Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: 10 Dead at Astroworld Festival in Houston
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 6, 2021 14:17

8 dead, hundreds injured at Astroworld fest Friday night, hours after stampede

Festival canceled as investigators work to find out what happened

[abc13.com]
--

Houston Fire Chief Samuel Pena on the tragedy at a Houston music festival where 8 people died and the death toll may rise

[www.msnbc.com]
--

'Some kind of crowd surge': Music festival in Houston turns deadly

[www.cnn.com]
--

Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival in Houston Leaves 8 Dead, Hundreds Injured After Friday Night Crowd Panic

by William Earl
November 6, 2021

[variety.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-07 21:17 by bye bye johnny.

Re: OT: "At Least" 8 Dead at Astroworld Festival in Houston
Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: November 6, 2021 23:39

This is terrible, the reports are horrific

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 7, 2021 00:48

Very sad.....and strange....

Security guard injected with drugs during Astroworld Festival disaster, HPD confirms
HPD Chief Troy Finner confirmed the claim while cautioning against speculation about what led to the deaths and injuries

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --
As rumors spread about what led to the deaths of eight people and hundreds of injuries at Friday night's Astroworld Festival, authorities confirmed one of the early claims that someone was injecting people with a needle during the deadly event, though it's possible it may have been an isolated incident.

A security guard working the festival was attempting to grab or restrain someone during the melee when he felt a prick on his neck before he lost consciousness, according to Houston Police Chief Troy Finner.

More. >Houston

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 7, 2021 01:32

very sad
my dad told about being nearly killed at a kiss/cheap trick concert in seattle in 1977 it was during the beginning of cheap trick's set he was in the front and at one point the crowd surged forward and he was pushed up against a fence or some kind of railing and was being pressed on so hard he couldn't breath when he didn't move any further because he couldn't some people started beating the sh-t out of him at this point he blacked out and was pulled out and saved by a security guard he woke up a couple minute latter and watched the rest of cheap tricks set which he says was great kiss on the other hand was so bad he said that the folk decked out in kiss gear and makeup booed them

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 7, 2021 02:02

This should not happen in 2021. Not at all.

We had The Who concert disaster in Cincinnati Ohio USA 1979, where 11 people died, and Nine Dead At Pearl Jam Concert in Roskilde Denmark 2000.

The deadly surge came hours after at least one person was injured when people rushed through a VIP entrance to the event in the afternoon.

And it came two years after three people were trampled and injured at the same festival as many rushed to enter in 2019.

The victims were 14, 16, two were 21, two were 23 and one was 27 years old, while one of the victim's ages remains unknown, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner announced in a news conference Saturday evening. There are no people reported missing, the mayor added.

At least 8 dead and many injured after crowd surge at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival in Houston, officials say (CNN)

Bjornulf

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 7, 2021 04:55

BV - I agree.
In 2021 should never have happened.
Very tragic.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 7, 2021 05:37

Hairball

Security guard injected with drugs during Astroworld Festival disaster, HPD confirms
... authorities confirmed one of the early claims that someone was injecting people with a needle during the deadly event,...

Now if this turns out to be true there's definitely something wrong out there.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 7, 2021 06:41

doitywoik
Hairball

... authorities confirmed one of the early claims that someone was injecting people with a needle during the deadly event,...

A sad reflection of our future generation.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 7, 2021 10:53

doitywoik
Hairball

Here in the UK recently there have been several incidents of women being injected in bars and nightclubs.

Nate

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: November 7, 2021 11:57

spikenyc
doitywoik
Hairball

No it’s not. How pathetic.

Date: November 7, 2021 14:08

Likely means some stringent crowd control measures will eventually be mandated especially for GA standing only sections.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2021 17:08

Bastion
spikenyc
doitywoik
Hairball

No it’s not. How pathetic.

I don't think you can blame this horrific event on 'our future generation'. There are people at fault here, but if you're going to stage a massive event like this it's the organizer's responsibility to ensure crowd safety through various measures.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: November 7, 2021 18:20

One reason for this tragedy might be the unprofessional security.
On ABC13 you can see that crowd overtakes security checkpoint. How did the security work inside the venue? More professional? Obviously not.

Posted by: rubyeveryday ()
Date: November 7, 2021 19:54

After attending hundreds of shows (15 Stones), I was blessed with my first - right in front of the stage - pit experience ever on this tour. It was a Lucky Dip so I had no expectations (!) and was a little nervous (and very excited) at first. I am pleased to report that it was very comfortable and I actually had plenty of room to dance. Obviously, this can be done. My heart goes out to the indiviudals who lost their lives at Astroworld and all of their loved ones. May all of the lessons that can be learned, are learned.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: November 7, 2021 20:58

I’m calling total bs on the injection thing. Short of hitting a vein it takes awhile before anyone would feel it as it was a skin pop.

