Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
An IORR app would be great!
Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: December 3, 2021 18:03

I’ve been thinking for a while that an IORR app for phones would be amazing.

Forgot to mention that to B.V when I saw him on the tour.

I don’t know what it takes to get that done, but I think it would be great and would help out in the process.

Your thoughts?

Re: An IORR app would be great!
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 3, 2021 18:11

JDSAM1994

What would be the advantage for such an App except the appropriate visualization on Smartphone-displays?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 3, 2021 18:20

The Rolling Stones have already had an official App:

[Play.Google.com] , [Apps.Apple.com]

Date: December 3, 2021 18:41

Irix
JDSAM1994

What would be the advantage for such an App except the appropriate visualization on Smartphone-displays?

I mean it kinda speaks for itself. It’s not for any kind of advantage. It’s just different from the website and is an alternative option. Getting IORR app notifications from an app would be cool.

And also I’m not a fan of The Rolling Stones app, it sux in my opinion

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 3, 2021 19:25

Not going to speak for BV but an app would require a development effort, ongoing support, dealing with app stores and require more ongoing development work/fixes as IOS and Android change. Unless he was looking to monetize IORR which means ads, selling user info or charging to be a member there is nothing to gain and a spending more time on supporting IORR.

Other sites like this involve multiple people who are devoting their time either by volunteering and/or are compensated. What's nice about this site is we (the IORR users) are not the product being sold to advertisers. The reality is the monetization would include both the app and the site. I can just imagine the screaming and yelling of certain users when they start seeing advertisements popping up between every few comments.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 3, 2021 21:48

Well stated daspyknows, +1 on that. The simplistic layout of IORR works great.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 3, 2021 23:00

+1 to your + 1. Bjornulf does an incredible job with this website. Don’t change a thing!

Date: December 3, 2021 23:31

Just an idea everyone. B.V is the best and does a great job. I guess I can agree that what makes IORR great is how simplistic it is like an early 2000s website

But I do think that an app would be cool and a big advancement

An app probably wouldn’t change the website.

I’m a millennial of course I want an app.

In terms of the screaming and yelling referenced: based on my experiences here on IORR it literally takes absolutely nothing for people to start bickering. Too much negativity and everyone else thinks they know more than the next person. You’ve definitely seen it.

Be kind!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 3, 2021 23:51

Seems to me soon the whole society will become an app. You can't do anything without apps these days. You can't park the car, pay your bills or even listen to music without them.
There was much talk about Big Brother and "1984". If only George Orwell had known about the App Society in 2021...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 4, 2021 00:03

I like that simplicity of the site and the message board. Of course, here is. One what antiquated in comparison to elsewhere, but I’m comfortable with that, as I’m sure we all are. It’s forever the year 2000 grinning smiley If only I, myself, were not ageing.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 4, 2021 00:24

Please don't ever change the layout of this online site.....it's out date but but great......but on my mobile the layout it's a bit difficult zooming in and out to make it readable is a bit awkward.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 4, 2021 00:36

Bjornulf,

Please change nothing. Old fashioned is good thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2021 00:53

Leave it how it is .... its simplicity
is such a blessing in this cramped world .....

get ya mask on .. try ta figure out
if the person mush mouth mumbling to ya is grinning or growling

line up.. show ya jab info just ta get a bottle of water...
Probably quicker ta dehydrate and let an ambulance turn up .

Navigate bus lanes..bike lanes..speed humps
and coffee shops that now have main seating in the gutter ....

Ya'd reckon it would be easier if they just
put the bikes and restaurants on the roads
and let all vehicles travel on the footpaths ....

It's only IORR but i like lurv it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 4, 2021 01:00

Rockman
Leave it how it is .... its simplicity
is such a blessing in this cramped world .....

It's only IORR but i like lurv it

thumbs up 100%. This place has a charm. I like it as such.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 4, 2021 01:06

Just go to iorr.org on your smart phone. Like everyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-04 05:48 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 4, 2021 02:16

No.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 4, 2021 10:31

Not more Apps to clog up my phone

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 4, 2021 10:46

WWW = World Wide Web - Open, fast, easy, free to everyone
HTML = Hypertext Markup Language - open web tagging fast and easy, no boundaries
APPs are NOT open, they are under control of Google / Apple.

I have been supporting www since I first got my Mosaic browser some time early 1990's, may be it was 1991. Since then I have supported open protocols, like http, and html. I don't have time or money to develop and maintain app's. They are typically commercial. IORR is not commercial. IORR is completely open, no proprietary code, you may read IORR with any browser any PC any mobile. You do not need to be in the pocket of a mobile or PC or OS supplier.

