Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Atlanta show live updates - Thursday 11-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 12, 2021 23:16

After watching all the footage i can find from last night, man of the match award goes to Ronnie, it's just thrilling to see and hear him play so energetically after all he's been through, what a trouper God bless him, i think he's weaving really well with Keith this tour, they are almost like one guitar. Lovin it, long may they continue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-12 23:27 by Rocktiludrop.

Re: Atlanta show live updates - Thursday 11-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 12, 2021 23:33

Considering some of the stuff
thats been goin down like loosing
Charlie ...Covid shit and their age
I'd say they are doing mighty fine .....

Heck i know a heap of guys half their age
who have ta sit down after they get a beer from the fridge .... HHHHAAAA

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 12, 2021 23:42

Rockman
Considering some of the stuff
thats been goin down like loosing
Charlie ...Covid shit and their age
I'd say they are doing mighty fine .....

Heck i know a heap of guys half their age
who have ta sit down after they get a beer from the fridge
.... HHHHAAAA

It's all relative - after the 50th beer it is quite normal, but after the 1st it is indeed quite worrisome...

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 13, 2021 00:04

Still a great live rock band no doubt!

Quite a catalog of songs to pull from.

Date: November 13, 2021 00:15

Anyone notice since show 8 the vibe has changed, was it Tampa when Keith @#$%& up SSS, i wonder what happened, they were all loving it, it's like they peaked to soon.

SLIPPING AWAY
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-13 00:19 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 13, 2021 00:19

Maybe its just me but Ronnie
seems to look healthier with every show ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 13, 2021 00:38

Rockman

Defiantly, he wasn't ready i don't think at the start of the tour but playing with the Stones is his best medicine.
He's doing great now.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: November 13, 2021 00:56

irishjohnnie
micwer
...The songs are a bit faster, and the band has responded with more energy. Mick has been absolutely incredible! From the end of the catwalk, after the second solo in HTW he sprints back to the stage. At the end of Satisfaction he skips all the way back!
I think you have to give strong consideration to the fact that Mick's fitness level is in the class of the world's most elite athletes. That's a 2 hour aerobic and dance workout he's doing. And it's nothing short of a phenomenal performance! He's the greatest front man in history, and he proves it every night.

Yes, Mick Jagger is in fact unreachable. What he is doing and how he us doing it is unbelievable. Of course, he has the band behind him and he knows it in every second. What a band! After all these years still obe of the world top acts.

The greatest Rock'n Roll band in the world seems not to be exagerated.

Greatest rock n roll band that's ever existed, fronted by the greatest frontman who ever has or ever will exist. I think we all agree the Stones and Mick have those two superlatives locked up.

Here's a thought, though. I think I can make an argument that goes well beyond that. I.e., that Michael Philip Jagger has achieved the level of the greatest creator-performer of popular music of any genre, as best as such a thing can be discerned, anyway.

There are many technically superior vocalists and musicians, of course. But I'm proposing to take into account the totality of his accomplishments. The quality, popularity, quantity, and influence of the music he, with the rest of the band, has recorded, both the interpretations of music written by others, and of course the music under the Jagger-Richards imprimatur. And, very importantly, their live performance of all that great music as well. Mick has been such an enthralling performer, forever.

We rightfully heap praise on each individual band member for their essential roles in the Rolling Stones' incredible sound. But had that skinny English white kid not long ago figured out that the hook his vocals needed was to sound like an older, black, American bluesman, they could never have possibly become what they have. Of all the distinctive components essential to the band's sound, I suspect the Jagger vocals may have been the most critical. (Tho I'm sure I'll hear different opinions about that one.)

Mick Jagger wasn't alone in having twigged this vocal direction out. Van Morrison, Joe Cocker, Rod Stewart, Tom Waits, and others... Janis did a female version... found and mined this same vein successfully, too. It was full of gold. But Mick combined his old bluesman's voice best with signature movements... dancing... onstage, and even in the vocals alone I feel he, among the rock singers, accomplished the absolute most with the sound. There are 500(?) Rolling Stones songs and yet, IMO, only a few that aren't at least a little bit fascinating if only for the vocals.

