Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Was Licks tour their most ambitious & thought out?
Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: November 19, 2021 09:53

I was thinking about the 2002 Licks tour and specifically the set lists and album themes and venues. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think they played clubs, arenas and stadiums and each show featured 4 songs from an album that’s considered to be one of their best. A quick look at the setlist page on [rocksoff.org]

It’s hard to argue with those setlists. What are your thoughts about that tour?

Re: Was Licks tour their most ambitious & thought out?
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 19, 2021 12:37

wonderful tour
they need to redo it for 60th

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 19, 2021 13:13

the last GREAT tour for sure....was pretty special....every show I saw at least.

Date: November 19, 2021 13:17

The setlists were ace (arenas and clubs, that is). The playing was poorer than on the NS-tour (arenas, with great setlists, too).

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 19, 2021 13:23

I think so, yes. The concept was unique at the time, and we got some really interesting and varied set-lists; especially the early U.S. theatre shows, if I recollect: Parachute Woman, Brand New Car, She Smiled Sweetly, etc. They got a little less interesting once they hit Europe. I recollect the Astoria show being a little underwhelming in comparison to the equivalent U.S. shows. Overall though, yes: terrific tour. It's interesting how many moaned about Keith, also. Compared to today's performances and capability, he was a Mozart of the six-string. I was watching some of the Twickenham '03 numbers on YouTube quite recently, and Keith's playing on the likes of Sympathy for the Devil and Rocks Off were truly top-notch.; especially the former.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: November 19, 2021 13:39

setlists were great,

soundwise it was sometimes so-so, lots of Chuck and BV's high in the mix, muddy guitars. They really changed that in the first leg of the ABB tour.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 19, 2021 14:18

I made a comment on this in another thread, but from my perspective, the Licks tour was their last great tour. And yes, what an undertaking for a pretty conservative band that does not readily mix-up their set-lists- to visit a city and play a stadium, arena, and smaller theatre venue (although not every city got that royal treatment-it seems that the American dates were more varied). I do agree with Big Al above, in that their playing although usually good, was not quite as sharp as prior tours, but the varied set-lists made up for it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-19 14:22 by Sighunt.

Date: November 19, 2021 14:34

I remember thinking that Keith isn't as 'on' as he was from what I'd heard from the Bridges to Babylon tour. However, in retrospect, his playing was still, largely, of a more consistent and high standard than today.

Anyway, as I said in my post above: it was a terrific tour. It's a personal favourite, as it's the tour I first caught them on. A lot of attention gets given to the theatre aspect, but let's not neglect the fact that the arena and stadium shows' had fairly varied set-lists, too: Undercover of the Night, If You Can't Rock Me, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Thru and Thru, Love Train, and countless others. I believe it's the last tour to have featured Rock and a Hard Place and Saint of Me, too: both performed in stadiums, I believe.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 19, 2021 14:50

Enmore Sydney Licks show was sensational. Couldn’t bring myself to go to the stadium show a few days later. Flew home to Perth. DO regret that decision now. Should have stayed to catch the BIG show. But hey …

Rod

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 19, 2021 14:53

Guitars were a bit more sloppy on the Licks-tour compared to No Security, but Mick was fantastic and Charlie was on fire, and overall the band was excellent and very inspired. Then on the Bigger Bang-tour it seemed like they'd lost some inspiration and were sometimes running on autopilot.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 19, 2021 15:09

The small-medium-large concept was a great compensation for the lack of a new album. I deeply regret not seeing an arena or theater show on that tour. DC only got a stadium show, and I didn’t have the means or time to travel elsewhere at the time.

Looking back, it was the beginning of a gradual decline for Keith. Those botched “Brown Sugar” intros became a thing on that tour.

There was talk of continuing the concept on the Bigger Bang tour; and while they never expanded t theaters again, we at least got stadiums plus arenas for a while. And then it was mainly stadiums, and then it was a head injury …

The 2013 setlists, and the return of Mick Taylor from the wilderness — that was an exciting time. Since The Zip Code tour, it’s more or less been the same show. I got to take my kids to see them in 2019, and that might be enough for me. It was a perfect ending.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 19, 2021 15:37

I enjoyed that tour very much. Very special memories, especially from the theatre shows. They should have done more of them.
The small, medium and large concept was only done in a dozen or so cities.

For the arena shows there was also the "album theme", four or five songs in a row from mostly Let It Bleed or Exile.
But there were a couple of shows with a Beggars Banquet or Sticky Fingers theme. I think only one each of Some Girls and Tattoo You.

Then there was Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Love Train, I Can't Turn You Loose, Mannish Boy, Neighbors, If You Can't Rock Me and many more songs they rarely play these days.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: November 19, 2021 15:45

The start of Keith's decline. A kind of...
What a difference with 1999

Date: November 19, 2021 16:04

AntoineParis

At the time, I hadn't heard enough from the No Security tour to judge, though I certainly did feel that there was a noticeable decline from the 1997-98 performances. It's just that, in retrospect, despite a dip, his playing was still good. The decline has continued, however. If today's shows were the first since '03, we'd be severely shocked, I think.

