Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the best sounding releases of stones solo albums
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 31, 2021 23:52

hi
i can find lots of threads about the best sounding releases of stones albums on cd and vinyl but can't find the same thing for there solo stuff
could really use some advice from collectors with more experience and wiser ears
thanks

Re: the best sounding releases of stones solo albums
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 1, 2021 09:05

Original releases ?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 1, 2021 09:14

Do you know about this site? It’s very helpful to me. Cheers! [dr.loudness-war.info]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 1, 2021 09:24

Who really cares? Other than Charlie all of their solo careers come down to a scant handful of songs that you would ever listen to again. Take It So Hard for Keith, which really sounds like a Stones demo. Just Another Night for Mick, and Warring People from Super Heavy. Bill has Je Suis Un Rock Star, and What & HoW & If & When & Why from Back to Basics. And I don't remember Ronnie having a memorable standout, and I've never listened to Mick Taylor solo. There.

Date: November 1, 2021 10:41

24FPS
Who really cares? Other than Charlie all of their solo careers come down to a scant handful of songs that you would ever listen to again. Take It So Hard for Keith, which really sounds like a Stones demo. Just Another Night for Mick, and Warring People from Super Heavy. Bill has Je Suis Un Rock Star, and What & HoW & If & When & Why from Back to Basics. And I don't remember Ronnie having a memorable standout, and I've never listened to Mick Taylor solo. There.

You should listen more. Ronnie is the one with the best solo albums - by far.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 1, 2021 11:14

I would stick to original editions. Also, in many cases the original edition is the only one.

In the case of Keith there is one very good and very expensive re-issue of Talk Is Cheap CD on MFSL. It is out of print for a long time.

The recent re-issues (like Keith's Talk Is Cheap and Live At The Hollywood Palladium) are interesting in the terms of Superdeluxe treatment but are step back in terms of sound quality.

Mick Jagger released all four solo albums on SHM-CD’s in 2020 Japan Only : "She's The Boss" (1985), "Primitive Cool" (1987), "Wandering Spirit" (1993) and "Goddess In The Doorway" (2001). Those were remastered but I have no idea how do they sound. But the fact they were remastered in 2011 does not lead to big expectations.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 1, 2021 11:24

24FPS

Keith's solo albums are all worth listening to. They all have one or two weak ones (Big Enough, Yap Yap, Body Talks, Blues in the Morning), but the rest is good, sometimes very good, and sometimes even great. His last one stands out for its 4 fantastic soul ballads.
I don't like any of Mick Jagger's solo stuff, not even Wandering Spirit, but a lot of people like that one, so maybe I am missing something (maybe I am too Auwda Focahs). One of the problems I have with it is the sound: too polished and clean.
Ronnie's are exactly as you would expect, which is good if you want just plain simple blues rock, or bad if you want something slightly unexpected, original or "different".
Bill Wyman..., well, no.
The others, I don't know.

Date: November 1, 2021 12:03

<Big Enough>

That funk again, matxil winking smiley

Date: November 1, 2021 13:27

24FPS

i really care
you should give ronnie another chance bill I could do without but ronnie just off the top of my head listen to breath on me the original from the 70's or his version of pretty beat up from slide on this live or far east man or ifekshun and buried alive from foxes vol 4 these are some of the ones that stand out to me
but that's just my opinion and we all have a lot of those

Date: November 1, 2021 13:43

ironbelly
I would stick to original editions. Also, in many cases the original edition is the only one.

In the case of Keith there is one very good and very expensive re-issue of Talk Is Cheap CD on MFSL. It is out of print for a long time.

The recent re-issues (like Keith's Talk Is Cheap and Live At The Hollywood Palladium) are interesting in the terms of Superdeluxe treatment but are step back in terms of sound quality.

Mick Jagger released all four solo albums on SHM-CD’s in 2020 Japan Only : "She's The Boss" (1985), "Primitive Cool" (1987), "Wandering Spirit" (1993) and "Goddess In The Doorway" (2001). Those were remastered but I have no idea how do they sound. But the fact they were remastered in 2011 does not lead to big expectations.
thanks ironbelly that's actually very useful i'll look for that mfsl release of talk is cheap

wandering spirit i have on the original cd cassette and vinyl and out of those 3 my favorite way to listen to it is on the original vinyl not the best in terms of detail that would be the cd but the vinyl is a more pleasant listen at high volume it might be more detailed but the adc cart i like to use is from 1964 but i love the way it sounds so i accept some loss of detail for a more pleasant listening experience but would love to get an upgrade for the cd so if anyone has heard the 2020 japanese cd please let me how it sounds

Date: November 1, 2021 14:27

Main Offender was very well recorded.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 1, 2021 17:07

Best sounding single song ...
MJ from "Performance" soundtrack ...
the original
Memo From Turner

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 1, 2021 17:10

“It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.” -- Bill Clinton

It depends on your definition of best sounding.

Date: November 1, 2021 18:54

schillid
Best sounding single song ...
MJ from "Performance" soundtrack ...
the original
Memo From Turner

last month i found a original sealed copy on vinyl and it does indeed sound very good

Date: November 1, 2021 18:56

schillid
“It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.” -- Bill Clinton

It depends on your definition of best sounding.

not brickwalled, high dynamic range, not painful to listen to thru headphones or speakers at high volume

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 1, 2021 22:22

DandelionPowderman

That funk again, matxil winking smiley

True smiling smiley, that's part of the "problem". But I also think that Keith's voice really doesn't work for that kind of music. It works surprisingly good with soul but with funk not so much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home