Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones playing songs in wrong keys
Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 19, 2021 17:23

Two examples of the Stones accidentally playing songs in wrong keys:

Tumbling Dice (Landover 2002): [youtu.be]

Sympathy For The Devil (Toronto 2002): [youtu.be]

I think Mick sounded pretty good on Tumbling Dice.

Re: Stones playing songs in wrong keys
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 19, 2021 17:37

I don't know how you just play in the wrong key by accident, switching keys is something you really have to think about

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 19, 2021 17:41

Send It To me
I don't know how you just play in the wrong key by accident, switching keys is something you really have to think about

On Tumbling Dice, Keith was supposed to play Don't Stop, so his capo was on the wrong fret. On Sympathy For The Devil it was Mick who had some kind of problems with voice (maybe monitor issues), so the rest of the band had to adapt and change the key.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 19, 2021 17:43

yeababyyea
Send It To me

On Tumbling Dice, Keith was supposed to play Don't Stop, so his capo was on the wrong fret. On Sympathy For The Devil it was Mick who had some kind of problems with voice (maybe monitor issues), so the rest of the band had to adapt and change the key.

Ah, gotcha, thanks

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 19, 2021 20:29

yeababyyea

Mick said on stage in Dublin 2018 after playing Neighbours that it "was in the wrong key"...............

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 19, 2021 21:19

They pre-determine what key each tune will be played in before the show.
Look at Woody's setlist art, every tune has the key indicated.

But its understandable for a bunch of guys in their 70's to have a "senior moment"
and forget what key to play in.

They are pro's and know how to adjust.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 19, 2021 21:34

The most prominent thing must be two years ago Keith trying to play Midnight Rambler on his Strat he intended to use for Paint It Black. That lasted only for a few bars but Mick and Darryl sort of went along with it

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 19, 2021 22:39

yeababyyea

On Sympathy a few things come to mind, Keith way too low in the Mix, Ronnie stoned on another planet or plain drunk, Keith loaded but playing ok towards the end, think he forgot to play in the beginning, that threw Mick .

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: October 20, 2021 00:03

Nikkei
The most prominent thing must be two years ago Keith trying to play Midnight Rambler on his Strat he intended to use for Paint It Black. That lasted only for a few bars but Mick and Darryl sort of went along with it

Don’t forget in Argentina 2016 when Keith started Tumbling Dice instead of It’s Only Rock N Roll on the ES-335. Wrong guitar, wrong tuning, without capo.

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: October 20, 2021 00:19

Chicago 2 2019 Keith had the capo on the 2nd was supposed to play paint it black but crashed into midnight rambler. No harmonica from Mick but he sang a little. Can’t believe half the crowd had no idea, it was great!

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: October 20, 2021 01:36

Some singers voices get deeper as they get older. There are some older singers that changed the key of some of their songs.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 20, 2021 12:16

Wrong key, doesn't always mean that the guitar player consciously hits a wrong key. I remember London 1999 where Keith received his guitar for one song, but he thought the band was going to play another song (with a different key), so yes ... he started in the wrong key.

cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: October 20, 2021 12:30

No Expectations on Rock'n'Roll Circus was definitely in the wrong key for Mick to sing. Don't know why they changed it.

IORR has at least had three different keys over the years. The version in G on LYL sounded best, imo.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 20, 2021 12:32

yeababyyea

It seems to be Chuck's mistake on Sympathy ...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 20, 2021 12:56

Happy in Perth in 2014 started out in … another Universe. So totally wrong.

Rod

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 20, 2021 13:21

DandelionPowderman
No Expectations on Rock'n'Roll Circus was definitely in the wrong key for Mick to sing. Don't know why they changed it.

IORR has at least had three different keys over the years. The version in G on LYL sounded best, imo.

B

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 20, 2021 13:45

MacLaurens
Nikkei

Don’t forget in Argentina 2016 when Keith started Tumbling Dice instead of It’s Only Rock N Roll on the ES-335. Wrong guitar, wrong tuning, without capo.

Just a little correction mate, Gibson ES-355 it issmileys with beer

Date: October 20, 2021 13:46

z
DandelionPowderman

B

Dandy is correct, it's in G on LYL. But I would say they've only done it in G and B through the years. What would the 3rd key be in?

Date: October 20, 2021 13:51

MadMax
z
DandelionPowderman

B

Dandy is correct, it's in G on LYL. But I would say they've only done it in G and B through the years. What would the 3rd key be in?

Isn't it in E on the studio version?

Date: October 20, 2021 13:53

Nikkei

Another correction, sorry mate, Paint It Black is played by Keith on his blonde Telecaster from 1959, nicknamed "999" smileys with beer

Date: October 20, 2021 13:53

DandelionPowderman
MadMax
z
DandelionPowderman

B

Isn't it in E on the studio version?

My bad, I thought you meant live Dandy!smileys with beer

Date: October 20, 2021 13:56

smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 20, 2021 14:09

After all this time I think they should try the original E for IORR, with that slower tempo, live on stage.

The modern renditions in B often swing beautifully ...but the original had a different kind of sleazy swagger, which would be nice hear again .

[ Can't see how it would be too difficult grinning smiley.]

Date: October 20, 2021 14:13

Spud
After all this time I think they should try the original E for IORR, with that slower tempo, live on stage.

The modern renditions in B often swing beautifully ...but the original had a different kind of sleazy swagger, which would be nice hear again .

Mick had no trouble singing it with the Foo Fighters, in E smiling smiley

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 20, 2021 14:35

The 1976 versions of It's Only Rock 'N Roll is in G, but the 1975 versions is in B. The one on Love You Live is from 17th June 1975.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 14:37 by EasterMan.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 20, 2021 14:44

DandelionPowderman
Spud

Mick had no trouble singing it with the Foo Fighters, in E smiling smiley

Very good point Dandy !

So come on Mick . You'll happily go out of the way to make such songs as LSTNT and PIB sound more like the record...so why not IORR winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 14:46 by Spud.

Date: October 20, 2021 14:55

EasterMan
The 1976 versions of It's Only Rock 'N Roll is in G, but the 1975 versions is in B. The one on Love You Live is from 17th June 1975.

I stand corrected. You're right. For some reason I thought the IORR-version wwas from Paris.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2021 15:32

yeababyyea
Send It To me

Exactly , that has always been my take that it has more to do with Mick's range of vocals versus the occasional flub that we are all guilty of .

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 20, 2021 15:36

Whatever(lol),- one of the best live versions for shure.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2021 19:36

DandelionPowderman

agree 100% about the LYL version as it's my favorite !

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home