Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Charlie Watts tribute - London, December 6
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 10, 2021 12:43

Doxa
24FPS
So....Darryl wasn't invited? Didn't play? Who did play bass with Ronnie, Keith, and Mick? Ginger Baker would have been there if he could. Those two seemed to enjoy each other.

Those interested in knowing who was invited or not, probably should contact Watts family, but as far as I have understood, it was the house band - ABC&D of Boogie Woogie, C being Jordan - who were backing up all the acts, including Mick, Keith and Ronnie, so it was Dave Green - a friend of Charlie from his childhood - playing the bass.

- Doxa

You can see Dave Green on upright bass in that tiny 3-second video clip. The Stones were not the organisers or even the house band for Charlie's tribute night, and as far as we can see his friends and family did him proud.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 10, 2021 14:01

Green Lady
Doxa
24FPS
So....Darryl wasn't invited? Didn't play? Who did play bass with Ronnie, Keith, and Mick? Ginger Baker would have been there if he could. Those two seemed to enjoy each other.

Those interested in knowing who was invited or not, probably should contact Watts family, but as far as I have understood, it was the house band - ABC&D of Boogie Woogie, C being Jordan - who were backing up all the acts, including Mick, Keith and Ronnie, so it was Dave Green - a friend of Charlie from his childhood - playing the bass.

- Doxa

You can see Dave Green on upright bass in that tiny 3-second video clip. The Stones were not the organisers or even the house band for Charlie's tribute night, and as far as we can see his friends and family did him proud.

Yep. To play with semantics, one could even say that there were even performing not The Rolling Stones, but three Rolling Stones (three individual and current members from the band called The Rolling Stones) backed by the house band.

But what makes this tricky is that those three members are the Rolling Stones nowadays... (one of those moments when thinking the Stones just as a three-piece band sounds odd).

Be it whatever, but this really wasn't any kind of Rolling Stones show by any means. Mick, Keith and Ronnie were invited guests and joined the stage for two numbers.

- Doxa

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 10, 2021 14:20

bv

The Ronnie Scott's event was private. No photos, just private. A family and friends event.

But it wasn't entirely clear before that it was only a private family & friends event. Maybe it was a bit misleading for normal fans due to the rumor mid September by [www.TheSun.co.uk] about a separate tribute celebration as well as Mick's posts (Dec. 1st) on Social Media: "Warming up the lounge act for Christmas" - [Twitter.com] .

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 10, 2021 14:46

bv
The Ronnie Scott's event was private. No photos, just private. A family and friends event. I am happy to see they had a great time celebrating the great life of Charlie Watts, at a venue where Charlie loved to play with his Tentet, and many other events there.

I think it is completely tasteless, also offending, when some ask "why was this person not there", or comments about shoes, dressing and so on.

IT WAS A PRIVATE MEMORIAL EVENT!

We are in the middle of a pandemic. It you are in isolation or quarantine, or if you have a cold, you should stay at home. If you test positive, you will not even be allowed entry into UK. There may be many reasons why people do not attend, they are all private. No reason for speculations and evil hostile and offending posts here.

I missed Charlie a lot during this tour, especially at the first stadium show in St Louis, when it was all clear to me that his drumming was gone with his passing. Then later on I came to appreciate all Charlie did, from the very first record I played in 1971, until the last show in Miami 2019, and all the music he is on still. So many great memories, so many great times, meeting Charlie in person, seeing him with The Rolling Stones, at Ronnie Scott's, with Tim Ries, and other places. Thank you for all the great times. May The Rolling Stones live on, in the great memory of Charlie Watts!

You always seem to find the right words, bv. Thank you.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: December 10, 2021 15:53

Valeswood
bv
The Ronnie Scott's event was private. No photos, just private. A family and friends event. I am happy to see they had a great time celebrating the great life of Charlie Watts, at a venue where Charlie loved to play with his Tentet, and many other events there.

I think it is completely tasteless, also offending, when some ask "why was this person not there", or comments about shoes, dressing and so on.

IT WAS A PRIVATE MEMORIAL EVENT!

We are in the middle of a pandemic. It you are in isolation or quarantine, or if you have a cold, you should stay at home. If you test positive, you will not even be allowed entry into UK. There may be many reasons why people do not attend, they are all private. No reason for speculations and evil hostile and offending posts here.

I missed Charlie a lot during this tour, especially at the first stadium show in St Louis, when it was all clear to me that his drumming was gone with his passing. Then later on I came to appreciate all Charlie did, from the very first record I played in 1971, until the last show in Miami 2019, and all the music he is on still. So many great memories, so many great times, meeting Charlie in person, seeing him with The Rolling Stones, at Ronnie Scott's, with Tim Ries, and other places. Thank you for all the great times. May The Rolling Stones live on, in the great memory of Charlie Watts!

You always seem to find the right words, bv. Thank you.

+1 Thank you bv.

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: December 10, 2021 16:19

GasLightStreet
JadedFaded
This was a beautiful farewell and tribute to the great Charlie Watts, held at Charlie’s favorite jazz club in London. How perfect.

