Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote - New unique book out now
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 28, 2022 13:55

Friends -
Adding to the good news this spring of the IORR band getting together, of Matt´s Museum, the SIXTY tour, El Mocambo and more…. I am happy to say:

The adventure continues!
Due to popular demand, the Nellcote Chronicles returns in an unnumbered small batch, a second print called "the Silver Edition".

To honour those loving creatures who purchased the numbered first edition (the GOLD edition), I wanted to make this one visually different.
The SILVER edition thus comes in a deep blue design with silver foil.

Nellcote is in the news a lot these days and I thought about updating the last chapter of the book. The current owner, however, has not yet accepted an interview with me.
When I spoke with the family in January - just before the war - the future seemed bright, the villa was newly renovated (again!) and ready for the annual spring vacation.
But we know what happened and needless to say, the full story of the Russians at Nellcote is not yet ready to be told…

What does «The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote» include:
* A vast selection of rare and unpublished photos, maps, drawings and ephemera.
* Architect drawings of Nellcote – including the basement where The Rolling Stones recorded.
* The never-before-seen journal from the Titanic, written by one of Nellcote´s owners.
* The original Nellcote guestbook from World War I, published for the first time ever.
* Exceptional images of the German soldiers in Villefranche-sur-Mer during World War II.
* Private snapshots and colour slides of Nellcote in the post-war years.
* Georgia Bergman´s personal journal from 1971, offering a rare glimpse into the real chronology of the events at Villa Nellcote during the Stones stay.
* Mick McKenna´s custom-made technical drawings of The Rolling Stones Mobile in 1971.
* Images of the 1971 Nellcote phonebook, displaying the names and numbers of the power players and celebrities visiting the villa.
* The Nellcote Chronicles offers new interviews and exclusive contributions from the 1971 Stones entourage: Marlon Richards, photographer Dominique Tarlé, author Robert Greenfield, Stones office administrator Georgia Bergman, record producer Robin Millar, artist Stanislas Klossowski de Rola, Nellcote chef Gérard Mosiniak, Rolling Stones Records´ European Label Manager Trevor Churchill, International Label Manager at WEA France Dominic Lamblin, Stage and Lighting Technician Bruce Byall, as well as the siblings Jake and Charley Weber.
* Contributing museums and art collections: Sotheby´s New York, Arts et Métiers Paris, New York Public Library, New Orleans Historical Collections, Staatsarchive Zurich, Swiss Federal Archives Bern, National Bibliothèque France, Military Archive Freiburg, Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum Jerusalem.

«The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote» is available for NOK 499/49€ from: www.nellcotechronicles.com
and … convenient if you live in the EU… La Galerie de L´Instant in Paris/Nice.

See you soon, on tour!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-04 10:31 by RobberBride.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 28, 2022 17:11

As a proud owner and reader of the Gold Edition, I'll thoughtfully add this:

If you have not purchased this book yet...you MUST. Do it now.

I had no idea that the story of an address, this house, this villa and its various owners could be so intriguing! Geir is a fabulous writer and the journey truly draws the reader into the legend of Nellcote. I expected to only be interested in the Keith-angle of this story and was pleasantly surprised while learning the entire history of the area and the home lovingly presented here in this book.

RobberBride, you are an archivist, a documentarian, an investigative reporter, an historian and a Rolling Stones fan all rolled up into one wickedly smart author. Well done. What a gem!

Date: April 28, 2022 17:20

Totally agree with everything you have said, Kurt!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 28, 2022 17:45

I somehow missed this thread completely first time around. Would have loved a first edition. Will add the 2nd edition to my list of things needed to buy still!! Looks fantastic!

Date: April 28, 2022 21:57

Kurt
RobberBride, you are an archivist, a documentarian, an investigative reporter, an historian and a Rolling Stones fan all rolled up into one wickedly smart author. Well done. What a gem!

Wow Kurt and Manofwealthandtaste thank you so much. You are very kind. I don´t have words.
It has been an incredibly fun project to do and even better to know it hit home smiling smiley

In the days to follow I´ll try to dig up some stuff or stories from the project that did not make the cut. There were so many mysteries to resolve!

VoodooLounge13, please PM me -

Posted by: willnash ()
Date: April 29, 2022 02:22

Having conceived and edited Tarle’s Exile and am one of two dedicatees in Greenfield’s “Exile - season in hell” book I thought that I knew a fair bit about the period but Girs book is absolutely sensational.

The period covering the Stones is of interest but is really a side-show to the full history of the house. It is books like these that should be bought and loved as they are a rare thing as it will have cost time and treasure for the author.

I cannot recommend it highly enough to any lovers of limited edition books, Rolling Stones fans and the not inconsiderable followers of the history of the Côte d’Azur during the occupation. In my opinion the most interesting book with a Stones angle published in the last 10 years.

William Nash

Date: April 30, 2022 17:16

willnash

I cannot recommend it highly enough to any lovers of limited edition books, Rolling Stones fans and the not inconsiderable followers of the history of the Côte d’Azur during the occupation. In my opinion the most interesting book with a Stones angle published in the last 10 years.

William Nash

Oh, wow, and from the legendary Will Nash. The EXILE book... don´t get me started...and the STU book is a pure class act too. Two mammoth productions.
I really hope you are cooking on something magical these days and if so, I´ll be in a sleeping bag in line to get it!

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: May 4, 2022 21:31

Today I received an incredible gift from Geir Hørnes
The wonderful book "The Curious Chronicles Of Villa Nellcote".

Date: May 5, 2022 06:35

That’s awesome Urban!!!

I managed to find a first edition copy myself and am so ecstatic awaiting its arrival from across the pond!!!