Bjornulf

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 4, 2021 10:57

My IORR mobile experience got really good since my phone is showing a mobile version of the website. That happened some months ago. Before it was only displaying the original desktop view which always required a lot of zooming and scrolling.

Date: December 4, 2021 11:38

More Hot Rocks
Just go to iorr.org on your smart phone. Like everyone else.

That’s genius !

Date: December 4, 2021 11:40

bv
WWW = World Wide Web - Open, fast, easy, free to everyone
HTML = Hypertext Markup Language - open web tagging fast and easy, no boundaries
APPs are NOT open, they are under control of Google / Apple.

I have been supporting www since I first got my Mosaic browser some time early 1990's, may be it was 1991. Since then I have supported open protocols, like http, and html. I don't have time or money to develop and maintain app's. They are typically commercial. IORR is not commercial. IORR is completely open, no proprietary code, you may read IORR with any browser any PC any mobile. You do not need to be in the pocket of a mobile or PC or OS supplier.

Thanks for the thorough explanation !

Date: December 4, 2021 12:12

The IORR editorial pages are scaling dynamic on any device including mobile. The forum solution is old and not really made for mobile, but I have not found any better solutions without advertisements. If I change then you would have to use "old forum" and "new forum", they would be incompatible, and I would not know if the new forum would be available for one two or five years.

IORR have been online for 25 years, all data are still available, editorial, an app would have a lifetime of just a few years, until new technology makes it obsolete. Companies with big money may replace app's (and loose old data) every few years, they can afford it, but somebody have to pay for it. Normally they have a product to sell, like concert tickets, set list posters, T-shirts, records or similar. IORR do not have any income to pay for development.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 4, 2021 12:13

StonedRambler
My IORR mobile experience got really good since my phone is showing a mobile version of the website. That happened some months ago. Before it was only displaying the original desktop view which always required a lot of zooming and scrolling.

Browsing on my work PC aside, these days, I only ever view Tell Me on my phone. I find this experience to be OK on the whole.

Date: December 4, 2021 16:53

What about some IORR merch? Like the shidoobee shirts. Just not ugly shirts (don’t hate me)

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 4, 2021 17:01

JDSAM1994
What about some IORR merch? Like the shidoobee shirts. Just not ugly shirts (don’t hate me)

More work for bv, who did it once and probably doesn't ever want to do it again. See here for the whole 70-page saga...

[iorr.org]

(still got mine!)

Date: December 4, 2021 17:21

Green Lady
JDSAM1994

More work for bv, who did it once and probably doesn't ever want to do it again. See here for the whole 70-page saga...

[iorr.org]

(still got mine!)

Glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks they’re ugly.

Replica orange B.V Jackets would sell by the millions!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 4, 2021 18:03

bv
The IORR editorial pages are scaling dynamic on any device including mobile. The forum solution is old and not really made for mobile, but I have not found any better solutions without advertisements. If I change then you would have to use "old forum" and "new forum", they would be incompatible, and I would not know if the new forum would be available for one two or five years.

IORR have been online for 25 years, all data are still available, editorial, an app would have a lifetime of just a few years, until new technology makes it obsolete. Companies with big money may replace app's (and loose old data) every few years, they can afford it, but somebody have to pay for it. Normally they have a product to sell, like concert tickets, set list posters, T-shirts, records or similar. IORR do not have any income to pay for development.

smileys with beer When I said I wasn't speaking for you it seems like I might have been. What you are and have been doing is impressive. Appreciate your efforts and approach.

The only change I would suggest would be to add a GoFundMe donation button for those who want to kick in a few Euros, Dollars, Pounds or Bitcoin to cover any incremental costs you have. Site is definitely lean and mean but I expect you have modest costs for domain registration and any paid software tools. You shouldn't have to foot the bill.

Date: December 4, 2021 19:47

JDSAM1994

There have been times during this tour, after long hours of IORR work, and little sleep, when I ask myself if enough is enough. Then organizing Stones Shop, which I did many years ago, would be like suicide. I think it is better with IORR like it is now, than no IORR at all, because I just retire from it all. It's all about workload. There isn't really any staff here.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 4, 2021 20:19

Daspyknows
The only change I would suggest would be to add a GoFundMe donation button for those who want to kick in a few Euros, Dollars, Pounds or Bitcoin to cover any incremental costs you have

I see many sites have this option. Maybe something to consider, BV? I'm sure there are many posters here who wouldn't hesitate to kick in a small contribution.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 4, 2021 21:35

Seriously?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home