Date: November 19, 2021 16:08

AntoineParis

Let's not forget that Bridges to Babylon was a decline from the 1994-95 Voodoo Lounge tour; and, of course, the latter-mentioned was a decline from his 'modern-era' peak: the Steel Wheels and Urban Jungle tours. It's all been downhill for Keith since 1994, basically. It's just been very, very gradual.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: November 19, 2021 16:49

Big Al
AntoineParis

Let's not forget that Bridges to Babylon was a decline from the 1994-95 Voodoo Lounge tour; and, of course, the latter-mentioned was a decline from his 'modern-era' peak: the Steel Wheels and Urban Jungle tours. It's all been downhill for Keith since 1994, basically. It's just been very, very gradual.

I prefer the sound and playing of 1997 much more than the US tour 94 (it was much better in 95)
I think my favorite Keith is the one from 97-99.

Date: November 19, 2021 20:24

Big Al
AntoineParis

I agree. The deterioration has been incremental. I would say he was still, more or less, in 1989 shape on the last tour with the Winos. Not to belabor this thread with my assertions in another thread, but Keith did not help himself with his choice in gear as his dexterity declined.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 19, 2021 20:35

Last of the very special/great tours for sure - saw my fair share of shows in the US and Europe in 2002 and 2003 including theaters, clubs, arenas, and stadiums....
Every tour since has been the icing, but none have been quite as sweet as the Licks Tour with the possible exception of a few shows with Mick Taylor in '13 which rank near the top.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 19, 2021 22:31

1989 blows away any show from 2003.The band, especially Keith were great as was the setlist . And it was Bill's last shows in America

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: November 19, 2021 22:40

Rik
setlists were great,

soundwise it was sometimes so-so, lots of Chuck and BV's high in the mix, muddy guitars. They really changed that in the first leg of the ABB tour.

Agree with this.

First tour I saw was 40 Licks (I'm 34) and the sound quality was awful. I enjoyed the show despite the poor sound quality.

When I saw ABB on the 1st leg, the sound quality was state of the art. Was instantly hooked and have attended every tour since prior to Charlie's passing.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: November 19, 2021 22:44

MelBelli
The small-medium-large concept was a great compensation for the lack of a new album. I deeply regret not seeing an arena or theater show on that tour. DC only got a stadium show, and I didn’t have the means or time to travel elsewhere at the time.

Looking back, it was the beginning of a gradual decline for Keith. Those botched “Brown Sugar” intros became a thing on that tour.

There was talk of continuing the concept on the Bigger Bang tour; and while they never expanded t theaters again, we at least got stadiums plus arenas for a while. And then it was mainly stadiums, and then it was a head injury …

The 2013 setlists, and the return of Mick Taylor from the wilderness — that was an exciting time. Since The Zip Code tour, it’s more or less been the same show. I got to take my kids to see them in 2019, and that might be enough for me. It was a perfect ending.

The 2013 shows were outstanding. I was fortunate enough to see Mick Taylor play on Can't You Hear Me Knockin' which is something I'll remember for the rest of my life. Zip Code was great too, especially Moonlight Mile (got to see them play Champagne and Reefer with Buddy Guy too). Agree with you that when I went again in 2019 (Chicago, Tour's Opening Night) with my family (was my mom's first show) felt like icing on the cake and the perfect ending!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 19, 2021 22:51

Catching them both nights in Dublin, roughly 9,000 in the crowd and indoors have been among the best stones gigs I’ve seen. The stones have always had pretty good sound, but catching them indoors doesn’t compare with a stadium show. The setlists from this tour were brilliant. Big range of tunes played.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: November 19, 2021 23:10

Taylor1
1989 blows away any show from 2003.The band, especially Keith were great as was the setlist . And it was Bill's last shows in America

The 1989 tour was too polished, stiff and rehearsed compared to the 2003 tour. They played with much more swagger in 2003 and the overall sound was much more appealing and authentic.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 20, 2021 02:25

It was the last tour where it still felt like they had something to prove.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 20, 2021 03:27

The '99 tour was so great, they were so hot from two solid years of touring stadiums, and then they played arenas on the No Security tour. That was special. I took a date to see the Licks Tour in Los Angeles, and it was a step down. It got worse with the Biggest Bang tour. Licks had a great setlist, they just didn't have enough to pull it off anymore.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 20, 2021 03:36

yeababyyea
Taylor1

The 1989 tour was too polished, stiff and rehearsed compared to the 2003 tour. They played with much more swagger in 2003 and the overall sound was much more appealing and authentic.
The guitars were horrible on the 2003 show.1989 had great energy and playing

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2021 03:43

Taylor1
yeababyyea
Taylor1

1989 was sterile...polished...clean...santized...mechanical...and Mick looked goofy.

Date: November 20, 2021 03:49

Taylor1
yeababyyea
Taylor1

Keith could still pull off a great solo in 2003. There's more energy in this SFTD than in the 1989 versions I've heard.

Was Licks tour their most ambitious & thought out?
Date: November 20, 2021 04:01

yeababyyea
Taylor1
yeababyyea
Taylor1

Keith could still pull off a great solo in 2003. There's more energy in this SFTD than in the 1989 versions I've heard.

You prefer that — over this?confused smiley

[youtu.be]

Date: November 20, 2021 04:13

MelBelli

You prefer that — over this?confused smiley

[youtu.be]

Yes I do, I think Mick's voice was better in 2003, and while Keith is playing more in 1990, it's still sloppy in places, often hidden by distortion and delay.

For instance this 1989 solo is pretty terrible: [www.youtube.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-20 04:18 by yeababyyea.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home