Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Detroit show live updates - Monday 15-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 16, 2021 10:34

The Stones boldly going where no band will ever be before smiling smiley

love Micks vocals on this one, and so cool the way Keith starts it.

Ain't To Proud Too Beg.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-16 10:38 by Rocktiludrop.

Re: Detroit show live updates - Monday 15-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 16, 2021 10:53

dnewton99
Hi all

Videos from tonight going up here - [www.youtube.com]

I was in Detroit tonight and show was great. Guitar work from Ronnie and Keith was excellent. Let me know what you hear that is different, better or not.. smiling smiley

not much can go wrong when you video tape, so thank you and congratulations to midimannz. lol

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 16, 2021 12:11

Rocktiludrop

Ain't To Proud Too Beg.
[m.youtube.com]

Karl filled in during Keith’s usual lead spot, nice overall version. How was his lead on YGMR this time? Saw it on the Hot Stuff page, spot on thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-16 12:17 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 16, 2021 13:13

Maindefender
Rocktiludrop

Ain't To Proud Too Beg.
[m.youtube.com]

Karl filled in during Keith’s usual lead spot, nice overall version. How was his lead on YGMR this time? Saw it on the Hot Stuff page, spot on thumbs up

Yeah i did wonder why Keith gave his solo up , sign of the times.

Detroit - Monday 15-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 16, 2021 13:21

We had a great night in Detroit @fordfield thank you for being such an amazing audience!

[twitter.com]

Date: November 16, 2021 13:22

Great to see Martha Reeves at the show last night!

Photo of Keith & Martha by: J. Bouquet

[twitter.com]

Date: November 16, 2021 13:29

What. A. Night. Thank you to The @RollingStones for an unforgettable show!

[twitter.com]

Date: November 16, 2021 13:41

The Rolling Stones honor Detroit with spirited show at Ford Field

Legendary rock band covered the Temptations and Mick Jagger talked coney dogs, the Detroit Lions and more during Monday night's show at Ford Field.

Adam Graham
November 16, 2021

Robin Buckson, Detroit News

Mick Jagger said "whatupdoe" — and possibly goodbye — to Detroit on Monday night at the Rolling Stones' energetic two-hour, 15-minute concert at Ford Field, which included a Motown cover, a shout out to the winless Detroit Lions and even a mention of downtown Detroit's warring coney establishments.

It was the Stones' first Detroit show since a July 2015 outing at Comerica Park, and obviously a lot has changed since then, both inside and outside the confines of the world's greatest living rock band.

The biggest change to the Stones came in August when Charlie Watts, the foursome's drummer since 1963, died at age 80. Are the Rolling Stones still the Rolling Stones without Watts? Well, they're a version of the Rolling Stones, but they'll never truly be whole again.

And Monday's show at Ford Field came under markedly different conditions than that comparatively carefree summer evening back in 2015. (Ah, remember 2015?) This was a Monday night, in 30 degree temperatures, a week after the time change, two days after the season's first snow and in the midst of a still-ongoing global pandemic. "Gimme Shelter" takes on a different meaning after a year spent in quarantine.

The Stones — and Jagger in particular — seemed to take all that into account Monday. They worked the crowd of 30,000-plus for the duration of the 19-song performance, which marked Ford Field's first concert since Garth Brooks played to 70,000 fans in February 2020, just three weeks before COVID-19 shut the world down. (There were no vaxx checks or mask requirements at Monday's concert.)

Though Keith Richards seemed to mentally come and go in and out of the show (just as his guitar seemed to magically switch on and off), Jagger was a nonstop source of energy and entertainment, a bouncing, strutting, preening figure with more pep in his step than a Peloton instructor. He's always been unbelievable to watch, but to be doing what he's doing at 78 years of age makes him nothing short of superhuman. (At least he wasn't trying to hide his chugs of water between songs, or his occasional nose blows.)

Jagger's so good he isn't even fair. Certainly not to the other members of the band, for any time spent looking at them is time you're not watching Jagger, and who knows what kind of hand-waving, finger-pointing, shoulder-shimmying, head-nodding move you may miss from him. He zooms around the stage like a 5-year-old buzzed up on sugar, dancing to his own rhythm and without a care in the world, brandishing a blazing sense of self-confidence more powerful than the sun. He's hands down the greatest rock and roll performer of all-time, and Bruce Springsteen will probably tell you the same thing. He's more than a force of nature; Mother Nature herself wishes she had moves like Jagger.

