Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17
Re: Keith's playing better this tour.
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 20, 2021 11:58

Re: Keith's playing better this tour. new
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 20, 2021 11:34

ProfessorWolf.

I agree he might have been drinking in recent tours, its unbelievable he has got this far in this great shape if that is true, remember Ronnie saying Keith wasn't nice in drink anymore, hinting he went from nice to nasty in shorter time spans.

I disagree he's using coke, probably something like Aderall, something legal, Ronnie has likely been using something similar in recent tours, either that or bloody strong coffee winking smiley

i agree he's probably not doing coke even in the 70's when they where doing it onstage they where smart enough to hide it behind the amps or something and not just step beside the drums and snort it off there arms in front of a thousand cameras
of course he couldn't just do aderall in a normal way keith richards has to crush it up and snort it off his arm in front of 40,000 people
oh keith

but could someone point out in what video they see him snort something off his arm because I haven't been able to find it

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: October 20, 2021 12:10

Rocktiludrop
micha063
I also have the impression, that Keiths playing has become much more tight and focused. He is playing more straight rythm parts, straight intros and seems to be very focused. He is in fantastic shape. My guess is, that it could be the need of concentration because Steve Jordan replaced Charlie Watts.
They have to listen to him consciously and to concentrate. Obviously they trust in his playing and let him influence the playing of the whole band. All this is possibly the chance for the band and everbody in his part to let them just go and be free in performing on one side and on the other side beeing able to do this very focused on what is the very part of every member itself. They have decades of experience and are able to use their instinct on stage. Absolutly 1000% professionals. And last not least: They enjoy themselves on stage. Mick Jagger is very free and even more active and powerfull.
Its great to see all this. What a band! The greatest in the world. They just prooved it.

You said it all there, perhaps people finally get it, STILL the greatest Rock & Roll / Rock band in the world, i hope people understand now that the greatest band in the world consists of Mick and Keith, as long as those two are functioning properly you have it, all the rest are very fortunate hired hands. All can be replaced.

Well, I don't think everybody could just be replaced. It's not that easy. I used to play theatre many years and about 1000 shows. I did have some experiences, in which I had to replace or jump in for somebody. It can be a chance to rise up and it can even be unbelievable. But it also can go down. And it always needs a lot of power and a very gpod team. It's never easy.

Posted by: The Dane ()
Date: October 20, 2021 13:05

I think Keith has a secret message to the ones who are criticizing his playing.To you who are critizing please look carefully at his mouth at 1,49 in this video from LA. I guess he has a message to You.

[www.youtube.com]

The man is 78, and I saw them in Copenhagen in 1995 and thought it was the last time.... they are still rolling and looks great.

Date: October 20, 2021 13:30

The Dane
I think Keith has a secret message to the ones who are criticizing his playing.To you who are critizing please look carefully at his mouth at 1,49 in this video from LA. I guess he has a message to You.

[www.youtube.com]

The man is 78, and I saw them in Copenhagen in 1995 and thought it was the last time.... they are still rolling and looks great.

Hehe, that was great, the charisma of the man, and i don't see a more athletic agile 78 year old guitarist on the planet.

Date: October 20, 2021 13:32

ProfessorWolf

ProfessorWolf.

I agree he might have been drinking in recent tours, its unbelievable he has got this far in this great shape if that is true, remember Ronnie saying Keith wasn't nice in drink anymore, hinting he went from nice to nasty in shorter time spans.

I disagree he's using coke, probably something like Aderall, something legal, Ronnie has likely been using something similar in recent tours, either that or bloody strong coffee winking smiley

i agree he's probably not doing coke even in the 70's when they where doing it onstage they where smart enough to hide it behind the amps or something and not just step beside the drums and snort it off there arms in front of a thousand cameras
of course he couldn't just do aderall in a normal way keith richards has to crush it up and snort it off his arm in front of 40,000 people
oh keith

but could someone point out in what video they see him snort something off his arm because I haven't been able to find it

Agreed, my take on him sniffing from his arm was to make Steve Jordan laugh.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2021 13:47

Rocktiludrop
GJB
I have listened to the Gimme Shelter intro - it sounds fine to me.

