story about an HQ recording exists of Auburn. He was always vague about who owned it and where it is. This guy was a serious player in the tape circles so who knows.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 17, 2021 18:22

Mathijs
saltoftheearth

It most likely started during the 1971 tour, when they brought in the Stones Mobile truck to record shows. An estimate is that from 1973 on about half of the shows were professionally recorded on 8-track tape.

Mathijs
Probably those half of the shows are probably gone , since no one thought to preserve them.Maybe Bill Wyman has some in his collection. Why are there so few quality or professionally recorded shows from the 1972 tour. From what I read it was the music event of the summer of 1972 with huge news coverage and writers like Truman Capote and Terry Southern accompanying the tour. I wish I was old enough to have seen it. That and the 1975 tour

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: December 17, 2021 23:39

Mathijs

Mathijs

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: December 17, 2021 23:47

whath photo!

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: December 18, 2021 00:10

I listened to Altamont the other night.

Date: December 18, 2021 02:33

Mathijs
Sighunt
Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby
saltoftheearth

Mathijs

According to Glyn Johns he only recorded Baltimore and New York with the Wally Heider Mobile recording studio. Baltimore was only recorded as a try out for the New York shows. It is uncertain if the entire show was recorded.

Mathijs
Thanks for clarifying that info about the Boston shows. That was new info for me.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 18, 2021 04:52

Taylor1

Probably those half of the shows are probably gone , since no one thought to preserve them.Maybe Bill Wyman has some in his collection. Why are there so few quality or professionally recorded shows from the 1972 tour. From what I read it was the music event of the summer of 1972 with huge news coverage and writers like Truman Capote and Terry Southern accompanying the tour. I wish I was old enough to have seen it. That and the 1975 tour

How do you know there aren't? Just because a recording wasn't stolen/leaked doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 18, 2021 06:15

Sighunt
Mathijs
Sighunt
Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby
saltoftheearth

Mathijs

Mathijs
Thanks for clarifying that info about the Boston shows. That was new info for me.

According to Nico Zentgraf, both Boston shows were recorded.
And an educated assumption would also suspect the entire Baltimore show was also recorded as it was used as a source for Get Yer Ya Yas..

Date: December 18, 2021 17:01

Eleanor Rigby
Sighunt
Mathijs
Sighunt
Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby
saltoftheearth

Mathijs

Mathijs

According to Nico Zentgraf, both Boston shows were recorded.
And an educated assumption would also suspect the entire Baltimore show was also recorded as it was used as a source for Get Yer Ya Yas..

If Baltimore and Boston were recorded in their entirety, I hope before I depart from this planet that those shows are released (but at this point I would be ecstatic if we ever get a complete boxed set of the November 69 MSG shows in great sound quality and not just a teaser of what was released in 12/19 on U Tube). Like, enough already. Besides fans like us, no one else will give a shit about those shows...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home