Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Marc Bolan moving from hippie to glam
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 29, 2021 15:59

That was a short move. All he needed was some plateau shoes and a bit of airing on Top of The Pops. -By this, betraying a whole movement and giving birth to Glam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-29 15:59 by noughties.

Re: OT: Marc Bolan moving from hippie to glam
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 29, 2021 16:05

Did you see Slade pre Glam... when they were a Skinhead band ?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 29, 2021 16:16

Spud
Did you see Slade pre Glam... when they were a Skinhead band ?

No, the whole picture has probably some odd spots here and there.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 29, 2021 19:01

noughties
That was a short move. All he needed was some plateau shoes and a bit of airing on Top of The Pops. -By this, betraying a whole movement and giving birth to Glam.
And thank the Lord he did. Then he gave us a couple of the greatest lps ever made.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 29, 2021 19:26

drwatts
noughties
And thank the Lord he did. Then he gave us a couple of the greatest lps ever made.

When I first bought it, and knew little of T Rex, I thought Electric Warrior was a greatest hits album. I guess sort of like buying Sticky Fingers as your first Stones album, and not understanding the catalogue.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 29, 2021 19:57

noughties

Betraying who/what??? Naaah! And the move took a little more than just changing clothes. It was a radical musical/artistic change from Tyrannosaurus Rex to T. Rex - from hippie-esque acoustic psychedelic folk duo to the full-blown four-piece Rock'n Roll outfit T. Rex that also added Soul influences in their later stuff.

Marc Bolan was a genius. A musical chameleon. Absolutely on par with his close friend David Bowie. Who knows what would have followed if he had not died in this tragical car crash in '77.

And it needs to be said that this glam thing also influenced the appearance of our beloved Stones considerably in 1973/1974. "It's Only Rock'n Roll" has a lot in common with "Get It On/Bang A Gong", while both borrowed heavily from 50's Rock'n Roll and Chuck Berry-style riffs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-29 20:05 by retired_dog.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 29, 2021 20:08

And the song, "The Slider." One of the raunchiest, sleaziest riffs (and guitar tones) ever. Puts the roll in rock n roll. Pure perfection! smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-29 20:10 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 30, 2021 02:57

NashvilleBlues
And the song, "The Slider." One of the raunchiest, sleaziest riffs (and guitar tones) ever. Puts the roll in rock n roll. Pure perfection! smoking smiley

Buick Mackane gets my vote for best riff on that album. He had a knack for the raunchy riff.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: October 30, 2021 03:59

Keep a little Marc in your heart. Love him

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 30, 2021 06:34

He was actually electric before Tyrannosaurus Rex as the guitarist and songwriter for the underground group John's Children. They had a minor hit with the Bolan penned 'Desdemona'. He was one of the all time great rockers.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: October 30, 2021 08:44

T. Rex appearing on the UK’s weekly music chart TV show “Top Of The Pops” started off glam rock with the single “Hot Love” in March 1971. With a touch of glitter.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 30, 2021 08:57

I followed Tyrannosaurus Rex around the country because I loved them, the spareness and intensity of the two-piece (must be why I ended up loving the White Stripes!). I even saw them when their support act was David Bowie as a mime, along with a sitarist. John Peel was often on hand.

Then Hot Love hit big, they took off and I still followed T. Rex around and the shows were great but it wasn't as intimate or, oddly, as intense, just louder. Sacrilege, but my heart still belonged to Tyrannosaurus Rex. But it's all still a part of my youth I remember very fondly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2021 09:26

Hey thats cooool .... great memories ta have ...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 30, 2021 10:02

Aquamarine
I followed Tyrannosaurus Rex around the country because I loved them, the spareness and intensity of the two-piece (must be why I ended up loving the White Stripes!). I even saw them when their support act was David Bowie as a mime, along with a sitarist. John Peel was often on hand.

Then Hot Love hit big, they took off and I still followed T. Rex around and the shows were great but it wasn't as intimate or, oddly, as intense, just louder. Sacrilege, but my heart still belonged to Tyrannosaurus Rex. But it's all still a part of my youth I remember very fondly.

His best songwriting was with Tyrannosaurus Rex in my opinion.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 30, 2021 10:56

I really love the string of hits T.Rex had. Electric Warrior and The Slider have been on my shopping list for far too long.

Marc, bless him. All he ever really wanted was to be number 1 and appear on Top of the Pops. I don’t think his aspirations grew any deeper, musically-speaking.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 30, 2021 12:01

treaclefingers
drwatts
noughties

When I first bought it, and knew little of T Rex, I thought Electric Warrior was a greatest hits album. I guess sort of like buying Sticky Fingers as your first Stones album, and not understanding the catalogue.

I bought Sticky Fingers as my first album aged 12 in spring of 1971 and Electric Warrior as my second in autumn of the same year. Guess I did pretty well!

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 30, 2021 13:30

But ya cant forget the late great Steve Took- Tony Visconti has some interesting observations...

[www.youtube.com]

Steve doing his thang....

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 30, 2021 14:52

Paddy
NashvilleBlues

Buick Mackane gets my vote for best riff on that album. He had a knack for the raunchy riff.

Good call. I’ll stick with The Slider, but Buick Mackane is right there.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2021 21:23

rebelrebel
treaclefingers
drwatts
noughties

I bought Sticky Fingers as my first album aged 12 in spring of 1971 and Electric Warrior as my second in autumn of the same year. Guess I did pretty well!

Indeed. An amazing year in music.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 31, 2021 02:03

Aquamarine

Great memories indeed! I still have a soft spot for Tyrannosaurus Rex to this very day, and when I dig out one of their albums for listening, I often end up listening to them the whole day... They simply create a special mood and atmosphere.

Here's another great story that my old friend Brian James of Damned and Lords Of The New Church fame once told me:

In 1977, The Damned toured the UK as support act for T. Rex and the musicians shared the same tour bus on their way back to London. After one gig with almost non-existing catering the musicians and their entourage were starving, so Bolan had the bus stopped at the sight of a pub. Turned out it was closed, but that did not stop Bolan to ring the door because there was still some light inside the pub. The owner opened the door just a bit, only to yell out "Look at the clock! We're closed!" Bolan replied: "This is Marc Bolan here! Marc Bolan from the T. Rex band, maybe you know me!" The pub owner replied: "Listen, I'm a huge T. Rex fan so don't f**k around with me!" But, obviously curious, he opened the door in full, only to look straight in the face of Marc - and nearly got a heart attack... Of course, he let everybody in, he and his wife (who had already gone to bed and was a T. Rex fan, too!) cooked meals for everybody and the party went on for hours...
Finally, Bolan insisted to pay the bill for everybody, even for The Damned and their people, despite the initial offer from the pub owner "free call for everybody"...

Imagine you own a pub and the Stones ring at your door at night...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-31 02:14 by retired_dog.

Date: October 31, 2021 02:20

Great story!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 31, 2021 07:45

I'd stopped following them by that time, but I'd have loved to have seen T. Rex with the Damned!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-31 07:47 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 31, 2021 14:52

noughties

I hear you. I felt the same way about Motley Crue when Theater of Pain came out in 1985.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home