I agree with the wider points around Keith's playing - one theory I have is that spending time with Steve before the tour to teach him the songs meant Keith had to sit down in a studio and actually play the songs again and again - before they even reached rehearsals. I think that must help a lot.

As another post mentions - I think Mick feels like he can trust the core band a little more this tour - Steve to keep the tempo and Keith to not F### up so much - so he is free to change the set up a little bit more than usual.

My only thought would be if somehow they can change the arrangement of Sympathy so Keith doesn't have the solo. Mick shouts "get down" or whatever after the 2nd chorus, the big screens pan to Keith... and then... well nothing. We have around 40 seconds where Keith occasionally plays a couple of licks but for large parts is seemingly talking to the crowd, gesturing and walking around.

Agreed , Steve Jordan must have whipped Keith into shape, i remember this interview in 88', Keith was doing some promotion during the Wino's tour, interviewed back stage by Jonathon King, Keith described Jordan as driving him hard in rehearsals, Keith said he wasn't used to someone telling him to pick it up, no time for drinks and smokes, get on with it sort of thing.

Admittedly it's a bit annoying that Keith treats his Sympathy solo as a meet and greet, it's strange because back in 89' 90' he did those really long extended Solos on Sympathy and they were a highlight of the tour for me.
Here is my take this time around for Keef's playing on the 2021 tour and it's just from watching You Tube clips for what that's worth . I think Keith Feels a sense of Urgency to actually lead the band as he once did as he was and really is the "Musical Director " of the Stones . So with Charlie gone -R.I.P.- I think Keith's has had to step it up , and also as it has been mentioned that Steve Jordan knows how to motivate Keith and get that engine kicked into Turbo and I think that's what the clips are showing . When you have such a tremondous loss I think that puts pressure on Keith of all people to get it going and kick it into gear as there is no time to rest on Laurels and past accomplishments , plus he has Father time breathing down his neck and Bless his soul Keith is responding to all of that and really putting on a "show" and you know what good for him as he is the "riffmaster "

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 20, 2021 13:52

Rocktiludrop
ProfessorWolf

ProfessorWolf.

oh keith

Agreed, my take on him sniffing from his arm was to make Steve Jordan laugh.

now that you say it that does sound like his sense of humor

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 20, 2021 15:25

Keith's playing better this tour... apart from the amateurish solos on SFTD (you would reprimand a school band guitarist for this).

Date: October 20, 2021 15:46

saltoftheearth
Keith's playing better this tour... apart from the amateurish solos on SFTD (you would reprimand a school band guitarist for this).

The school band guitarist might not do high fives, flick picks to them and greet them while playing a few bars of solos, like Keith does, though.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2021 16:03

DandelionPowderman
saltoftheearth

The school band guitarist might not do high fives, flick picks to them and greet them while playing a few bars of solos, like Keith does, though.

Haha... That would be a helluva sight to see a dude in a school band doing all that... grinning smiley

But yeah, Keith is an experienced performer and what he does and how he interacts with the audience and the rest of the band, that's a wholesome deal, much more than just playing a few bars 'correctly' ... Kids, don't try that at home!

- Doxa

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2021 17:16

DandelionPowderman
saltoftheearth

Ouch , but true ( I wan't a pick ! )

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 20, 2021 18:00

It's a live performance mistakes will be made. The real key is if the people in the audience walk out pleased or not. What haven't seen hear is what impact Charlie's passing as had on him and the rest of the band. Maybe mortality is weighing on them to be as "ON" as possible.

I just glad to see them performing on stage again. Steve has completely stepped up to the plate as I knew he would.

