Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Tampa show live updates - Friday 29-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: October 30, 2021 16:52

I was amused when Mick sang "I stuck around St. Petersburg when I saw it was a time for a change", and the crowd cheered loudly.

That's not the St. Pete that Mick was talking about!

Re: Tampa show live updates - Friday 29-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 30, 2021 17:28

Was it the first time they did Sad Sad Sad without Mick playing guitar? I think he always played a guitar on it (at least in 89-90 and 19 shows).

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: October 30, 2021 17:54

I love it when they do a bit of Country. Far Away Eyes is just a bit of fun really but I thought they sounded great.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: October 30, 2021 18:01

Took my wife and daughter last night to show. Great time.

Surprised no one's mentioned 19th getting bumped.

I was disappointed, especially since SSS was played, a song I actually like, but also one a band like the Stones should never even consider playing live. So many better choices they could pull off.

19th was has sounded so fresh with Jordan.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 30, 2021 18:09

They are doing a much better job of diversifying their set lists on this tour. Those rehearsals are paying off. A couple of other Some Girls rockers that would be welcome additions would be When The Whip Comes Down and Respectable.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: October 30, 2021 18:16

Javadave
They are doing a much better job of diversifying their set lists on this tour. Those rehearsals are paying off. A couple of other Some Girls rockers that would be welcome additions would be When The Whip Comes Down and Respectable.

Yeah

Date: October 30, 2021 18:21

Interesting to note that Beast of Burden and Far Away Eyes were also played back-to-back in Tampa in 1994.

Thought Chuck kept track of these things?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 30, 2021 18:21

MadMax
KRiffhard
Green Lady
rebelrebel
franzk
[www.youtube.com]

Not as bad as I expected. The beat is pretty good and energetic.

It's fine other than the solo which had me wincing and laughing simultaneously. Not surprised the poster has turned comments off.

Yes, it was going nicely until it came to solo time.

This song needs a third guitar (Mick)

Yeah Mick in open-G, this tune is written in that tuning so it's bizarre that they do it with 2 standard tuned guitars, the song gets totally transformed. Keith plays the solo in what, b flat? Spinal Tap vibes!grinning smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 30, 2021 18:47

Markbot
Listening to my recording of the show now. What a hell of a good time it was.

Since Sad Sad Sad was so bad according to the comments here I guess I should not include that track in my upload on Dime.thumbs up

OK that's your choice and very fine. But in my perspective, you must not exclude anything from that recording.

It's just the band playing. Ok, it's the Stones, but they are still a kind of garage band when it comes to playing live. They rumble and stumble, like always, and that's exactly what Rock 'n Roll is.

Much of the Stones show now is choreographed by now - but playing live has always risks. And at their age it's a wonder how Mick still moves and Keith and Ronnie still weave.

Then, they play SSS and Keith completely misses the right key for the solo. The only thing that really puzzles me here is the fact that he didn't change his playing on the fretboard at once but kept on playing the wrong notes. Just like he had no good monitoring on stage and couldn't hear his own playing, but this I can't imagine to be true. Not with a production of that scale and quality they have running now. And, too, Keith is not deaf. So that would be a question I really would like to have answered.

I'm sure, Mick and Keith will discuss those moments with the production team running this tour, as they will have done with this fabulous incident with the missing 10string acoustic guitar for Wild Horses before.

In a nutshell: keep the recording complete! It's the Stones and here they are in all their glory!

I love this band!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-30 18:55 by waterrats.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 30, 2021 19:03

Markbot

Since Sad Sad Sad was so bad according to the comments here I guess I should not include that track in my upload on Dime.thumbs up

No, no, no............all of it.

1. Keith's @#$%& ups are legendary.
2. Mick said once, "You can't outpunk Keith"..............grinning smiley

It would be great to see this on 'Hotstuff' on wetransfer or Filefactory too.......thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-30 19:04 by EddieByword.

Tampa - Friday 29-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 30, 2021 19:18

In Tampa, the Rolling Stones have got what you need

Their long-postponed concert shows the rock icons still at the height of their powers.

By Colette Bancroft
October 30, 2021

LUIS SANTANA | Times

TAMPA — On Friday night, about midway through the Rolling Stones’ high-energy concert at Raymond James Stadium, Mick Jagger invoked the Tampa Bay area’s historical link to the band: the origin story of (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.

In 1965, the Stones played a Clearwater concert. “We played four songs and then got kicked off the stage,” Jagger said. Every fan knows the rest of the story — they went back to the Fort Harrison Hotel and Satisfaction was born.

“Now the hotel belongs to the Church of Scientology,” Jagger said. “We heard they had to ritually cleanse the site of our pernicious influence.”

