Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: It seems to be over for King Crimson
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 10, 2021 00:13

One of the absolutely greatest groups seems to have quitened tonight Dec 8th '21.

[planetradio.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 00:14 by Thommie.

Re: OT: It seems to be over for King Crimson
Date: December 10, 2021 00:43

I don't believe it.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 10, 2021 01:34

What a terrible band

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: December 10, 2021 01:39

I've never heard of them actually

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 10, 2021 02:33

With Fripp you never know, he's goos for everything and its exact opposite ...

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 10, 2021 02:51

"Sound To Silence". Is this a hint they'll be doing Simon and Garfunkel covers from now on? All joking aside, a band whose appeal I could never fathom. But, they're not alone in this regard. Others in the same I don't get it category for moi are, with the exception of a few songs, Pink Floyd, and nada for Rush.

Date: December 10, 2021 03:07

I would guess that Fripp simply got tired of the formula they ran the past couple of years (and perhaps the difficulties of touring in the age of Covid). Not the first time this happens in the history of KC, but considering the guys' age (and the fact that Covid doesn't seem to go away all too soon) it might indeed have been KC's last note (both Fripp and Levin are going to be 76).

It's just a pity they didn't come up with an album of new material. Jakko said in an interview not all too long ago that they had enough material for a new album but Fripp wouldn't want to go into a recording studio (or so).

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 10, 2021 03:14

Thommie
One of the absolutely greatest groups seems to have quitened tonight Dec 8th '21.

[planetradio.co.uk]

Click the link and see the photos of the audience. Literally every one of them wear face masks at this gig in Tokyo — it seems like that way, at least.

A testament of a gig in the pandemic times.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 10, 2021 03:22

Great band. In the Court of the Crimson King a stone cold classic album. First heard it played down a phone line when I stood in a phone box. The guy at the other end (Rod Stroud) told me he had a record I just had to hear. Stunning. I always loved the album Islands as well. Great band. Great memories.

Like ALL bands though, they tapered off though.

Rod

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: December 10, 2021 09:53

King Crimson was part of the warm-up program, i.e. opening acts in Hyde Park 1969 ...

Date: December 10, 2021 10:13

The clip of Fripp taking a selfie from stage, with the audience, in Japan – allegedly for the last time – was touching. Usually, it's Levin who takes the selfies after the shows.

What a giant! Thanks for the wonderful music, Robert thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 10, 2021 10:29

sad news if it means Fripp will have to stay at home all year long with his terrible wife Toyah, aka "hey everybody look at my titties!!".

Date: December 10, 2021 10:49

dcba
sad news if it means Fripp will have to stay at home all year long with his terrible wife Toyah, aka "hey everybody look at my titties!!".

Is she retiring, too? winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 10, 2021 10:52

Dammit.

As far as I recall, there have been just two albums in my life that I bought just due to a fancy-looking cover, not knowing anything about the artist or content: IN THE COURT by King Crimson (the best f....g cover ever!) and NO SECRETS by Carly Simon (well, you know...). And both turned out to be wonderful albums musically, although I admit it took some time to 'get' Crimson one (Simon's was easier, and it didn't hurt to notice Mick singing back ups in a tune familiar from radio without me knowing the artist). Been especially a fan of King Crimson ever since.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 10:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 10, 2021 14:40

DandelionPowderman
dcba

Hope so. cool smiley
I wrote it before here but it always seemed strange to me that a most cerebral intelligent educated lad like Fripp knots ties with (let's be kind) a slimmer version of Samantha Fox.
When you came up with a new standard tuning system [en.wikipedia.org] you logically should marry a 13th century English litterature teacher, or a woman working on cold fusion, right?

Date: December 10, 2021 14:46

Fripp stops playing only when he dies. He's too much of a musician at heart to quit.

Date: December 10, 2021 15:28

<Fripp stops playing only when he dies>

He only said that it's over for King Crimson. Solo stuff by Fripp would be more than welcome.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 10, 2021 16:32

It will be interesting to see what Robert comes up with next. Personally I would enjoy seeing a tour with his wife & a band. I really enjoyed their Sunday lunch series. They were a nice distraction during the darkest days of the pandemic & Robert was killer on some of the iconic riffs in the songs they were doing. I'm pretty much of the school that anything Fripp does is worth at least checking out.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 12, 2021 09:30

Stick to the Sunday lunch gigs with Toyah

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 12, 2021 14:22

dcba
DandelionPowderman
dcba

Hope so. cool smiley
I wrote it before here but it always seemed strange to me that a most cerebral intelligent educated lad like Fripp knots ties with (let's be kind) a slimmer version of Samantha Fox.
When you came up with a new standard tuning system [en.wikipedia.org] you logically should marry a 13th century English litterature teacher, or a woman working on cold fusion, right?

