Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Detroit show live updates - Monday 15-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 16, 2021 17:59

Nikkei
I suppose you could use your hat to mop up some spilled coffee but it's bewildering if you'd put it back on afterwards

There may be "grounds" for that move, I need to check...smoking smiley

Re: Detroit show live updates - Monday 15-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 16, 2021 18:33

Great solo from Keith here, looking really sharp to me, ( drunk ?? No way. )

If a drunk guitarist is messing up the intro to Gimme Shelter blame it on the secret guitarist hidding behind the stage winking smiley

HTW.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-16 18:45 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 16, 2021 18:59

Just when you think the Stones peaked maybe 5 shows ago they come out with this one, when do you see all of them storming it at the same time like this, words can't describe this performance, best Rambled since Taylor.

RAMBLER. Rolling Stones heaven, Keith and Ronnie are back, and Mick ? Well Mick never went away did he.hot smiley and Steve Jordan, wow is he pushing these old legends to the limit or what.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-16 19:21 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 16, 2021 19:39

My section was Lucky Dip World it seemed. Section 109, row 6 and 7. I had several empty seats next to me. I heard about Lucky Dippers missing their flights as we waited at the pick up window. . Much to my wife's relief we didn't end up in the pit which was jam packed. This show had been a stiff until the border reopened and the Canadians came pouring in.

Best I've heard them in 28 years. They played like they had the proverbial hell hounds on their trail. I guess grief, illness and death will do that. Steve Jordan was pushing them harder than Charlie ever did. Absolutely brilliant except for Ronnie who apparently forgot he was supposed to play a lead to close out "Ain't Too Proud to Beg."

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 16, 2021 20:12

just when I thought I might have enough

listen to this MR

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 16, 2021 20:27

Editorial reports and pictures updated:

The Rolling Stones
Ford Field
Detroit MI USA
Monday November 15, 2021

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2021 20:56

From the Detroitnews review that bye bye johnny posted:

"Though Keith Richards seemed to mentally come and go in and out of the show (just as his guitar seemed to magically switch on and off),
Jagger was a nonstop source of energy and entertainment, a bouncing, strutting, preening figure with more pep in his step than a Peloton instructor".

I thought something was a bit off with Keith last night (more so than the usual screw ups), and evidently others noticed also - including the press.
Thankfully Mick was there to hold down the fort and carry the torch (again)- he's carrying alot of weight on his shoulders this tour on so many levels.
Mick rightfully deserves all the accolades he's receiving - it's astonishing the way he still carries on considering his age, and all the health issues he's endured - hats off to him!
Hopefully Keith can get it more together for the next couple of shows, but seems he's slowly fizzling out, losing interest, and out of focus. Hope he plays Happy one more time this tour.thumbs up

[www.detroitnews.com]

Posted by: FloridaStoner ()
Date: November 16, 2021 21:17

Opening [youtu.be]
Opening Pit 2 Keef side. Charlie montage with SFM.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 16, 2021 21:30

rbk
My section was Lucky Dip World it seemed. Section 109, row 6 and 7. I had several empty seats next to me. I heard about Lucky Dippers missing their flights as we waited at the pick up window. . Much to my wife's relief we didn't end up in the pit which was jam packed. This show had been a stiff until the border reopened and the Canadians came pouring in.

Best I've heard them in 28 years. They played like they had the proverbial hell hounds on their trail. I guess grief, illness and death will do that. Steve Jordan was pushing them harder than Charlie ever did. Absolutely brilliant except for Ronnie who apparently forgot he was supposed to play a lead to close out "Ain't Too Proud to Beg."

Sometimes having an opener like Zak Brown will bring out the best of the Stones. They covered Bohemian Rhapsody, Devil Went to Georgia and Into the Mystic....interesting

Date: November 16, 2021 21:33

I looked at the videos and Keith was playing OK for the most of the show.I do not think anything is wrong with him.

Posted by: FloridaStoner ()
Date: November 16, 2021 21:39

19th NB [https://youtu.be/l1oHspw8o8I]
PIT B/2 Keef side.

Detroit - Monday 15-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 16, 2021 21:51

The Rolling Stones gave Detroit their money's worth with dazzling — and age-defying — performance

Posted By Jerilyn Jordan
Nov 16, 2021

Joe Maroon

Swashbuckling guitarist and founding member of "the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world" Keith Richards — who allegedly once snorted his dad's ashes and managed to stay completely awake for nine days while recording 1978's Some Girls — recited one of his more quotable quotes for an estimated 40,000 people at Detroit's Ford Field on Monday: "It's good to be anywhere."

And last night, it felt really good to be with the Stones.

Not only was the performance — which marked the 21st Detroit-area concert the band has put on since 1964, when they performed at the former Olympia Stadium — delayed from June 2020, but there's something about watching a band of 70-some-year-olds who, for all intents and purposes, may as well be the last living rock band, do what the Stones have done for six decades: f*cking rock the house down. What? Do you actually think Foo Fighters or, like, Imagine Dragons are going to be jumping, jiving, and giving some of the best performances to nearly sold-out crowds when they're almost 100 years old? (Sorry, not sorry, Grohl.)