On another note I and most here have been to many many shows with 60k plus crowds without dancing on ambulance roofs or blocking emergency vehicles.
This garbage is the actions of kids and those that think it’s ok after seeing it all summer 2020.

Which points to the crowds those rap shows attract and the attitude that we hat they do is ok.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 7, 2021 21:02

Don't blame the kids or the crowd or the music or those who just were there for the music. The security must have been bad. I am sure there will be investigations into this, making changes for the industry.

Bjornulf

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: November 7, 2021 21:14

The kid incites riots at his shows. He was been busted twice for it. He encourages his fans to crash gates, barriers, flaunt security protocols, etc. take a look at the video. This has been happening at his shows for years. Off that it hasn’t happened already

[youtu.be]

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: November 7, 2021 21:16

Here is same thing 2 years ago. What is security going to do with this madness?

[youtu.be]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 7, 2021 21:31

Eight Dead, Hundreds Injured: What We Know About the Astroworld Fest Tragedy

Authorities are still sifting through the aftermath of the horrific incident Sunday

By Brenna Ehrlich
November 7, 2021

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: November 8, 2021 00:44

chevysales
I’m calling total bs on the injection thing. Short of hitting a vein it takes awhile before anyone would feel it as it was a skin pop.

On another note I and most here have been to many many shows with 60k plus crowds without dancing on ambulance roofs or blocking emergency vehicles.
This garbage is the actions of kids and those that think it’s ok after seeing it all summer 2020.

Which points to the crowds those rap shows attract and the attitude that we hat they do is ok.

Care to be more specific about "the crowds those rap shows attract"?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 8, 2021 02:58

treaclefingers
chevysales

Care to be more specific about "the crowds those rap shows attract"?

I am curious too. (I have been to several this year and heading to another in a bit but at a 2500 capacity venue with separate pit and balcony seating).

But dangerously inconsiderate behavior and crowd mismanagement has been a constant as long as I have been attending events if not enough to cause mass casualties.

And everybody here knows if you want to get a paycheck just for hanging out, concert staff is the way to go which is why concerts still have plenty of employees while it's a challenge to find a bite to eat afterward (so many fast food places aren't staying open late anymore because people aren't working those jobs).

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 8, 2021 03:33

There was a massive fight in the pit at the Luke Bryan Irvine show last month with injuries and one of the complaints is no one stepped in to do anything! Just keep that in mind if anything goes down at the next Stones show, you are on your own.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: November 8, 2021 03:57

forsure
The kid incites riots at his shows. He was been busted twice for it. He encourages his fans to crash gates, barriers, flaunt security protocols, etc. take a look at the video. This has been happening at his shows for years. Off that it hasn’t happened already

[youtu.be]
Then he organizes his own festival and its a fiasco.

How nobody saw it coming?

Looking at the footage its clear that theres waay to many people inside those barricades.

Very sad since this was so unnecessary. The industry has learned from The Who 1979, AC/CD 1991, Pearl Jam Roskilde 2000, Limp Bizkit 2001 Big Day Out.

Date: November 8, 2021 04:31

Dan
There was a massive fight in the pit at the Luke Bryan Irvine show last month with injuries and one of the complaints is no one stepped in to do anything! Just keep that in mind if anything goes down at the next Stones show, you are on your own.

That was sort of the message between the lines from Altamont, wasn't it?!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 8, 2021 05:40

rebelhipi
forsure

[youtu.be]

Looking at the footage its clear that theres waay to many people inside those barricades.

Very sad since this was so unnecessary. The industry has learned from The Who 1979, AC/CD 1991, Pearl Jam Roskilde 2000, Limp Bizkit 2001 Big Day Out.

Yeah that was my thought also. There’s been so many of these situations over the years you’d imagine the lessons were learned. Seems like a lack of security or properly trained security. Most gigs I’ve been to in the last 10 years have multiple barriers or points to show your ticket before ever getting to the venue.

The T type crowd barrier that came in a few years ago really helped with the surges. The stones have an ego ramp as do lots of bands and that covers the T. It divides the crowd pressure at the front really well.

Things were hairy in crowds in the 90s. So many times I would move 10 feet in a direction without my feet touching the ground. I remember at a Radiohead gig of all things really being worried a friend was going to die, it took what felt like forever to get to him in the bodies and pull him and others to their feet, there was a broken leg in there among other injuries. He was kind of grey when I got him. Someone did get killed at a Smashing Pumpkins gig I was at, another scary night. Sports events were a serious crush at times back when terraces were still used. Had a few crushes there too. Another scary crowd was Oasis in 1995, they stopped the show a few times, I moved from midway in a crowd of 80,000 to within 10 feet of the stage in 2-3 songs. I don’t remember much really other than trying to stay alive for the first few songs of their set.