Ha! Well, that’s not quite fair, is it? She was part of the 80’s alternative music-scene, and did have a few big-hits on the U.K. chart. Samantha Fox was merely a page-3 model.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 12, 2021 17:42

King Crimson has run its course. Isn't Robert Fripp forming a new band? Fripp and the Nipps with Toyah and a bunch of backup players so she can get the glory.

Date: December 13, 2021 05:57

KC might be resurrected once Fripp has another vision as to what the next incarnation should look/be like, like he said the seven-headed beast Crim came to him in a vision.

I might rather guess that he folded Crim for now out of more pragmatic reasons like Covid, different taxing schemes and regulations in the various European countries (he complained about that w.r.t. touring in a blog post about 2 years back), and the like. Continuing the KC retrospective they toured the past copule of years would also have meant to revisit the Belew material in a more thorough way and some point, which in turn meant to get Belew back in the band, which is something Fripp obviously didn't want to do in the first place.

Fripp has folded KC already several times in the past so I wouldn't coompletely exclude yet another return in a couple of years - provided the guys (and especially Fripp himself) are still fit enough, and provided Fripp has a new master plan.

Date: December 13, 2021 13:49

doitywoik
KC might be resurrected once Fripp has another vision as to what the next incarnation should look/be like, like he said the seven-headed beast Crim came to him in a vision.

I might rather guess that he folded Crim for now out of more pragmatic reasons like Covid, different taxing schemes and regulations in the various European countries (he complained about that w.r.t. touring in a blog post about 2 years back), and the like. Continuing the KC retrospective they toured the past copule of years would also have meant to revisit the Belew material in a more thorough way and some point, which in turn meant to get Belew back in the band, which is something Fripp obviously didn't want to do in the first place.

Fripp has folded KC already several times in the past so I wouldn't coompletely exclude yet another return in a couple of years - provided the guys (and especially Fripp himself) are still fit enough, and provided Fripp has a new master plan.

I believe Belew was told by Fripp that "he was on the bench" (like a football sub), and that he would have to be prepared to "enter the pitch" (Paraphrasing from a Belew Facebook-post).

However, you have a point. I can't see the current incarnation of the band doing Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair-tracks.

Date: December 13, 2021 15:49

Yeah, Fripp said some such thing w.r.t. Belew. Just wondering if Ade only learned from Facebook or so that he need no longer wait to be called in or if someone cared to tell him personally ...

In fact they did a handful of post-60s/70s numbers with the beast-lineup but it was clear that the focus was on performing the pre-Belew/Levin repertoire.

Date: December 13, 2021 16:16

DandelionPowderman

I can't see the current incarnation of the band doing Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair-tracks.

You mean from a technical/musical point of view. Just too demanding at their age.

Date: December 13, 2021 16:41

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I can't see the current incarnation of the band doing Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair-tracks.

You mean from a technical/musical point of view. Just too demanding at their age.

Oh, I'm pretty sure they can play whatever they want. I've seen the current incarnation twice the last 3-4 years. They're excellent.

It's more that the style of the 80s lineup, music-wise, is a bit "off" from what they're doing now, musically.

Date: December 13, 2021 16:45

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

Oh, I'm pretty sure they can play whatever they want. I've seen the current incarnation twice the last 3-4 years. They're excellent.

It's more that the style of the 80s lineup, music-wise, is a bit "off" from what they're doing now, musically.

Ic. Discipline always has been my favourite KC album, and saw them live in the 8-tees promoting it. You could be definitely right though. thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 13, 2021 16:52

DandelionPowderman
dcba

I think she's playing in a jug band......spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 14, 2021 23:28

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

The are (were) doing Discipline. The latest incarnation of the piece by the lastest incarnation of the band is found on their live album from the 2021 American tour, "Music Is Our Friend", released just a week or so ago. They have no trouble playing it, but the three drummers are a bit too much.

Date: December 14, 2021 23:39

doitywoik
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

The are (were) doing Discipline. The latest incarnation of the piece by the lastest incarnation of the band is found on their live album from the 2021 American tour, "Music Is Our Friend", released just a week or so ago. They have no trouble playing it, but the three drummers are a bit too much.

I agree. Bill Bruford at the time could do it on his own, just like each of the three drummers here. It's just for the looks to put them in front there I believe.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home