Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Minneapolis show live updates - Sunday 24-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 25, 2021 06:39

Green Lady
That Youtube link is running John Heminger's FB feed - it gets as far as the start of YCAGWYW and stops where he did, then goes back to the start again.

well - I'm just listening to Miss You ... so it doesn't stop with YC...

Strange indeed ...

Re: Minneapolis show live updates - Sunday 24-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 25, 2021 06:43

I think he's using people's FB feeds as his source. Let's see if it stops after Miss You where Rick's FB broadcast ended.

Date: October 25, 2021 06:47

Green Lady
I think he's using people's FB feeds as his source. Let's see if it stops after Miss You where Rick's FB broadcast ended.

You're right! It changes position and sound, so that's not possible, had it been really live.

Date: October 25, 2021 06:47

Green Lady

Yes, it did.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 25, 2021 06:50

Goodnight everyone. Thanks as always, Green Lady.

Date: October 25, 2021 06:50

Doesn't look as if we are getting any more tonight. Well, at least we got Monkey Man and Fool To Cry - hope for some Youtube videos with better sound tomorrow.
Goodnight.

Date: October 25, 2021 06:51

Here we go:

Street Fighting Man
Let's Spend The Night Together
19th Nervous Breakdown
Tumbling Dice
Monkey Man (vote song)
Fool To Cry
You Can’t Always Get What You Want
Living In A Ghost Town
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Introductions
Connection
Before They Make Me Run
Miss You
Midnight Rambler
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Jumping Jack Flash
Encores
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction

Correct??

Date: October 25, 2021 06:51

And right on cue.. Gimme Shelter [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 25, 2021 06:52

Yup - gonna get some more sleep, it's 5:52 AM over here, hehehe

C ya!

Date: October 25, 2021 07:56

Ok so I was up in the front and I distinctly heard Mick say "we missed the whole @#$%& song"

So they either skipped something or shuffled the song order.

Anyone know this?

Posted by: RKH1981 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 08:00

My impression Mick was talking about forgetting about queueing up the song vote.

I've never seen Mick as loose as he was tonight. Seemed like was goofing around and having fun the whole time. The entire band was having a great time. They are amazing.

Date: October 25, 2021 08:04

keith minny

mick minny

Pics i took from end of catwalk in pit 2 tonight

Date: October 25, 2021 08:06

Forgot to add. Funniest moment was when Mick and Keith realized they were wearing the same shirt. I hope someone got a good picture of that!

Date: October 25, 2021 08:26

mick said something like “let’s hear it for the black pumas” and there was very little crowd response. he then said, to keith and/or the band, something like “they didn’t see it? they missed the whole black pumas set?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 25, 2021 09:13

What a great show! smileys with beer

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 25, 2021 09:16

from setlist.fm: 14. Midnight Rambler (with “Purple Rain” and " Hellhound on My Trail" snippets"

Purple Rain? Huh???

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 25, 2021 09:34

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 25, 2021 09:47

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 25, 2021 10:22

Monkey Man, view not great but good audio and came out alright for a song rarely played, better than some of the "usual suspects"...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 11:00 by gotdablouse.

Date: October 25, 2021 10:34

gotdablouse
Monkey Man, view not great but good audio and came out good for a song rarely played, better than some of the "usual suspects"...

Should be played every night - good one! thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 25, 2021 11:02

"Fool to Cry" up close here : [www.facebook.com]

Not bad but for some reason it sounded better in 2018 and Keith was a bit off just before Ronnie's solo.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 25, 2021 11:18

Monkey Man was fantastic, hoping for Live With Me at some point, what an amazing setlist last night /tour.hot smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 12:11 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 25, 2021 11:55

gotdablouse
"Fool to Cry" up close here : [www.facebook.com]

Not bad but for some reason it sounded better in 2018 and Keith was a bit off just before Ronnie's solo.

Agree, the London 2018 version was better.

Minneapolis - Sunday 24-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 25, 2021 13:18

Minnesota fans finally spend the night together with Rolling Stones at U.S. Bank Stadium

After a year-plus wait and the loss of drummer Charlie Watts, the 45,000 concertgoers wondered if it could be the last time.

By Chris Riemenschneider
October 24, 2021

Jerry Holt, Star Tribune

Many fans were still bummed about losing Charlie Watts, still flustered by the extra yearlong wait and still a wee bit worried about COVID safety at the Twin Cities' biggest concert since the pandemic began.

The ones who turned up at U.S. Bank Stadium for the Rolling Stones concert on Sunday night, however, shrugged off all those lingering concerns with the same mantra that has followed the legendary British band for 47 of its nearly 60-year career.

It's only rock 'n' roll, and, boy, do they still like it — maybe more than ever, in fact.

The turmoil and loss that preceded the long-awaited Stones concert probably kept some fans away. It was a rare case of the band not selling out the venue. But the 45,000 who did show up did so with smiles blazing and tongue-logos wagging.

"I'm a little nervous being here, but no way I was going to miss the Stones," said a masked-up PJ Kintop of Minneapolis, who first saw Mick Jagger & Co. in 1972 at the Met Center.

