Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Poll for the next Deluxe release
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 23, 2021 17:47

Hoping this is allowed: I've created a poll over at Steve Hoffman forums - please help out with your opinion!

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Re: Poll for the next Deluxe release
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 23, 2021 17:49

It don't work dude.
Leads to an error

Date: October 23, 2021 18:00

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Sorry about that - this one here does now work!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 18:02 by Lynd8.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 23, 2021 18:10

I'd like to see Paris 1976 released. DVD and CD please. Wonder why this hasn't been done yet? If we're just talking studio albums the IORR or Black and Blue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-23 18:15 by Paul Kersey.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: October 23, 2021 18:21

Bridges with outakes and
Concert from 97 Miami
She a rainbow

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 23, 2021 21:20

Paul Kersey
I'd like to see Paris 1976 released. DVD and CD please. Wonder why this hasn't been done yet? If we're just talking studio albums the IORR or Black and Blue.

Maybe they're holding anything from '76 back for the 60th. I believe it's the only Golden Age Stones video with a unique setlist.

I'd love to see the best of whatever is left pre-Steel Wheels. A live version of Rocks Off from '72. What about the '70 tour? Any good recording of the '66, or '67 tours?

As for Deluxe releases, they've pretty much done the biggie albums, post ABKCO. I'm not interested in Stones alternate takes, as they almost always released the best, finished versions of songs by building on them. I don't need it to be perfect. Just release whatever is great in the vaults.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2021 21:26

All of this is dependent on Mick Jagger being motivated to keep going back over old tapes and going to the trouble of writing new lyrics and putting new vocals on recordings that are anything up to 50 years old

From the options given :

1974 - It's Only Rock & Roll - non starter They've used pretty much all the outtakes

1976 - Black & Blue - they barely cut enough songs for an 8-song album. Nothing to suggest there was much left over other than a couple of songs later finished for Tattoo You

1980 - Emotional Rescue - plenty of unreleased material, but it's not seen as a 'classic' Stones album, which would diminish the point of an expanded release.

1983 - Undercover - as 'emotional rescue' but even more so.

1986 - Dirty Work - as 'emotional rescue' but even more so x 5. It would probably sell about 50 copies.

1989 - Steel Wheels - not a lot of unreleased material, but would maybe benefit from an alternate mix.

1994 - Voodoo Lounge - see 'emotional rescue'

1997 - Bridges to Babylon - again, not a 'classic' Stones album which minimises its wider appeal and probably not that much in the way of unreleased songs.

2005 - A Bigger Bang - Don Was said they used every song they recorded. Pointless doing an expanded release of this.

2016 - Blue & Lonesome - not a chance. There's going to be nothing there worth talking about from the sessions for an album cut in 3 days.

None - I'd rather see a compilation of outtakes - The only logical choice. Unless they can somehow come up with an agreement with ABKCO on the pre 1971 material, they've now exhausted the 'expanded classic album reissue' concept IMO. Even 'Tattoo You' was stretching the boundaries as, enjoyable as the 'Lost & Found' disc is, its basically a collection of reworked leftovers from the 70s that were neither worked on for Tattoo You or used for other reissues. The best options IMO are for career-spanning retrospectives or releases focussing on a specific era.

Dylan has just released 'Springtime in New York' - a boxed set focussing on 1980-85, an era where his material in that period was critically overlooked at the time and which is now being reappraised favourably. A release re-examining the Stones 80's and/or 90's recordings could see that material being viewed in a new light

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2021 21:36

A lot of us Gen-Xer's started our stones journey in 1980 or so, so I for one would love to see an expanded Emotional Rescue release, and also Undercover...the last true creative blast from the band.

After that I think we're done.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 23, 2021 21:52

I'll take Hyde Park '69, Altamont or any live performance with MT!

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: October 23, 2021 22:05

I'm looking forward to the deluxe version of It's Only Rock & Roll featuring outtakes from Sticky Fingers and Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 23, 2021 22:28

A re-issue of Undercover with a less 80-es sounding mix wuld be interesting. Or even a Dirty Work reissue with a decent drum sound!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 23, 2021 22:51

Gazza
All of this is dependent on Mick Jagger being motivated to keep going back over old tapes and going to the trouble of writing new lyrics and putting new vocals on recordings that are anything up to 50 years old

From the options given :

1974 - It's Only Rock & Roll - non starter They've used pretty much all the outtakes

1976 - Black & Blue - they barely cut enough songs for an 8-song album. Nothing to suggest there was much left over other than a couple of songs later finished for Tattoo You

1980 - Emotional Rescue - plenty of unreleased material, but it's not seen as a 'classic' Stones album, which would diminish the point of an expanded release.

