Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Minneapolis - Sunday 24-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 25, 2021 15:19

At 59, Rolling Stones electric as ever during fiery show at U.S. Bank Stadium

By ROSS RAIHALA
October 25, 2021

The Dome at America’s Center, Sept. 26, 2021, in St. Louis. (Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP)

Could this be the last time we’ll see the Rolling Stones?

The self-proclaimed “Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World” opened their Sunday night concert at U.S. Bank Stadium by addressing the elephant in the room. Namely, the death of the man many would call the heart and soul of the group, drummer Charlie Watts.

Watts had already planned to sit out this leg of the band’s No Filter tour due to an unspecified medical procedure. But his death in August felt like the perfect time for the Stones – with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards the final remaining original members – to call it a day.

Then again, the Glimmer Twins delivered yet another ageless performance Sunday night, the type that puts bands a third their age to shame.

After a set from Grammy nominated Texas rock band Black Pumas, the Rolling Stones opened with a video tribute to Watts filled with archival footage of his tenure with the group, which spanned an incredible six decades. The four floor-to-ceiling screens on stage gave the typically reserved Watts a superhero-sized presence. (During the show, they also gave the entire stadium terrific views of the action.)

After a final freeze frame of Watts, Jagger and Richards, joined by guitarist Ronnie Wood, burst into action with a high-energy “Street Fighting Man.” The classics “Let’s Spend the Night Together” and “19th Nervous Breakdown” followed in quick succession.

Jagger then addressed the cheering crowd: “This is our first time in 59 years without Charlie Watts.” He then dedicated the next song, “Tumbling Dice,” to the late drummer.

At various points during the late ’70s through the ’90s, the Stones were notorious for sometimes phoning it in, or letting the famously fractious relationship between Jagger and Richards spill out onto the stage. But in the 21st century – a time when the band hit their 50th anniversary – they seem to have figured out that if they’re going to charge what they charge, they had better deliver.

The evening felt reminiscent of the group’s most recent Twin Cities shows, at Xcel Energy Center in 2005 and TCF Bank Stadium a decade later. The band members were highly engaged, with both themselves and the audience, and wildly driven by whatever voodoo it is they use to keep Richards alive. (To be sure, USBS’ notorious sound problems did leave some audience members grumbling.)

It certainly helped that most of the members of the Stones’ touring band have been with the group for decades, including Darryl Jones, who took bassist Bill Wyman’s spot after he left the group in 1993. One of the few newbies on stage – backup singer Sasha Allen – proved to be a perfect fit and, with Jagger, delivered a chilling “Gimme Shelter.”

Watts will never be replaced, but Steve Jordan did a fine job of paying homage to Watts’ style while also adding some personal touches. He, too, is a longtime Stones associate whose relationship dates back to 1986, when he played on their “Dirty Work” album.

Jagger did his typical thing where he gives localized shout outs and claimed he ate a Jucy Lucy at Matt’s Bar, another one at the 5-8 Club and that he washed them down with a Grain Belt, Fulton and Surly. Jagger then announced he finished his night alone at Grumpy’s Bar. In a much more meaningful move, he sang bits of Prince’s “Controversy” and “Purple Rain” during extended versions of “Miss You” and “Purple Rain.” (The Purple One opened for the Stones back in 1981.)

The set list focused on the big hits, including “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” “Start Me Up,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “Paint it Black” and “Sympathy for the Devil.” Richards sang a pair of songs, the rarely performed “Connection” and his signature tune “Before They Make Me Run.”

The only Stones song from the 21st century – not that there are many of them – to make the cut was their recent single “Living in a Ghost Town,” a slow burning reggae rocker that they wrote and recorded during the pandemic.

Next year marks the Rolling Stones’ 60th anniversary together and after Sunday’s show, it sure seems like Jagger and Richards are going to keep this band rolling for the foreseeable future.

[www.twincities.com]

Re: Minneapolis show live updates - Sunday 24-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: October 25, 2021 15:30

The most joyful, uplifting shots. Performing really is their drug of choice these days.

Re: Minneapolis show live updates - Sunday 24-Oct-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 25, 2021 15:48

Nikkei
Like I suggested, maybe he could say they're sad that he couldn't be there?

Not sure that will be seen as sincere, Mick and Keith have never looked so happy onstage together. We don't know anything about them really do we, Ronnie seems the most badly effected by Charlie's absence, I genuinely believe Ronnie misses him very much, might have effected the dynamic of the band for him more than the others.