The Stones didn't waste any time paying tribute to Watts, opening Monday's show with images of the Stones' stickman on the stage's towering walls of video screens. A few songs into the , Jagger dedicated the concert to Watts, leading the crowd along in chants of "Char-lie! Char-lie!"

Touring drummer Steve Jordan filled in for Watts, part of an up-to-eight member backing band which included two backup singers, two sax players (including Michigan native Tim Ries) and a pair of keyboard men who rounded out the group's raw but muscular sound.

"Street Fighting Man" opened the greatest hits-heavy set, just as it has most of the current leg of the "No Filter" tour, which kicked off in late September and wraps next week. It was followed by the "Voodoo Lounge" cut "You Got Me Rocking" and 1966's "19th Nervous Breakdown."

Mentioning the band members' love of Motown — guitarist Ronnie Wood made a stop at the Motown Museum a day before the show — Jagger told the crowd, "we can't come to Detroit and not do a Motown number, right?" before launching into the Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," a song the band initially covered in 1974 and included on their album "It's Only Rock 'n Roll."

Jagger, who was in a chatty mood, gave out several shout-outs to Detroit and the surrounding cities, and told the crowd "whatupdoe!" before launching into a charged "Start Me Up." (Props to whomever schooled Mick in local colloquialisms prior to the show.)

He later talked about the group's nearly 60 years of playing in Detroit (21 concerts, by their count) and their own history inside Ford Field — they played the venue's first concert in 2002, and played a little gig at Super Bowl XL in 2006 — before going down a rabbit hole of Detroit references.

"Things are looking up for the Lions!" Jagger said, to a chorus of laughter from the crowd. "I mean, they tied the match!" (Referring to a football game as a "match" is honestly better than if he had just gotten it right, and any mention of Sunday's dismal tie to the Pittsburgh Steelers was bound to draw groans.)

To celebrate the Lions' tie, Jagger said he "rented a MoGo and went fowling" — MoGo is downtown's biking service, fowling is the native-to-Detroit combination of football and bowling — "and then, I got a bit hungry, so I wanted a coney, but I didn't know whether to go to the Lafayette or American. So I tried both! And I finished the night with a Boston Cooler, some Pepto Bismol and I went to bed early."

(Judging from a social media post that went up in the wee hours of Monday, it looks like Jagger actually tooled around downtown Detroit in the dead of night, posed for photos at several area landmarks and went to bed the opposite of early, but maybe he meant early for him.)

Richards' mid-show two-song set was a lull at a time when the show needed a pick-me-up — he cracked a "it's good to be here, it's good to be anywhere" joke for what must be the 7,000,000th time of his career — but things came roaring back with "Miss You" and "Midnight Rambler," the latter of which was stretched out to 10-plus minutes, built up then broken down to its bones and built up to a big ol' fire once again.

From there it was all fastballs — "Paint it Black," "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" to close the set, "Gimme Shelter" and "Satisfaction" for the closer — and the band members took a bow at center stage to close out the evening as fireworks popped off on either side of the stage.

Throughout the night, Jagger showed he's not only the glue that holds everything together, he's the oil that keeps the machine running. If there's no Jagger, there's no any of this. And for a long time, it was thought that without the four of them together, there was no any of this. So how long do they keep going from here? How long can they keep going from here? And is anyone taking bets against Jagger's ability to do this as long as he wants?

No one is saying that Monday night is the end of the Rolling Stones in Detroit, and there's a lot of money to be made from farewell tours, and the Rolling Stones aren't exactly known for leaving money on the table. But if Monday winds up being the end, it was a sweet goodbye and a happy farewell, a charming evening even given the rough conditions under which it unfolded. And goodbyes don't always get to be on mutual terms. Like the song says, you can't always get what you want.

You get what you need.

