Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Allman Brothers Band To Be Subject Of Rock Biopic From ‘The Notebook’ & ‘John Q’ Director Nick Cassavetes
Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: November 17, 2021 19:35

[www.yahoo.com]

Filmmaker Nick Cassavetes and Sunset Blvd Films are developing a movie about iconic 70s rock group The Allman Brothers Band. Cassavetes, known for box office successes John Q, The Notebook and The Other Woman, will write and direct the film based on Scott Freeman’s book.

The Untitled Allman Brothers biopic will revisit the tale of Gregg and Duane Allman, two brothers raised by a single mother, whose shared love for blues and R&B music evolved into a career marked by platinum-selling records, sold-out stadium concerts, a marriage to Hollywood royalty (Cher) and a relationship with president Jimmy Carter.

The feature will tell of the brothers’ difficult childhood, their impressive self-education in the world of Southern blues and R&B, their unsuccessful early musical incarnations and their triumph as they rose to great wealth and success. It will explore Gregg’s marriage to Cher and his commitment to helping Jimmy Carter win the White House and chronicle the band’s dissolution and triumphant re-emergence as one of the strongest live groups on tour. The band, known for hits such as Ramblin’ Man, Jessica, Blue Sky and Melissa, were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995.

Re: OT: The Allman Brothers Band To Be Subject Of Rock Biopic From ‘The Notebook’ & ‘John Q’ Director Nick Cassavetes
Posted by: BFR ()
Date: November 17, 2021 23:34

This sounds cool! I wonder if Chuck will have any involvement.

Re: OT: The Allman Brothers Band To Be Subject Of Rock Biopic From ‘The Notebook’ & ‘John Q’ Director Nick Cassavetes
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 18, 2021 00:41

Looking forward to it!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 18, 2021 17:02

One of my fave bands. Should be an interesting watch. Made me remember that there's already been a movie about the ABB, "Almost Famous" written and directed by Cameron Crowe. If I remember right, Crowe said the story for the movie was based on the ABB. I wonder if they'll bring up the firing of founding member Dickey Betts as part of the story. BTW, if you haven't seen "Almost Famous", treat yourself. It's a great movie.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 18, 2021 18:00

Always loved the Dickie Betts, Warren Haynes, Allen Woody lineup.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 18, 2021 18:33

More Hot Rocks
10000%

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 18, 2021 18:50

Almost Famous is a great film, but it is a fictional tale, based around Cameron Crowe’s life. It weaves together truth and fiction and has many strong performances. The Allman Brothers are certainly one reference point for the fictional band Sweetwater. The ABB’s roadie Red Dog portrays himself in the film. The hilarious scene where their plane almost crashes seems more of a riff on the Lynyrd Skynyrd tale, albeit with a less disastrous ending.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 18, 2021 19:40

TheGreek
More Hot Rocks
10000%

Agree, seen them maybe a dozen times but unfortunately I was never able to see the original band so I have nothing to compare to.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 18, 2021 19:45

dmay
I wonder if they'll bring up the firing of founding member Dickey Betts as part of the story.

It's based on a book that I think came out way before that happened so I'm guessing they won't, but maybe that's just the basis for most of the movie and they'll bring it all the way up to the end...

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 18, 2021 22:48

Javadave
Almost Famous is a great film, but it is a fictional tale, based around Cameron Crowe’s life. It weaves together truth and fiction and has many strong performances. The Allman Brothers are certainly one reference point for the fictional band Sweetwater. The ABB’s roadie Red Dog portrays himself in the film. The hilarious scene where their plane almost crashes seems more of a riff on the Lynyrd Skynyrd tale, albeit with a less disastrous ending.

Hmmmm....Crowe had a character called Red Dog in the Almost Famous movie but Red Dog playing himself in the movie just didn't happen. In fact Red Dog is played by Zack Ward, an actor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 22:50 by 1cdog.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 18, 2021 22:54

I've always wanted a film that would focus on the real Allman Brothers, with Duane. There seems to be very little good footage of the original band. Even the Fillmore East stuff never seems to have been professionally worked on. I hope they get this right. I recently got hold of an Allman Brothers boxset. I thought I'd give some post Duane cuts a try. Maybe a handful. I'm not saying they weren't good, but it's like comparing today's Stones against the Stones of the 60s and 70s.