"Tonight will be a very emotional and powerful full-circle moment," Minneapolis rock vet Robert Wilkinson of Flamin' Oh's fame said. "These are my boys. They epitomize what a rock 'n' roll band should be."

As the Texan opening band Black Pumas started up the crowd at 7:30 p.m. — earning quite a rave reception by set's end — fans were still making their way through the crowded stadium concourse to stock up on beer and scoop up the $50 T-shirts. Among the shirts was a special Minneapolis edition featuring the city skyline and the Chain of Lakes reshaped like the band's iconic tongue logo.

No proof of vaccination or other COVID-related requirements were implemented at the concert, which made some fans nervous but others relieved.

"It was nice knowing the shots weren't required, or we wouldn't be here," said Sherry Vennes, an unvaccinated fan from Maple Lake. "Let everyone decide for themselves."

The Stones' 8:45 p.m. set time was preceded by a video tribute to Watts, their founding drummer who died of natural causes at age 80 in August. Even before his death, it had already been announced he would not be performing on the tour, and Steve Jordan — a longtime sideman to Stones guitarist Keith Richards and other legends — would be taking his place.

"It's sad, because Charlie felt like an old friend," said Parrel Caplan of Minneapolis, who was one of the less than 300 mostly teenage fans to catch the Stones' first Minnesota show at Excelsior's Danceland Ballroom in 1964.

"They all feel like old friends, though, so I still want to see the other ones."

Kent Mortimer, a veteran Twin Cities drummer, explained his mixed emotions this way: "Steve Jordan is probably the only drummer besides Charlie Watts who could be in the Stones."

Sunday's concert was the 12th time Jagger, Richards and crew have come to Minnesota on tour going back to that tepidly received, low-attended 1964 debut. Yes, kids, even the Stones had to work to get bigger and better.

The band's most recent stop at then-TCF Bank Stadium in 2015 was actually among its all-time best-received Twin Cities show. U.S. Bank Stadium's notoriously bouncy and muddy high-ceilinged acoustics were cited by many Stones fans for their aversion to attending Sunday — though bad sound is hardly a new thing when it comes to Stones' dates in Minneapolis.

"My concern with the sound quality is a result of my ongoing trauma of seeing them inside the Metrodome," said Mike Wiley of Minneapolis, who didn't attend the concert. He was referencing the group's three tour stops at the similarly muddled Dome from 1989 to 1997.

Attending his 10th Stones show, Jim Nethercut of White Bear Lake looked at 2015's concert as a peak performance — and thus he went into Sunday's gig with contentedly lowered expectations.

"I thought [2015] would be their last show here," Nethercut said, "so I'm looking at this one as frosting on the cake."

With the three remaining core Stones members (also including guitarist Ronnie Wood) just behind Watts in age, many fans wondered if this one really could be the band's last time in Minnesota.

Jeff Gilbertson of Barnum, Minn., brought his teenage daughter and son to the show at their request after he saw the band three times before without them.

"I think they recognize this as their one shot to see the Stones and they know will remember it for the rest of their lives," said Gilbertson. "Seeing it through their eyes [is] pretty awesome."

The Stones took the stage to the hard-charging riff of "Street Fighting Man" and followed with the appropriately inviting "Let's Spend the Night Together." Then Jagger directly greeted the crowd.

"Hello Twin Cities! Hi there, you Sotans!" the ever-spry frontman yelled, his coolness still palpable enough to forgive the fact no one ever calls us that.

Jagger also detailed a surprisingly cool itinerary from his extra days in town leading up to the show.

"I had two Jucy Lucys here: One at Matt's Bar and one at the 5-8 Club, washed down with a Grain Belt, Fulton and a Surly, finished off at Grumpy's Bar."

[www.startribune.com]

Date: October 25, 2021 13:22

Without Watts, Rolling Stones don't erupt often enough in Minneapolis

Usually Manic Mick Jagger paced himself at a good but not great performance at U.S. Bank Stadium

By Jon Bream
October 25, 2021

Jerry Holt, Star Tribune

The Rolling Stones didn't start us up with Keith Richards' snarling cut-to-the-bone guitar or Mick Jagger's mesmerizing look-at-me-now dancing.

Instead, the Stones opened Sunday's concert at U.S. Bank Stadium with the recorded drum track of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" accompanied by images on four vertical video screens of Charlie Watts, the band's forever drummer who died on Aug. 24. He famously played behind the beat, letting the music breathe and swing, but he was the heartbeat of the Stones.

After 30 seconds of Watts, Richards' rhythmic riffs kicked off the rebellious "Street Fighting Man," which was followed by two other blasts from the '60s, the poppy invitation "Let's Spend the Night Together" and the edgy "19th Nervous Breakdown." Then, it was time for Jagger to acknowledge what had been on every Stones fan's mind since this summer — Watts, 80.

"I just want to tell you this is our first tour in 59 years without having Charlie," announced an out of breath Jagger before playing "Tumbling Dice." "I'm sure you have your memories of Charlie. We'd like to dedicate this song to Charlie Watts."