CBII

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 20, 2021 18:50

The Stones and Keith in particular can count for years on a unanimously and incredibly indulgent press. I can't remember a single article in which a journalist made the slightest criticism about Keith playing...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 18:51 by powerage78.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 20, 2021 19:21

Wow. For a Stones fan board people really don’t like Keith. And don’t give me the line “it’s the truth “.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 20, 2021 19:59

Rocktiludrop
The Dane

[www.youtube.com]

Hehe, that was great, the charisma of the man, and i don't see a more athletic agile 78 year old guitarist on the planet.
He sure is a cheeky bloody monkey in this video. Richards, Richards, ole, ole, ole! Everyone sing along...

Date: October 20, 2021 20:22

Cooltoplady
Wow. For a Stones fan board people really don’t like Keith. And don’t give me the line “it’s the truth “.

I thought this thread was going very well regards Keith, go back as far as 2006 and the bashing was merciless even after a brain injury, and people kept comparing him to Mick physically like Mick was the norm, I don't know of another 78 year old on the planet as fit as Mick, but I'd also say Keith's a very fit 78 in December, he carries that plank round his neck for over two hours without a break. Can't say as I've ever seen him out of breath either.

No one has mentioned timing yet, Keith hasn't lost his timing and that's where the magic comes, it's really coming back this tour.

But yeah not sure what you mean or if you are being sarcastic but so far on this thread the observations have been fair and mostly positive towards Keith's playing this tour, in my opinion anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 20:36 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: October 20, 2021 20:27

the issue with keith has always been his desire to "wing it". he feels he was fine when he was twenty-five, and it's no different now. the problem, especially post head bump, is keith needs to put in at least ten percent of the work mick puts in to prepare for a tour. they've known charlie was not going to be on this tour and it looks like keith has been sitting prepping with SJ for a number of months. exactly what he needs to do to deliver the performances he's delivering now. if he had always done this we would have only gotten "best stones ever". what has been puzzling is since the head bump he can pick the sh*t out of an acoustic, but on electric it can sound like he dropped the guitar. or at least it use to.

Date: October 20, 2021 20:55

powerage78
The Stones and Keith in particular can count for years on a unanimously and incredibly indulgent press. I can't remember a single article in which a journalist made the slightest criticism about Keith playing...

Not even a certain Swedish review?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 20, 2021 20:59

There is a whole new world of cognitive enhancement therapies out there. Life extension therapies too. Mick is probably already doing some of these. Best case scenario is that he begged Kieth to give some a try. This is why we have new and improved Keith. Plus Keith cutting way back or eliminating alcohol and ciggies..... Just these two actions helped him a lot and cut down swelling and arthritis in his fingers. With the kind of wealth K and M have, I would spend one million dollars seeing the best Docs on cognitive and life extension. These Docs would be overjoyed to have them as patients. What bragging right at your cocktail parties!

Here is a clue for youse with joint pain. Try OptiMSM from Jarrow. Get the kilo size. Take this w sodium ascorbate. This has been triceratops verified! Externally apply DMSO. The above are highly anti-inflammatory. Plus I believe that with enough motion and physical therapy on a particular joint, that all the above this can repair it 50-100%. Not to mention prolotherapy injections and platelet rich plasma injections that can heal joint damage, ligaments and cartilage. Men who have the money are doing this.

Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: October 20, 2021 21:04

I think much of it comes down to losing Charlie.

I think the shock of it woke Keith up, and switched him off autopilot. I think he finally is coming to grips that this Stones thing is fragile and could end at any moment. And he wants to go out on a higher note. And is appreciative of every remaining onstage moment, and really trying to do the best he can.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 20, 2021 21:17

As a doctor you're not allowed to brag about your famous patients or really any of your patients

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 20, 2021 21:30

Keith isn’t playing any differently than he was 2 years ago. Cut it out

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: October 20, 2021 23:18

Cooltoplady

I don't think the difference is so much in his playing as it is in his attitude. He seems to be more engaged this time around. Much more time out on the catwalk. Much more engagement with Mick.