The band took to a hulking stage with an equally hulky screen set up, which is seemingly modest for a band that once had a mechanical bridge extend into the audience during their Bridges to Babylon tour. Before the band appeared in their respective sequined and, in Ronnie Wood's case, crushed velvet, garb, the evening opened with a video tribute to Charlie Watts, the band's late, longtime drummer who was known as a consummate gentleman and the heartbeat of rock 'n' roll ... as in all of rock 'n' roll. Watts, who died in August, also received a second tribute from sparkling, whirling frontman Mick Jagger (who, yes, folks, can still get it), which inspired an organic "Charlie" chant from the crowd, bringing smiles to Jagger, Richards, and the ever-mischievous Wood, who spent the evening shredding and stalking Jagger like a rock 'n' roll goblin.

Watts's seat currently belongs to Steve Jordan, who has worked with the Stones' since 1986's Dirty Work, a record Watts was largely absent in recording — and a record that is, uh, not very good, and followed some major band-related beefs. But Jordan did a remarkable job taking on some of the most famous songs in history with a restrained ferocity that made the evening feel whole, despite having, well, a massive hole.

The set, however, kicked off with a song that feels very Detroit: "Street Fighting Man."

There was catharsis, electricity, and a bit of weed in the air during the Stones' career-spanning 19-song, 130-minute set, which spared us of 2005's A Bigger Bang (thank you, gents) and denied us of "Ruby Tuesday," "Sweet Virginia," and "Beast of Burden." (It's fine, guys, really.)

Though the fan-voted "Wild Horses" made the cut, a song that is rightfully beloved, played during maybe one out of every 10 shows, it felt somewhat out of place on Monday for no other reason than it's a song that demands intimacy which is, like, very hard to contend with while in a football stadium. And 1966's "Paint it Black" made a jarring appearance as the oldest song of the set, tying with the band's ode to Motown, a cover of the Temptations "Ain't Too Proud To Beg," which they dusted off for the first time since 2007.

“We always loved Motown,” Jagger declared. “So we can’t come to Detroit and not do a Motown number.”

There was banter, as chameleon Jagger packed a handful of local references into a comedic bit, making a jab at the Detroit Lions and their glowing reputation as number one sucky team always (on their home turf, nonetheless, which the Stones' christened in 2002 and, again in 2006 to perform the Super Bowl XL halftime show). He added that he had gone fowling (he probably didn't), ate both American and Lafayette coney dogs to compare, and finished his early Detroit night with a Boston Cooler and an Advil. Oh, Jagger also asked where the audience hailed from, naming Michigan and Ohio cities only to pose a question that only Detroit could answer: "What up, doe?"

In a hit-packed set, the contest for the best musical moment is a tough one. You've got rousing classic tracks like "Start Me Up," Sympathy for the Devil," and "You Can't Always Get What You Want." But then there's more slinky tracks "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Miss You," on which bassist Darryl Jones shined.

But the most exciting moment came by way of 1969's "Midnight Rambler," which the band served with some special sauce, drawing out the Let It Bleed track for nearly 13-minutes (about six minutes longer than the recorded version). And then there was Sasha Allen, the Stones' backup singer who has been part of the touring band since 2016. Allen sliced through an encore performance of "Gimme Shelter," a song she and Jagger tag-teamed like a soul-filled tug-of-war. (Spoiler alert: Allen won.)

How do you end a Stones' concert? Especially one that felt like a true release and a possible kick-start to the new normal (though we totally understand that the pandemic is raging and "normal" means nothing, but we have to hold onto something, right? It might as well be rock 'n' roll.) If you're the Rolling Stones, you leave them wanting more: you end with "(I Cant' Get No) Satisfaction."

The No Filter Tour, a four-year international run interrupted by the pandemic, has not been, in any way, marketed as a farewell tour (something so many legends of the Stones' age group have decided to embark on as of late), but, with the passing of Watts, it's easy to let your mind go to morbid places. Like sharks, though, the Stones' have to keep moving — otherwise, well, we don't know what happens, because they've never stopped.

And if the half-assed firework display that finalized the show (no shade, but it was very anti-climatic and probably cost a fortune) and the jaded nature in which the audience seemed to pack up and bid the ancient rockers adieu, this wasn't a goodbye goodbye. This was simply an ellipsis tagged onto a lifetime of blood, sweat, tears, blow (like, lots of blow), and a legacy that rakes in an estimated $10 million a show. Plus, the Detroit show was proof that the Rolling Stones, though not at their quote-unquote "prime," they are having the absolute time of their lives, which makes seeing them at any age worth every penny.

[www.metrotimes.com]

Posted by: rstass ()
Date: November 16, 2021 22:20

maumau

listen to this MR

Yeah, this Rambler was fantastic ! The guitar solo from Ronnie was beautiful ! The best of this 2021 tour !

Posted by: Chitown23 ()
Date: November 16, 2021 23:38

The picture from the Stones page of the masked female fan with the KEEF sign is me!! Was on the rail last night on Keith's side.
I also said the same thing after Ghost Town. The song has never been played in Chicago!!
Looking forward to Hollywood, FL next week. Show #4 on this tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-16 23:44 by Chitown23.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 16, 2021 23:42

Nice going, Chitown23!