I'm sure deep down Mick and Keith are hurting but perhaps don't show it onstage, it's probably in quieter moments behind the scenes that are the most difficult for them.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 25, 2021 16:05

Rocktiludrop
Nikkei

Not sure that will be seen as sincere, Mick and Keith have never looked so happy onstage together. We don't know anything about them really do we, Ronnie seems the most badly effected by Charlie's absence, I genuinely believe Ronnie misses him very much, might have effected the dynamic of the band for him more than the others.

I'm sure deep down Mick and Keith are hurting but perhaps don't show it onstage, it's probably in quieter moments behind the scenes that are the most difficult for them.

Hmm I didn't look at it that way but I guess you're right

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: October 25, 2021 16:55

Rocktiludrop
Nikkei

I don't think that Mick and Keith's publicly warm interactions and apparent enjoyment at performing negate private grief at Charlie's death - I certainly hope not. One might reasonably conjecture that the death of such a close colleague has brought home to them that time passes quickly and life is too short for grudges but should be enjoyed to the full. Ronnie has been open about his medical history so we know he has suffered a recent recurrence of a very aggressive form of cancer and hopefully beaten it for the time being. The treatment is likely to have effected him and the psychological toll of Charlie's death in the circumstances he has mentioned more than account for his on-stage appearance. Hopefully, everyone is taking good care of him.

Posted by: vant0037 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 17:13

5th time seeing them. First caught them on 50 and Counting in Chicago, then Zip Code in MPLS, Milwaukee. Then London 2018. Was supposed to catch them in LA in 2019 but the show was cancelled. Then the pandemic cancelled the first MPLS date, and I thought we might not ever see them!

For a variety of reasons - namely a baby and the pandemic - we haven't been out for much in the past 18 months. Tonight (or last night, as I write this) we left our daughter with my parents and had rear GA seats so we could spread out and feel comfortable. As a resident of the Twin Cities, I've heard all about the sound issues at USBank Stadium. Frankly, I didn't really care too much about sound or acoustics, because for us, last night was all about feel. It was all about vibe. It was about being out with my best friend and wife. Dancing our old asses off to that groove that only the Stones can lay down. Feeling like life was a little bit normal again. Knowing that it probably was the last time we'd see them, and feeling totally OK with what we've been able to experience throughout the years, whether it was collecting vinyl or traveling over an ocean to see them. If the last year
has done anything other than generally mess up a lot of lives and life plans, its taught me a little bit about gratitude. Being thankful to been allowed time with family for so long. Grateful to have been healthy enough to travel around the world and see live music. Blessed enough to get to see the band in my own backyard and sleep in my own bed for what will probably be the last time.

It was a great night and I'm thankful to have spent it with all of you. The band as an entire group sounded great, and we were so happy to have been there. But if I'm being honest, after a crazy year, we remain happy to be anywhere.

Date: October 25, 2021 17:20

This was actually the first time the Stones performed "Fool to Cry" in the U.S. outside of Pennsylvania,if I am not mistaken.

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh 1999 but,otherwise,"Fool to Cry" only in done in Europe .... maybe in Canada on the Bridges to Babylon Tour.

Date: October 25, 2021 18:04

Lady Jayne
Rocktiludrop
Nikkei

I don't think that Mick and Keith's publicly warm interactions and apparent enjoyment at performing negate private grief at Charlie's death - I certainly hope not. One might reasonably conjecture that the death of such a close colleague has brought home to them that time passes quickly and life is too short for grudges but should be enjoyed to the full. Ronnie has been open about his medical history so we know he has suffered a recent recurrence of a very aggressive form of cancer and hopefully beaten it for the time being. The treatment is likely to have effected him and the psychological toll of Charlie's death in the circumstances he has mentioned more than account for his on-stage appearance. Hopefully, everyone is taking good care of him.

Yes i think you have put a nice balance to the situation, Keith, Mick and Ronnie are only too aware that this time they have doing what they love is precious and why should they cover up their obvious enjoyment of doing what God put them on this earth to do.
Keith said to the audience last week, this is what i do, maybe he felt obliged to say that.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 21:09

Just came across this. Keith, backstage Minneapolis, warming himself up for
Before They Make me Run.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 25, 2021 21:30

northof49

Just came across this. Keith, backstage Minneapolis, warming himself up for Before They Make me Run.

It's from Keith's [www.Instagram.com] & [www.Facebook.com] - (24-Oct-2021).

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 25, 2021 21:39

Fool to cry

[youtu.be]

Monkey man

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 21:59

Is it just me or does Memory Motel and Fool to Cry sound awfully similar in the beginning?

My first thought when Fool to Cry started was that it was Memory Motel initially.

Anyone else get these two songs' intros confused?

