Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote - New unique book out now
Date: October 27, 2021 14:05

Our RobberBride launched his brilliant book, «The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote» at the Tattoo You release party in Oslo on Tuesday.

The book tells the story of a single villa on the French Riviera, from its conception in 1899 until 1974. It is the result of six years of research, told through unknown photos, private journals and family archives.

Dominic Tarle has contributed and there are (for us) new, unseen photos in the book.

You can't go wrong with this one - it's a beauty (way too cheap, though)! 85 percent of the fans thought so, too, and ordered it on the spot yesterday.

Congrats with your excellent work, RobberBride! It's nothing but impressive. I couldn't put the book down after the party yesterday.

Here are some pictures and a video from last night (video in Norwegian).

RobberBride (in the middle) talks about the making of the book, with Stones experts Bård Ose (left) and Jørgen Roll.

A good turnout for a 50 year old album with some bonus material.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-27 17:46 by bv.

Re: RobberBride's book launch at Tattoo You release party in Oslo last night
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 27, 2021 14:37

So glad you all had a good time DP, and the book certainly sounds like a good read. smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 27, 2021 14:37

A cool looking and sounding book! The subject really is a worth of a tale. Great job!

Also great that you had TATTOO YOU release party over there. Besides the book relaese, what else there was going on? I am just curious...

- Doxa

Date: October 27, 2021 14:45

They played some songs from TY, LP2 and Wembley, gave some background on the recording of those etc. There was a quiz with nice prizes from Universal.

Two of the guys in the panel on stage are /were journalists, and they have met the Stones numerous times. So the obligatory stories were told, of course. I liked the one when Tim Ries insisted on sending Charlie Watts cloudberrys, during a dinner with journalist Terje Svabø. He did send Charlie a glass with cloudberrys, which Charlie really appreciated as he had never tasted them before.

There was also two other authors there, who gave us a report on the Stones book they're working on.

A nice night out, with good music, good beer (until the tap was empty) and great company smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-27 14:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 27, 2021 15:13

Sounds very interesting. Where to order the book?

Date: October 27, 2021 15:26

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 27, 2021 16:25

DandelionPowderman
They played some songs from TY, LP2 and Wembley, gave some background on the recording of those etc. There was a quiz with nice prizes from Universal.

Two of the guys in the panel on stage are /were journalists, and they have met the Stones numerous times. So the obligatory stories were told, of course. I liked the one when Tim Ries insisted on sending Charlie Watts cloudberrys, during a dinner with journalist Terje Svabø. He did send Charlie a glass with cloudberrys, which Charlie really appreciated as he had never tasted them before.

There was also two other authors there, who gave us a report on the Stones book they're working on.

A nice night out, with good music, good beer (until the tap was empty) and great company smiling smiley

Thanks DP, looks like a great time and a great book smileys with beer

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 27, 2021 16:42

Thank you Dandelion!

Re: The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote - New unique book out now
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 27, 2021 17:51

The book "The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote" is simply a masterpiece!

I don't have the book physically, but I have been reading a full pdf version of it, while on tour. It's simply amazing, detailed, very interesting, lots of Stones contents of course. Great unique pictures.

Too bad I am busy on the tour, otherwise I would have been at the event in Oslo, also I would have had the book in my hands, you simply have to have such a great book physically, and read it page by page, pictures, stories, details.

You can see this is a book made by many years of research and hard work. It is for sure standing out among all other books around.

It is 1,000 copies printed, numbered. Highly recommended. I will make more information about the book available here on IORR soon.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-27 18:18 by bv.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: October 27, 2021 18:02

Thanks for the heads up. I find the stories of this residence fascinating as well as Keith and Anita's time there. I am sad I will never be able to afford a copy of the Dominique Tarle masterpiece with those fabulous photos but this looks like a very interesting alternative.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 27, 2021 23:55

Hello everybody -
And thank you for the kind words DandelionPowderMan and BV!

It is true! The book-project inspired by the IORR forum, "The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote", finally arrived from the printer yesterday.
I think is looks wonderful! 400 pages, hardback, 22x25 cm.

Pricing:
Europe - NOK 399.- (about 39 euro) plus 18 euro shipping (it is 1.5 kilo/3.3 lb!)
US / The World: NOK 399.- (about 45 US dollars) plus about 27 dollars shipping.
(Please note that the purchase includes shipping and handling, but that your country may charge import duties, taxes and fees.)

Contact me on www.nellcotechronicles.com to reserve a book. Web-shop opens shortly!

About the project:

My way into the Nellcote story naturally centered around the Stones, and the cellar at Nellcote.
However, as I searched for the architect drawings of that famous basement, and met the different families having owned Nellcote, a much bigger story revealed itself - about the villa and all its extraordinary residents.
One drove the fundraising campaign for the Statue of Liberty. Another survived the Titanic catastrophe. A third worked, in secret, for both the Nazis and Allies during World War II.
And then there was Keith Richards …

The story of Villa Nellcote has taken me on an unusual and incredible journey on three continents. I hope you will enjoy it.

The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote includes:

• A vast selection of rare and unpublished photos, maps, drawings and ephemera from the villa 1899 - 1974.

• 50 specially selected photos from Dominique Tarle´s portfolio from Nellcote in 1971.

