Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Charlie Watts tribute - London, December 6
Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: December 9, 2021 05:48

What the hell. People talking about Botox, clothing, hair ECT... In negative way's. When I 1st joined this site I do not recall so much negativity. Even when a thread has some good posts and feelings going some people are always bringing it down. It's Charlie's memorial, this thread is about Charlie's memorial and I am glad they had a night/moment to celebrate him and his legacy.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: December 9, 2021 06:14

For those complaining that Mick Taylor wasn’t, remember he never said anything public about Charlie’s passing. Maybe he grieves privately and it was his choice not to attend this memorial?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 9, 2021 06:27

d.f., what a beautiful photo of Charlie!

On the gathering:
Such a nice way to commemorate Charlie, well pulled together, and as tasteful as the man.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 9, 2021 06:59

Halup
For those complaining that Mick Taylor wasn’t, remember he never said anything public about Charlie’s passing. Maybe he grieves privately and it was his choice not to attend this memorial?

You think MT was invited but declined?

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: December 9, 2021 07:33

Mick Taylor and Chuck Leavell may both have been invited and for whatever reasons didn't make it. It is also just as possible that neither of them were invited. What matters most is that from all we as fans have heard or read or seen, it was a very fitting tribute to Charlie.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2021 07:39

DavidinAustin
Would be something IF this ended up being the last time Mick and Keith played together, at Ronnie Scott's of all places. Loved reading the reports of the tribute event. Sounded perfect.

If that's true... well. So what.

Date: December 9, 2021 07:57

JadedFaded
This was a beautiful farewell and tribute to the great Charlie Watts, held at Charlie’s favorite jazz club in London. How perfect.

For all you TMZ wannabes, commenting on hair, clothes and cosmetic procedures, start a new thread about that. This thread is to acknowledge a special evening with Charlie’s family and friends, and I think it was all quite lovely and touching.

Agree 100%.

You left out the Mick Taylor conspiracists that are clowns in this thread.

Y'all are a damn joke... and have cognitive issues, clearly.

Date: December 9, 2021 12:12

Upstairs at Ronnies is a nice room - I've seen some really good bands up there, and performed there too - poetry/spoken word nights. A good late night Soho hang.
What a great way to celebrate Charlie Watts.
Probably better than the 606 Club, though that is very near to where it all began, just behind Edith Grove, near the river.
Even greater would be a few days in Chiswick Studios ...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 9, 2021 13:10

JadedFaded
This was a beautiful farewell and tribute to the great Charlie Watts, held at Charlie’s favorite jazz club in London. How perfect.

I fully agree about that.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 9, 2021 13:32

Iggyrichards
What the hell. People talking about Botox, clothing, hair ECT... In negative way's. When I 1st joined this site I do not recall so much negativity. Even when a thread has some good posts and feelings going some people are always bringing it down. It's Charlie's memorial, this thread is about Charlie's memorial and I am glad they had a night/moment to celebrate him and his legacy.

IQ and manners online is unequally distributed among human being unfortunately.
I delete offending and stupid posts. Also, I delete access for those who repeatedly offend.
Just ignore offending posts, or e-mail me about it.

Bjornulf

Date: December 9, 2021 15:44

Very well said.

Sad isn't it. There are many who stopped posting here due to the negativity.

One of my closest friends stopped coming here because of it and of all people to chase away they chased away someone who works for ticketmaster.

Iggyrichards

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: December 9, 2021 17:58

Seemed like a touching, poignant tribute to their friend and bandmate.

Of all the interviews I read or saw with Charlie? He didn't understand or like all the fuss and hoopla when the band went out on tour.

What I read of his funeral said it was modest private ceremony.

This tribute was for their bandmate/friend/family member they loved so much.

We as fans, and the media, don't need to cover every event or show they do.

If anything comes out? I'll watch or listen.
If not? I appreciate that Charlie's family had a tribute for him and leave it at that.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 9, 2021 19:32

Seems like a classy tribute to a classy guy.

You are missed, Mr. Watts.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 9, 2021 21:15

GasLightStreet
DavidinAustin
Would be something IF this ended up being the last time Mick and Keith played together, at Ronnie Scott's of all places. Loved reading the reports of the tribute event. Sounded perfect.

