Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: When Johnny Cash played for 700 hippies
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 4, 2021 17:27

For the JC fans (and others) here. I'm looking forward to this, stripped down JC.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: OT: When Johnny Cash played for 700 hippies
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 4, 2021 19:09

Mighty Big Thanks for posting . This conjured up memories from 1996 my one and only time seeing the Man in Black Live in concert from the first row in the orchestra pit dead center right in front of his mic . Johnny Cash comes onstage and I am screaming and hooting and he comes right over to me and gives me the biggest smile before saying his trademark "Hello I am Johnny Cash " followed by Folsom Prison Blues . Mr Cash gave me his guitar pick , which I could not have been any more thrilled to receive right from the Man in Blacks hand ! It's funny how when I was a kid my dad had a Johnny Cash cassette tape in his car that I would listen to , and as a kid what did I know ? Not much at all , except that sound in my head .

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 4, 2021 22:16

Great story TheGreek! Great music transcends generations.......

Date: November 5, 2021 13:42

1cdog
Great story TheGreek! Great music transcends generations.......
Big time ! Reminds of when I was a kid and watching Colombo and the episode with Johnny Cash bigger than life and Lt. Colombo being star struck (or the way he told it was Mrs. Colombo was the fan ) and Performing I walk the Line . The pool party where Johnny was playing with the Tennessee Three with there Fender Silver face amps and Johnny's Martin acoustic and cautioning /warning to be careful of his Martin . Then later on getting into Captain Trips and there rendition of Big River . It is something when you are on the periphery of Mr. Cash music and it is something to be exposed to it at an early age and not really "get" or comprehend it's significance , but yet at the same time to have that layered into my ears .Then later when I really "got it" that it hits and makes me smile as it was already imbedded in me . Good Stuff for sure .

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 5, 2021 14:35

Saw Johnny at Madison Square Garden 1969 my first official concert Doug Kershaw opened the show. It was subsequently released on CD.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 5, 2021 14:37

TheGreek
Mighty Big Thanks for posting . This conjured up memories from 1996 my one and only time seeing the Man in Black Live in concert from the first row in the orchestra pit dead center right in front of his mic . Johnny Cash comes onstage and I am screaming and hooting and he comes right over to me and gives me the biggest smile before saying his trademark "Hello I am Johnny Cash " followed by Folsom Prison Blues . Mr Cash gave me his guitar pick , which I could not have been any more thrilled to receive right from the Man in Blacks hand ! It's funny how when I was a kid my dad had a Johnny Cash cassette tape in his car that I would listen to , and as a kid what did I know ? Not much at all , except that sound in my head .

That's awesome! I saw him twice in the 90s. Such great shows. I love Johnny. Sadly, I never got his pick. But I have visited his birth site, the town where he grew up and his museum.

Date: November 5, 2021 14:54

ChrisL
TheGreek

That's awesome! I saw him twice in the 90s. Such great shows. I love Johnny. Sadly, I never got his pick. But I have visited his birth site, the town where he grew up and his museum.
That is is awesome and on my list of places to visit for sure !

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: November 5, 2021 15:40

I saw Johnny Cash May 13, 1970 in Fort Collins, Colorado, at the Moby Gym Arena, packed to a full house of about 10,000, and I am sure, including MORE than 700 hippies.

It was an incredible show, and only my 3rd concert, at age 18.

All I knew at the time was that there were a lot of people on that stage, and it was some 40 years later that I bothered to find out who they all were, including the 6 guitar players:

Johnny Cash: Lead Vocals and Acoustic Guitar
June Carter Cash: Backing Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, and Autoharp
Carl Perkins: Electric Guitar
The Tennesee Three:
Bob Wootton: Electric Guitar
Marshall Grant: Stand-up Bass
W. S. Holland: Drums
The Statler Brothers:
Don Reid: Lead Backing Vocals
Harold Reid: Bass Backing Vocals
Phil Balsley: Baritone Backing Vocals
Lew DeWitt: Tenor Backing Vocals and Electric Guitar
Maybelle Carter and The Carter Sisters:
Mother Maybelle Carter: Backing Vocals and Acoustic Guitar
Helen Carter: Backing Vocals
Anita Carter: Backing Vocals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-05 16:05 by Chacho.

Date: November 5, 2021 19:53

Chacho
I saw Johnny Cash May 13, 1970 in Fort Collins, Colorado, at the Moby Gym Arena, packed to a full house of about 10,000, and I am sure, including MORE than 700 hippies.

It was an incredible show, and only my 3rd concert, at age 18.

All I knew at the time was that there were a lot of people on that stage, and it was some 40 years later that I bothered to find out who they all were, including the 6 guitar players:

Johnny Cash: Lead Vocals and Acoustic Guitar
June Carter Cash: Backing Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, and Autoharp
Carl Perkins: Electric Guitar
The Tennesee Three:
Bob Wootton: Electric Guitar
Marshall Grant: Stand-up Bass
W. S. Holland: Drums
The Statler Brothers:
Don Reid: Lead Backing Vocals
Harold Reid: Bass Backing Vocals
Phil Balsley: Baritone Backing Vocals
Lew DeWitt: Tenor Backing Vocals and Electric Guitar
Maybelle Carter and The Carter Sisters:
Mother Maybelle Carter: Backing Vocals and Acoustic Guitar
Helen Carter: Backing Vocals
Anita Carter: Backing Vocals
Wow , that sounds like a killer lineup and jeez Louise I would have loved to have been there .

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 5, 2021 19:58

ChrisL
TheGreek

I live in Hendersonville, just off of Johnny Cash Pkwy, on his peninsula.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home