Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Street Fighting Man-1973
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 19, 2021 23:59

Taylor1
The Wembley show may exist in their private collection. What about the very good quality snippet of the concert from Australia 1973 with the ping pong balls. Maybe that exists too. For me it would be a full concert from New York 1972 as long as there are no scenes of Truman Capote and the jet set crowd

Thats always possible, but the obvious comeback to that is 'why would they have spent money hiring a film crew to document it' ? There was no such thing as home video in 1973 so the only reason to film it would have been for a TV broadcast (and that would probably have been done by the broadcasting company itself) or a movie (and unlike 'Some Girls Live in Texas' which we knew had been gathering dust in the vaults as an unreleased movie long before its 2011 release, there's never been any rumours about this tour being filmed for cinematic release. To my knowledge, there's nothing from this tour included in 'Crossfire Hurricane' which - again - you would think would have been the case had there been anything of note in their vaults.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 20, 2021 00:41

I don't get the fascination about shows being filmed. Isn't it the music that it's all about? How often do we atctually watch concert films?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 20, 2021 00:50

Pretty much as I remember it - Keith leading from the front and everyone trying to keep up.

But here the audience are so static.

At Wembley they were all on their feet clapping and dancing - right to the back.
( this started with Rambler at the gig I was at)

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 20, 2021 01:34

Cocaine is one hell of a drug........

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: November 20, 2021 01:37

Then what happened in 75-76?!!!!!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 20, 2021 01:58

Gazza
ProfessorWolf

on a separate note does anyone know if any full shows where filmed by the bbc in 76 for the stones on the road special

The BBC didnt broadcast that special. It was on ITV.

Regarding 1973, the obvious chance to release a 1973 show was as part of the GHS reissue last year. I think its safe to say that by not doing so, its not going to happen.

a BBC-filmed show from Wembley '73 has been oft-rumoured but if its true, I think we would have had it confirmed by now, let alone have it released. Quite a few clips were 'liberated' from their vaults in the '90's (by a former poster on here who was a BBC employee and who was responsible for finding the Knebworth footage that we have) and that one was conspicious by it's absence.

Either the BBC have lost it or it never existed to begin with.
ah itv i stand corrected
so i pose the question again how much live footage did itv get in 76 for the stones on the road special seems like they shot a lot of footage in general for that and had a lot of access it also seems likely they had to cut stuff that wasn't fit for broadcast 45 years ago and cut even more to make it fit into the amount of broadcast time they where allowed and i assume it will be included in the eventual releases of the paris 76 and or knebworth show but it be cool if they could rework it with more footage and create a extended version of it like charlie is my darling might even make a good stand alone release by itself at that point

and i guess it was to much to hope that a complete 73 show was sitting in the bbc archive waiting to be rediscovered
oh well still got detroit 69 and pittsburgh 72 to hope for

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 20, 2021 02:16

MartinB
The lead guitar is annoying

Why? They were on there height including the lead guitarist .............

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 20, 2021 16:35

A fantastic version. The original just a distant blueprint somewhere there miles behind, and the guys just let it go. If the Stones literally ever been a guitar-driven band, this is it. Both Taylor and Richards, pure Diamond, the latter perfecting the rhythm drive, while the former, literally, out of this world. Jagger seemingly tired, already given more than enough, but who cares, still kicking ass.

Still recall when I first time saw this clip. The moment Taylor starts to play the vocal line in a second verse, that probably is the biggest Monty Python moment The Stones ever given to me. Totally out of blue... Unique, hilarous and exciting.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-20 16:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 20, 2021 16:50

great stuff!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 20, 2021 18:33

S.T.P
I don't get the fascination about shows being filmed. Isn't it the music that it's all about? How often do we atctually watch concert films?

The audio of a performance should stand on its own. The playing should be good enough to just listen to if you want. That being said, The Stones are, I would argue, the most entertaining band of all time. They absolutely belong on a stage in front of people doing what they do. Of course we want to watch the show as much as listen to it. Especially from this era. Are you kidding me??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-20 18:36 by ryanpow.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 20, 2021 18:34

NICOS
MartinB
The lead guitar is annoying

Why? They were on there height including the lead guitarist .............

Music is a matter of personal taste. I genuinly find some of Mick T's soloing annoying. I can't even stand Gimmi Shelter (my fav song of all times) on Brussels. I know this is a heresy, so sorry.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: November 20, 2021 18:54

ryanpow
S.T.P

The audio of a performance should stand on its own. The playing should be good enough to just listen to if you want. That being said, The Stones are, I would argue, the most entertaining band of all time. They absolutely belong on a stage in front of people doing what they do. Of course we want to watch the show as much as listen to it. Especially from this era. Are you kidding me??

I too would like to be able to watch a full 1973 show.

But I agree that music comes first and by far so professionnal audio recording is the main priority for me.

Date: November 20, 2021 19:17

I would pay money in exchange for hearing the conversations (during 72 and 73 tour) between Mick and Keith after they listened Taylor playing like that .

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 20, 2021 22:19

ryanpow
S.T.P

Of cource I wanna watch the show! Especially from '69-'73.smileys with beer It's just that I don't think it excist, and the music on it's own is as good the Stones will ever be. Ie. if a release of London '73, comes out I'll be very happy. If it comes with fottage, my nipples will explodegrinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 20, 2021 23:29

S.T.P
ryanpow
S.T.P

Of cource I wanna watch the show! Especially from '69-'73.smileys with beer It's just that I don't think it excist, and the music on it's own is as good the Stones will ever be. Ie. if a release of London '73, comes out I'll be very happy. If it comes with fottage, my nipples will explodegrinning smiley

The music is incredible, but to see them play it, come on. They put so much into their appearance. It's part of the act.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 21, 2021 02:59

S.T.P
ryanpow
S.T.P

Now that's more like it.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: November 22, 2021 00:02

A compilation of the best recordings from the tour... all that I need !

Date: November 22, 2021 00:22

emotionalbarbecue
I would pay money in exchange for hearing the conversations (during 72 and 73 tour) between Mick and Keith after they listened Taylor playing like that .

"Houston, we got a problem".smoking smiley

Date: November 22, 2021 00:38

emotionalbarbecue

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Firstly I doubt that Mick and Keith talked much after a show and secondly why would they talk about Taylor's playing?

I'm leaning towards the view that you think they might talk negatively.
But this was the era of the lead guitarist - and they had the best around - an asset surely.

It"s how it was - if you were young then and there you would have gone 'WOW!'

Keith's great rhythm work during this period ( a bit fast we may think now) was because he could sit back and enjoy it ('sit on the tiff's in his words) while the other soared to the skies on Keith's solid platform.

Keith wanted to sit on his riff - without someone sharing his riff-bench.

I'm not complaining.... nor those present in '73 ..... they were witnessing the king's reclaim their crown from all the glam wannabees .... and blowing them away
( anything you can do , we can do far better - and faster too)

That's the context

Along with a top emotional ballad to cover the other side of this era's coin.
Again, with commanding rolling rhythm and the most lyrical of leads.

And what could poor Taylor do - but to weave for this rock'n'roll band ..?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-22 00:48 by Four Stone Walls.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home