Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Questions about RS horns
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 26, 2021 00:18

I have post a similar thread [iorr.org] but it's quite old, so I prefer stick to the IORR rule and leave old stuff in the attic

So, some questions

. How define "listening" effect of going from 2 saxophone + 1 trumpet + 1 trombone to an all saxophone section with two different sax (including one tenor)? Can one explain their respective parts in a song, for instance, Bitch ? The best answer would be isolated track for each horn

. Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour 1989/1990: : The Stones hired an entire, preexisting section ( Uptown Horns).Maybe it's easier to manage, and also to negociate prices spinning smiley sticking its tongue outI read somewhere that Voodoo Lounge Tour 1994/1995 and Bridges to Babylon Tour 1997/1998 also featured preexisting sections, with the exception of Bobby Keyes, who, I guess, was the leader of the pack

. The latter assumption leads to the need, or the absence of thereof, to have a "leader" /maestro horn who writes the arrangements for the whole horn section. Was it Bobby Keys in his time? Could it be now the task of Matt Clifford, who is now a sort of co-musical director with Chuck Leavell?

Re: Questions about RS horns
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 26, 2021 00:36

The involvement of the horn section in general has been greatly reduced from 2012 on. The arrangements at the end of the warhorses are gone except for Tumbling Dice. Satisfaction, BS, JJF all had those, even SFTD in 1999. Sounded like pretty standard showbiz stuff that probably wasn't embraced by all fans. Tim Ries probably was in charge of arranging that

Date: October 26, 2021 17:24

Nikkei
The involvement of the horn section in general has been greatly reduced from 2012 on. The arrangements at the end of the warhorses are gone except for Tumbling Dice. Satisfaction, BS, JJF all had those, even SFTD in 1999. Sounded like pretty standard showbiz stuff that probably wasn't embraced by all fans. Tim Ries probably was in charge of arranging that

True
Had to search a bit to remember arrangements in the last three decades

Satisfaction

Five-horn section in 1990, then no more horns
[youtu.be]

JJF

Not sure about 1990 – Could be keyboards?
[youtu.be]

Then horns from 1994 to 2006

JJF – 1994 (impressive big band, adventurous horns arrangements)
[youtu.be]

JJF 1998
[youtu.be]

JJF 2003
[youtu.be]

JJF - 2006
[www.youtube.com]

Since 2012, no horns
[youtu.be]

Couldn't find horns for SFTD

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 26, 2021 17:39

SFTD had it probably only when it was the last encore in 1999

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 26, 2021 18:44

I wish a talented musician like Andy Snitzer would have been able to shine
with the Stones like he does here with Paul Simon. Just listen to his solo here
(around the 2 minute mark):

Andy Snitzer solo

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 26, 2021 20:09

Andy Snitzer toured with the Stones between 1994 and 1998.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 26, 2021 20:35

I didn't mind the horn sections over the different years/decades, but in all truth I thought at some point (5 people including Bobby Keys) it was a bit over done. Good they "almost" returned to the basics. The sax is off course very essential in some songs and should stay.

cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: October 26, 2021 21:11

As for studio version, Exile on Main Street is surely the most horn-oriented album with horns on 80 % of the songs at least...

Much more than the four other LPs of Jimmy Miller tenure
- Beggars Banquet : no horns
- Let it Bleed : only Live with me?
- Sticky Fingers : BS, Bitch and I got the Blues
- GHS : Coming Down Again
(Just listed by memory, did't check)

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: October 27, 2021 03:10

The Joker
As for studio version, Exile on Main Street is surely the most horn-oriented album with horns on 80 % of the songs at least...

Much more than the four other LPs of Jimmy Miller tenure
- Beggars Banquet : no horns
- Let it Bleed : only Live with me?
- Sticky Fingers : BS, Bitch and I got the Blues
- GHS : Coming Down Again
(Just listed by memory, did't check)

Heartbreaker and Hide Your Love as well on GHS, but yes, Exile is the main standout for horns.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 27, 2021 03:28

Always loved Trevor Lawrence on the 1973 You Can’t Always Get What You Want.Too bad Andy Snitzer or Tim Reis weren’t given a solo spotlight like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-27 03:29 by Taylor1.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 27, 2021 05:39

Nikkei

Paying travel + hotel + performance expenses for four Fedora hatted dudes, who get wheeled out to play Tumbling Dice and four other songs, is too expensive for Mick and his accountants. These days you get two saxophones and some synthesized sounds, and it sounds just as good. Just as Las Vegas residency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-27 05:41 by triceratops.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1482
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home