Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Beyond disappointed!!! Father Son rnr road-trip over!
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 21, 2021 15:19

Good one. Your lad will probably remember that for the rest of his life - probably the taxi ride as well...........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-21 20:49 by EddieByword.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 21, 2021 15:20

Best news from Austin!!!
So glad to hear that!!!
hot smiley

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: November 21, 2021 15:22

Awesome glad you made it!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 21, 2021 17:46

Yippee! Thanks for checking in guyrachel. Looking forward to hearing more.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 21, 2021 18:54

MisterDDDD
guyrachel
Will Report later, on the red eye back to Newark, BUT WE GOT THERE! After a 2 Hour Taxi ride!!!

Gold rings on ya!
smileys with beer

Best comment this day! And yes, congrats!

Another Keith like comment:
"Its good to be anywhere, it's best to be in Austin"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-21 18:55 by falo01.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 21, 2021 20:12

guyrachel
Will Report later, on the red eye back to Newark, BUT WE GOT THERE! After a 2 Hour Taxi ride!!!

thumbs up

Highlight of the show was reading this story and hoping with anticipation for a positive outcome - happy you made it!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 21, 2021 20:30

Good on ya man, you’re adrenaline must’ve been off the charts!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 21, 2021 20:45

Isn't Parker CEO of American? Send him a painted copy of the set list.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 22, 2021 03:21

Waaaahhhhheeyyyyy
Glad you made it!!

In a years time it’ll be a great story.
(You’ll have recovered by then)

Re: Beyond disappointed!!! Father Son rnr road-trip over? (but made it!)
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 22, 2021 03:42

Good job pulling it off. No doubt it was memorable.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: November 22, 2021 03:53

Woohoo! Happy you made it thumbs up Father-son memories to last a lifetime smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2021 04:31

Great you made it! You should change the thread title to "BEYOND ECSTATIC!"

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 22, 2021 08:49

So excited you made it, that's awesome!! hot smiley We were all pulling for you!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: November 22, 2021 17:50

Maybe this could be a nice article for the no 62 IORR.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 22, 2021 17:55

I can't imagine the stress of an experience like that. So glad it worked out.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: November 27, 2021 15:50