• Architect drawings of Nellcote – including the basement where The Stones recorded tracks for «Exile on Main St.»

• The original Nellcote guestbook from World War I, reproduced for the first time ever.

• The never-before-seen journal from the Titanic catastrophe, written by one of Nellcote´s owners.

• Exceptional images of the German soldiers in Villefranche-sur-Mer during World War II.

• Georgia Bergman´s personal journal from 1971, offering a rare glimpse into the real chronology of the events at Villa Nellcote during the Stones stay.

• Mick McKenna´s custom-made technical drawings of The Rolling Stones Mobile visiting Nellcote in 1971.

• The 1971 Nellcote phonebook, displaying the names and numbers of the power players and celebrities visiting the villa.

• The book offers new interviews and exclusive contributions from the 1971 Stones entourage: Marlon Richards, photographer Dominique Tarlé, author Robert Greenfield, Stones office administrator Georgia Bergman, record producer Robin Millar, artist Stanislas Klossowski de Rola, Nellcote chef Gérard Mosiniak, Rolling Stones Records´ European Label Manager Trevor Churchill, International Label Manager at WEA France Dominic Lamblin, Stage and Lighting Technician Bruce Byall, as well as the siblings Jake and Charley Weber.

• Contributing museums and art collections: Sotheby´s New York, Arts et Métiers Paris, New York Public Library, New Orleans Historical Collections, Staatsarchive Zurich, Swiss Federal Archives Bern, National Bibliothèque France, Military Archive Freiburg, Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum Jerusalem.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-03 21:12 by RobberBride.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: October 28, 2021 05:29

Congrats!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 28, 2021 07:05

Looks amazing!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 28, 2021 18:51

Congratulations on your new book, Robberbride. I hope you'll sell everyone one of them!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 28, 2021 19:16

RobberBride

• Exceptional images of the German soldiers in Villefranche-sur-Mer during World War II.

Tarle once said when they arrived at Nellcote they explored the (now) legendary basement and they discovered big wooden crates with swastikas on them left here 27 years before. Everything was dumped into the sea (sorry Sea Shephards!) by Dt and another man (Jim Price?)

Robber, may I suggest you get in touch with Tarle French gallery?
[www.lagaleriedelinstant.com]

I'm quite positive people who have an interest in his pictures also might very well want to buy your book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-28 19:18 by dcba.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 28, 2021 21:54

so cool gonna get me one when i can afford it (my limited funds go to tattoo you at the moment)
in the meantime i'll put in a request that my library buy it beyond the fascinating stones content i know a couple of frankophile patrons and librarians who would die to read it just for the obscure french history

thanks for your hard work

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 28, 2021 22:41

-And Led Zeppelin used another old building, Headley Grange, about the same time...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 29, 2021 08:42

I don't know how I missed this thread, but the book (and the event!) look awesome! I only wish I could order before I'm next in Europe! Thanks DP, and congrats RobberBride!! hot smiley

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 29, 2021 10:34

Hi G,

and at last comes the book !
It look great.winking smileythumbs up

HMN

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 29, 2021 14:30

Just bought it on the site! Looking forward to reading it!

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: October 30, 2021 12:32

Just ordered it as well.Order number 268 so selling well.Early Christmas present from me to me.
Could you sign mine Robber?

P.S. my name is Doug NOT Cooheid!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-30 12:34 by cooheid.

Posted by: Haag ()
Date: October 30, 2021 17:37

Congrats, that looks very nice indeed. Just ordered mine at number 272. Can you please sign it? Thanks in advance.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 30, 2021 18:00

Ordered...thanx for link...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 30, 2021 20:13

Looks fantastic.

Date: October 31, 2021 21:28

Thanks a lot for the praise, everybody.
What an amazing and supportive gang you are!

I shipped copies to ten different countries Friday and Saturday. Some more goes out Monday morning. Will sign the copies smiling smiley

Supposedly the Covid situation still affects the number of flights carrying mail, so I ship the same day I receive the order, to get the books to you as soon as I can.

Robberbride

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 31, 2021 21:53

Does Keith Richards get a copy?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 31, 2021 23:41

z
Does Keith Richards get a copy?

that's an interesting question did you reach out to the band when you where writing the book and did anyone in the band request a copy

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 1, 2021 00:07

Without even reading it, it sounds like such a labour of love. Congrats RB!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: November 1, 2021 06:14

How is it shipping?

I cannot proceed with an order until I know.

I live in a country where local postal service mail never arrives, and is probably stolen.

If it is going to ship expedited carrier (UPS, DHL, Fedex) then I might place an order, but there are further complications.

The webpage assumes the "credit card country" is the same as the "shipping to country".

My credit cards are USA credit cards, however I do not live in the USA, but rather in the country where postal service mail never arrives and is stolen, mentioned above.

If I find out it ships expedited carrier (UPS, DHL, Fedex) I might give it a
try, even though the webpage is making previous assumptions that are not correct for all people.

Date: November 1, 2021 10:01

Chacho
How is it shipping?
I live in a country where local postal service mail never arrives, and is probably stolen.

Chacho, please drop me a line on my mail (click on my username to find address) smiling smiley
We´ll figure something out.

- Robberbride

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home