1986 - Dirty Work - as 'emotional rescue' but even more so x 5. It would probably sell about 50 copies.

1989 - Steel Wheels - not a lot of unreleased material, but would maybe benefit from an alternate mix.

1997 - Bridges to Babylon - again, not a 'classic' Stones album which minimises its wider appeal and probably not that much in the way of unreleased songs.

2005 - A Bigger Bang - Don Was said they used every song they recorded. Pointless doing an expanded release of this.

2016 - Blue & Lonesome - not a chance. There's going to be nothing there worth talking about from the sessions for an album cut in 3 days.

None - I'd rather see a compilation of outtakes - The only logical choice. Unless they can somehow come up with an agreement with ABKCO on the pre 1971 material, they've now exhausted the 'expanded classic album reissue' concept IMO. Even 'Tattoo You' was stretching the boundaries as, enjoyable as the 'Lost & Found' disc is, its basically a collection of reworked leftovers from the 70s that were neither worked on for Tattoo You or used for other reissues. The best options IMO are for career-spanning retrospectives or releases focussing on a specific era.

Dylan has just released 'Springtime in New York' - a boxed set focussing on 1980-85, an era where his material in that period was critically overlooked at the time and which is now being reappraised favourably. A release re-examining the Stones 80's and/or 90's recordings could see that material being viewed in a new light

More or less my thoughts. But I don't think the Stones have enough relevant stuff to do anything that matches Bob Dylan's never-eding Bootleg Series

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 23, 2021 23:32

Paul Kersey
I'd like to see Paris 1976 released. DVD and CD please.

DVD = Paris
CD = El Mocambo'77!

I want this and nothing else! cool smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 23, 2021 23:42

Gazza

Plus Glyn Johns who engineered most of the 75 sessions said the music wasn't very good.
RE 75 they might be inspired to re-assess the 71(?)-74 material they gave a listen in 75. Like "English Rose"...

Date: October 24, 2021 01:36

They will release Paris sometime. If I remember this concert was broadcast.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 24, 2021 01:44

I go or After Math super the Luxe....there must be some rehearsals or demo's or first to ten cut's from that time

Date: October 24, 2021 01:50

NICOS
I go or After Math super the Luxe....there must be some rehearsals or demo's or first to ten cut's from that time

The 60s albums were not an option as it seems like if they couldn't bury the hatchet for BB and LIB 50th anniversaries, they likely never will.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 24, 2021 01:52

GEEEZ I cant think yet
Im still riveted to the wall
by Shame Shame ... Trouble's grind
Its A Lie .... FijiCum To The Ball
.......... Fast Talkin and Start ME UP

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 24, 2021 01:53

Oddly missing from TY Deluxe "Lost & Found" are any known B&B outtakes so...

Also "Black and Blue" has the advantage of a "story", i.e. "the great guitarist hunt" and we saw how much a story "mattered" for GHS. Besides there are enough unreleased tracks to work with : "I Love Ladies", "Come On Sugar", "English Rose" (probably from earlier sessions), "Man Eating Woman", "Slow Down and Stop", "I Got a Letter", etc...On GHS there were only 3 unreleased tracks (including one that was completely unrelated). The original B&B promo would be a problem of course !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-24 01:54 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 24, 2021 02:33

slewan
Gazza

From the options given :

More or less my thoughts. But I don't think the Stones have enough relevant stuff to do anything that matches Bob Dylan's never-eding Bootleg Series

Yes. Dylan's outtakes can be totally different. They sound finished, with maybe a different take on the song. The Stones don't work that way. They build a song until it's finished, improving it to what's best.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 24, 2021 06:37

Sydney Licks Enmore Theatre show was filmed. I’D LOVE THAT ONE on DVD somehow.

Rod

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 24, 2021 10:57

Gazza

From the options given :

Nice work, Gazza.
The thing that bothers me is that some are wondering whether Mick is ... willing to / motivated to ... etc.
Basically the Lynd8 request/question is a Universal Records related question. The Stones really don't give a damn about polishing stuff, that they didn't think was good enough to put on any album at any time, but probably there is something in the contract that requires help from them (read: mostly Mick and Keith).