For all you TMZ wannabes, commenting on hair, clothes and cosmetic procedures, start a new thread about that. This thread is to acknowledge a special evening with Charlie’s family and friends, and I think it was all quite lovely and touching.

Agree 100%.

You left out the Mick Taylor conspiracists that are clowns in this thread.

Y'all are a damn joke... and have cognitive issues, clearly.

Sorry everyone if my Mick Taylor comment was taken the wrong way, didn’t mean to kill the vibe of the thread and that seems to have started it. I could’ve left out the “Shaft” part.

This really is about Charlie, so I didn’t mean to take away from that, my apologies.

Also thank you gas light for the mental diagnosis I needed to help me join the circus. Everyone else can show their superior “Cognitive” abilities and just scroll pass things and ignore them if you don’t like it. Because the mass amounts of rethorical questions, shaming and name calling will just keep the negativity going. Just chill out man your lengthy disgruntled comments are a little much.

Let’s just drink to the hard working people and have a good weekend!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 10, 2021 17:49

If I ask politely why Mick Taylor was not present why shouldn't I be entitled to do so? At least he was on a world tour with the Rolling Stones including Charlie Watts only some years ago. I never participated in the Taylor - Wood discussion because I find it dull and boring, and I think that both guitarists stood/stand for their Rolling Stones era. But I always took great interest in Mick Taylor as I still get thrills listening to the live recodings during his years with the Stones!

But Bjornulf is right about erasing all the posts that are insulting. Thank you, Bjornulf.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 10, 2021 18:48

JDSAM1994
Sorry everyone if my Mick Taylor comment was taken the wrong way, didn’t mean to kill the vibe of the thread and that seems to have started it. I could’ve left out the “Shaft” part.

This really is about Charlie, so I didn’t mean to take away from that, my apologies.

Very cool of you to apologize. A lot of people feel like you about Mick Taylor’s treatment, it just didn’t need to be brought up regarding this event. I choose to believe he probably was invited. Anyhow, put it behind you and enjoy the day. Ain’t no thang. We all say something unpopular every once in a while

I hope the night was as special as Charlie was. I hope they all reminisced, laughed, cried, hugged,?and toasted him to their heart’s content.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: December 10, 2021 19:13

CindyC
JDSAM1994

Very cool of you to apologize. A lot of people feel like you about Mick Taylor’s treatment, it just didn’t need to be brought up regarding this event. I choose to believe he probably was invited. Anyhow, put it behind you and enjoy the day. Ain’t no thang. We all say something unpopular every once in a while

I hope the night was as special as Charlie was. I hope they all reminisced, laughed, cried, hugged,?and toasted him to their heart’s content.

The glass is half full!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2021 04:08

JDSAM1994
CindyC
JDSAM1994

The glass is half full!

thumbs up

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: December 11, 2021 14:26

24FPS

Darryl was surely invited and there (dunno if he played though). He said in an interview which he did on December 5 in Hamburg that he is about to fly over to London meeting up with the Stones.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-11 14:27 by NeddieFlanders.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 11, 2021 16:34

I found it heartwarming that the family had this wonderful celebration of Charlie.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 11, 2021 20:04

Keith Richards
@officialKeef
·
38m
Happy Birthday, Darryl! A dear friend and wicked bass player! You are the best! Looking forward to more! .
One love, Keith.
@djonesbassist

[twitter.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2021 07:10

JDSAM1994
GasLightStreet
JadedFaded
This was a beautiful farewell and tribute to the great Charlie Watts, held at Charlie’s favorite jazz club in London. How perfect.

For all you TMZ wannabes, commenting on hair, clothes and cosmetic procedures, start a new thread about that. This thread is to acknowledge a special evening with Charlie’s family and friends, and I think it was all quite lovely and touching.

Agree 100%.

You left out the Mick Taylor conspiracists that are clowns in this thread.

Y'all are a damn joke... and have cognitive issues, clearly.

Also thank you gas light for the mental diagnosis I needed to help me join the circus. Everyone else can show their superior “Cognitive” abilities and just scroll pass things and ignore them if you don’t like it. Because the mass amounts of rethorical questions, shaming and name calling will just keep the negativity going. Just chill out man your lengthy disgruntled comments are a little much.

Well, I appreciate that. I don't recall if it was personal. Pretty sure it wasn't. But I could be wrong. At the moment, I don't recall.

But since you responded in such a way, well, that's not on me. I'm not responsible if you identify within that, which you do. It's one thing to wonder, as some have, it's a whole other thing to stir shit up that has zero to do with anything, as some have.

Completely unfounded, of course. Hence the cognitive issues comment. I understand that sometimes language here can be confusing - and people have said as much, English not being their whatever number of understanding language, but that's really no excuse for reading the facts. ESPECIALLY after it happened.

Why wasn't Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr invited? They were... and so on. Where does it end?