Did you have to have the sign rolled up to get it inside?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2021 23:43

Dougratajczak87
Hairball
...the vote winner not surprising, and Ain't Too Proud to Beg was a bit sluggish/anticlimactic...under-rehearsed...
Surely Midnight Rambler will be a highlight as always. thumbs up

I feel like the horns have the energy throughout, but Steve has had to slow down to keep better pace with the rest of the band.

You can hear it for example comparing Rocks Off in LA vs. Rocks Off in Las Vegas.

I think the band honestly just doesn't feel comfortable as a whole really letting loose on those faster paced numbers.

The L.A. > Vegas comparison is very noticeable...good thing this tour is near the end otherwise they'd by playing durge-like versions of some of their faster tunes.
Seems Steve Jordan might be too quick and young for them...sort of chomping at the bit trying to pick up the pace - another huge reason why Charlie is greatly missed.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 16, 2021 23:43

Chitown23
The picture from the Stones page of the masked female fan with the KEEF sign is me!! Was on the rail last night on Keith's side.

smileys with beer Nice shot!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 16, 2021 23:47

rstass
maumau

listen to this MR

Yeah, this Rambler was fantastic ! The guitar solo from Ronnie was beautiful ! The best of this 2021 tour !

thumbs up smileys with beer

Date: November 17, 2021 01:15

Keith taking us from the sublime to the ridiculous and back to the sublime in the same show, this is the Mother of train wreaks, Ronnie looks embarrassed or maybe confused by Keith's comments before Connection.

Connection starts about 8.30 in.
[m.youtube.com]

Edit.
I'd like to add that Keith more than makes up for it with a powerful extended Before They Make Me Run.hot smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 01:41 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 17, 2021 02:04

Some of the entourage are still there--Bernard, Darryl, Chuck and others just left after getting a tour of third Man Records and the Third Man Pressing Plant (reports my correspondent on the ground).

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 17, 2021 02:38

Rocktiludrop
Keith taking us from the sublime to the ridiculous and back to the sublime in the same show, this is the Mother of train wreaks, Ronnie looks embarrassed or maybe confused by Keith's comments before Connection.

[m.youtube.com]

Edit.
I'd like to add that Keith more than makes up for it with a powerful extended Before They Make Me Run.hot smiley

Where do you see that about Ronnie? He's not visible when Keith kicks off Connection and the camera goes black by the time he enters the shot

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 17, 2021 03:07

Mick said their first show in Detroit was in 1964. Then he said they stayed at a hotel where the building is now in the National Register of_Historic Places.

So I checked where they stayed back in 1964. Then I found this story, see below.

I can't really see the building being listed. Still, it's a great story!

The Rolling Stones stayed at this Detroit hotel in 1964. Now you can book the room.

The Rolling Stones, still a young, English band at the time in 1964, stayed at this Detroit hotel after a concert -- and now, you can book the exact room.

Trumbull and Porter, a boutique hotel in Detroit’s Corktown neighborhood, has opened their legendary “Rolling Stones” suite for public booking. Back in the 1960s, the hotel was a Holiday Inn.

Bjornulf

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 03:12 by bv.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 17, 2021 04:52

Another great show! So lucky to have made it to 3 this tour. And lovely to run into some rogues and scoundrels in Pit 1 I hadn’t seen for a while - you know who you are. The world looks different when you have a Stones show pending on the calendar, it’s a little bluer today but I’m keeping the faith for 2022.

Date: November 17, 2021 09:37

After hearing SFM and MR I would say the engine is now perfectly oiled.

Date: November 17, 2021 10:42

Justin
Rocktiludrop

[m.youtube.com]

Edit.

Where do you see that about Ronnie? He's not visible when Keith kicks off Connection and the camera goes black by the time he enters the shot

Can't you read body language ?, Ronnie is stone-faced throughout Connection.

It's not just that, Keith was strange, said ok let's get straight in, no f--ckng about after clearly not getting straight into it and f--king about confused smiley

It's no big deal, I'm just a trainspotter , pointing out that Keith's getting erratic and cranky, if anything it's funny.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 17, 2021 11:20

It's not funny anymore to me. Keith going onstage wearing this hat puts all of it in the twilight zone for me. What's the atmosphere backstage? Does nobody care about anything or are they surrounded by servile underlings who are too intimidated to point out anything to them?

Date: November 17, 2021 12:18

The hats are understandable, he's balding and feels the cold, ( but but the colours i hear you say !! The Prince of Darkness in a pink Beanie ).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-17 12:44 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 17, 2021 12:29

My god I'm not in a twist about it being pink. It is f*cking filthy, doesn't anyone see that?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2021 12:35

Keith's an avid reader ...

Maybe he's been following the life and
times of Aubrey the "Beanie Bandit" Broughill ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 17, 2021 12:42

Nikkei
My god I'm not in a twist about it being pink. It is f*cking filthy, doesn't anyone see that?

I think that was just the lighting, made it look two tone.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1148
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home