Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ot: english women's football (soccer)
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 18, 2021 02:41

Does anyone here follow women's soccer in England? I just started following Chelsea because they have Canadian Jessie Fleming, who seems to be doing well there. I know her because she was a key part of Canada winning the Olympic Gold in soccer. Reading up, she had a great college career at UCLA and recently she has been voted player of the match for several recent Chelsea matches.
Also started following Manchester City because fellow Canadian Olympic teammate Janine Beckie plays for them. She's been there a few years now and is one of Jessie's best friends. A nice Youtube video called Brewing With Beckie where she interviews Jessie. Chelsea just beat them 4-0 in their last game.
There are several other Canadian women playing in Europe, which is good to see!

Re: ot: english women's football (soccer)
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2021 07:41

It certainly gets a lot more media coverage than it did some years ago. I understand that attendances at matches have risen, though I wouldn’t imagine interest in women’s football is that high in comparison to the men’s, obviously. It’d be interesting to know the viewpoint of football fans who are female.

Date: November 18, 2021 10:20

I think they draw around 10k. I don't know if every men's team has a women's team too. I just started catching the scores online and seeing some highlights.

Date: November 18, 2021 10:25

Many Norwegian players in the league. I'm following, and I think the level on women's football in general is on a very high level now. They deserve more spectators (it's quite good in England, though), better tv-deals and more money from their respective federations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 10:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 19, 2021 00:53

Yes! The women's footy over here has really taken off in the last 6 months or so with coverage by BBC which is excellent.
They showed the two FA semi-final games back to back a couple of weeks ago and usually a league game on a weekend most weeks here.
Of course whenever they have international team games there is not just England but the other home nations that may be televised. smileys with beer

Date: December 6, 2021 02:46

Congrats to Chelsea and Canadian Jessie Fleming for beating Arsenal 3-0. Jessie wasn't involved in the scoring but she did play all 90 minutes!
I'm confused in regards to how many championships there are. This match is for the FA Cup, how many other cups are there to win and what is the domestic treble?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 6, 2021 05:06

DGA35
Congrats to Chelsea and Canadian Jessie Fleming for beating Arsenal 3-0. Jessie wasn't involved in the scoring but she did play all 90 minutes!
I'm confused in regards to how many championships there are. This match is for the FA Cup, how many other cups are there to win and what is the domestic treble?

.I'm not sure of the details of the women's game but with the men the situation is this. All the teams in the UK are divided into leagues of between 20 - 24 teams. There are different leagues in England, Scotland and Wales.
In England the professional leagues are:
1 - The Premiership - 20 teams including all the famous ones - Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur etc and so on......
20 teams that play each other twice in a season, home and away..So in this league the teams play 38 games in a season. They get 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw and 0 for a loss. The team with the most points at the end of the season wins the league. This is the domestic league as opposed to European cups etc.

There are two domestic cups, The FA cup (Football Association) and what used to be called the League cup (It's now given a new name every couple of years or so, depending on who is sponsoring it. These are knockout competitions with them whittling down to two teams who meet in the final. The winner of the final wins the cup.

So, if a team wins the domestic league (Premiership), the FA cup and the League cup - they have won the domestic treble..

As I say, there are further professional leagues under the Premiership: The Championship, League One and League Two. These three leagues all have 24 teams that also play each other twice each season, once at home, once away, so, 46 games for them.

There's also, relegation and promotion. At the end of the season, the bottom 3 teams from the Premiership go down to the Championship and the top 3 teams from the Championship come up to the Premiership. They then play their matches the following season in their new league.
This scenario is repeated with all the lower leagues too.

After that the leagues are amateur leagues down to what are known as Sunday leagues.......(5 pints of beer, a game, a fight and couple of cigarettes at halftime.........winking smiley

The beauty of the FA cup is that amateur sides, if they can win enough of their games in rounds one and two - it's a knockout competition - can and do sometimes end up playing against top professional teams - And, sometimes beat them. The draw for the 3rd round of the FA cup was on Monday gone. The top seeded teams enter the fray now and there are a few amateur teams left in so if they are lucky, an amateur team could be playing against Manchester United (or the like) in the 3rd round after christmas....and so on............

Hope that helps.......... or.......wiki ....

Edited 17 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 12:49 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 6, 2021 17:07

The way things are going here the women's footy will be become more of a focus than the men's.It's politically correct you see.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 6, 2021 17:40

I don't think that is true, Stargroover. People don't go and see football because it's politically correct.

Date: December 7, 2021 07:02

Congrats to Canadian and local Vancouverite Julia Grosso for signing with Juventus which I see is an Italian team. She scored the winning shootout goal to give Canada the gold medal in the Olympics back in August and just finished up a great 4 year college career for the Texas Longhorns.
Juventus plays Chelsea in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday which I guess is another league? Gets confusing to see all these different championships the teams compete for.
Manchester City was one of the teams trying to sign her. Would have been nice to see her play there and reunite with Cdn National teammate Janine Beckie.

Date: December 7, 2021 12:38

Tokenism my dear friend

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 7, 2021 13:04

Women are just as capable as men in playing football. Still, some with a macho mind may think women should stay at home. Women may play handball, run marathon, do cross country skiing, downhill skiing, golf and most other sports, just like men.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-07 13:05 by bv.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 7, 2021 13:09

Samantha Kerr from Perth Australia kicked 2 of Chelsea’s 3 in their win in the woman’s FA Cup Final in front of 40000 fans 2 nights ago.

