Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: No New Rock Albums Cracked Billboard's Year-End Top 200
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 5, 2021 21:43

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Billboard’s year-end album chart features no new rock records for 2021, with Queen’s 1981 Greatest Hits compilation listed as the genre's biggest-selling LP over the past 12 months.

The four-decade-old title appears at No. 23 in the Top 200. Only five other rock releases highlight the first 100: Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours (1977), Journey’s Greatest Hits (1988), AC/DC’s Back in Black (1980), Nirvana's Nevermind (1991) and Metallica’s Black Album (1991).

Last year, only Ozzy Osbourne cracked the top 200 with a new rock album — and barely, as his Ordinary Man landed at No. 199.

Meanwhile, Billboard lists the Foo Fighters as the top-selling Mainstream Rock Artist, followed by Ayron Jones, Mammoth WVH, Greta Van Fleet and Five Finger Death Punch. Maneskin leads the New Rock Artists category, followed by Surf Curse, Nessa Barrett, Sueco and Beach Bunny.

It’s been two decades since a rock album was the year's best-selling title, in the form of Linkin Park’s 2001 debut, Hybrid Theory. However, at that time, sales figures were calculated via the number of physical records sold across all physical formats. In the current era, a more complex accounting system is used. “Billboard’s year-end music recaps represent aggregated metrics for each artist, title, label and music contributor on the weekly charts dated Nov. 21, 2020, through Nov. 13, 2021,” the organization noted. “The rankings … reflect equivalent album units, airplay, sales or streaming.”

Michael Jackson’s Thriller remains the best-selling album of all time, followed by Back in Black, Whitney Houston’s The Bodyguard soundtrack, Meat Loaf’s Bat out of Hell and Eagles’ Greatest Hits.

Billboard’s Top Selling Rock Albums of 2021

23. Queen - Greatest Hits
34. Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
66. Journey - Greatest Hits
68. AC/DC - Back in Black
97. Nirvana - Nevermind
99. Metallica - Black Album

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-05 21:46 by tatters.

Re: OT: No New Rock Albums Cracked Billboard's Year-End Top 200
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 5, 2021 21:58

Is this a shock to anyone? The last rock group I can think of with any significance is the White Stripes. Maybe the Black Keys on a lower level. Rock is just another genre now, like jazz. Neither has any new, young stars that are known on a national/international level.

Look at our beloved Stones. Admittedly there's been the good odd single here and there, but mostly it's been over since Start Me Up. It's not like the old days when they toured an album. Now they rarely pull anything out less than 40-years old.

Rock had a great run. Longer than Big Band. But it played out. I saw a copy of Rolling Stones magazine that was all about the Grammys and who they predicted to win. I didn't know one of the artists. Most looked like rappers (boring), or auto tuned singers (double boring). You would have thought a new generation would have come up with a new sound, or at least reinvent the old. Nope.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 5, 2021 23:44

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-06 00:59 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 6, 2021 00:18

Rock is wasted on the young.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 6, 2021 00:43

loog droog
Rock is wasted on the young.

That's what I call social change: In the old days youth was wasted on rock music…

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 6, 2021 01:54

Rock is dead.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2021 03:03

Hey .... I'm still alive and kickin'
..... rev counter still hits 6000 when i boot it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2021 03:16

shadooby
Rock is dead.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 6, 2021 03:37

Rock&Roll isn't dead ....the listeners are DEAD

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2021 07:58

24FPS
Is this a shock to anyone?...Admittedly there's been the good odd single here and there, but mostly it's been over since Start Me Up.

Depends on what you mean, I suppose.

Miss You - #1. Their last #1 single.

Emotional Rescue - #3.

Start Me Up - #2.

Now that it's over, let's see:

Waiting On A Friend - #13. That's pretty good! For a ballad!

Hang Fire - #20. Not too bad - Top 20 single.

Undercover Of The Night - #9. Pretty good for a song that's... different.

Harlem Shuffle - #5. They should've just stuck to this being the only release for 1986.

Mixed Emomtions - #5. Their last hit single, last Top 10 single, last Top 20 single.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2021 08:12

With it changing so fast, does Billboard even matter anymore?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 6, 2021 09:33

GasLightStreet
24FPS
Is this a shock to anyone?...Admittedly there's been the good odd single here and there, but mostly it's been over since Start Me Up.

Depends on what you mean, I suppose.

Miss You - #1. Their last #1 single.

Emotional Rescue - #3.

Start Me Up - #2.

Now that it's over, let's see:

Waiting On A Friend - #13. That's pretty good! For a ballad!

Hang Fire - #20. Not too bad - Top 20 single.

Undercover Of The Night - #9. Pretty good for a song that's... different.

Harlem Shuffle - #5. They should've just stuck to this being the only release for 1986.

Mixed Emomtions - #5. Their last hit single, last Top 10 single, last Top 20 single.

All indisputable facts. However, Start Me Up was their last global hit.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 6, 2021 13:02

Rockman
Hey .... I'm still alive and kickin'
..... rev counter still hits 6000 when i boot it

Mate, you CAN take it to and INTO the redline. Go to 7500

Rod

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 6, 2021 16:11

Regarding this topic, my daughter dropped by yesterday and played me some stuff she thought was cool off of Spotify to which she subscribes. Mostly, she kept pushing me to listening to Adele and her new album. Not my thing, but daughter persisted, insisting I had to watch the recent special show featuring Adele with Oprah Winfrey interviewing Adele. We found a few music things to agree upon, including the farewell performance of Tony Bennett with Lady Gaga telly show and the greatness of the new Robert Plant & Allison Krauss album which I turned my daughter onto. I'll listen to anything at least once, but I have come to realize there is one helluva musical generation gap between generations which our parents dealt with back in the day for many of us IORR folks. I could go on, but I'll let Bob Seger say it for a number of us. It's gotta beat and ya can dance to it.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home