Very important, too, of course, is just the extent of the Rolling Stones' musical legacy, that only the band's amazing duration could impart.

Competition for this rather sweeping category I describe is limited -- unfairly, of course -- to 20th and 21st Century performers, simply because before the advent of recorded music and radio no performer could be heard by remotely as many listeners. Truly global reach... in pretty much any field... is a relatively new thing.

But try -- seriously, try -- to come up with a greater popular music creator-performer, taking the whole spectrum of what that entails into account. Here's my stab at a short list of competitors:
* Musical theater has had big hit songs, stars, and celebrated showtune songwriters, but the reach of their popularity has limits.
* None of the great bluesmen ever got to enjoy the level of popular success and acclaim they deserved.
* Sinatra had massive popularity and influence, and the career longevity, but was interpreting the music of others.
* Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Little Richards and other black founding rockers experienced success, but never Stones-scale.
* Elvis never wrote an original song (despite being credited with them), died in middle age, and I'd argue had made nearly all of his worthwhile contributions to rock n roll in his 20s.
* The Beatles were done in 1970 and had stopped performing live years before that; Lennon was killed in 1980, and McCartney's post-Beatles catalog isn't really stellar.
* Dylan's performances can be a drag. And up against Mick? No contest.
* Springsteen? I'm a Bruce guy, too. But the best songwriting teams outperform even the greatest of go-it-alone songwriters.
* The "King of Pop"? No way.

This relative "greatness" business is very subjective, and highly dependent on the criteria chosen. So, we can debate if I've stacked the deck here for our guy. But it does make sense, to me anyway, to take into account the whole spectrum of what it can entail to be a creator-performer of popular music.

Music history (and certainly not us on IORR) will determine who, all told, surpassed all others in this field.

But, again, who, living or dead, really can rank above Mick Jagger?

_______

(This got longer than I intended. Tangented far beyond Atlanta 11-11-2021. I'll save it, maybe make it it's own thread at some point, for a good and proper hashing out.)

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: November 13, 2021 01:02

On this tour they are a credit to themselves, to past members and to rock n' roll itself. Absolutely sublime and awe-inspiring.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: November 13, 2021 01:05

Rockman
I agree. He looks vastly better than he did at the first show in St. Louis. Hope he’s feeling as well as he’s looking.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 13, 2021 01:06

Thrilled they added two "new"/as of yet unplayed tunes to the cumulative setlist for this leg. Aside from Vegas, every other show they've added something unique that had yet to be played making for some exciting shows. There's still a glimmer of hope for No Expectations...Live With Me....Worried About You...or even something competely out of the blue...for instance would love to hear Time is On My Side this tour...
No matter though, it's been a great tour. Charlie is missed, but Steve Jordan has been more than adequate. Still a few shows to go, and will follow along the rest of the way...thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-13 01:11 by Hairball.

Date: November 13, 2021 01:44

Rocktiludrop
After watching all the footage i can find from last night, man of the match award goes to Ronnie, it's just thrilling to see and hear him play so energetically after all he's been through, what a trouper God bless him, i think he's weaving really well with Keith this tour, they are almost like one guitar. Lovin it, long may they continue.

Rockman

Defiantly, he wasn't ready i don't think at the start of the tour but playing with the Stones is his best medicine.
He's doing great now.

Ronnie has been like Samson all tour, growing stronger with ever millimeter of new Rooster Hair

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: November 13, 2021 01:49

The last five songs make the best ending of any tour I have seen.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-13 03:11 by tonyc.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 13, 2021 02:38

Rocktiludrop
Rockman

He's doing great now.

I noticed this too.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 13, 2021 02:42

BluesHadaBaby, that was a good assessment of Mick up there, enjoyable to read.

Of course, you know that many of us here are already converted to that pov.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 13, 2021 03:28

What was that crazy loud feedback/wrong chord on Tumbling Dice?

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: November 13, 2021 04:13

TheBluesHadaBaby
Rocktiludrop

Rockman

He's doing great now.

Ronnie has been like Samson all tour, growing stronger with ever millimeter of new Rooster Hair
If Ronnie gets any more evil on Rambler, he's gonna grow horns and a tail!

