Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Snap, Crackle and What?
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: October 27, 2021 22:26

In news just in, ABKCO have recently asserted their right to the Kellogg’s Rice Krispies jingle recorded by the Stones In 1964.

I think it is unlikely to make them a fortune...

Re: Snap, Crackle and What?
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 27, 2021 22:38

I've got a copy of that on 45 vinyl somewhere.

It was a B-side? Must dig it out some time.

And Pop ..... ( not Rock - or Roll ) Rhythm might work well there - should Mick ever get the rights and wish to record new vocals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-27 22:41 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 27, 2021 23:18

Four Stone Walls

And Pop ..... ( not Rock - or Roll ) Rhythm might work well there - should Mick ever get the rights and wish to record new vocals.

It was only ever a jingle for a British television advertisement for Rice Crispies; recorded at a time when they probably needed the money. It dates from ‘63, so the Come On 45rpm may have been their only commercial release at this point.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 27, 2021 23:25

Four Stone Walls

Now THAT would be an interesting thing to see. When you find it, show us photo's of it!!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 28, 2021 00:31

It was also written by Brian I believe. On one of my Stones videos or dvd's, the commercial is on there, can't remember which one it's on though.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: October 28, 2021 00:48

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 28, 2021 02:59

Klein must have put together the most iron-clad deal ever. You'd think that with all the money the Stones have they could have hired a legal team savvy enough to break that contract all these years later.

Date: October 28, 2021 07:37

According to Nico, recorded Feb 6 in London, written by Brian and J. Walter Thompson. So if ABKCO takes ownership, this would be the first Stones song written by Brian, apart from Nanker Phelge compositions.

Date: October 28, 2021 08:47

"J. Walter Thompson" was an ad agency. So it actually must have been an unnamed copywriter who was working on the Kelloggs account.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 28, 2021 08:55

I remember watching this ad on TV and thinking that sounds just like the Rolling Stones, but they couldn't possibly be doing an ad for a cereal, they're not that kind of band. grinning smiley (Or in those days, I'd have said group.) It wouldn't have occurred to me to think that emerging bands need cash infusions, etc.

Date: October 28, 2021 09:10

Aquamarine
emerging bands need cash infusions, etc.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 28, 2021 09:38

Wow, Great Shakes! Yardbirds, Spencer Davis band and The Who! The Who sell out!smiling smiley

More recently, look at how much Bob Seger must have made with Chevy using Like A Rock! Chevy also used Back In Black for a commercial, I remember Angus saying they were going to use a song that sounded like it so they might as well get paid.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: October 28, 2021 11:17

Snap, crackle, explode. grinning smiley
The name of a band at my high school, back then.
Didn‘t make it big…Probably most OT, sorry.

Date: October 28, 2021 11:40

Big Al
Four Stone Walls

It was only ever a jingle for a British television advertisement for Rice Crispies; recorded at a time when they probably needed the money. It dates from ‘63, so the Come On 45rpm may have been their only commercial release at this point.

I think it's on my french version of Come On - or maybe Carol.

Will try and find it.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: October 28, 2021 14:13

I do not believe it was ever officially released on vinyl.
There may be two different versions that were made but even if you joined them together they probably would only run for about 60 seconds......not long enough even for a 1960s vinyl B side.

Remember that communication was not like it is today and these jingles were not used for very long. As the Stones fame took off these jingles were quickly and quietly forgotten as they certainly did not fit the rebellious image that the Stones were riding on.

If any one has a vinyl with the jingle on I would be very surprised if it was made at the time.

It will be interesting to find out.

Date: October 28, 2021 15:27

Very sorry - I maybe thinking of ' There are only 5 Rolling Stones'.- though I can't remember what that was on either.

My singles - I can't get access to them till December.

Will check fully then.

Date: October 28, 2021 18:38

DGA35
look at how much Bob Seger must have made with Chevy using Like A Rock!

As I remember, Seger let Chevy use "Like A Rock" for FREE--at least initially. The domestic auto industry was on the ropes at the time, and being from Detroit, he wanted to support and promote Chevy to help his fans stay on the job.

When the Against The Wind album came out in 1980, he insisted that Capitol also put it out on 8-Track (a format which by that time was being abandoned) because he said he knew a lot of people in Detroit who drove old cars and still hadn't switched over to cassette yet.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 28, 2021 18:57

loog droog
DGA35
look at how much Bob Seger must have made with Chevy using Like A Rock!

As I remember, Seger let Chevy use "Like A Rock" for FREE--at least initially. The domestic auto industry was on the ropes at the time, and being from Detroit, he wanted to support and promote Chevy to help his fans stay on the job.

When the Against The Wind album came out in 1980, he insisted that Capitol also put it out on 8-Track (a format which by that time was being abandoned) because he said he knew a lot of people in Detroit who drove old cars and still hadn't switched over to cassette yet.

Nah, Seger didn't do it for free, but he did support it because it helped the local workers and economy.

"I was offered 10 times as much money as I got from Chevrolet from beer companies and things like that, and I turned it down. My idea was to help my local state economy. And that's what John [Mellencamp] does with the farmers. And you can say, 'Yeah, but John doesn't get paid for that, and I did.' Nevertheless, that's what it took to make me do it." Colleen Fitzpatrick, November, 1991 (?), Detroit News. "Pop artist's ad is rock solid."
[www.segerfile.com]

Date: October 29, 2021 13:28

ABKCO are apparently claiming the jingle to be "probably" a Jagger/Richard composition (sorry Brian and JWT)

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 29, 2021 14:09

johnnythunders
In news just in, ABKCO have recently asserted their right to the Kellogg’s Rice Krispies jingle recorded by the Stones In 1964.

Cite the source of this claim.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 29, 2021 14:23

johnnythunders
ABKCO are apparently claiming the jingle to be "probably" a Jagger/Richard composition (sorry Brian and JWT)

Be interested in the source for this as well.. winking smiley

Where ya getting the info? Curious about it now.
Rice Krispies should do a throwback ad with it..

Date: October 29, 2021 15:05

Yes, and instead of the cartoon characters Snap, Crackle and Pop we can have a video of Keith, Michael and Ron getting wildly excited while eating their favourite breakfast cereal.

Hmmm, a whole album of breakfast cereal jingles.

Where's Brian when you need him?

Date: October 29, 2021 15:25

MisterDDDD
johnnythunders

Be interested in the source for this as well.. winking smiley

Where ya getting the info? Curious about it now.
Rice Krispies should do a throwback ad with it..

It happened when we registered the songwriting credits for this release

[www.discogs.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home