Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Steve Jordan interview in RS
Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: December 6, 2021 18:03

Interesting discussion. SJ indicates that he was channeling Mick Taylor era live sound in his approach.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: Steve Jordan interview in RS
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 6, 2021 18:41

"I’m a big fan of wanting to play “Shattered.”"

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 6, 2021 18:46

"I had one friend come to one of the shows and go, “Was that a loop you played to play under the thing?” I went, “No, that’s Charlie Watts, dude! That’s the isolated drums on ‘Can’t You Hear Me Knocking.’ That’s Charlie!”"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2021 18:48

That was a good read. He's the right fit for the Stones.

I hope they tour in 2022 and actually get through the 60th year - and on July 12, 2022, the 60th year will be finished. If they go past that, gee, into their 61st year, but whatever.

And I hope it's the last one, that they retire, before anything else gets worse. Keith's comment that he'll be on stage in a wheel chair - not if he can't play anymore.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 6, 2021 18:50

"The Stones are like a thing unto themselves. Even the band members, when they talk about the Stones, it’s like they’re talking about something else. They’ll be like, “The Stones were doing this,” and I’m like, “You’re in the Stones!” It’s like this third person, or something"

Very interesting comment.That's probably why - unlike many other bands - they didn't crumble under the weight of their own success and got destroyed by it.

I think even we - the IORR trainspotters - underestimate their intelligence and wisdom.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 6, 2021 21:52

As the tour went by week after week, did you get more comfortable? Did the weight start to lift off your shoulders?
Absolutely. After we played Los Angeles, everyone was like, “We got L.A. out of the way, now we can really relax, loosen up, and get into these feels.” There was a lot of pressure from the very beginning of the tour to Los Angeles because of the amount of press it was going to garner.
Maybe that explains why the got a little more loose after LA...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-06 21:54 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: December 6, 2021 23:07

Sounds like Steve REALLY wanted to play Moonlight Mile and they had some good jams of it in rehearsals. Surprised it didn't get the nod in Vegas. Maybe next year.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 7, 2021 00:08

HouseBoyKnows
Interesting discussion. SJ indicates that he was channeling Mick Taylor era live sound in his approach.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Yes.

"I cross-referenced my favorite live period of the band to the recordings, and I figured out what I want to retain and where they are now. Then I got a good fusion of the two."

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2021 07:10

BeastyBurdeny
Sounds like Steve REALLY wanted to play Moonlight Mile and they had some good jams of it in rehearsals. Surprised it didn't get the nod in Vegas. Maybe next year.

In Europe, sure.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 7, 2021 13:16

I really like how Steve performed this year. The fusion he created between the original studio parts, how Charlie played the songs in different periods and his own style really gave much musical reason to be excited - even for the songs we've heard so many times.
However there's one song in which I think his approach doesn't work: Satisfaction. It just sounded too empty this year comparing to the versions of the past few tours. And I think that's because Steve plays every quarter note on the snare like on the original record. But on the record, like Steve mentions in this RS interview, you've got the acoustic guitar part giving the song rhythm and drive between the quarter drum notes.
Charlie knew how to make that song come alive in a concert setting without the prominent acoustic guitar. He played a much funkier, less heavy part without hitting every quarter note on the snare and I think this worked much better and made the song richer, it certainly got me dancing a lot more.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 7, 2021 17:36

random, but it seems odd to me that Mick can sing for days on end during rehearsal but can only do 2 show per week.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 7, 2021 17:45

Send It To me
random, but it seems odd to me that Mick can sing for days on end during rehearsal but can only do 2 show per week.

probably because he sings like he does at recent soundchecks without putting much energy into it so doesn't strain his voice

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 7, 2021 18:02

Send It To me

One (two in fact) possible explantion(s) is that all the rehearsed songs start as instrumentals and once the band has them good Mick sings on them. Or Bernard covers for him when Mick feels he needs to preserve his voice.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: December 7, 2021 18:10

Thanks House Boy - great read!
It's not often a musician is telling that much and so interesting stories, thoughts and opionions.
And never ever heard this variety from a drummer.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 7, 2021 23:19

A great interview.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 7, 2021 23:34

Send It To me
As a singer I think I can explain. One important element of singing is called 'support' which means holding back your air and controlling the outflow of your air which involves a lot of muscles in your upper body. If your support is good it takes pressure off of your neck area and you can sing for quite a long time. But supporting properly is hard if you dance or move a lot so that might explain why two hours on stage are much more straining for his voice than five hours of rehearsing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-07 23:35 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 8, 2021 00:26

Good interview, some parts sounded like a previous one he'd given, another long one, not sure if it was on RS though, or Spin ? Nope looked it up, it was Vanity Fair [iorr.org]

The third person stuff, yeah, nothing new but still worth mentioning.

New to me was what he said about the week before Charlie's death where they all thought he was on the mend, which would have made it even more difficult when it turned out to not be the case :-(

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: December 8, 2021 14:27

That was so heartbreaking to know that Charlie's death was something they did not expect or were ready for. They thought he's gonna recover and be fine. They did believe he's gonna join them soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1219
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home