Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Last ever performance of Troubles a’ Comin?
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 28, 2021 15:54

Only played live 4 times, will The Stones ever perform Troubles a’ Comin again? Odds? (Sorry, I’m a geek about rarely played songs!)

Re: Last ever performance of Troubles a’ Comin?
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 28, 2021 16:22

Probably pretty low odds of hearing it live again. It didn't set the world on fire and the time for promoting Tattoo You Deluxe has probably passed.

Hopefully the first single from the new album will be out before any next round of shows and that will take the #4 or #5 spot on the setlist!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 28, 2021 17:02

Real headscratcher how they never bothered to acknowledge the contents of the bonus disks on stage (could have played When You're Gone, Plundered My Soul, Claudine, Criss Cross etc) but when they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel they decide to try that one?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 28, 2021 17:07

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-28 17:34 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Date: November 28, 2021 17:34

SomeTorontoGirl
NashvilleBlues
…(Sorry, I’m a geek about rarely played songs!)

I think Living In A Ghost Town is the true rarity - I think it’s the only song performed that Charlie has never played in concert.

Great point. I really enjoyed that one in Nashville.

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: November 28, 2021 17:43

I did a spreadsheet of the ten shows I've seen between 1975 and 2019, and I was pleasantly surprised to find I had seen 82 different songs! My favorite gems were "Crazy Mama," "Route 66," "Moonlight Mile," and "Don't Stop," which I still love ant think is underrated.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: November 28, 2021 17:45

Nikkei
Real headscratcher how they never bothered to acknowledge the contents of the bonus disks on stage (could have played When You're Gone, Plundered My Soul, Claudine, Criss Cross etc) but when they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel they decide to try that one?

I’d have loved to have heard Plundered My Soul as well, but I think it would have been too much of a challenge to sing.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 28, 2021 17:49

dkwalika
I did a spreadsheet of the ten shows I've seen between 1975 and 2019, and I was pleasantly surprised to find I had seen 82 different songs! My favorite gems were "Crazy Mama," "Route 66," "Moonlight Mile," and "Don't Stop," which I still love ant think is underrated.

That’s pretty cool to do!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 28, 2021 17:57

NashvilleBlues
SomeTorontoGirl
NashvilleBlues

I think Living In A Ghost Town is the true rarity - I think it’s the only song performed that Charlie has never played in concert.

Damn - busted! I deleted that when I realized that Charlie likely didn’t play live on Trouble’s A Coming either. I used to have a semblance of a brain… smiling smiley

Date: November 28, 2021 18:21

SomeTorontoGirl
NashvilleBlues
SomeTorontoGirl
NashvilleBlues

Damn - busted! I deleted that when I realized that Charlie likely didn’t play live on Trouble’s A Coming either. I used to have a semblance of a brain… smiling smiley

Haha! Yeah. I saw you deleted it just before my post was sent. No shame in a simple mistake. I appreciate your posts.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 28, 2021 19:30

dkwalika

I absolutely agree. Whilst not a classic, perhaps, it was the first ‘new’ Stones track since becoming a fan. It reminds me of a terrific time in my life and the first Stones show I attended. I haven’t listened to it in an age, though. I must change that. Ghost Town simply doesn’t have the same connection for me.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 28, 2021 19:55

Don't Stop WAS good on that tour, yes, being (I think) the only new song played.
Something fresh.

Same with Doom and Gloom.

But although brave, Trouble's a Coming not the best choice Which other though?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 28, 2021 20:25

I haven't any of the recent live versions, but the studio version on TY deluxe is flippin' great.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 28, 2021 20:26

Don't Stop during the Licks tour was mildly entertaining to put it politely as it really isn't that good of a song to begin with - it's basically "Stones-Lite", and it quickly wore out it's welcome imo.
The greatest treats during Licks were all the rarities/obscurities that were played at the club and theater shows - whether cover tunes or originals, all of them were much better than Don't Stop.

Ghost Town is a great studio tune, and I enjoyed it live whether in person or seeing video clips, but not sure if it will continue to be played if the Stones do more shows - many in attendance were indifferent towards it.
I never did see Trouble's a Comin' as it was already ditched by the two L.A. shows, but can't say I missed it one iota - watching it live online and seeing the various video clips, I thought it was a waste of setlist space.
The two widely different setlists between the two L.A. shows I saw provided more than enough satisfaction, and of course I loved seeing the new Ghost Town at both shows.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: November 28, 2021 20:48

I loved and was thrilled to hear Troubles a Comin in Nashville as well as Ghost Town. After 60 years of concerts, and the last several concert tours basically the same songs give or take, it was refreshing to hear songs not played before.
I suspect Trouble was dropped because of lack of familiarity plus the band was out of sync during the last half of the song in Nashville, but still a great live track to listen to. To me , Troubles a Comin will remind me of this tour.