You can also hear this in his remarks. Sure, he always makes his remark that it's good to be anywhere and all that, but this time, he seems very sincere about his comments about how glad he is to be back on stage. He summed it up nicely at L.A. 1. He paused for a moment and simply said, "It's what I do."

Maybe his playing is a bit sharper at some points, but to me the obvious difference is in his demeanor on stage. And definitely for the better.

Date: October 20, 2021 23:32

triceratops
There is a whole new world of cognitive enhancement therapies out there. Life extension therapies too. Mick is probably already doing some of these. Best case scenario is that he begged Kieth to give some a try. This is why we have new and improved Keith. Plus Keith cutting way back or eliminating alcohol and ciggies..... Just these two actions helped him a lot and cut down swelling and arthritis in his fingers. With the kind of wealth K and M have, I would spend one million dollars seeing the best Docs on cognitive and life extension. These Docs would be overjoyed to have them as patients. What bragging right at your cocktail parties!

Here is a clue for youse with joint pain. Try OptiMSM from Jarrow. Get the kilo size. Take this w sodium ascorbate. This has been triceratops verified! Externally apply DMSO. The above are highly anti-inflammatory. Plus I believe that with enough motion and physical therapy on a particular joint, that all the above this can repair it 50-100%. Not to mention prolotherapy injections and platelet rich plasma injections that can heal joint damage, ligaments and cartilage. Men who have the money are doing this.

You hit on some interesting points, it's anyone's guess but i think it naive not to consider that Mick with his resources might use some life extension therapies, there is so much available today inc HGH and testosterone injections, it's all legal so why wouldn't he to extend his earning potential. I first noticed this 9 years ago, it beggars belief people can't see it now, as if working out or doing a bit of ballet would keep him in this shape at almost 80 injury free.
I agree Keith is possibly having some of that too, who knows.

Thanks for your tips triceratops, I'll try some of those anti-inflammatories.thumbs up

EDIT.
OptiMSM seems to be banned in the UK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-21 00:33 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 20, 2021 23:37

.... Lovin' and Laughin' that helps toooooooooo ......hhhhhaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 20, 2021 23:44

Rockman
.... Lovin' and Laughin' that helps toooooooooo ......hhhhhaaaaaaa

Mmmhmmm, uh-huh!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 20, 2021 23:54

powerage78

Ullevi 2007 anyone? That c**t Markus Larsson is a proper t**t. It was great when Keith got him to piss in his pants a couple of years later. That's how to handle 'em! Ex-wives and journalists=No mercy! smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 23:54 by MadMax.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 21, 2021 00:07

KRiffhard
Cooltoplady
maumau
dead.flowers
But how does that fit together with the Gimme Shelter intro in Los Angeles Sunday October 17, 2021? Dean Goodman described it in his review here on IORR as follows: His “Gimme Shelter” intro sounded like backstage noodling that wasn’t intended for public consumption. And that's exactly the impression I get from the youtube clip of it.

[www.youtube.com]

I thought it was understood there was a ghost guitar player behind the stage to play the intro of gs
how come

I hope you’re not serious

I hope so too!

I was, seriously ironic about the conspiracy theory of the "Ghost Guitarist"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-21 00:09 by maumau.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 21, 2021 00:20

With the only exception of SFTD that has turned definitively into a mere spectacular gimmick interlude, I am really impressed to see Keith back in charge with very focused riffs and the impression that, on this leg, he's him who is supporting Ronnie

maybe this renewed energy and presence is the way for Keith to deal with Charlie's loss, on stage

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-21 00:21 by maumau.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 21, 2021 00:47

Cooltoplady

Of course he his. He’s playing with a new drummer, the tempos are up a little, he’s more focused, you can hear it in the YouTube videos. Not to say he’s playing better than 2 years ago, but he is playing differently. In a good way. I thought he sounded great in 2018 & 2019. But he’s a lot more focused it seems right now.
I guess Mick and him have had to take extra responsibility musically since Charlie’s passing.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home