Apologies to anyone & everyone for not getting back to write this sooner!
We had the longest TAXI ride in history! As I sit writing this, I’ve put on Blue & Lonesome (but I long for some new NEW music from my boys)Having an 8 year old boy,& moving apartment in a new city has been challenging so a nice relaxing journey to see the Stones in sunny Austin seemed a great diversion…anyway, having finally made it to the hotel, all very easy, by 5.45, I’d promised Ben a swim in the outdoor pool, besides I knew we had hours before the concert, so we had a 15 minute outside swim(pretty chilly even in 70+ Austin, but Ben loved it and it was just what we both needed after such a long odyssey!
We were washed and showered in 10, and outside waiting for the Uber by 6.45pm,besides I knew it was only 20 mins away….then eventually after having been let down by 3 Ubers, one shows up, Jorge, a Montessori teacher from Columbia, and we’re off…we’d be there in 20 mins…Jorge says it would be closer to 40 mins, a rapid calculation in my head,still meant we’d arrive about 7.40, plenty of time for getting to our seats, although when I looked at Ben, and the prospect of 40 minutes…well luckily he had the window down, as the sun went down, rocking along to the stereo in the taxi…so I settled back determined to enjoy the build up, as I always have in 39 years of RS concert going, (Wembley 82 Saturday via Brixton Academy in 95 & Empire in 98 to Marseilles 2018 and 15 others), after 40 minutes, Jorge, our taxi driver is beginning to annoy me with his constant tutting, sighing, & general frustration with the traffic, I felt sure we must be close, then the radio, playing a roster of good ol’ fashioned rock, announces that the Stones will be onstage at 8.15 approx, check my watch, still 35 mins to go, and I KNOW we must have done the BULK of the journey, and then as darkness property descends, I see the line of taillights stretching out ahead as far as the eye can see, and Jorge turns to me to say it’s going to be another 30 minutes, “ok we can still get there for what I’m sure will be Street Fighting Man, what I’m certain will be the opener, I SO want my boy to experience the excitement of the start of a Rolling Stones concert, but he has, thank god, after rolling his eyes at me at the extended time in the taxi, settled down to sleep on my lap, by now I’m beginning to panic a bit, the darkness, Jorge’s irritation, the multiple queues of cars, and the aggression of some drivers, begins to make feel like we’re NOT going to make the START…my sat nav on Google mirrors Jorge’s sat nav, but where his says 40 mins mine says 20, I think we could still just make it. I text Dave, who we met at the airport, who’s already there, who says they could come onstage at 8.30, and now it’s 8.34pm, I almost think oh @#$%& it, this is just not worth it, then I think we can’t have come all this way, and not see them at all!!!
Jorge turns to me, by now we’ve not moved for 10 mins, it’s 7.57pm, & he says the sat nav says it’s more than an hour, if we carry on this way….the thought of sitting still in this endless jam, reminds me of Woodstock, Jorge says the nav says you could go back all the way to the airport, and in the other side & thats only 40 MORE mins(but at least it’s moving(Ben is now in deep sleep, curled up on my legs, it’s 8.15 now, and I think anything is better than this endless black jam, so I take responsibility for once, and say, “do it” (I think I’m in a movie)and Jorge turns the car around, in the blackness, now with an endless line of headlights facing us and we drive off, god knows if we’ll even arrive, but at least we are MOVING…& as we cut through the night, my mood lifts, Ben is STILL asleep, and I can feel Jorge’s mood lifting (although $60 via Uber, if we were on a meter, we’d be up in the 100s by now)and the car keeps on moving, the endless queue still backing up, “Black Limousine” comes on the radio…”we used to ride around in limousines” always weirdly had a soft spot for this tune, Mick, Keef & Ronnie…& I think we’ll we certainly are now: riding around indeed!
Jorge, for the first time, mood begins to lift, he’s tapping the steering wheel, muttering ….”yes, yes” I’ve rarely ever seen a taxi driver excited, but he is, he’s excited coz he’s found another route, every minute he taps the sat nav, and yes, somehow unbelievably he’s found a route in, how I’m not sure, and I don’t think he knows either, but we just keep on moving, and I can feel it, I can see that glow, off to my left, that only a stadium (kind of)can make, Jorge: “we’re gonna do it, we’re gonna do it” while I’m now excited, that it looks we’ll get there in one piece, I’m concerned about the boy, and how many songs we’ll have missed,Ben wakes up, turns through 360 degrees on his seat, we turn a corner, and I can see the tip of one of the 4 giant screens, as we keep moving, all 4 come into view: THEY ARE ALL YELLOW: the concert has not even STARTED! I say to Jorge, could I have his number, in case, for when we finish (I’ve already planned an exit strategy, and take down Jorge’s number, but as we tumble out of the car, knowing we can’t have long, as I look around at the sheer enormity of 120000 people gathered and gathering at this race track, I think little chance of seeing Jorge again…never mind he did get us here…Ben and I run off, thanking Jorge profusely, and we run together towards a big illuminated sign GATE 3, I know we need GATE 2, but I can’t see it anywhere, we both do a quick pee, the security feels friendly, and they let us through, even though we’re at the wrong gate: I did plead “I’ve got an 8 year old boy, we’ve been on the road since 3.45am, don’t make us walk another 20 mins to GATE 2, we’re waived in, and we run down the slope, and we hear: LADIES & GENTLEMEN WOULD YOU PLEASE WELCOME THE ROLLING STONES…the slash of Keith’s opening chords….everywhere and we’re running up over the brow of this mini hill, and both Ben and I look at each other, in a state of simple sweet giddy excitement!!! To be continued shortly today, need a cup of tea!