Date: November 13, 2021 05:58

Slipping Away, Nov. 11:
[m.youtube.com]

From what I've seen, Slipping Away has come to mean a tremendous amount to Keith this tour.

It means Stu, Bobby Keys, Charlie, others. It means even the surviving Stones themselves. The tour is a short surge of rock n roll raging against the dying of the light. But Slipping Away is the moment where he pauses and acknowledges that the darkness is gaining ground fast, taking dear friends and people's loved ones.

Keith's a softie, really. I believe I read where at the Foxborough warm-up show it was Keith who had difficulty coming back out on stage to give their final bow... of just the three of them, without Charlie.

Performing, he does have the luxury of being able to wear his heart on his sleeve during one or both of his songs. That's something Mick can't afford to do, having to sing 17 songs for almost 2 hours, even if he wanted to.

I think it's taking a lot for Keith to perform Slipping Away this tour, on those nights he's chosen to grace us with it. That really hit me Oct. 9 watching it from the Pit in Nashville. It looked and sounded very heartfelt. While a relatively small song, it was poignant and powerful.

Keith takes a break backstage after his mini-set and sits out part of Miss You. Feels like longer breaks when his 2nd song is Slipping Away, but I can't say for sure. When he came back out in Nashville he was smoking.

Long warm-up there, to now ask folks to re-watch his Atlanta Slipping Away. In the linked video, at 2:29, most of the way through the song, after just strolling back to the drums, then to Ronnie and a little guitar solo, do we think Keith might be quickly brushing away a tear?

That would certainly fit my perception of Keith, and that song, on this tour. (The last few shows he also hasn't seemed quite as cheery as earlier in the tour.)

At 2:29 his finger went quickly straight to the corner of his left eye. I agree that he could have been swiping at sweat. But, he was playing; in the moment, how much would he care about a bead of sweat? Whereas a tear getting loose on his face would be a different matter. (And, we humans did evolve brow ridges and eyebrows that do pretty good jobs of routing our head sweat around our eyes. Unless we're sweating buckets.)

Those who were there, in particular, and close enough to see: Any recollections of or thoughts on this little moment?

Date: November 13, 2021 08:50

TheBluesHadaBaby
Slipping Away, Nov. 11:
[m.youtube.com]

From what I've seen, Slipping Away has come to mean a tremendous amount to Keith this tour.

It means Stu, Bobby Keys, Charlie, others. It means even the surviving Stones themselves. The tour is a short surge of rock n roll raging against the dying of the light. But Slipping Away is the moment where he pauses and acknowledges that the darkness is gaining ground fast, taking dear friends and people's loved ones.

Keith's a softie, really. I believe I read where at the Foxborough warm-up show it was Keith who had difficulty coming back out on stage to give their final bow... of just the three of them, without Charlie.

Performing, he does have the luxury of being able to wear his heart on his sleeve during one or both of his songs. That's something Mick can't afford to do, having to sing 17 songs for almost 2 hours, even if he wanted to.

I think it's taking a lot for Keith to perform Slipping Away this tour, on those nights he's chosen to grace us with it. That really hit me Oct. 9 watching it from the Pit in Nashville. It looked and sounded very heartfelt. While a relatively small song, it was poignant and powerful.

Keith takes a break backstage after his mini-set and sits out part of Miss You. Feels like longer breaks when his 2nd song is Slipping Away, but I can't say for sure. When he came back out in Nashville he was smoking.

Long warm-up there, to now ask folks to re-watch his Atlanta Slipping Away. In the linked video, at 2:29, most of the way through the song, after just strolling back to the drums, then to Ronnie and a little guitar solo, do we think Keith might be quickly brushing away a tear?

That would certainly fit my perception of Keith, and that song, on this tour. (The last few shows he also hasn't seemed quite as cheery as earlier in the tour.)

At 2:29 his finger went quickly straight to the corner of his left eye. I agree that he could have been swiping at sweat. But, he was playing; in the moment, how much would he care about a bead of sweat? Whereas a tear getting loose on his face would be a different matter. (And, we humans did evolve brow ridges and eyebrows that do pretty good jobs of routing our head sweat around our eyes. Unless we're sweating buckets.)

