Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hyde Park 1969 - No Expectations
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 12, 2021 17:16

I know Jagger's voice was off on this great day, but this song is one of the best from the day!
Incredibly not on the usual VHS ! BUT youtube it...out of tune of course but a real treat.

Here it is..edit

[youtu.be]

Re: Hyde Park 1969 - No Expectations
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 13, 2021 13:52

I was hoping they would add to the recent "From The Vault" and found it a bummer that they didn't.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: November 13, 2021 14:04

I have always liked this show. I have a half-dozen copies of it on LP and CD.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 13, 2021 19:00

MILKYWAY

Me too! The purity of five members adding to the new sound without any restrictions on the arangements of the songs is as naked the Stones will ever sound. Totally stripped down and exploring new songs and ways to play them. One gets the insight of maybe the most interesting part of the bands history evolving into a form we had never heard before. Next time they played it was much more safe and arranged. This show is unique. As you mention there are many boots, and I remember one I have, which is from a radio program and there is some guy talking over the middel part (jam) on Rambler. He says something like: there are many good takes on this song from '69-73, but none comes close to the Hyde Park version. There are times were the guitars are out of tune and it's maybe not Jaggers best vocals on all the songs, but some of the songs from this concert is absolute amazing! No Expectations, Love in Vain, HTW, Rambler, I'm Free, and Down Home Girl have a special feel that we've never heard since. It's definitely a undrerated show!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 14, 2021 10:09

A very nice song with the last notable work of Brian Jones in the studio. Mick Taylor plays a nice solo, but the out of tune guitars are unbearable.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: November 14, 2021 13:40

Thanks for posting the video, Eleanor Rigby.

I'm still waiting for a DVD with the full concert.
Of course they had not their best day after all that trouble that happened
in those days and their long stage absence.
But it's an important piece of their history I think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-14 13:41 by Phil Good.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 14, 2021 14:09

I recall Mick Taylor once saying that "No Expectations" is his favourite Stones song. And no matter how interesting the Hyde Park version is, it is still a bit sad that it turned to be Taylor's only version with the Stones. So much potential there.

But the version in Rock'n'Roll Circus - that's pure magic. Played pretty closely to the original arrangement with Brian's fragile but efficient slide, but in a different key, Mick singing much higher - that adds some strange edge and dramatics. The best live version by far in my book.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-14 14:10 by Doxa.

Date: November 14, 2021 14:31

S.T.P
MILKYWAY

Me too! The purity of five members adding to the new sound without any restrictions on the arangements of the songs is as naked the Stones will ever sound. Totally stripped down and exploring new songs and ways to play them. One gets the insight of maybe the most interesting part of the bands history evolving into a form we had never heard before. Next time they played it was much more safe and arranged. This show is unique. As you mention there are many boots, and I remember one I have, which is from a radio program and there is some guy talking over the middel part (jam) on Rambler. He says something like: there are many good takes on this song from '69-73, but none comes close to the Hyde Park version. There are times were the guitars are out of tune and it's maybe not Jaggers best vocals on all the songs, but some of the songs from this concert is absolute amazing! No Expectations, Love in Vain, HTW, Rambler, I'm Free, and Down Home Girl have a special feel that we've never heard since. It's definitely a undrerated show!

A great post! While there obviously are some problems there - out of tune guitars, Mick's ill throat, under-rehearsed band not in a sync, etc - it really captures an unique moment in their history. That sort of wildness in arrangements, rawness in about everything, there is so much raw power and pure dareless inspiration with determinated will power there that it still sounds impressive. Listening some cuts like "Stray Cat Blues", "Rambler", "Jumpin' Jack Flash" (with Charlie's crazy hippie drumming), even "Satisfaction" - I wonder have the Stones ever sounded so dangerous, aggressive, and threatening? Sometimes I miss that very sound achieved that day. They were so polished in American Tour half a year later during which they mastered the new 'greatest rock&roll band of the world' sound. Something was lost in the process, like always happen..

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-14 14:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 14, 2021 15:26

Doxa
And no matter how interesting the Hyde Park version is, it is still a bit sad that it turned to be Taylor's only version with the Stones. So much potential there.

But then there's also Los Angeles 1973

Date: November 14, 2021 15:38

Erik_Snow
Doxa
And no matter how interesting the Hyde Park version is, it is still a bit sad that it turned to be Taylor's only version with the Stones. So much potential there.

But then there's also Los Angeles 1973

Oh yeah! I totally forgot that one (the age doesn't come alone..) . Thanks for the correction!

- Doxa

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 14, 2021 16:21

Btw.
I have that LA 73 gig on tape and vinyl boots since the 80s.Has there ever been a better source?
I don't think they recorded the show. But wonder whether at least a sb tape exists.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 14, 2021 22:10

lurv the innocence of RnR Circus version .... feeling their way ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 14, 2021 22:24

I love the LA '73 No Expectations!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 15, 2021 18:24

exilestones
I love the LA '73 No Expectations!

[www.youtube.com]

Oh yes, a better rendition, Keith's phrasing is very interesting and musically far above the Hyde Park performance. Mick Taylor is his majesty as usual.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 15, 2021 18:28

RobertJohnson
Oh yes, a better rendition, Keith's phrasing is very interesting and musically far above the Hyde Park performance. Mick Taylor is his majesty as usual.

Yes, I agree, way better than Hyde Park, but I agree with Rockman; Rock'n Roll Cirkus is *the* No Expectations, and always have been; for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home