Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Robbie Shakespeare - RIP
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2021 06:25

----- >>>> [www.theguardian.com]

ROCKMAN

Re: Robbie Shakespeare - RIP
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2021 06:50

Robbie Shakespeare, acclaimed bassist and record producer, has died at the age of 68. The Jamaican artist was part of the duo Sly and Robbie with Sly Dunbar.

According to The Jamaica Gleaner, Shakespeare had recently undergone surgery related to his kidneys. He had been in hospital in Florida.

“When it comes to reggae bass playing, no one comes close to having the influence of Robbie Shakespeare,” tweeted Jamaican prime minister Robert Holness. “He will be remembered for his sterling contribution to the music industry and Jamaica’s culture.”

Sly and Robbie had come together in the mid-70s after Shakespeare already carved out his own music career from a young age. The pair bonded over their varied taste in music but specifically their interest in reggae production. Their breakout work was on Mighty Diamonds’ 1976 album Right Time.

In the following decade, their status grew as they worked with artists such as Joe Cocker and Grace Jones. They were also responsible for key shifts in reggae music as it headed to digital, introducing the “Rockers” beat and later working with Chaka Demus & Pliers to create a novel sound that distinguished songs such as Bam Bam and Murder She Wrote.

The pair worked with artists such as Madonna, Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, The Rolling Stones, Sting, Serge Gainsbourg and Britney Spears. In the 2011 documentary Reggae Got Soul: The Story of Toots and the Maytals, they were described as “one of the most influential artists ever to come out of Jamaica”.

Shakespeare had been nominated for 13 Grammys in his career and won twice, once in 1984 for best reggae recording for Anthem and then in 1998 for best reggae album for Friends.

In 2020, Shakespeare was placed at 17 on Rolling Stone’s greatest bassists of all time list. “I appreciate the fact that others looking in can see what we are doing for the music,” he said of the list. “This makes me feel like a baby.”

“I am in shock and sorrow after just receiving the news that my friend and brother, the legendary bassist Robbie Shakespeare has died,” said Olivia “Babsy” Grange, the Jamaican minister of entertainment and culture, in a statement. “Robbie and Sly Dunbar as Sly and Robbie, have been among Jamaica’s greatest musicians.”

British musician Ghostpoet also paid tribute on Twitter, writing that his work will “never ever be forgotten”.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 9, 2021 06:57

Thank you for posting Rockee. These performances were priceless.

The Whole World is Africa
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2021 07:23

Very sad...............

RIP Robbie Shakespeare

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 9, 2021 08:17

Sad news. He was amazing. Last time I saw himplay.

Marcia Griffiths with Sly & Robbie 2017-07-27.mill valley.mk4.flac16 [spaces.hightail.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-09 08:18 by daspyknows.

Date: December 9, 2021 09:19

RIP, Robbie. Sad news sad smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 9, 2021 09:56

RIP Robbie. He & Sly Dunbar played with Peter Tosh the first time I saw the Stones in 1978. 1 of the best rhythm sections ever.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 9, 2021 10:09

sad smiley

(...and that's Robbie speaking in the middle part...)

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 9, 2021 11:37

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 9, 2021 12:04

RIP Robbie
Very sad news once again

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 9, 2021 12:35

Grace Jones will be very sad .... me too. sad smiley

Rest in Peace, Robbie Shakespeare - Thank You for the Music and your groove.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 9, 2021 14:30

So sad. He was one of his kind.

RIP Robbie.

- Doxa

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 9, 2021 14:48

RIP Robbie - Thanks for the cool Reggae beats

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 9, 2021 16:47

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 9, 2021 17:54

What albums did he play on? Aside from Legalize It (Peter Tosh) and Aux Armes Etcetéra (Serge Gainsbourg)?

Wikipedia just has a page with the Sly & Robbie productions, but I'd love to see a list of all the albums he played bass on.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 9, 2021 18:16

I am realizing I always wanted (since seeing the Waiting on a Friend video) to go back and learn more about Sly and Robbie and now it’s a million years later and I never got around to it. I guess now is the time. I hate when it takes a death to remind me of these things

Well all I know is Keith respected him, so im sure I will too.
Rest In Peace and thanks for your contributions

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: December 9, 2021 18:20

FrogSugar

What albums did he play on?

Collaborations - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Albums & Singles - [www.Discogs.com] .

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 9, 2021 18:58

Irix
FrogSugar

What albums did he play on?

Collaborations - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Ah thanks, when I googled him it took me straight to the Sly & Robbie wiki page instead of his, duh!

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: December 9, 2021 19:39

Very prominent along with Sly Dunbar on Infidels (1983) by Dylan. Sublime Sound and great Music! The New bootleg Series 16 around this album was released in september, very mucho recomended!

Date: December 9, 2021 20:35

CindyC

I am realizing I always wanted (since seeing the Waiting on a Friend video) to go back and learn more about Sly and Robbie and now it’s a million years later and I never got around to it.

Listening tip: first the original "Private Life" by the Pretenders - [Music.Apple.com] . After that the version of the same song by Grace Jones - [Music.Apple.com] . You'll hear the difference which Robbie & Sly made (Grace as well).

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 9, 2021 21:12

Irix

Listening tip: first the original "Private Life" by the Pretenders - [Music.Apple.com] . After that the version of the same song by Grace Jones - [Music.Apple.com] . You'll hear the difference which Robbie & Sly made (Grace as well).

Thanks!!

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: December 9, 2021 21:37

Sad news....What a bass player - Mr Heavyweight Sounds. I especially love his work with Black Uhuru.
He played bass on Undercover of the Night didn't he?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 9, 2021 21:49

HonkyTonkJan
He played bass on Undercover of the Night didn't he?

He played on Feel On Baby.
Sly Dunbar played on Undercover Of The Night and a few other tracks.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 10, 2021 22:52

sad news

RIP

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 11, 2021 01:54

Here Robbie is with Mick Jagger and Peter Tosh.

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 11, 2021 15:00

always loved Don't Look Back....that video sure looks weird though...Mick really pushing Tosh there...maybe a bit too close?...lol...

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 11, 2021 16:51

Infidels.

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: December 11, 2021 19:48

Toots, Bunny and now Robbie Rocker. A sad year for reggae.

I would suggest the phenomenal YT video series "Playing For Change" for some comfort.

...they are a way of life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home