Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Daryl Jones' bass tech
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 2, 2021 03:21

Does anyone know if Daryl is using a different bass tech this tour than the person he has used since 50 and counting? (Derek Phelps)

Re: Daryl Jones' bass tech
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 2, 2021 03:28

[derekphelps.brandyourself.com]

He's still there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 03:30 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: November 2, 2021 14:45

Jones' sound hasn't really changed over the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 14:46 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: November 2, 2021 14:52

From the clips I've heard on this tour it sounds more powerful than earlier tours. Rounder and more punchy. And that is a good thing thumbs up

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 2, 2021 14:59

DandelionPowderman
From the clips I've heard on this tour it sounds more powerful than earlier tours. Rounder and more punchy. And that is a good thing thumbs up

That's also what it looks like

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 2, 2021 16:21

He posts an impressive Stones topic on Linkedin. It changes from the usual stuff.

[www.linkedin.com]

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 3, 2021 04:08

Glad to hear he's still there. Great dude. Was fortunate enough to get a private pre-show tour of the stage by him in Warsaw a few years ago.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 4, 2021 07:34

Never been able to figure his playing out. Does he intentionally miss the notes Wyman played? Does he understand them? Does he know how to give backbone to a song? Or did they all stop caring? My god he makes Wyman seem brilliant now.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 4, 2021 11:34

24FPS
Never been able to figure his playing out. Does he intentionally miss the notes Wyman played? Does he understand them? Does he know how to give backbone to a song? Or did they all stop caring? My god he makes Wyman seem brilliant now.

Well, Wyman was actually kind of brilliant. I think in all reality Wyman really made the Stones the best band in the world, together with Charlie.

Mathijs

Date: November 4, 2021 15:35

Since Charlie's passing and Wyman's departure something very essential has gone in the Stones' groove. There's is no way I can deny it.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 4, 2021 18:26

24FPS

Very simply, DJ plays what he thinks will work for the song. At times he plays note by note what Wyman played on the record, other times a variation of the original lines, other times again his own lines.

Exactly like Jagger, Wood and Richards don't play a note for note copy of what they did on the record.

For the record, Bill himself didn't play his original lines on the "oldies" that were played in the 81/82 and 89/90 tours. His tone and playing evolved (=changed) along the years.

Mick Taylor played a whole bunch of (great) solos that didn't even exist in the studio versions.

Did Billy Preston give a fu@k of what Hopkins played on Devil?

What did you say the first time you heard YaYa's? No intro to Flash? different melody to the chorus? no piano on Devil?

Was Whyman great? Sure he was!

You don't like Jones as a replacement? Fair enough

But to say he can't give backbone to a song ... Please ...

C

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 4, 2021 18:57

I was gonna say Darryl Jones is a replacement like in any other in a band. If he wasn't CAPABLE of filling Wyman's shoes, he wouldn't be there. Same as Steve Jordan. I'm not even meaning to defend Darryl, as I don't really feel anything for him, but just saying these guys are expert musicians or they wouldn't be with the band. Could they do what Wyman and Watts did for their albums? No, I doubt it when this band was in their prime. But they are hired replacements for original members, which means they can definitely play what the originals played but decide to add their own flair, because why wouldn't they. If Mick and Keith wanted him to play exactly like Wyman, he would or they'd get someone who would. But they're not not aware of what he does live. They obviously like it.

Date: November 4, 2021 19:29

RollingFreak
I was gonna say Darryl Jones is a replacement like in any other in a band. If he wasn't CAPABLE of filling Wyman's shoes, he wouldn't be there. Same as Steve Jordan. I'm not even meaning to defend Darryl, as I don't really feel anything for him, but just saying these guys are expert musicians or they wouldn't be with the band. Could they do what Wyman and Watts did for their albums? No, I doubt it when this band was in their prime. But they are hired replacements for original members, which means they can definitely play what the originals played but decide to add their own flair, because why wouldn't they. If Mick and Keith wanted him to play exactly like Wyman, he would or they'd get someone who would. But they're not not aware of what he does live. They obviously like it.

What flair? Steve Jordan hews close enough to Charlie's drum parts that he can add 'flair' here and there. Darryl just sort of vaguely follows Wyman's parts with no enhancement. Maybe that was the secret to the Wyman-Watts rhythm section, a jazz drummer with a rock and roll bassist. Only it doesn't work in reverse with a rock and roll drummer and a jazz bassist.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 4, 2021 19:50

24FPS
RollingFreak

What flair? Steve Jordan hews close enough to Charlie's drum parts that he can add 'flair' here and there. Darryl just sort of vaguely follows Wyman's parts with no enhancement. Maybe that was the secret to the Wyman-Watts rhythm section, a jazz drummer with a rock and roll bassist. Only it doesn't work in reverse with a rock and roll drummer and a jazz bassist.

Vaguely following Wyman's parts is clearly his "flair". He plays the way he plays. I can't quite tell if thats a serious comment or not. He obviously feels not all of Wyman's notes are necessary but also doesn't add his own new ones. He can do the work with half the notes. It is what it is, again if Mick and Keith didn't like it he'd be gone.

Date: November 5, 2021 05:47

RollingFreak
24FPS
RollingFreak

Vaguely following Wyman's parts is clearly his "flair". He plays the way he plays. I can't quite tell if thats a serious comment or not. He obviously feels not all of Wyman's notes are necessary but also doesn't add his own new ones. He can do the work with half the notes. It is what it is, again if Mick and Keith didn't like it he'd be gone.

Dead serious. Okay, so he doesn't play Wyman's parts. Well, he hasn't replaced what he's not playing with anything worthwhile. He can 'do the work', but it's certainly far below what should be heard from the 'Greatest Rock & Roll Band, etc'. This isn't what's left of Journey with a sound a like singer. Mick and Keith are too lazy now to let him go. I remember Bill saying years ago the only reason they never kicked him out was so they could be assured of having a bass player on tour. It just doesn't matter to Mick & Keith.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 5, 2021 14:37

liddas
24FPS

Very simply, DJ plays what he thinks will work for the song. At times he plays note by note what Wyman played on the record, other times a variation of the original lines, other times again his own lines.

Exactly like Jagger, Wood and Richards don't play a note for note copy of what they did on the record.

For the record, Bill himself didn't play his original lines on the "oldies" that were played in the 81/82 and 89/90 tours. His tone and playing evolved (=changed) along the years.

Mick Taylor played a whole bunch of (great) solos that didn't even exist in the studio versions.

What did you say the first time you heard YaYa's? No intro to Flash? different melody to the chorus? no piano on Devil?

C

Spot on post. I agree.

But I DO wish the extended Miss You solo was gone. It’s just tooooo long!

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-05 14:51 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 5, 2021 16:08

bitusa2012
liddas
24FPS

C

Spot on post. I agree.

But I DO wish the extended Miss You solo was gone. It’s just tooooo long!

All 21 seconds?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home