Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

(10 years ago today) Brussels '73 Now Available From Google Music
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 17, 2021 00:46

News

November 16, 2011
Brussels '73 Now Available From Google Music

Google has just announced the launch of a new Google Music store in the Android Marketplace. Among the new store's exclusive new offerings is the first in a series of previously unreleased live recordings by the Rolling Stones. First up is the long-bootlegged October 1973 show in Brussels, officially released at last in a new mix overseen by the band.

You can download the whole thing now from the Android Marketplace, or get a free sample in the form of a rare performance of the song "Dancing With Mr. D". Five more shows will be released over the next year, so stay tuned for more announcements.

For for more on this new series of treasures from the Stones vaults, check out the video below.
[www.keithrichards.com]

For countries (not covered by Google Music) it was available on November 17 through Stonesarchive in flac.

Just checked my HDD, downloaded November 17, 2011 around 4 PM.

Re: (10 years ago today) Brussels '73 Now Available From Google Music
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 17, 2021 00:59

That's quite an anniversary

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 17, 2021 10:09

Not probably the most memorable anniversary, but it is a nice reminder how our heroes having an eye for what's going on in industry and are able to make some money from that sight. Google Music is a huge factor nowadays, but releasing BRUSSELS and the five other shows were a part of promoting their new brandnew service back then, and they surely paid a good money for the Stones for that. Universal Music Group surely had a role there, too - as they would later release these shows as physical releases in FROM THE VAULT series, which might suggest that the whole idea of releasing the old concerts was already planned, and the Google Music deal fitted pretty well ($$$) to a plan. Wiki says:

After a six-month beta period, Google publicly launched the service in the US on November 16, 2011, as "Google Music" with its "These Go to Eleven" announcement event. The event introduced several features of the service, including a music store integrated into the then-named Android Market, music sharing via the Google+ social network, "Artist Hub" pages for musicians to self-publish music, and song purchasing reflected on T-Mobile phone bills. At launch, Google had partnerships with three major labels – Universal Music Group, EMI, and Sony Music Entertainment – along with other, smaller labels, although no agreement had been reached with Warner Music Group; in total, 13 million tracks were covered by these deals, 8 million of which were available for purchase on the launch date. To promote the launch, several artists released free songs and exclusive albums through the store; The Rolling Stones debuted the live recording Brussels Affair (Live 1973), and Pearl Jam released a live concert recorded in Toronto as 9.11.2011 Toronto, Canada.

But for us fans what a nice surprise it was at the time. Many of us here were downloading BRUSSELS and the rest from Stonesarchive and were more than thrilled (at least I was). DVD/CD SOME GIRLS LIVE IN TEXAS was also released about the same time, and then there would be a new show to be dowloaded for a few bucks every two months or so. Now we take everything as granted and are asking 'release this and release that' but at the time them actually 'opening the vaults' was a new concept (something we had hoped for years to happen).

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 10:55 by Doxa.

Date: November 17, 2021 13:58

Stones Archive released it in FLAC (a little earlier?) and Google Music only in mp3.

Does Google Music still exist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 14:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 17, 2021 14:15

DandelionPowderman

No, it's since 1-Dec-2020 part of YouTube Music - [Music.YouTube.com] .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 17, 2021 14:20

Irix
DandelionPowderman

No, it's since 1-Dec-2020 part of YouTube Music - [Music.YouTube.com] .

Haha, I thought the service is still available (never used it), but yeah, seeminingly part of YouTube Music these days.

- Doxa

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 17, 2021 14:56

DandelionPowderman
Stones Archive released it in FLAC (a little earlier?) and Google Music only in mp3.
In reverse (if memory serves me well).
Google Music released it a little earlier and in mp3 only.
FLAC was available through stonesarchive next day (or a few hours later) for the countries that were not covered by Google Music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 14:58 by ironbelly.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: November 17, 2021 21:23

ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
FLAC was available through stonesarchive next day (or a few hours later) for the countries that were not covered by Google Music.

Right.

And what a great start for Stones Archive

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 18, 2021 02:20

I still hope they release "Light the Fuse" on silver discs one day.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 18, 2021 03:19

ds1984
ironbelly
DandelionPowderman

Right.

And what a great start for Stones Archive

Yeah, and what a sad end - 5 releases only, and we all hoped it could be the start for a seemingly neverending stream of unreleased live and possibly also studio outtakes.

Of course, there have been more archive releases since then, but Stones Archive could have been the home for material where only audio exists.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: November 18, 2021 07:28

I was lucky enough to get these in FLAC, but i've always coveted the Physical Formats. When the Brussels Affair Boxset was released I couldn't believe the price of the Super Deluxe in order to get the CD's $1300

Luckily the show is now on one CD with the Goats Head Soup Super Deluxe for only $220, so I will be buying that as a Christmas present too myself.

But of these releases "Texas 78" is utterly phenomenal, the Blu-Ray Audio is beyond stunning imo.

L.A. 75 which drew a fair bit of chatter about when, was imo a great release, it's sloppy, but solid, meandering but in motion, dripping in Indulgence etc

I thought they should have spent more time between releases and fleshed them out more with the Website, dropping tid bits about sessions, releasing additional unfinished mixes as an extra for the die hards to purchase.

As Mick once said "Sometimes I think about releasing the entire thing on the Internet and Mix it yourself" in response to a question about the Exile mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-18 16:00 by SKILLS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home