Thanks Robbersbride!!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 5, 2022 16:29

Great that it's on to a second printing! thumbs up

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: May 6, 2022 06:20

RobberBride, did you ask Dominique if he still has the cameras he used to take the Nellcote photos with?

Date: May 9, 2022 04:53

My first edition arrived from France yesterday, and surprisingly, it was even signed by Geir, which I was NOT expecting! I was so excited to see this, it made my day even more special! I can't wait to start reading it!! Thanks so much Geir!!! It truly is a beautiful book!!

Date: May 9, 2022 10:32

Thank you so much VoodooLounge13! Yes, I did sign the books in Paris my last time there, and I will do the Silver Editions when I return in July. Glad you liked it!

@Keefgotsoul: Intriguing question, isn´t it? I remember I asked Dom if he still had his camera a few years back and I remember he laughed and said he either had lost it or it was stolen? Can´t remember exactly which of the two, though. I will check next time I see him, and get back to you smiling smiley I do remember he cleared up one common mistake about him having two cameras. He only had one. He did not, like press photographers, carry one camera loaded with one filmtype around his neck, whilst shooting with another. Instead he did what any "normal" 23 year-old would; he shot one (lets say...) expensive black and white film roll out before changing to color.
Dominique did shoot with two different lenses though. Most of his wonderful material is shot with the standard wide-angle lens (35mm), and a few portraits with the 85mm "tele-lens".

The "La Villa" exhibition that ran in Paris this winter opens in the picturesque town of St Rémy de Provence in three days, on May 12th! Vernissage on May 19th with Dominique.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 9, 2022 16:37

Nothing better than seeing the mailman carrying a box up the driveway! Until you start to open the box to find…

A massive, much anticipated book…gift wrapped, no less!

…with a lovely inscription (leading to the realization you don’t have to cram it in luggage and schlep it to London for signing!)…

Then, when industriously breaking the box down for recycling, finding a lovely drawing on the back! (Also saved for posterity!)

Many thanks Geir! I will get a hernia reading it, and will treasure the hernia nearly as much as the lovely, massive book! Summer reading sorted!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-09 16:49 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 9, 2022 16:52

thumbs up

Date: May 9, 2022 17:19

Very cool, STG!!!! Honestly, I was amazed at how fast it arrived from France to the US (Connecticut) - all in less than a week's time, after confirming that it would indeed be the coveted first edition!!!

Date: May 10, 2022 04:23

Thanks for the info RobberBride! Anyone know what this is to the right of Jagger on the small tripod? Is it possibly an 8mm video camera?

[i.postimg.cc]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2022 05:46

Yikes. A bit pricey to get to SE Louisiana.

Date: May 10, 2022 10:31

keefgotsoul
Thanks for the info RobberBride! Anyone know what this is to the right of Jagger on the small tripod? Is it possibly an 8mm video camera?

[i.postimg.cc]

It is the camera sending images to the producer/engineer in the Mobile, parked outside the villa. Andy Johns said the camera was state-of-the-art at the time, but often malfunctioned.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 10, 2022 12:49

"...@Keefgotsoul: Intriguing question, isn´t it? I remember I asked Dom if he still had his camera a few years back and I remember he laughed and said he either had lost it or it was stolen? Can´t remember exactly which of the two, though. I will check next time I see him, and get back to you..."

Hi G, I second the demand, I will be glad to know as well and congrats for the second run indeed thumbs up

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 18:14 by Honestman.

Date: May 10, 2022 17:25

GasLightStreet

I'd imagine it's the same price as getting to Southwestern Connecticut from across the pond? Worth the price my fine sir. One of my favorite non-music Stones-related items that I own, I must say.

Date: May 11, 2022 07:08

Thank you again for the details RobberBride, much appreciated!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 11, 2022 07:37

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet

I'd imagine it's the same price as getting to Southwestern Connecticut from across the pond? Worth the price my fine sir. One of my favorite non-music Stones-related items that I own, I must say.

It comes out to roughly $78. It is something I am interested in. LOL I just don't recall ever spending that much on shipping for a book! I'll have a better idea towards the end of May.

Date: May 11, 2022 20:46

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet

It comes out to roughly $78. It is something I am interested in. LOL I just don't recall ever spending that much on shipping for a book! I'll have a better idea towards the end of May.

Oh wow, I guess it is more to go that extra way Southwest! Was only about $67 all-in to CT.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 11, 2022 21:05

I am only half way into the book and loving it!

It even made me curious to investigate the history of my own old house ...

Geir, truly love your writing stile: informative, but also very entertaining. Not easy to give a passionate account of a research in a French cadastre office

Only minor complaints I have are: I find it difficult to read the print on color pages (but probably I am the one to blame, as I don't want to accept the fact that I need glasses), the blue cover of the second edition looks better than the green one and there is no autobio note on the author!

One day we will have to share a (couple) of beers!

C

Date: June 9, 2022 19:47

I promised some outtakes from the Nellcote book….
Lets start with Nellcote in … colors!
This photo is from around 1902, and originally shot in black and white. The colors were added as an idea for the book, but not included.
Villefranche-sur-Mer lies in the distance across the bay. Pauline Thomas (the daughter of the first owner) can be seen posing on the terrace.

Thanks, Honestman smiling smiley

Date: June 9, 2022 19:57

Very cool!!!

Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: June 9, 2022 20:36

Great book glad to own it.

Date: June 9, 2022 20:55

perkmo
Great book glad to own it.

+1

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: June 10, 2022 14:27

I have just ordered it and am looking forward to read the history of this house.
I am in France now and there are so many of these interesting buildings and always wonders whats going on behind those freontdoors.

(Always took candy from strangers)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home