Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Poll for the next Deluxe release
Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: October 24, 2021 19:20

I wait for a Black and Blue re-release. There are some Outtakes left. And of course along with Paris 76!
One day it will see the light of the day.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 24, 2021 19:32

smileys with beer

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 24, 2021 20:04

Hairball
Gazza
'Tattoo You' was stretching the boundaries as, enjoyable as the 'Lost & Found' disc is, its basically a collection of reworked leftovers from the 70s that were neither worked on for Tattoo You or used for other reissues.

Yes agreed - there's a lack of cohesiveness throughout that only results in a distraction.
Nice to have, but somehow they're included on a Tattoo You deluxe? Doesn't work imo.

But then, what would have worked for you?

Date: October 24, 2021 20:16

I think sometime down the road we will get the following.

A deluxe Let's Spend the Night Together package with full concerts.

At the Max deluxe reissue.

Deluxe Flashpoint. They could have made this a double CD.

A video concert from No Security.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: October 24, 2021 20:51

If they ever do another Deluxe release I think it could only be Black and Blue. A few demos and "new" songs like GHS and One of the Mocambo shows.

Timed with a video release of one of the Paris 1976 gigs, I think it would work really well.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 24, 2021 21:12

gotdablouse
Yeah but how else were they going to release it ? Not strong enough for a standalone release, it would generate reactions "no new album for 16 years and now this ?" whereas here it's a selling point for the Deluxe Edition and they cobbled a story together, win-win situation for the big and casual fans alike.

Maybe scrape everything that's left together and release a massive Beatles Anthology type release - demos, outtakes, live material, etc There was even the resurrected/reworked Lennon solo demos Free as Bird and Real Love which weren't that great, but they're similar in technique to what Mick has been doing...reworking/updating old material in an attempt to make it in to something new. I suppose it's too late for that type of massive compilation as much of the good stuff has already been used for the various Deluxe editions, but maybe there's still some scrapings from the bottom of the barrel to make a smaller version of "Anthology".

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 24, 2021 21:25

"Black and Blue" is my choice and a sentimental favorite, obviously, but I question what might still be in the vaults. Very little has leaked and the quick turnaround and short duration of the album suggest there wasn't much to it beyond what we know. A session with Jeff Beck, yes, but it's supposed to be horrific.

"IORR" would be my next choice and I'm guessing there's a solid 9-10 extras that could be plugged in here. "Drift Away" would be an obvious choice but they already used it to pad the new "Tattoo You." If memory serves, however, two versions of the song leaked... :-)

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 24, 2021 22:04

The Bridges to Babylon outtakes on fully finished studio outtakes were incredible. Bridges to Babylon should have a boxed set!!!

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 24, 2021 22:12

Black and Blue would be my choice as well.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 24, 2021 22:53

Depending on what (quality) goodies are left to mine, the Stones are/were overdue for a boxed set retrospective ala like the Beatles long ago released Anthology sets. It is just too bad because the Holy Grail is the 60's catalogue. If various parties could have worked things out, I imagine that quality Deluxe releases of Aftermath, Beggars and Let it Bleed (including outtakes and rarities) potentially could have been spectacular!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 24, 2021 23:11

georgemcdonnell314

I think they've absolutely milked the 1981-82 tour to death

A live album in 1982

A concert movie in 1983, available as a DVD

TWO concerts released as official downloads and on DVD

And now a full length Wembley show released on CD.

Doubt theres much chance of an extended LSTNT. Probably too much work and legal hassles for limited financial return, made even more unlikely since Hal Ashby died a few years after it came out.

We already have three full length concerts released on DVD & CD from the 1989/90 tour as well as 'At The Max'. The technical limitations with recording that movie at the time would probably make such a project unlikely. They did film the two Barcelona shows for a TV special shown around Europe although of the 25 songs played at each show (with identical setlists) only 18 were actually broadcast, so theres room there for a release from those shows (these concerts have never been released on home video or DVD)

We got a DVD/CD release of a No Security show in 2018 (San Jose). As far as I'm aware the two shows there were the only gigs on that tour that were filmed with a view to being released.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 01:47

Hairball
gotdablouse

Maybe scrape everything that's left together and release a massive Beatles Anthology type release - demos, outtakes, live material, etc There was even the resurrected/reworked Lennon solo demos Free as Bird and Real Love which weren't that great, but they're similar in technique to what Mick has been doing...reworking/updating old material in an attempt to make it in to something new. I suppose it's too late for that type of massive compilation as much of the good stuff has already been used for the various Deluxe editions, but maybe there's still some scrapings from the bottom of the barrel to make a smaller version of "Anthology".

As of this minute, the Poll is 100% in agreement with you - IORR has 35 votes, B & B 34 votes, but the winning tally: 37 to "None, I'd rather see a compilation of outtakes".

You're probably also right though in that we're probably too late for that. We certainly are not too late for a 60s outtakes collection though!