The roaring crowd seemed glad to have their influence back, dancing and singing along and ignoring a few drifts of raindrops on a cool, breezy night. The Tampa date, finally played after the band’s No Filter tour was postponed more than a year ago in the early part of the pandemic, was a rock ‘n’ roll celebration of life tinged with a sense of loss.

The show opened with an empty stage, a powerful recorded drumbeat and, on the tall video towers, images of Charlie Watts. The band’s original and, for almost 60 years, only drummer, Watts died in August at the age of 80. (Fashion item of the evening among the audience: Charlie Watts memorial T-shirts.)

Then the fireworks went off, and the Stones charged into Street Fighting Man, the first song in a nonstop, two-hour, 19-song set.

Yes, the core members of the band are in their 70s. Yes, we used to think rock ‘n’ roll was a young person’s game. Turns out it can keep you young.

Ron Wood hasn’t changed much, still an impish stage presence and a blistering guitar player, although his cheekbones are now so deeply etched you could hide an acorn in there.

Keith Richards was long the edgiest member of the crew, with a cigarette dangling from his piratical sneer and a legendary capacity for partying. He has changed: With a beaming smile, a fuzzy hot-pink knit cap and sneakers with glow-in-the-dark stripes, he seems downright cuddly.

Jagger still moves like Jagger: the hip shake, the shoulder shimmy, the dash down the runway in front of the stage. Generations of rock singers have imitated those moves, but Mick is the original article and as mesmerizing as ever.

The set list was almost all greatest hits, but when you’ve made as many greatest hits as the Stones, why not? The first half of the concert featured lots of sing-alongs: Get Off of My Cloud, Tumblin’ Dice, Start Me Up and a glorious version of Honky Tonk Women that could probably be heard in space.

There was a handful of less familiar songs, like Sad Sad Sad, from the 1989 Steel Wheels album. At each tour stop, ticket holders vote for one Stones deep cut to be performed. Tampa chose Far Away Eyes, from the 1978 Some Girls album, a tongue-in-cheek country song graced by Wood‘s steel guitar.

The only new song the band performed was the eerie, reggae-tinged Living in a Ghost Town, which Jagger introduced as “our lockdown song.”

Jagger got his customary two-song break mid show, when Richards took the mic in good voice to sing Connection and Happy. He also offered heartfelt thanks to the audience and expressed his joy at being back on the road, “doing what we do.” With a benevolent smile and a wave of the hand, he said, “God rains upon you all. Bless you.”

Jagger, Richards and Wood are the core members, but there were 11 performers on stage, every one an ace. Jagger pointed out that keyboard player and music director Chuck Leavell first played with the Stones 40 years ago this week; Leavell demonstrated his chops with with a rousing gospel piano solo at the end of You Can’t Always Get What You Want.

The newest member, stepping into Charlie Watts’ impossibly cool shoes, isn’t really new. Veteran drummer Steve Jordan had Watts’ blessing to fill in for him on the tour, and he has played with Richards on solo projects since the 1980s, so he has slipped pretty much seamlessly into the spot.

The second half of the show began with Miss You, more heartbreaking than ever before, and then turned into an express train: Midnight Rambler, Paint It Black, Sympathy for the Devil and Jumpin’ Jack Flash.

The encore gave backup singer Sasha Allen a turn in the spotlight in Gimme Shelter, and she delivered with a wailing solo and a fiery duet with Jagger that ended with them walking off the runway hand in hand.

And at the end, of course, back to the touchstone: Satisfaction. We got some.

[www.tampabay.com]

Date: October 30, 2021 19:21

Here's SSS from the pit perspective.

The sound from there is an advantage, because

a) you hear more of the monitoring sound for the stage (same as for the band) as against the mixed PA sound way back in the venue

b) you can see Mick's reaction immediately after the first of Keith's wrong notes: he's looking back to him while walking out on the catwalk to check what's going wrong there...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 30, 2021 20:07

waterrats

a) you hear more of the monitoring sound for the stage (same as for the band) as against the mixed PA sound way back in the venue

b) you can see Mick's reaction immediately after the first of Keith's wrong notes: he's looking back to him while walking out on the catwalk to check what's going wrong there...

it's still a lousy performance. And it's a shame that they dopped '19th Breakdown'

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 30, 2021 20:18

Aside from Keith's totally out of tune lead in " Sad, Sad, Sad, " I thought they did a really good job on that song....which is not one of my favorites but still...it was over-all not a great set list from my perspective...don't love " Far Away Eyes"...still great to hear the Stones sounding so ALIVE & STRONG!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 30, 2021 20:19

slewan
waterrats

it's still a lousy performance. And it's a shame that they dopped '19th Breakdown'

Wait, because they mixed up the setlist a bit and didn't play a particular song at one show that is a bad thing? Not knowing what's next is part of the excitement. If they don't play a particular song you want to see one show, go again.