Date: November 28, 2021 20:55

I liked hearing this in Nashville as well.

More likely than not this song won't be played again. This is what I call a "tour" song. They play it a few time during the tour when it is released and then move on.

What is surprising to me is they dropped the songs from Blue & Lonesome.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 29, 2021 00:22

we don't need to hear it anymore – more than enough trouble has already been coming

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 29, 2021 02:06

it was great for them to do but i would have liked keith to have been able to convince them. to work living in the heart of love into the set

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 29, 2021 02:46

It's, obviously depending on perspective, a shame they didn't do some other tunes from the TY deluxe album. Fiji Jim and It's A Lie could've gone over well since they're up/fast.

Plus some TY tracks that have barely been played, like Tops, or at all - Slave, No Use In Crying or Heaven.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 29, 2021 03:50

I wish they'd done 'All the rage'...........my fave of the GHS & TY extras by a mile -

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: November 29, 2021 03:55

I understand the need to promote "new" product, but how many bands can afford not to play so many #1 hits?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 29, 2021 03:57

Shawn20
I understand the need to promote "new" product, but how many bands can afford not to play so many #1 hits?

I think we understand this is an almost completely unique situation.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 29, 2021 04:07

EddieByword
I wish they'd done 'All the rage'...........my fave of the GHS & TY extras by a mile -

Same.. would be fantastic live!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 29, 2021 11:38

Hairball
Don't Stop during the Licks tour was mildly entertaining to put it politely as it really isn't that good of a song to begin with - it's basically "Stones-Lite", and it quickly wore out it's welcome imo.
The greatest treats during Licks were all the rarities/obscurities that were played at the club and theater shows - whether cover tunes or originals, all of them were much better than Don't Stop.

I'd go further, as the arena and stadium shows were quite varied, also. You didn't solely have to have a theatre ticket to experience Undercover of The Night, Heart of Stone, If You Can't Rock Me, Thru & Thru and Saint of Me; all played in arenas and stadiums.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 29, 2021 13:05

Saw it in Charlotte. I felt there were other, better songs to play.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 29, 2021 15:03

MisterDDDD
EddieByword

Same.. would be fantastic live!

'Hide your love' might have been pretty good too,,,,,,,,,,,esp. if was like the alternative version.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 29, 2021 17:27

Well, who would have believed that when the 'fully finished' bootleg was released, and we heard first time this totally unknown tune (I can't recall anyone at least here even recognizing being a cover) that a half year later they would perform it live...

Surprising, unpredictable things still happen within a Stonesworld.

Personally for me the best cut from the TY bonus album. Very well updated from the original out-take. And sounding great live, too.

- Doxa

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 30, 2021 14:41

Elmo Lewis

I would have loved to have seen the band play Fiji Jim, a track, with its re-worked vox, which I opine to be worthy of inclusion in any discussion of the band's great songs. Listen to the riffs, the "weaving", Charlie & Bill, and not to mention the most-inspired vocal performance from Jagger on a "core-style" Stones' rocker in eons. At a recent gathering of a few "hard-core" Stones' fans and collectors, I played it, and all agreed that Fiji Jim is worthy.

Elmo, wish you'd've gotten this one in Charlotte!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 30, 2021 14:48

I have been mulling about these new Fiji Jim lyrics lately. The fact that Mick had to add to the sixpack of champagne another "keg of beer bring it over here" shows imo that he's out of his depth nowadays. Just a gut feeling.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 30, 2021 22:19

stonesstein
Elmo Lewis

I would have loved to have seen the band play Fiji Jim, a track, with its re-worked vox, which I opine to be worthy of inclusion in any discussion of the band's great songs. Listen to the riffs, the "weaving", Charlie & Bill, and not to mention the most-inspired vocal performance from Jagger on a "core-style" Stones' rocker in eons. At a recent gathering of a few "hard-core" Stones' fans and collectors, I played it, and all agreed that Fiji Jim is worthy.

Elmo, wish you'd've gotten this one in Charlotte!

Me, too!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home