Date: October 25, 2021 01:58

Fixed quotes:

Lynd8
Hairball

As of this minute, the Poll is 100% in agreement with you - IORR has 35 votes, B & B 34 votes, but the winning tally: 37 to "None, I'd rather see a compilation of outtakes".

You're probably also right though in that we're probably too late for that. We certainly are not too late for a 60s outtakes collection though!

thumbs up

Maybe some day ABKCO and the Stones will 'Come Together', and an Anthology of '60's material will become a reality.

Date: October 25, 2021 02:32

Hairball
Fixed quotes:

Lynd8
Hairball

thumbs up

Maybe some day ABKCO and the Stones will 'Come Together', and an Anthology of '60's material will become a reality.

Ahem, Lost & Found IS a "compilation of 70's outtakes" - just not exactly as exhaustive as the Beatles' Anthology...

And speaking of "cohesiveness" - I can't think of a less cohesive listening experience than multi-disc box sets. Wonder who actually listens to them once the novelty factor wears off. But maybe it's just me because of my old age, grown up being used to listen to music in terms of singles and albums 30-40 minutes long.

Maybe the only way to satisfy the various and different wishes, dreams and desires of their fans is to make their archive available as a high quality streaming and download service.

That way, they'll be able to offer reworked versions of certain material PLUS the original outtakes, instrumental or with unfinished vocals - so that everybody is able to choose and d/l according to his/her personal preference.

Most likely the only way to make everybody - or at least as much people as possible - happy!

Date: October 25, 2021 03:06

Gazza, I agree with everything you have said.

I just think the only thing they can come up with is to expand on the existing releases.

Not all but most of the Vault releases were broadcasts and I think they are releasing them professionally for one reason.

It will give them some income instead of the bootleggers. And, it will keep their names in the headlines even if it is not for much.

Gazza
georgemcdonnell314

I think they've absolutely milked the 1981-82 tour to death

A live album in 1982

A concert movie in 1983, available as a DVD

TWO concerts released as official downloads and on DVD

And now a full length Wembley show released on CD.

Doubt theres much chance of an extended LSTNT. Probably too much work and legal hassles for limited financial return, made even more unlikely since Hal Ashby died a few years after it came out.

We already have three full length concerts released on DVD & CD from the 1989/90 tour as well as 'At The Max'. The technical limitations with recording that movie at the time would probably make such a project unlikely. They did film the two Barcelona shows for a TV special shown around Europe although of the 25 songs played at each show (with identical setlists) only 18 were actually broadcast, so theres room there for a release from those shows (these concerts have never been released on home video or DVD)

We got a DVD/CD release of a No Security show in 2018 (San Jose). As far as I'm aware the two shows there were the only gigs on that tour that were filmed with a view to being released.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 03:09

I think a double disc package of outtakes is really their only option going forward. Outside of diehards I can't see the casual fan getting excited about a Black & Blue, IORR, ER, Undercover or anything past the 80s Special Edition. I kind of wish they would focus on giving us good quality and good sounding shows. Don't worry about DVD/Blu Ray, just focus on the audio. Something from 76 is long overdue.

Date: October 25, 2021 03:36

TumblinDice76
I think a double disc package of outtakes is really their only option going forward. Outside of diehards I can't see the casual fan getting excited about a Black & Blue, IORR, ER, Undercover or anything past the 80s Special Edition. I kind of wish they would focus on giving us good quality and good sounding shows. Don't worry about DVD/Blu Ray, just focus on the audio. Something from 76 is long overdue.

Personally, I can't see the casual fan getting very excited about this Tattoo You deluxe edition either.
There's been a new video for Living In The Heart Of Love, some random publicity, and they even attempted to play a "new" cover of Troubles a' Comin live (to deaf ears mostly), but even that has disappeared from the setlist.
Ultimately, the results seem to be that almost no one outside of diehard fandom really cares at all. Considering there's still no new album, I'm grateful they do anything at this point - especially continuing to performing live.

Date: October 25, 2021 05:09

Hairball
TumblinDice76

Personally, I can't see the casual fan getting very excited about this Tattoo You deluxe edition either.
There's been a new video for Living In The Heart Of Love, some random publicity, and they even attempted to play a "new" cover of Troubles a' Comin live (to deaf ears mostly), but even that has disappeared from the setlist.
Ultimately, the results seem to be that almost no one outside of diehard fandom really cares at all. Considering there's still no new album, I'm grateful they do anything at this point - especially continuing to performing live.

Well, then they better concentrate on playing live as long as possible and pack their record release activities in altogether, because it's hard to imagine that the new album will top the standart of Lost & Found, so why bother at all?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 25, 2021 11:49

Black and Blue + Paris 76 (Bob Clearmountain!!!) + El Mocambo (Bob Clearmountain!!!)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 25, 2021 12:24

Wild Slivovitz
A re-issue of Undercover with a less 80-es sounding mix would be interesting. Or ...

thumbs up Now that would be interesting.