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: October 25, 2021 22:13

Nikkei
Rocktiludrop
Nikkei

Perhaps Charlie's passing is the reason for their smiles. Maybe when Charlie passed, they understood that while they have done this for 59 years, these moments are fleeting and could end at any moment. While I am sure they are missing Charlie, maybe through these circumstances they realize how truly fortunate they have been. Maybe every time they take the stage and every song they play, we are just seeing their sheer joy of playing the music.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: October 25, 2021 22:23

Yes I heard Memory the first few moments

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 25, 2021 23:34

bradleycsocal
Nikkei
Rocktiludrop
Nikkei

Perhaps Charlie's passing is the reason for their smiles. Maybe when Charlie passed, they understood that while they have done this for 59 years, these moments are fleeting and could end at any moment. While I am sure they are missing Charlie, maybe through these circumstances they realize how truly fortunate they have been. Maybe every time they take the stage and every song they play, we are just seeing their sheer joy of playing the music.

Agree 100%, Nikkei. Just wished they would have realized how much they mean to each other sooner.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: October 26, 2021 00:48

These guys - the actual Rolling Stones! - just played a concert last night - which doesn't happen often in the grand scheme of things - and this thread only has six pages?

There have been longer discussions about whether or not Mick wears a wig.

Just thought there would be more.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: October 26, 2021 01:09

Yes, opening night of the tour had 12 or more pages?

Each show loses commentary as many comments / concerns are no longer new concerns, they are now a staple of the tour.

Date: October 26, 2021 01:17

Chester
These guys - the actual Rolling Stones! - just played a concert last night - which doesn't happen often in the grand scheme of things - and this thread only has six pages?

Was thinking the same thing, perhaps there is less discussion because there is so little to criticise or find fault with, these shows were unexpected, remember all the posters saying it won't happen, can't happen, shouldn't happen, then we get great setlists, so not much to complain or post about there, then Keith is playing well so not much to bash him with , perhaps we are a bit speechless.
There is a phenomenon happening, 78 year old men are showing the world how it's done and it's so incredible it's hard to process.
How can we keep saying how great they are , how fantastic they are singing / playing, there are so few ways to describe perfection and so many ways to criticise mediocrity.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 26, 2021 01:17

Dougratajczak87
Is it just me or does Memory Motel and Fool to Cry sound awfully similar in the beginning?

My first thought when Fool to Cry started was that it was Memory Motel initially.

I did, and several around me said the same! Guys, you owe us Memory Motel now - in Detroit please ! winking smiley

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: October 26, 2021 01:24

Rocktiludrop
Chester

Was thinking the same thing, perhaps there is less discussion because there is so little to criticise or find fault with, these shows were unexpected, remember all the posters saying it won't happen, can't happen, shouldn't happen, then we get great setlists, so not much to complain or post about there, then Keith is playing well so not much to bash him with , perhaps we are a bit speechless.
There is a phenomenon happening, 78 year old men are showing the world how it's done and it's so incredible it's hard to process.
How can we keep saying how great they are , how fantastic they are singing / playing, there are so few ways to describe perfection and so many ways to criticise mediocrity.

Good points, but people are still breaking down shows from '72.
These guys played last night.

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: October 26, 2021 01:44

Dougratajczak87

It's true!! I listened just like you!
I thought Memory Motel started

Date: October 26, 2021 02:05

What an epic show by the @RollingStones last night!

Thank you for playing U.S. Bank Stadium for your 13th show in the Twin Cities!

Photos: @David_Sherman
#StonesNoFilter

[twitter.com]

Date: October 26, 2021 02:10

Chester
Rocktiludrop
Chester

Good points, but people are still breaking down shows from '72.
These guys played last night.

Yeah i hear you, and you are right, well you know in 72 we didn't have the internet, it could be overkill, but I'd like to think people will be talking about the Stones in decades to come about how they continued in spite of everything against them and the old Lions roared again for their final goodbyes.

I think they will be talked about, people never realise what they had until it's gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-26 02:13 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: October 26, 2021 02:15

And then Keith comes out for his two wearing a red satin shirt so similar to Mick's that Mick mock grumbled that now he has to change his frock...

Date: October 26, 2021 02:16

From David Sherman:

[www.instagram.com]

Date: October 26, 2021 02:18

From David Sherman:

[www.instagram.com]

Date: October 26, 2021 02:20

Man the way Mick and Keith come out to Street Fighting Man, it's just powerful and unreal.
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: October 26, 2021 02:23

excellent version of Monkey man, thanks for the link!
They really sound excellent !

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 26, 2021 02:27

Rocktiludrop
Man the way Mick and Keith come out to Street Fighting Man, it's just powerful and unreal.
[m.youtube.com]

smileys with beer

Date: October 26, 2021 02:39

JJF. Words are not enough.
[m.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home