Without dwelling on it or being overly sentimental, Jagger acknowledged Watts, the refined gentleman who brought swinging, jazz-informed rhythms to this blues-influenced rock band as well as an artful aesthetic, helping to design visuals and stages (including the current one).

Otherwise, it was business as usual for the world's greatest — and oldest and richest — rock 'n' roll band.

Over the course of 19 songs in 2 ¼ hours, the Stones cruised through their recorded heyday, 1965 to '81, with one new pandemic number, the too-dull-for-a-stadium "Living in a Ghost Town," tossed in.

Unlike some previous Stones stadium shows, this one didn't have miles of ramps and towering bridges on which Jagger could aerobicize. There was a runway, four giant video walls and a quick burst of fireworks at show's end. This hardly amounted to stadium-worthy spectacle, especially by Stones' or other uber-stars' standards.

Moreover, this performance lacked the overall excitement of the Stones' last Twin Cities gig, in 2015 at the Gophers football stadium, and the consistent energy of Jagger's return to the stage after heart valve surgery in 2019. That opening night in Chicago, he was on fire. Then last year, the Stones took a pandemic hiatus before returning to the road last month.

On Sunday, it wasn't Manic Mick but rather Pace-Myself-for-a-Marathon. At 78, he's still forever skinny and inexplicably ageless (he's eight months younger than President Joe Biden). Being a rock star is a fulltime job (even if he's averaging only 1.5 concerts a week), and he clearly puts in the work.

Jagger preened and pranced and shook his tail feather. He was in full peacock mode. He wore a black-and-purple diamond pattern jacket before changing into a series of colorful shirts and coats, including a full-length black-and-red sequined number for "Sympathy for the Devil."

Although he paced himself, he moved like Jagger, the rooster strut, the mincing steps, the catwalk sashay, a shimmy here, a shake of the booty there, frantic arms, wiggly hands, swivel hips, faux jumping jacks, a modified version of the Swim. Whew! It's exhilarating and exhausting watching him.

As he did last time in Minneapolis, Jagger dropped several local references including eating Jucy Lucy's at Matt's Bar and the 5-8 Club and washing them down with Grain Belt and Surly. He mentioned ending the night at Grumpy's Bar and playing the Stones' first Twin Cities gig at Danceland in Excelsior in 1964.

More significantly, though, he snuck in snippets of Prince lyrics into what turned out to be two of the night's highlights – "Miss You" ("I wish there was no Black or white," he quoted "Controversy" to the face of his bassist, Darryl Jones, who is Black) and the epic 12-minute "Midnight Rambler" (inserting "I only want to see you in the purple rain") featuring guitarist Ronnie Wood's serrated boogie.

While this could be the last time for the Stones live (of course, I wrote that in a 1975 concert review and next year's 60th anniversary tour is more of an expectation than a rumor), it was the first time for drummer Steve Jordan in Minnesota. At 64, he's a well-traveled percussionist (Eric Clapton, Stevie Nicks, John Mayer, Bruce Springsteen, Keith Richards) who played on the Stones 1986 LP "Dirty Work." On Sunday, he was more demonstrative and propulsive than Watts yet still precise and respectful.

Without Watts, the Stones have abandoned an intimate acoustic set at the end of their runway that was part of earlier shows on the current No Filter Tour, which started in 2017. They also eschewed a choir on "You Can't Always Get What You Want," a staple of many tours.

Except for the aforementioned highlights as well as the knockout encore of "Gimme Shelter" and an extended "Satisfaction," this performance didn't truly erupt like the best Stones shows usually do. In the end, this felt like just another good concert by a legendary band instead of a legendary event to tell your friends about.

[www.startribune.com]

Date: October 25, 2021 13:44

Well I hope we're not too messianic
Or a trifle too satanic
But we love to play the blues..

Thank you Minneapolis!

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 25, 2021 13:51

Perhaps Mick could change up a bit what he's saying about Charlie? He could say they're sad that he can't be with them or something. "first tour without Charlie" is beginning to sound to me a bit like part of their achievement-narrative... first time at Glastonbury, first show in Cuba, first tour without Charlie?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 25, 2021 13:59

Nikkei
Perhaps Mick could change up a bit what he's saying about Charlie? He could say they're sad that he can't be with them or something. "first tour without Charlie" is beginning to sound to me a bit like part of their achievement-narrative... first time at Glastonbury, first show in Cuba, first tour without Charlie?

Saying it's the first tour without Charlie is completely different than saying this is the first show in Cuba, first time at Glastonbury, etc. How do you "change up" grief and why should you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 14:09 by steffialicia.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 25, 2021 14:04

Like I suggested, maybe he could say they're sad that he couldn't be there?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 25, 2021 14:51

gotdablouse
Monkey Man, view not great but good audio and came out alright for a song rarely played, better than some of the "usual suspects"...

Good and close view though a bit blurry. Audio very clear for one of my favorites from 1969.

song facts -- [www.songfacts.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home