[The 80's in general really piss me off .

There was some wonderful music written in the 80s by many great bands and musicians...but it all sounds like sh*te !

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 25, 2021 13:09

Deluxe them all.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 25, 2021 13:14

MingSubu
Deluxe them all.

..."and let the IORR regulars sort them out" grinning smiley

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: October 25, 2021 13:50

A monster double release of "Undercover & Dirty"

Being undercover and dirty as possible, release all the Hate Tracks, go into detail about the relationship at the moment with new Essays/Interviews, speak of what could have been, bring in the impact of Mick's Solo deal & package "She's The Boss" & "Talk Is Cheap" with the Super Deluxe

After This I see a "Steel Wheels & Voodoo" with "Wandering Spirit & Main Offender" on the Super Deluxe

That would in my mind create a full picture of each era

Certainly pump in the "Unearthed & Reimagined" as Special Edition content, onto Deluxe, Super Deluxe etc

Date: October 25, 2021 15:25

Make a deal with ABKCO and give us Aftermath and Between The Buttons Deluxe, please!

B-sides, demos and restored live shows should be included.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 25, 2021 16:54

SKILLS

Being undercover and dirty as possible, release all the Hate Tracks, go into detail about the relationship at the moment with new Essays/Interviews, speak of what could have been, bring in the impact of Mick's Solo deal & package "She's The Boss" & "Talk Is Cheap" with the Super Deluxe

After This I see a "Steel Wheels & Voodoo" with "Wandering Spirit & Main Offender" on the Super Deluxe

Certainly pump in the "Unearthed & Reimagined" as Special Edition content, onto Deluxe, Super Deluxe etc

What about the A Bigger Bang, Superheavy Crosseyed Heart Blue and Lonesome massive superdeluxe boxset in vinyl and sacd along with Doom & Gloom and Easy Sleazy 10" vinyl picture discs with a book covering the era and the Glastonbury Live disc on Blu Ray?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 25, 2021 17:11

Love You Live

extras: Paris concert-film + Mocambo full + Knebworth full

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: October 25, 2021 18:12

treaclefingers
SKILLS

What about the A Bigger Bang, Superheavy Crosseyed Heart Blue and Lonesome massive superdeluxe boxset in vinyl and sacd along with Doom & Gloom and Easy Sleazy 10" vinyl picture discs with a book covering the era and the Glastonbury Live disc on Blu Ray?

Why not indeed!

In my opinion the "Super Deluxe Box Set" around $150 USD, 100 pounds, $250 Australian, instead of the $1000 USD Attempts (e.g. The Brussels Affair) to actually generate reasonable sales, is the way forward for the Big Bands

I was disappointed by the G'N'R Appetite For Destruction for not including the Roxy MTV Show (all broadcast rights can be worked out by reasonable people, ask Prince etc) or the 88 Australian Shpw, filmed by Channel 9 Australia:

Kerry Packer for those who don't know was the Ozzie Entrepreneur who revolutionsized Cricket and Motorsport Broadcasts, the In Car Television Footage you see from F1 to NASCAR was pioneered by the Australians, bless e'm

He had Dire Straits 86, Bon Jovi 87, GNR 88 all recorded at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

The 86 Dire Straits was simulcast across OZ & NZ on Terrestrial TV and FM Stations, therefore making a HiFi VHS/BETA with FM Stereo Sound possible, truly a revelation as a 15 yr old Kid, hearing the Family Stereo in sync with the TV.

Back to the next deluxe, I'm after what i have proposed previously, but I think Paris 76 with Black & Blue would make some sense

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 18:22 by SKILLS.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 25, 2021 21:59

An 80s project would work.

I think they have enough for Steel Wheels Deluxe ( if you consider that only 3 'new' '72 too '73 songs were put on GHS te-issue.

It was an important era - relaunch of the band really.

Unlike Gazza I think Bridges deluxe would fly. Lots of great out-takes, as evidenced on FFSO - and a strongish album I think, with good live shows.

Their last creative Hoorah imo.

I now see someone else's ingested n Undercover / DWork joint mid-eightiess issue.

Plenty of story - and Still in Love alone as one bonus track justifies this + there are some decent DW outakes I fink.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 22:18 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 26, 2021 11:40

Two juicy anthologies please. 1 - all the studio outtakes 2 - all the live stuff.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 26, 2021 15:07

SKILLS

I totally agree with you about undercover/dirty issue .......

But wrt Steel Wheels and Voodoo. .....

SW was a triumphant culmination end to one decade and era

VL - 5 YEARS LATER was the beginning of another era in practically the middle of the next decade - and the material ain't that glorious either
Lots of outtakes though - so I can see them promoting this as a re-issue, with some-sort of re-birth story ( Yug)

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home