As BV pointed out, and it's been stated multiple times prior to what you responded with, as I recall - it wasn't the Stones and no one here knows why whoever didn't show up outside of who showed up was invited and who didn't show up either was invited and couldn't make it or... wasn't invited.

So, you were offended by what I said. If I hadn't said it, someone else probably would've - it was that obvious.

Just scroll past?

Well then, why didn't you just scroll on past or even comment, then?

If you're so offended then either you scroll past - it is a forum based with comment, or... leave. Or laugh. I wasn't harsh nor as harsh as I could've been - just like anyone else and unlike others.

It's not like either one of us just got destroyed by tornadoes in Kentucky and some thing on the internet about Charlie Watts' memorial gig changes the world for anyone that died or is misplaced for who knows how long because, you see, THAT is real. I dealt with a hurricane in August and ever since then the aftermath.

This is just a fan forum. So maybe I'm a little salty lately at times. But nothing out of line in terms of outright OFFENDING someone. And accurate with observation, perhaps, about stupid quips.

PERHAPS being key.

There have been plenty of times where I've gotten into it with someone, or vice versa, about whatever, yet in other threads, nary a mention of such a thing, just what's going on specifically, and respect both ways.

If someone gets into it with someone in a thread but joins the discussion in another thread and leaves the politics of that previous one aside... then we all shine on and have a drink or a toke or... whatever. Maybe some are into eating petit fours.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: December 12, 2021 12:33

ProfessorWolf
can't believe everyone's after bill when ronnie wore those giant wacky yellow gloves that look like they belong on a cartoon character

but somehow he still pulls off and looks cool in them

I'm pretty sure that's to keep his hands as safe as possible before playing. Maybe he's had problems with the cold weather and movement in his fingers. He did the same at the Brit Awards when he was playing with Faces at the o2 venue which is always cold.

Re: Private Show in London, 12/6?
Posted by: crjowls ()
Date: December 12, 2021 18:15

Irix
A nice idea would be a tasteful Documentary about Charlie's life & his music - and the filming+recording of the recent tribute-performances could be part of it.

Yes, I'd like to see some sort of documentary. I already have a name for it - Charlie Was A Darling.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 12, 2021 20:45

brownsugar86
ProfessorWolf
can't believe everyone's after bill when ronnie wore those giant wacky yellow gloves that look like they belong on a cartoon character

but somehow he still pulls off and looks cool in them

I'm pretty sure that's to keep his hands as safe as possible before playing. Maybe he's had problems with the cold weather and movement in his fingers. He did the same at the Brit Awards when he was playing with Faces at the o2 venue which is always cold.

oh that makes sense

thank you i didn't consider that

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 13, 2021 23:14

this is very nice. good to see bill looking very well and glad they got together for an evening on such good terms (their terms). they've given us so much, as fans we have been blessed. funny, there is So Much rolling stones history that Any date has a precedent. glad this evening was all theirs and thank you for everything, and for the things that are on the way (if ghost town is sitting around, what else?). long live the rolling stones!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 14, 2021 14:35

From Ben Waters:

I had the honour of being asked to play at Ronnie Scotts last week for a celebration of the life of Charlie Watts, it was a magical night and a beautiful send off for our Charlie! He will be greatly missed, we had so many nice times touring in America, Finland, Barcelona, Austria, Norway, Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Italy, France and England. He was a kind gentleman, never ever being cocky or never showing off, when you did get him talking, you realised what an amazing life he had, meeting presidents, prime ministers, royalty, blues musicians, rock n roll musicians and playing with everyone from Howlin Wolf to Ed Sheeran and everyone in between - He had a magical life and was so humble about it. Mick and Keith spoke beautifully about their friend and bandmate and they played their hearts out. It was a magical night for our friend - RIP Charlie Watts

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 14, 2021 18:58

Green Lady
From Ben Waters:

I had the honour of being asked to play at Ronnie Scotts last week for a celebration of the life of Charlie Watts, it was a magical night and a beautiful send off for our Charlie! He will be greatly missed, we had so many nice times touring in America, Finland, Barcelona, Austria, Norway, Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Italy, France and England. He was a kind gentleman, never ever being cocky or never showing off, when you did get him talking, you realised what an amazing life he had, meeting presidents, prime ministers, royalty, blues musicians, rock n roll musicians and playing with everyone from Howlin Wolf to Ed Sheeran and everyone in between - He had a magical life and was so humble about it. Mick and Keith spoke beautifully about their friend and bandmate and they played their hearts out. It was a magical night for our friend - RIP Charlie Watts

No better place to celebrate Charlie's life! I was there in Ronnie Scott's in June 2001 when he played with his Tentet. It was Charlie's second home. He was completely at ease, both while announcing his Jazz mates and upcoming songs as well as while sitting behind his drum kit. During the rehearsals on the first day, true, he was a bit nervous, he allowed me to take photos and make notes for a fanzine article and he was very friendly to me. It still feels if it was yesterday ...

RIP Charlie, you will be with us till the end.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1606
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home