[www.detroitnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-16 14:09 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 16, 2021 13:50

Gimme Shelter - intro, a not so sober Keith is lost, Mick is worried looking around - "is he doing allright back there, where is he?" Sad. I don´t like it. The energy from the first great shows is gone. That´s how I see it. I hope I´m wrong.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 16, 2021 14:05

cowboytoast
I've noticed that when Keith starts off a song a little slow that Steve picks the tempo up as soon as the band jumps in - most noticeably on Jumpin Jack Flash tonight (from the clips I saw)

Yea it's a bit of a shame. I loved how Charlie would follow Keith which meant sometimes we got slower and sometimes faster versions depending on what mood Keith was in. smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 16, 2021 14:22

Bjorn
Gimme Shelter - intro, a not so sober Keith is lost, Mick is worried looking around - "is he doing allright back there, where is he?" Sad. I don´t like it. The energy from the first great shows is gone. That´s how I see it. I hope I´m wrong.

Looked sober as a judge to me.. Man, tough crowd.
Seemed to be a few out of position at the start.. but no "sad" or diminished energy detected.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 16, 2021 14:32

Keith on "Ain`t to Proud To Beg"? -Couldn`t see he took much part. Mick was really working at this performance.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 16, 2021 15:06

So Martha Reeves didn’t turn up on stage? Bit anticlimactic isn’t it?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 16, 2021 15:17

RisingStone
Why? Isn't she allowed to just privately visit a concert of some friends?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 16, 2021 15:24

I'm not inclined to further discuss Keiths headwear but wtf

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: November 16, 2021 15:27

Aint Too Proud to Beg!!!

What a Motown gift to cap off my 50th!!

Loved it!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 16, 2021 15:36

StonedRambler
RisingStone
Why? Isn't she allowed to just privately visit a concert of some friends?

Probably...with hindsight. But I assume a number of people looked forward to her guest appearance on stage when the info was around a few days ago. I did.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: November 16, 2021 15:42

Yes, Jagger is incredible, but there was a lot of love for Keith last night at Ford Field. He spent some time on the catwalk after he was introduced, and just soaked it all in to thunderous applause. An emotional moment followed (after Connection) by a forceful, extended version of Before They Make Me Run. Yes, the tail lights are fading but there are still moments of pure rock and roll which still make it all worthwhile.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: November 16, 2021 16:04

Not only is it a miracle these guys have nearly completed this tour, they have done it with no Covid cancellations while under the strain of a tight bubble. I wasn’t in Detroit but saw 3 shows and I couldn’t be happier that they did it. Many here doubted them and said it would never happen.

I am in awe. This tour was special.

Posted by: StonesFan35 ()
Date: November 16, 2021 16:09

Here's the full concert via DJ Gerry on YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 16, 2021 16:29

Nikkei

That's all you got...confused smiley

Date: November 16, 2021 16:31

UGot2Rollme
Yes, Jagger is incredible, but there was a lot of love for Keith last night at Ford Field. He spent some time on the catwalk after he was introduced, and just soaked it all in to thunderous applause. An emotional moment followed (after Connection) by a forceful, extended version of Before They Make Me Run. Yes, the tail lights are fading but there are still moments of pure rock and roll which still make it all worthwhile.

Well said!! Slipping Away.........

Posted by: rattler2004 ()

UGot2Rollme

I know how common it is to have your opinion informed by recency bias; however, last night’s show was the best I’d see them since 1981. No hyperbole, they were on fire…yes there was a hiccup here and there, on were Keith mad a face and looked to be apologizing to the band…but that stuff happens.

It must’ve been my seats, but the sound was great. Ronnie seemed a bit loud, Sasha sounded very low in the mix for Gimmie Shelter…and Steve was really powerful in the mix…overall though no one overpowered anyone else. To say the band has a new energy is in no way disrespectful to Charlie in any way. The engine of the band has been replaced…time waits for no one…Steve did and incredible job filling in for some legendary shoes without mimicking him or straying too far from the songs, and he still came across with his own identity. Not as a flashlight player, but a song driving and supportive one. Takes an incredibly talented musician and humble person to step into that role with that type of understanding.

A few songs got stretched out last night that I wasn’t expecting. I don’t know if they’d been doing that all tour. The band seemed to really enjoy themselves playing in Detroit. We were all, dazzled at the end of the show.

