Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The most Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame thing they could do...
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 8, 2021 19:15

was cut the Charlie Watts tribute to end the show but induct Jay Z and LL Cool J.

What an incompetent organization.

[q1043.iheart.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-08 19:16 by RollingFreak.

Re: The most Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame thing they could do...
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 8, 2021 19:36

Clueless.

The year they ended the show with Ian Hunter singing "All The Young Dudes" was also pretty galling.

Mott the Hoople and/or Ian Hunter solo have yet to be inducted as HoF members.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 8, 2021 19:41

The RRHoF has become pretty woke it seems so there's no time for remembering old white men

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 8, 2021 19:55

NilsHolgersson
The RRHoF has become pretty woke it seems so there's no time for remembering old white men

oh come on they've been celebrating and remembering old white men for 30 years and they'll keep remembering them for decades to come

that being said its inexusable and very f-cked up that they didn't honor charlie a man who had no small part in creating and sustaining the music they supposedly honour and celebrate

i certainly hope there held to task for this bullsh-t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-08 19:58 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 8, 2021 20:06

The best thing one could do is stop treating this laughingstock as an institution. Charlie is an institution

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 8, 2021 20:52

Nikkei
The best thing one could do is stop treating this laughingstock as an institution. Charlie is an institution

thumbs up

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 8, 2021 21:37

Nikkei

Right. The Hall is honored by having Charlie as a member.

Back in 1988 I can think of seeing the then-new Bob Dylan album Down In The Groove in a record store bin. There was an additional sticker from Columbia that was attached that said "ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME MEMBER!" which I guess was put there as some added incentive to buy the album.

AS IF Bob Dylan needed anyone's validation. RRHoF can't honor or elevate the work and career of Bob Dylan. If anything, Dylan's membership functioned to give credibility to them at the time.

I can only imagine the conversation among the marketing geniuses that cut the Charlie segment. A room full of Fred Willard-type characters....

Date: November 8, 2021 21:44

loog droog
I can only imagine the conversation among the marketing geniuses that cut the Charlie segment. A room full of Fred Willard-type characters....

Come on, now... Fred Willard surely would have honored Charlie in some way.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 8, 2021 21:56

loog droog
Nikkei

Right. The Hall is honored by having Charlie as a member.

Back in 1988 I can think of seeing the then-new Bob Dylan album Down In The Groove in a record store bin. There was an additional sticker from Columbia that was attached that said "ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME MEMBER!" which I guess was put there as some added incentive to buy the album.

AS IF Bob Dylan needed anyone's validation. RRHoF can't honor or elevate the work and career of Bob Dylan. If anything, Dylan's membership functioned to give credibility to them at the time.

1988 was only the third year of the Hall. It was still heavy hitters being induced. The Beatles, Dylan. The problem now is they've pretty much ran out of rock and rollers that matter. Actually they did a long time ago, but they have a contract with HBO, and something has to fill that time. Hell, I can think of a lot of inductees worse than non-inductee Jethro Tull. How about Ten Years After? J. Geils Band? They all have a lot more to do with rock and roll than a lot of inductees.

Date: November 8, 2021 22:29

Ignorance, dumbness, incompetence.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 8, 2021 23:37

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
loog droog

Reminds me of something David Lee Roth said years ago about critics not liking Van Halen, something like "critics prefer people like Elvis Costello because they all look like Elvis Costello."

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 9, 2021 00:04

kovach
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
loog droog

Reminds me of something David Lee Roth said years ago about critics not liking Van Halen, something like "critics prefer people like Elvis Costello because they all look like Elvis Costello."
Dave's an ass most of the time but I've never heard that comment and its a great one. Props to Dave. And @#$%& the Hall.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 9, 2021 00:25

I stopped watching and paying attention to awards shows of any kind years ago. The R&R Hall of Fame, considering who they've honored/added over the years, reminds me of a line from the late Groucho Marx: "I wouldn't be a member of any organization that would have me as a member."

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 9, 2021 01:45

New York magazine piece on this:

[www.vulture.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 9, 2021 03:10

What boo-shee on the part of the R&R Hall regarding cutting the tribute number to Charlie due to time.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 9, 2021 14:09

Would be to shut it down and sell off the goods

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: November 9, 2021 16:26

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is a disgrace for many, many omissions and slights through the years.

I can proudly say they have never received a nickel of my money and I actively bash them at any possible time. Have swayed many folks in my circle to avoid them. About all a regular Joe can do.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 9, 2021 17:13

While there is always some crossover of musical genres, The RRHOF seems to have forgotten R&R. Forget the rappers, pop divas, etc.

J. Geils not being in there is enough to discredit it right there. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: November 9, 2021 18:47

I've never seen an induction ceremony from start to finish so I'm not sure if they have a host spending lots of air time making jokes and whatnot, but if that's the case, it reminds me of the Oscars when so much of the monologue or jokes in between giving out awards should be cut back so the non-celebrities that win an award for best make up or whatever can have a little more than 15 seconds to have their special moment before they get cut off by the orchestra so Brad Pitt can have his 5 minutes later in the broadcast.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 10, 2021 20:45

I just watch the performances, and forget the other b.s. I've got ten or more RRHOF DVDs I watch from time to time. Some great performances. And if you don't like one, fast forward to the next.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1233
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home