Date: October 30, 2021 20:43

daspyknows
slewan
waterrats

Wait, because they mixed up the setlist a bit and didn't play a particular song at one show that is a bad thing? Not knowing what's next is part of the excitement. If they don't play a particular song you want to see one show, go again.

Mixing up the setlist is great. The surprise is a huge part of the experience.
I just question what they mixed it up with.
For the greatest band of all-time winding it down, likely the last time they play in the U.S., certainly the last time they play in Tampa, not to mention there are only a couple of spots where they can add something different, there are a lot better doable options than SSS, even with a solo that's in tune.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 30, 2021 21:06

I liked SSS, glad they played it is a song that I love.
Listening again from the video posted above, it's not even that bad, some inaccuracies that the Stones usually do especially on songs that don't often play live, but all in all I liked it.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: October 30, 2021 21:44

So far these are some of the best setlists I've ever seen them do. Fantastic balance and pace to the selections. Pure magic.

Date: October 30, 2021 21:55

Testify
Listening again from the video posted above, it's not even that bad, some inaccuracies that the Stones usually do especially on songs that don't often play live, but all in all I liked it.

So do I. I guess, nobody expected that glitch during the song, at least the band and Keith.

Having said that, I remember that "Ghost Town", too, met not too many positive judgements...

I saw the video of Ghost Town from Tampa just an hour or two ago and it brought tears to my eyes. IMO, they played that song almost flawlessly, and very intense. I also feel, that you must have the balls to play a song like this in this way in a stadium, slowing down the pace in front of such an audience. Respect!

The video composition, too, added much to the song, I find. Whaddya think?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 30, 2021 22:23

Markbot

please tell me your kidding i means its your recording do what you please with it
i'm grateful for what i can get
but please don't leave off this song even if it is a trainwreck some of us enjoy them

see here
iorr

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 30, 2021 22:32

waterrats

I saw the video of Ghost Town from Tampa just an hour or two ago and it brought tears to my eyes. IMO, they played that song almost flawlessly, and very intense. I also feel, that you must have the balls to play a song like this in this way in a stadium, slowing down the pace in front of such an audience. Respect!

Very good version, Mick's voice sounds good, I wonder if he's using a tiny bit of auto-tune on this particular song.

Video composition is also nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-30 22:34 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 30, 2021 22:33

waterrats
Testify

So do I. I guess, nobody expected that glitch during the song, at least the band and Keith.

Having said that, I remember that "Ghost Town", too, met not too many positive judgements...

Really enjoy Ghost Town live.. great vibe and agree, the visuals definitely add to it thumbs up

Like Sad Sad Sad from last night as well.. Enjoyed it a lot when they played it at Chicago 2. Wouldn't have changed Keith's tuning situation, but I do like it better when Mick straps on a guitar to play. His voice just a bit stronger when he stands relatively still.

Did they speed up the tempo a bit.. or?
Chicago version clocked in about twenty seconds longer.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 30, 2021 23:38

Ghost Town WAS the highlight last night….Sad only that so many decided to take a break on that number… it was really really well done… the band likes the tune you could tell.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 31, 2021 00:31

How was Keith’s lead on Connection?

Date: October 31, 2021 01:18

Maindefender

Here you go:

video: [youtu.be]

First the introductions, then comes Connection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-31 01:26 by waterrats.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 31, 2021 02:41

waterrats
Maindefender

Here you go:

video: [youtu.be]

First the introductions, then comes Connection.

Very nice solo by Keith there, I guess if he sucked the IORR world would have exploded. Thanks for sharing..smileys with beer

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: October 31, 2021 05:23

Did anyone else notice that when Keith, Mick and Ronnie took the final bow and turned to walk off stage there was no giant picture of Charlie on the screens like there was in St Louis and Charlotte? The screens immediately went to tongue and “see you soon”. When did they stop putting up the big picture of Charlie that the final 3 waved to as they walked off?

Date: October 31, 2021 05:48

Just curious: Does anyone know where the Stones stayed for the Tampa show?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 31, 2021 08:01

Chester
Just curious: Does anyone know where the Stones stayed for the Tampa show?

Was hearing they stayed in Orlando, not sure.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: October 31, 2021 12:17

We all chanted Charlie Charlie in the beginning the crowd was fire
G.admission was wild

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home