For one member of our party, it was his first Stones show. He marveled at how good the band was, the physical shape of Mick, and how his attention was captivated.

He summed the night up the best of all, “I didn’t want it to end.”

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Maindefender
Nikkei

That's all you got...confused smiley

What I'm trying to say is there shouldn't be anything new to say about it

Date: November 16, 2021 16:40

I suppose you could use your hat to mop up some spilled coffee but it's bewildering if you'd put it back on afterwards

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: November 16, 2021 16:54

rattler2004
UGot2Rollme

I know how common it is to have your opinion informed by recency bias; however, last night’s show was the best I’d see them since 1981. No hyperbole, they were on fire…yes there was a hiccup here and there, on were Keith mad a face and looked to be apologizing to the band…but that stuff happens.

It must’ve been my seats, but the sound was great. Ronnie seemed a bit loud, Sasha sounded very low in the mix for Gimmie Shelter…and Steve was really powerful in the mix…overall though no one overpowered anyone else. To say the band has a new energy is in no way disrespectful to Charlie in any way. The engine of the band has been replaced…time waits for no one…Steve did and incredible job filling in for some legendary shoes without mimicking him or straying too far from the songs, and he still came across with his own identity. Not as a flashlight player, but a song driving and supportive one. Takes an incredibly talented musician and humble person to step into that role with that type of understanding.

A few songs got stretched out last night that I wasn’t expecting. I don’t know if they’d been doing that all tour. The band seemed to really enjoy themselves playing in Detroit. We were all, dazzled at the end of the show.

For one member of our party, it was his first Stones show. He marveled at how good the band was, the physical shape of Mick, and how his attention was captivated.

He summed the night up the best of all, “I didn’t want it to end.”

Yes, overall it was a superb show. My 17th gig dating back to Philly '78. Charlie was particularly missed on some numbers but Steve Jordan is a fine replacement. Where I was, Sasha was perfect in the mix and her interplay with Mick and vocals on Shelter was one of the best moments last night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-16 16:58 by UGot2Rollme.

Date: November 16, 2021 17:18

Paint it black is now better than at the beginning of the tour.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: November 16, 2021 17:24

Superb show, Jagger, guitars, Jordan-hitting on all cylinders-to borrow a Motown saying. Keith was never more on, no mistakes or off sounds from guitar as heard at earlier shows. Ronnie looked healthier and was having as much fun as ever. Rambler was worth the price of admission by itself. And then throw in outstanding HTW plus a whole awesome set list. Pit B really came to life with Miss You and danced through the end of the show.

I said to my wife I liked all the song vote choices but would put Wild Horses at the bottom. She reminded me WH was our wedding song and two other parties within gear shot said WH was also their wedding song. I got responses from twelve people when asking if it was their first show. 10 said yes. Many 3 generation family groups attending, first show ever for one such group. So much dancing during MR and I assume most never heard it before.

A chatty Mick said after Ghost Town that Detroit sang much better than Chicago..GT has not been played in Chicago. Great show, great band, better than ever.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: November 16, 2021 17:29

100% agree

jumpingjackflash5
Paint it black is now better than at the beginning of the tour.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: November 16, 2021 17:31

Ronnie & Keith were so on fire.. whole show was great but agree Rambler was amazing

2120Joe
Superb show, Jagger, guitars, Jordan-hitting on all cylinders-to borrow a Motown saying. Keith was never more on, no mistakes or off sounds from guitar as heard at earlier shows. Ronnie looked healthier and was having as much fun as ever. Rambler was worth the price of admission by itself. And then throw in outstanding HTW plus a whole awesome set list. Pit B really came to life with Miss You and danced through the end of the show.

I said to my wife I liked all the song vote choices but would put Wild Horses at the bottom. She reminded me WH was our wedding song and two other parties within gear shot said WH was also their wedding song. I got responses from twelve people when asking if it was their first show. 10 said yes. Many 3 generation family groups attending, first show ever for one such group. So much dancing during MR and I assume most never heard it before.

A chatty Mick said after Ghost Town that Detroit sang much better than Chicago..GT has not been played in Chicago. Great show, great band, better than ever.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home