Date: November 19, 2021 01:11

24FPS
I've always wanted a film that would focus on the real Allman Brothers, with Duane. There seems to be very little good footage of the original band. Even the Fillmore East stuff never seems to have been professionally worked on. I hope they get this right. I recently got hold of an Allman Brothers boxset. I thought I'd give some post Duane cuts a try. Maybe a handful. I'm not saying they weren't good, but it's like comparing today's Stones against the Stones of the 60s and 70s.

Listen to Shades Of Two Worlds , where it all begins , Seven Turns ABB live cds Sets One and Two. I’m sorry this is the best line up as I mentioned before. Not the original

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 19, 2021 02:26

"Shades Of Two Worlds" and "Where It All Begins" are very good albums. If you dig the ABB check them out. There's also an acoustic set by the band that should have been released as a major album. It is really good, especially the song "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed". I bought it through an ABB fan site back then as part of a charity fund raiser. You may be able to find it on utoob or torrent sites. I found this link to it.

[albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 19, 2021 02:28

I met Duane Betts (Dickey's son) at the recent Tampa Stones show.
Had a sweet converstation with him and thanked him for keeping the spirit of the Allman's alive.
Nice guy.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 19, 2021 03:18

I hope they are not a blues cover band or a mediocre pub band or something. That would be oh so awful. Or something.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-19 03:19 by Doxa.

Date: November 19, 2021 08:50

More Hot Rocks
24FPS

Listen to Shades Of Two Worlds , where it all begins , Seven Turns ABB live cds Sets One and Two. I’m sorry this is the best line up as I mentioned before. Not the original

Are you saying the later version of the Allman Brothers is better than the Duane Allman version of the band? That's like saying you'd rather hear the current version of the Stones than the one that toured Europe in 1973.

Date: November 19, 2021 19:31

24FPS
More Hot Rocks
24FPS

Are you saying the later version of the Allman Brothers is better than the Duane Allman version of the band? That's like saying you'd rather hear the current version of the Stones than the one that toured Europe in 1973.

Yes I am. And it’s not comparing them to The Stones. Like good blues and jazz bands members come and go. Just because the some originals members have passed. That doesn’t mean that the new lineup is not as good. In this case they hit their peak. Anybody that is a true ABB follower will tell you the same. Even one poster agreed with me 100000 percent. Go listen to the live recordings with Haynes and Woody.

Best ABB lineups

1. Betts, Haynes and Woody

2 Betts , Jack Pearson, Oteil Burbridge

3. Betts. Allman Oakley

Date: November 20, 2021 06:11

More Hot Rocks
24FPS
More Hot Rocks
24FPS

Yes I am. And it’s not comparing them to The Stones. Like good blues and jazz bands members come and go. Just because the some originals members have passed. That doesn’t mean that the new lineup is not as good. In this case they hit their peak. Anybody that is a true ABB follower will tell you the same. Even one poster agreed with me 100000 percent. Go listen to the live recordings with Haynes and Woody.

Best ABB lineups

1. Betts, Haynes and Woody

2 Betts , Jack Pearson, Oteil Burbridge

3. Betts. Allman Oakley

Sorry. NO ONE was ever better in that group than Duane Allman. In fact he might be the greatest slide guitarist ever. He gave them their direction. He was a superstar.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 20, 2021 12:08

I’m no expert on the ABB whatsoever. That being said, I remember, the first time I played and heard Hittin’ The Note (2003), I thought, “This is better than the first two studio albums recorded with Duane.” I don’t know whether this is a view supported or justified by their aficionados, though.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 20, 2021 16:29

A few things:

The Duane version can't be touched although several later incarnations were very good - including the final version with Haynes and Trucks on guitars.

I never got to see Duane (1st show was the Leavell-Williams version in 1975). Dickie was smoking hot on guitar that night!

Gregg is arguably the best white blues singer ever (yes, I love Mick).

The Allman Betts Band does some covers during their set - Dreams, Elizabeth Reed, Blue Sky, Midnight Rider (very good job, too) - , but write their own stuff, much of which is excellent.

The Seven Turns era has many great songs.

I would avoid the early 80's output.

Visit The Big House if you're ever in Macon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home