Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Steve Jordan's left-hand grip: matched and underhand
Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: November 24, 2021 20:11

I know almost nothing about drumming. But to me, Charlie's underhand grip was noticeably unusual for a rock drummer.

Along comes Steve Jordan, and he is mixing grips. I've never noticed that. Thanks to Fake Fan videos: on SFM, 19th, PIB we can see that Jordan uses matching grip; on MR, MY, GS, JJF, SMU he uses underhand. (I had to look up the grip names on Wikipedia!)

Comments? I'm simply wondering "why."

While I loved Charlie, I agree with many others that Jordan has kicked up the Stones (saw them Sofi x2).

Re: Steve Jordan's left-hand grip: matched and underhand
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: November 25, 2021 00:07

It sounds different. That's my guess.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 25, 2021 00:25

Charlies entire posture distinguished him from most drummers. It made me realize I sort of resent the way they lean in or do those pumping motions. He never did that, it was all in his wrists

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: November 25, 2021 19:29

Looks to me like he is using traditional grip on pib and sfm and yes matching grip on 19th-

He has said that his goal was to get as close to the original recordings as possible and I guess he is using the grip that helps him with that. Vs Charlie that as far as I know stopped using matching grip in the late 60´s - which he only began to use because he had to play louder due to the screaming girls!!

He is doing a great job in my opinion, couldn´t have wished for more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home