She’s a STAR.

Rod

Date: December 7, 2021 15:49

eye popping smiley

Date: December 7, 2021 21:12

bitusa2012
Samantha Kerr from Perth Australia kicked 2 of Chelsea’s 3 in their win in the woman’s FA Cup Final in front of 40000 fans 2 nights ago.

She’s a STAR.

She is an excellent player!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 7, 2021 23:37

bv
Women are just as capable as men in playing football. Still, some with a macho mind may think women should stay at home. Women may play handball, run marathon, do cross country skiing, downhill skiing, golf and most other sports, just like men.

I think maybe what you meant to say is that women are just as entitled to play football as men which of course they certainly are.There is a gargantuan difference in the level of skill between female and male players.Take the best 11 female players and put them against the best 11 male players and it’s highly probable that the male team would score double figures and completely dominate possession.

Nate

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 8, 2021 07:03

bv

Personally I would not watch it. It has nothing to do with them being female and everything to do with the quality of football being not very good. Would I watch a men's sunday league team play if they put it on the TV? No I would not. Why? Because the quality of football is poor. So why watch poor quality football just because it is women playing?

I certainly do not think that "women should stay home". In fact, women should be encouraged to play more football and hopefully the quality will improve.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-08 07:46 by strat72.

Date: December 8, 2021 07:42

Nate
bv

I think maybe what you meant to say is that women are just as entitled to play football as men which of course they certainly are.There is a gargantuan difference in the level of skill between female and male players.Take the best 11 female players and put them against the best 11 male players and it’s highly probable that the male team would score double figures and completely dominate possession.

Nate

I guess you could say this for almost any sport where the men are physically stronger and better than the women. Regardless, they are professional athletes and are the best at what they do.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 8, 2021 08:44

There’s nothing wrong with women’s football; or any, ordinarily, male-dominated sport that women actively partake in. Good for those who enjoy it, I say. However, it’s rising levels of coverage, however, are partly due to changing equality laws and standards, rather than football fans all over a suddenly discovering women’s football. I genuinely don’t know anyone, personally, who follows it to any serious degree; and I’m acquainted with some serious football fan; you know, the ones who actually attend matches and follow their local club. None of this, I’m from Surrey, but ‘support’ Man Utd nonsense!

Date: December 8, 2021 13:01

Nate
bv

Nate

Completely irrelevant. In 50 years time women and men will play football at the same level. We all know men and women have different physical power, so competing man vs woman does not make any sense. It is a macho thought that women should stay at home caring for kids, rather than doing "man things" like sports, politics, chess. Please leave that to those who still live in the middle age.

Bjornulf

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: December 8, 2021 14:46

bv
Nate
bv

Nate

Completely irrelevant. In 50 years time women and men will play football at the same level. We all know men and women have different physical power, so competing man vs woman does not make any sense. It is a macho thought that women should stay at home caring for kids, rather than doing "man things" like sports, politics, chess. Please leave that to those who still live in the middle age.

thumbs up bv - the middle ages are over indeed

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 8, 2021 19:15

1st old lady - It's windy today........
2nd old lady - No, I think it's Thursday..........
3rd old lady - So am I, let's have a cup of tea.

Date: December 8, 2021 23:13

bv
Nate
bv

Nate

It is a fact not an opinion that the best female football players in the world do not come remotely close to the level of skill or speed of the best male players.

Nate

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 9, 2021 00:18

I'm out of here...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 9, 2021 11:56

I understand that my views on the subject matter might not be in line with current "politically correct" standards ...

C

Date: December 9, 2021 13:34

dead.flowers
bv
Nate
bv

Nate

thumbs up bv - the middle ages are over indeed

Obviously not for some angry middle age men complaining about women doing "men's sports".

Bjornulf

Date: December 9, 2021 13:46

Never have I said that women shouldn't play football or any other sport they wish to do.I simply said that there is an undeniable difference in the level of skill and speed between men and women.

Nate

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 9, 2021 15:04

I watched a few of the female soccer games: Holland - England and Norway

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 9, 2021 15:10

DGA35
bitusa2012

She’s a STAR.

She is an excellent player!

Check out how SHE took out a stupid male pitch invader only last night, good old Aussie Football hip and shoulder.

[amp.smh.com.au]

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-09 15:11 by bitusa2012.

Date: December 9, 2021 15:20

Nate
Never have I said that women shouldn't play football or any other sport they wish to do.I simply said that there is an undeniable difference in the level of skill and speed between men and women.

Nate

This thread is about following female football. It is NOT about hating or posting about how low level female football is vs male football. If you do not care about female football, then there is no point in posting negative here. Find a place where negativity is welcome, certainly not here.

Just the fact that you compare men to women, and you want the best 11 men to compete with the best 11 women, is saying you have a hidden agenda. As you sure do know, men and women do have separate competing groups in all sports, because men are physically stronger. Also, men have been playing football for 100+ years. Just give women a few more generations, then you will see they are just as capable of "bending it like Beckham", as any other male football player.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home