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: November 27, 2021 15:52

Date: 2021-11-27 15:44

Apologies to anyone & everyone for not getting back to write this sooner!
We had the longest TAXI ride in history! As I sit writing this, I’ve put on Blue & Lonesome (but I long for some new NEW music from my boys)Having an 8 year old boy,& moving apartment in a new city has been challenging so a nice relaxing journey to see the Stones in sunny Austin seemed a great diversion…anyway, having finally made it to the hotel, all very easy, by 5.45, I’d promised Ben a swim in the outdoor pool, besides I knew we had hours before the concert, so we had a 15 minute outside swim(pretty chilly even in 70+ Austin, but Ben loved it and it was just what we both needed after such a long odyssey!
We were washed and showered in 10, and outside waiting for the Uber by 6.45pm,besides I knew it was only 20 mins away….then eventually after having been let down by 3 Ubers, one shows up, Jorge, a Montessori teacher from Columbia, and we’re off…we’d be there in 20 mins…Jorge says it would be closer to 40 mins, a rapid calculation in my head,still meant we’d arrive about 7.40, plenty of time for getting to our seats, although when I looked at Ben, and the prospect of 40 minutes…well luckily he had the window down, as the sun went down, rocking along to the stereo in the taxi…so I settled back determined to enjoy the build up, as I always have in 39 years of RS concert going, (Wembley 82 Saturday via Brixton Academy in 95 & Empire in 98 to Marseilles 2018 and 15 others), after 40 minutes, Jorge, our taxi driver is beginning to annoy me with his constant tutting, sighing, & general frustration with the traffic, I felt sure we must be close, then the radio, playing a roster of good ol’ fashioned rock, announces that the Stones will be onstage at 8.15 approx, check my watch, still 35 mins to go, and I KNOW we must have done the BULK of the journey, and then as darkness property descends, I see the line of taillights stretching out ahead as far as the eye can see, and Jorge turns to me to say it’s going to be another 30 minutes, “ok we can still get there for what I’m sure will be Street Fighting Man, what I’m certain will be the opener, I SO want my boy to experience the excitement of the start of a Rolling Stones concert, but he has, thank god, after rolling his eyes at me at the extended time in the taxi, settled down to sleep on my lap, by now I’m beginning to panic a bit, the darkness, Jorge’s irritation, the multiple queues of cars, and the aggression of some drivers, begins to make feel like we’re NOT going to make the START…my sat nav on Google mirrors Jorge’s sat nav, but where his says 40 mins mine says 20, I think we could still just make it. I text Dave, who we met at the airport, who’s already there, who says they could come onstage at 8.30, and now it’s 8.34pm, I almost think oh @#$%& it, this is just not worth it, then I think we can’t have come all this way, and not see them at all!!!
Jorge turns to me, by now we’ve not moved for 10 mins, it’s 7.57pm, & he says the sat nav says it’s more than an hour, if we carry on this way….the thought of sitting still in this endless jam, reminds me of Woodstock, Jorge says the nav says you could go back all the way to the airport, and in the other side & thats only 40 MORE mins(but at least it’s moving(Ben is now in deep sleep, curled up on my legs, it’s 8.15 now, and I think anything is better than this endless black jam, so I take responsibility for once, and say, “do it” (I think I’m in a movie)and Jorge turns the car around, in the blackness, now with an endless line of headlights facing us and we drive off, god knows if we’ll even arrive, but at least we are MOVING…& as we cut through the night, my mood lifts, Ben is STILL asleep, and I can feel Jorge’s mood lifting (although $60 via Uber, if we were on a meter, we’d be up in the 100s by now)and the car keeps on moving, the endless queue still backing up, “Black Limousine” comes on the radio…”we used to ride around in limousines” always weirdly had a soft spot for this tune, Mick, Keef & Ronnie…& I think we’ll we certainly are now: riding around indeed!
Jorge, for the first time, mood begins to lift, he’s tapping the steering wheel, muttering ….”yes, yes” I’ve rarely ever seen a taxi driver excited, but he is, he’s excited coz he’s found another route, every minute he taps the sat nav, and yes, somehow unbelievably he’s found a route in, how I’m not sure, and I don’t think he knows either, but we just keep on moving, and I can feel it, I can see that glow, off to my left, that only a stadium (kind of)can make, Jorge: “we’re gonna do it, we’re gonna do it” while I’m now excited, that it looks we’ll get there in one piece, I’m concerned about the boy, and how many songs we’ll have missed,Ben wakes up, turns through 360 degrees on his seat, we turn a corner, and I can see the tip of one of the 4 giant screens, as we keep moving, all 4 come into view: THEY ARE ALL YELLOW: the concert has not even STARTED! I say to Jorge, could I have his number, in case, for when we finish (I’ve already planned an exit strategy, and take down Jorge’s number, but as we tumble out of the car, knowing we can’t have long, as I look around at the sheer enormity of 120000 people gathered and gathering at this race track, I think little chance of seeing Jorge again…never mind he did get us here…Ben and I run off, thanking Jorge profusely, and we run together towards a big illuminated sign GATE 3, I know we need GATE 2, but I can’t see it anywhere, we both do a quick pee, the security feels friendly, and they let us through, even though we’re at the wrong gate: I did plead “I’ve got an 8 year old boy, we’ve been on the road since 3.45am, don’t make us walk another 20 mins to GATE 2, we’re waived in, and we run down the slope, and we hear: LADIES & GENTLEMEN WOULD YOU PLEASE WELCOME THE ROLLING STONES…the slash of Keith’s opening chords….everywhere and we’re running up over the brow of this mini hill, and both Ben and I look at each other, in a state of simple sweet giddy excitement!!! To be continued shortly today, need a cup of tea!

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 27, 2021 16:09

Great story so far dude, it's as if I too was running towards the stage with you and the boy, looking forward to part 2!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-27 16:11 by Milan.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 27, 2021 17:31

Thanks for the update, guy...

Looking forward to the rest.. but seems safe to conclude you all made lifetime memories out of this potential disaster.
I literally have reoccurring nightmares similar to this where I get lost in some strange city/country and am trying desperately to get to the gig.

Glad it worked out smileys with beer

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: November 27, 2021 18:36

"...and we’re running up over the brow of this mini hill, and both Ben and I look at each other, in a state of simple sweet giddy excitement!!"

What a cliffhanger!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 27, 2021 18:42

guyrachel email me if you want a link to the recording a friend of mine made. Might be fun to put it on the stereo and see if your son realizes it is HIS show.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home