I thought events were better policed & had more security now than they did. I thought Pit barriers and GA barriers and the T type barrier at the front a crush like this was a thing of the past. Even “festival” type setups employ a Pit type barrier a third of the way through the crowd.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 8, 2021 13:58

Another nail in the bloated dead carcass of the touring /live entertainment industry . It's all by design to get your money and then you can fend for yourself . Truly disgusting and a black eye on a most scummy and seedy industry !

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 8, 2021 18:14

First lawsuits have been filed against Travis Scott, Live Nation and Scoremore ...

Officals confirm that criminal investigation is underway that killed at least eight people at the Astroworld Festival in Houston on Friday.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 9, 2021 02:18

General crowd control and crowd safety at any event is never the responsibility of the customer. In fact, the customer paid for that already. Part of the ticket income goes to hiring security staff. It is thus the responsibility of the organizer to ensure crowd safety. The venue owner also has its share of responsibility to guarantee that the venue meets certain safety requirements etc.

The sad thing is that most disasters are avoidable and just waiting to happen.

I know Hillsborough is a football (soccer) example, but it’s still very relevant. People crushed to death because of bad organizing. Having read all the enquiry reports covering the Hillsborough disaster (with a death toll now updated to 97 victims), it’s shocking to learn just how complacent those with responsibility can be. The Leppings Lane end was well known to be dangerous. Hillsborough did not have a valid safety certificate issued by the Sheffield fire department (necessary after the Valley Parade disaster in 1985). It was considered a death trap should anything go wrong. Sheff Wednesday still rented out their stadium and FA willingly hired it for FA Cup Semi finals throughout the ‘80s. There were major crushes in 1981, 1987 and 1988 – causing hundreds of injuries and near fatalities. The capacity was obviously overestimated, but never lowered despite repeating crushes. Turnstiles were too few, slow and rusty, regularly creating bottlenecks outside the end. A well known problem, but never a penny spent on maintenance. For some reason a completely inexperienced police officer with no knowledge of the ground was appointed to lead the security police force at the semi final in 1989, making several disastrous decisions that lead to 97 deaths and more than 700 injuries.

Hillsborough led to safer football stadiums in the UK, moving away from the policy of caging fans inside fenced pens like animals to all seated stadiums without fences and easy escape routes. Likewise, this tragic Texas event should (hopefully) lead to safer events in the USA (and the world).

PS: A crush happened at the Stones gig in Marseilles 2018. I had to climb a fence to avoid the crush. Two women fainted and needed medical attention. IMO it happened because the organizers had created bottlenecks where thousands of fans were herded against each other from two directions thru a narrow passage. A real mess that should never have happened. Many crushes seems to happen this way, where too many people are herded thru narrow passages and bottlenecks with nowhere to escape.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2021 02:52

THE AGE ---- 9 November 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: November 9, 2021 03:13

Paddy
rebelhipi
forsure

[youtu.be]

Yeah that was my thought also. There’s been so many of these situations over the years you’d imagine the lessons were learned. Seems like a lack of security or properly trained security. Most gigs I’ve been to in the last 10 years have multiple barriers or points to show your ticket before ever getting to the venue.

The T type crowd barrier that came in a few years ago really helped with the surges. The stones have an ego ramp as do lots of bands and that covers the T. It divides the crowd pressure at the front really well.

Things were hairy in crowds in the 90s. So many times I would move 10 feet in a direction without my feet touching the ground. I remember at a Radiohead gig of all things really being worried a friend was going to die, it took what felt like forever to get to him in the bodies and pull him and others to their feet, there was a broken leg in there among other injuries. He was kind of grey when I got him. Someone did get killed at a Smashing Pumpkins gig I was at, another scary night. Sports events were a serious crush at times back when terraces were still used. Had a few crushes there too. Another scary crowd was Oasis in 1995, they stopped the show a few times, I moved from midway in a crowd of 80,000 to within 10 feet of the stage in 2-3 songs. I don’t remember much really other than trying to stay alive for the first few songs of their set.

I thought events were better policed & had more security now than they did. I thought Pit barriers and GA barriers and the T type barrier at the front a crush like this was a thing of the past. Even “festival” type setups employ a Pit type barrier a third of the way through the crowd.
Well said. I was only once in a scary situation. Iron Maiden in Knebworth 2014 the woman next to me passed out during the first song seconds after a enormouss crowd surge. I spent the whole gig waiting it to be over.

They had an T barrier which actually i dont like since if its overcrowded and theres a surge, you get cornered by two barriers. Infront and on the side.

I much prefer this smooth V shape Barrier like in this photo [www.hameensanomat.fi]

If theres a push everyone will move to the sides so nobody gets cornered and trapped.
Most important is not over crowding the area of course.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home