Those who were there, in particular, and close enough to see: Any recollections of or thoughts on this little moment?

I also pick up a sadness in the air in the last few shows, who knows, these could be the last concerts they play, there could be news between the band we are not aware of, personally i see Keith as a completely different man on stage since Tampa, perhaps he is carrying some sort of injury or is not well, self medicate issues, it's anyone's guess but he keeps delivering the goods as best he can.
I think something's up.

Date: November 13, 2021 12:40

Good characteristics. A surge of rock'n'roll (great rock'n'roll) raging against the dying of the light.
I hope this surge won't be that short.
They are playing very well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-13 12:44 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: November 13, 2021 16:27

So far we have learned recently on this thread that 1) Ronnie is getting healthier 2) Keith is getting sicker 3) Mick blows his nose a lot and 4) they are now sad. Can someone please tell us if Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone or not.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 13, 2021 17:19

keefmick
So far we have learned recently on this thread that 1) Ronnie is getting healthier 2) Keith is getting sicker 3) Mick blows his nose a lot and 4) they are now sad. Can someone please tell us if Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone or not.

Most problems never happen. Ronnie is doing great. Keith is resting his legs a bit some times for half a minute. Mick is blowing his nose some times. I do all these things myself as well, at times, but I don't need a doctor. I think they are doing great, especially taking into account their age, all the travel, and what stage we are in the tour now. In 12 days we will all be at home, and another great tour is over. It is called being homesick.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: November 13, 2021 17:35

What was up with the delay before the start to "Tumbling Dice"?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 13, 2021 18:58

Sitting here with a big smile on my face - best Shattered since 1982? Mick is sooo confident! And it´s the FIRST Shattered this tour! smiling smiley

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 13, 2021 18:59

keefmick

well, beside the fact that lee harvey oswald probably didn't act at all,
every stones concert is some kind of miracle. I have no idea where they take
all the energy from. especially mick, but even keith is kinda surprising.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-13 18:59 by falo01.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 13, 2021 18:59

Had a great time at the show (as always)! About 30 of us went together. Didn't get Pit on lucky dip, but still a pretty good seat.

Zak Brown Band was very good. Nice covers of "Devil Went Down to Georgia " and "Bohemian Rhapsody"!!! No joke - they did a good job, too. Mrs. Elmo loves that song. Of course, "Chicken Fried", "Toes", etc. Will try to catch them as headliners sometime.

Stones:

Came on a little later than usual. Great surprises of "Shattered" and "Rainbow". "Connection", too. Ronnie seemed lost during "Dice" - maybe one fret off? His slide work (dobro?) on "Rainbow" started shaky and got better. He was excellent from there on in. Keith looked tired on occasion, but lots of smiles and energy at the end. Mick - a wonder of nature, amazing! Sasha did a nice job on "Shelter" and is a real looker, too. The sidemen all did their usual professional work.

Met some great people, especially "The Professor" from Stones Doug's site.

I feel truly blessed to have been able to go see the Stones for the past 40 years.

Date: November 14, 2021 00:22

drwatts
TheBluesHadaBaby
Rocktiludrop

Rockman

He's doing great now.

If Ronnie gets any more evil on Rambler, he's gonna grow horns and a tail!

Brings to mind Ronnies ex girlfriend Ekaterina used to call him the evil goblin king grinning smiley

Re: Atlanta - Thursday 11-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: November 14, 2021 00:38

Love the Braves jerseys, and I'm a Yankees fan!

Re: Atlanta - Thursday 11-Nov-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 14, 2021 01:09

Damn, they look good.

The Rolling Stones-

Rockin’ ATL!

Photo: J. Bouquet

[twitter.com]

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: November 14, 2021 18:53

I’m 40 years younger than Mick and Keith and I’m always pretty tired and sore after just being an active spectator at their shows. Can you imagine how they feel after playing, singing, and in Mick’s case dancing and running for two hours under the stage lights?! They’ve been in and out of planes and hotels for over two months and going back and forth through some pretty extreme climates. All things considered, I think they’re doing very, very well. Gold rings on ‘em cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home