Finely somebody within Universal realized that they need input from real Rolling Stones fans to at least make some decent money out of all that old stuff. Fine, off course, but do it the professional way, please.
The Exile re-release idea was great ... and very successful, the bonus CD coming with Some Girls was even beter, but ..... (yes, it had to be cheap again ..) the promotion of The Some Girls re-release was rubbish. The biggest disappointment must be the re-release of the great majestic Sticky Fingers. A very poor publicity performance by Universal (not the Stones off course. They did what you could expect ... a great Sticky Fingers concert, given the circumstances, unfortunately without Mick Taylor). Now we have Tattoo You. Well, we all have our opinions about it, but really the bonus CD is far from what the Rolling Stones had in mind ... a bunch of songs/remeanders that were and still aren't up to their level. My guess is, that there is not that much interest in this new The Luxe product, despite the better promotional efforts this time. So now they finally are asking input from the real fans, who should have been consulted to start with right from the beginning (instead of some "clever" career making young Universal employees). Wasn't it/ isn't it all about the music? Why tempt us to pay for expensive booklets coming with it?
Gazza, your name (or any of the fans who put substantial input in it) will not be mentioned on the final result of any of the new releases.
Take the real fans serious, Universal Records! Be professional, like The Rolling Stones have always been. Blue and Lonesome, THAT was a great idea! But didn't that come from within The Rolling Stones themselves? Yes.
winking smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 24, 2021 14:58

next year is the 50th anniversary of the 72 us tour be cool if they did something with all those soundboards and the footage that robert frank shot maybe do what they did with charlie is my darling and have it extended and edited into something new and better

or its also the 50th for exile now this is a stretch but i know as others have pointed out the way they build tracks means there early versions aren't usually as intersting as the finished results except maybe to us stones freaks but exile has to be there best loved and known album if they released a new deluxe with a disc or two of early versions of the songs from the album presented in a way as to demonstrate the evolution of each song plus couple it with the bonus disc from 2009, a live show from 72 like lets say one of the philadelphia shows or a mixture of all of them, a new documentary made from the frank footage (or just c-cksucker blues), throw in the exile oddities like the mono mix of all down the line and exile on main street blues and maybe the some of the texas rehearsals, and finally sell it at a price that mere mortals can afford and well i don't know about you but i'd buy it and i'd wager a bet a lot of casual fans would to

i mean it be better then deluxe sticky fingers

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 24, 2021 16:52

gotdablouse

Also "Black and Blue" has the advantage of a "story", i.e. "the great guitarist hunt" and we saw how much a story "mattered" for GHS. Besides there are enough unreleased tracks to work with : "I Love Ladies", "Come On Sugar", "English Rose" (probably from earlier sessions), "Man Eating Woman", "Slow Down and Stop", "I Got a Letter", etc...On GHS there were only 3 unreleased tracks (including one that was completely unrelated). The original B&B promo would be a problem of course !

Add "Built This Way" to the list; this is one of the recently leaked tracks that really seem to be "fully finished". Apart from that, my imagination fails to see that they could do much with "I Love Ladies" or "Come On Sugar" but who knows...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 24, 2021 17:02

Let's wait and see what they have in store for us next year for their 60th anniversary... We will get the new (final?) album, but I seriously doubt that this will be the sole project in the pipeline for this unique occasion.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 24, 2021 17:08

dcba
Paul Kersey
I'd like to see Paris 1976 released. DVD and CD please.

DVD = Paris
CD = El Mocambo'77!

I want this and nothing else! cool smiley

Yes please!

Date: October 24, 2021 17:50

retired_dog
gotdablouse

Add "Built This Way" to the list; this is one of the recently leaked tracks that really seem to be "fully finished". Apart from that, my imagination fails to see that they could do much with "I Love Ladies" or "Come On Sugar" but who knows...

Yes, "Built That Way" is ready to go ! Some other titles leaked last year too, see [iorr.org] but they might be working titles for known songs, like "Too Late Now" for "Hand of Fate"and "Paint Your Body " for "Hey Negrita"

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 24, 2021 17:58

Gazza
'Tattoo You' was stretching the boundaries as, enjoyable as the 'Lost & Found' disc is, its basically a collection of reworked leftovers from the 70s that were neither worked on for Tattoo You or used for other reissues.

Yes agreed - there's a lack of cohesiveness throughout that only results in a distraction.
Nice to have, but somehow they're included on a Tattoo You deluxe? Doesn't work imo.

Date: October 24, 2021 18:11

Yeah but how else were they going to release it ? Not strong enough for a standalone release, it would generate reactions "no new album for 16 years and now this ?" whereas here it's a selling point for the Deluxe Edition and they cobbled a story together, win-win situation for the big and casual fans alike.

--------------

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 24, 2021 18:26

Its not a complaint. I'm glad they released them. All I'm saying is that by releasing it this way it minimises the possibility of putting out other expanded reissues from the 70's albums.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home