Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT RIP Michael Nesmith
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2021 07:23

Jimmy Buffett talking about his song Twelve Volt Man:

Michael Nesmith once told me a story about a man he ran into down in Baja who is the unknown inspiration for this song. During the Baja race, Michael had broken down somewhere near East Jesus and went to a small village to wait for his repair team. He ran into an American, a fisherman who lived in a small hut with what he called his “essentials”. He had a collection of my albums, packaged margarita mix from America, an old Waring blender, and a tape player hooked up to a peculiar power system made out of a Honda generator and a Sears Die Hard battery. It seems he would fish all week, and on Friday night, he and his friends would hook up the blender and tape player and make margaritas while they sang along to my songs. This ceremony would last until the gas for the generator dried up. I got the inspiration to write this when I was in Isla Mujeres, a small island near Cancun, where life had escaped most of the twentieth century. The tough part was rhyming Die Hard, but with a few inspiring margaritas, the word came. This is one of my favorite songs.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 12, 2021 15:11

Nice articles about Nesmith's legacy from LA Times and the Guardian posted on Yahoo News

Appreciation: More than a Monkee, but a Monkee to the end

[www.yahoo.com]

The Monkees’ Michael Nesmith: a supremely gifted, innovative songwriter

[www.theguardian.com]

Rest in peace Mike. PS-Always loved that wool hat look (LOL)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-12 15:14 by Sighunt.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 12, 2021 17:32

GasLightStreet
Jimmy Buffett talking about his song Twelve Volt Man:

Michael Nesmith once told me a story about a man he ran into down in Baja who is the unknown inspiration for this song. During the Baja race, Michael had broken down somewhere near East Jesus and went to a small village to wait for his repair team. He ran into an American, a fisherman who lived in a small hut with what he called his “essentials”. He had a collection of my albums, packaged margarita mix from America, an old Waring blender, and a tape player hooked up to a peculiar power system made out of a Honda generator and a Sears Die Hard battery. It seems he would fish all week, and on Friday night, he and his friends would hook up the blender and tape player and make margaritas while they sang along to my songs. This ceremony would last until the gas for the generator dried up. I got the inspiration to write this when I was in Isla Mujeres, a small island near Cancun, where life had escaped most of the twentieth century. The tough part was rhyming Die Hard, but with a few inspiring margaritas, the word came. This is one of my favorite songs.

Outstanding story.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 12, 2021 21:53

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 13 December 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 13, 2021 17:38

I've met Nesmith a couple times. I always wanted to ask him if he had any interactions with the Stones. I regret not asking him now. Anyone know if there was any connections there? RIP, Nez. This one hurts.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 13, 2021 19:00

Rest in peace, Michael Nesmith.

A sad day passing for popular music. The Monkees recorded the most infectious, feel-good pop music; and Mike Nesmith was an instrumental component to that. I only know their hits, but their albums I’ve often considered exploring further. I do know that their third long-player, Headquarters, saw them branching-out and playing their own instruments, etc.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 13, 2021 19:29

Big Al

A sad day passing for popular music. The Monkees recorded the most infectious, feel-good pop music; and Mike Nesmith was an instrumental component to that. I only know their hits, but their albums I’ve often considered exploring further. I do know that their third long-player, Headquarters, saw them branching-out and playing their own instruments, etc.

Buy the album The Mickey and Mike show live. Great great album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-13 20:05 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 13, 2021 19:50

spsimmons
I've met Nesmith a couple times. I always wanted to ask him if he had any interactions with the Stones. I regret not asking him now. Anyone know if there was any connections there? RIP, Nez. This one hurts.

Nesmith was a visitor to the studio when they were mixing BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. There is was a photo way back when of him with The Stones and Andrew. I believe it appeared in a column Chris Jagger wrote about the London scene for fan magazines in the 1960s.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 13, 2021 19:53

Big Al

Headquarters is in my opinion, the best Monkees album, with three of my favorite Nesmith songs, as well as the well known song "Randy Scouse Git" and the Tork-penned, "For Pete's Sake," which was the end credits music on the TV shows second season.

It's highly regarded among Monkee fans. I even own Rhino's "Headquarters Sessions" 3-CD set, which dives even deeper with alternate takes, etc.

Headquarters is a good place to start if you want to begin exploring their albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-13 19:57 by loog droog.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 13, 2021 20:20

loog droog
Big Al

Headquarters is in my opinion, the best Monkees album, with three of my favorite Nesmith songs, as well as the well known song "Randy Scouse Git" and the Tork-penned, "For Pete's Sake," which was the end credits music on the TV shows second season.

It's highly regarded among Monkee fans. I even own Rhino's "Headquarters Sessions" 3-CD set, which dives even deeper with alternate takes, etc.

Headquarters is a good place to start if you want to begin exploring their albums.

Headquarters is a great album and I would consider that their real "break-out" album where they reportedly had more artistic control and found their voice so to speak. Also, the follow-up/4th album PISCES, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. (which contains Pleasant Valley Sunday), also features some nice deep cuts (in my opinion not quite as good as Headquarters, but still a very solid album).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-13 20:23 by Sighunt.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 13, 2021 23:09

Rocky Dijon
spsimmons

Nesmith was a visitor to the studio when they were mixing BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. There is was a photo way back when of him with The Stones and Andrew. I believe it appeared in a column Chris Jagger wrote about the London scene for fan magazines in the 1960s.

Wow. I had no idea. Thank you!!

Posted by: exil ()
Date: December 14, 2021 10:26

I remeber being on acid and that song sunset sam come on the tv .i thorght i was going mad.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 14, 2021 21:28

exil
I remeber being on acid and that song sunset sam come on the tv .i thorght i was going mad.

Hang on, everybody

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home