If that's true... well. So what.
I have a hard time believing that will be the last time . Performing is in their blood and DNA !

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: December 10, 2021 01:18

Posted by: SaintPaul ()
Date: December 10, 2021 01:58

The people who knew Charlie intimately for so long, his co-workers, his family, and those they wish to toast their personal friend with deserve to have time to toast their friend together. This wasn't about an entertainment thing... it was a friends jam session and tribute. God bless them - Losing Charlie's got to be a very hard blow for them.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 10, 2021 02:08

So....Darryl wasn't invited? Didn't play? Who did play bass with Ronnie, Keith, and Mick? Ginger Baker would have been there if he could. Those two seemed to enjoy each other.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 10, 2021 02:11

I wonder why Chuck Leavell was a no-show, and what about Sasha?

Imagine if they had played Shame Shame Shame and Down the Road Apiece at the final Hollywood Fl. show...it would have been remembered in a much more positive light vs. the standard shortened setlist that it was.
But glad they saved the special tunes for the Charlie memorial as I can't imagine them settling for a warhorse such as Start Me Up. RIP Charlie - the Stones will never be the same without you....

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 10, 2021 02:23

24FPS
So....Darryl wasn't invited? Didn't play? Who did play bass with Ronnie, Keith, and Mick? Ginger Baker would have been there if he could. Those two seemed to enjoy each other.

Ginger stopped playing a few years ago. When he died.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 10, 2021 06:11

NilsHolgersson

Hmmmm...

A tabloid style of report. Early in it he says that Wyman played, and then in the narrative he says that he didn't.

There's a 60th Anniversary T-Shirt shown. Is it official? Anyone know? Or is it a (well executed) mock up?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2021 06:27

Looks like a mock-up ta me ....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 10, 2021 06:37

Hairball

Imagine if they had played Shame Shame Shame and Down the Road Apiece at the final Hollywood Fl. show...it would have been remembered in a much more positive light vs. the standard shortened setlist that it was.
But glad they saved the special tunes for the Charlie memorial as I can't imagine them settling for a warhorse such as Start Me Up. RIP Charlie - the Stones will never be the same without you....

I get your perspective. But. Perhaps you haven't read things as I have.

Your questioning is no different than others that have pondered such things so disrespectfully with massive disregard to who lined it up.

Who are you or anyone here to say such an arrogant thing as "it would have been remembered in a much more positive light" about the post-tour Hollywood show yet alone the post-tour show for Charlie?

For who?

EVERYONE that wasn't at the show?

That's beyond arrogant. YOU KNOW NOTHING.

Chuck Leavell wasn't a no show - maybe he wasn't invited - or couldn't make it. Sasha. Whoever. Whatever. What difference does it make? Are you offended? Are you and others writing a book? A whiny blog? Why does it matter?

Who was invited to it that could make it made it. You don't have to accept it or believe it - but it's a fact, it happened. No use for a pathetic false narrative.

The attitude that has been put out here amongst this thread is SO NOT about Charlie and the actuality of it.

It's not about the fans.

It's not about what fans think.

The fans have zero relevance to it.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 10, 2021 06:43

Rockman
Looks like a mock-up ta me ....

I dug a bit (more) and found the image..

[boobeestee.com]

I suspect that the imagein including Mick is indeed photoshopped (I can't imagine him endorsing something like a T-Shirt).

Plus, I can't decide if, for a genuine 60th Anniversary T-Shirt, if they would use a photo including Charlie?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 10, 2021 06:52

GasLightStreet
Hairball

I get your perspective. But. Perhaps you haven't read things as I have.

Your questioning is no different than others that have pondered such things so disrespectfully with massive disregard to who lined it up.

Who are you or anyone here to say such an arrogant thing as "it would have been remembered in a much more positive light" about the post-tour Hollywood show yet alone the post-tour show for Charlie?

For who?

EVERYONE that wasn't at the show?

That's beyond arrogant. YOU KNOW NOTHING.

Chuck Leavell wasn't a no show - maybe he wasn't invited - or couldn't make it. Sasha. Whoever. Whatever. What difference does it make? Are you offended? Are you and others writing a book? A whiny blog? Why does it matter?

Who was invited to it that could make it made it. You don't have to accept it or believe it - but it's a fact, it happened. No use for a pathetic false narrative.

The attitude that has been put out here amongst this thread is SO NOT about Charlie and the actuality of it.

It's not about the fans.

It's not about what fans think.

The fans have zero relevance to it.

lol... you're getting creepier by the day....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 10, 2021 07:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 14:54 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 10, 2021 09:21

24FPS

Those interested in knowing who was invited or not, probably should contact Watts family, but as far as I have understood, it was the house band - ABC&D of Boogie Woogie, C being Jordan - who were backing up all the acts, including Mick, Keith and Ronnie, so it was Dave Green - a friend of Charlie from his childhood - playing the bass.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 09:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 10, 2021 10:03

People commenting and complaining about clothes and hair, who's there, who's not and so on...it's almost like reading a teenage girl magazine. Pathetic. And why Taylor wasn't invted and blah blah blah. oftn there is more conspiracy theories here than about the pandemic. Wieird.

But then again, unfortunately this board is flooded by complainers,

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 10, 2021 10:49

This thread gradually transformed into more or less a remembrance thread for Charlie. I do not think all posters were fully aware of that from the start, myself included. Then there were speculations that in other threads are quite normal, but may be seen by many readers as misplaced in a remembrance thread. Understandable frustration about that arose, but, surprisingly, also even instances of jarring aggression.

I hardly think any posters in this thread, whatever views they expressed, have any objections to the family of Charlie. Wheras the curiosity about a private event sprang from the affection for this band, also where that affection seems not so undivided in the context of other threads.

One post of reflection that I find decent, where others probably were not, in the affection for present and past members of the band, is the following.

Hairball
A nice tribute for Charlie. thumbs up

I bet Charlie would have liked Mick Taylor to be there as he always talked very fondly of that era of the band - specifically the guitar playing of Mick Taylor.
And glad Bill was there, but also understandable why he didn't play after the odd treatment he received during his guest appearances in 2012.

RIP Charlie.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 10, 2021 11:35

Witness, yeah, it is pretty hard for us diehard Stones fans some times to distinguish our curiosity and endless seek for information from respecting the privacy of our heroes as individual human beings. Of the things that are not any of our f...g business actually. For example, I would love to hear the version of Mick singing "Just Like A Woman" in his lover's funeral - just because, you know, I just would like to hear how that - Mick interpreting one of my favourite Dylan songs - sounds like. But you know, how tasteless and sick that actually is...

That said, like many others I also have noticed that there've been some pretty cold and tasteless comments in this thread. But that's what social media is like - people have learned to not think twice but say whatever occurs in their mind with no filter (and I am not an expection, unfortunately) - 'freedom of speech', hey! Thank god, I am not a moderator here (all the kudos to BV for doing an incredible job in a task that gets harder and harder all the time).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 11:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 10, 2021 12:37

The Ronnie Scott's event was private. No photos, just private. A family and friends event. I am happy to see they had a great time celebrating the great life of Charlie Watts, at a venue where Charlie loved to play with his Tentet, and many other events there.

I think it is completely tasteless, also offending, when some ask "why was this person not there", or comments about shoes, dressing and so on.

IT WAS A PRIVATE MEMORIAL EVENT!

We are in the middle of a pandemic. It you are in isolation or quarantine, or if you have a cold, you should stay at home. If you test positive, you will not even be allowed entry into UK. There may be many reasons why people do not attend, they are all private. No reason for speculations and evil hostile and offending posts here.

I missed Charlie a lot during this tour, especially at the first stadium show in St Louis, when it was all clear to me that his drumming was gone with his passing. Then later on I came to appreciate all Charlie did, from the very first record I played in 1971, until the last show in Miami 2019, and all the music he is on still. So many great memories, so many great times, meeting Charlie in person, seeing him with The Rolling Stones, at Ronnie Scott's, with Tim Ries, and other places. Thank you for all the great times. May The Rolling Stones live on, in the great memory of Charlie Watts!

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home