Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17
Re: Keith's playing better this tour.
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 22, 2021 00:37

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

I haven't yet heard anyone who actually been there at the concert complaining about what they heard and saw.

- Doxa

Of course not. When someone is willing to pay $980 to stay in the pit for 1,5 hours we hardly can expect him or her to complain. grinning smiley

Of course, behind your laptop you should know better.

- Doxa

Date: November 22, 2021 00:40

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

I haven't yet heard anyone who actually been there at the concert complaining about what they heard and saw.

- Doxa

Of course not. When someone is willing to pay $980 to stay in the pit for 1,5 hours we hardly can expect him or her to complain. grinning smiley

Of course, behind your laptop you should know better.

- Doxa

You better you better you bet. cool smiley

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 22, 2021 02:31

Rocktiludrop
Could this be the reason we got 18 songs.

[m.youtube.com]

That was pretty bad. Sympathy solos though, have sounded like that on and off for years now. This is on the worse end of the spectrum however.

If the band want to keep going for as long as they can, a third guitar player to beef up the sound might be a wise decision, wishful thinking, but Mick T could slot back in one would imagine.

Sadly the playing in that vid is reaching Chuck Berry later years levels...

All that said, I'm still glad that the boys are out there doing this!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 22, 2021 03:05

beachbreak
Tom Morello very high.

-Very uncool I`d say, but from another generation.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 22, 2021 03:50

Doxa
What's the drama here? Yeah, Keith's solo in "Sympathy" is a bit sloppy, but still a manifestation of his 'less is more' playing philosophy with some odd dramatic pauses. Every hit should matter. An artistic choice. The dude's having a show, and interacting with an audience, having fun with that iconic solo spot. He's smiling and knows what he is doing. If some note is going out of scale, that's nothing newsworthy. There is a story there going on, even though he doesn't quite manage to nail it this time.

On with the show.

- Doxa

This is a pretty forgiving and kinda deluded view. If it’s “artistic choice & less is more” why not play the right notes? Why play out of tune and out of time?

It’s his behaviour while not playing that I find a bit worrying. He’s looking around, wondering where the tune is at most of the time.

But He’s 78. He’s not going to play like he did even 5 years ago. There’s a lot he can and could play, but it’s time to let Sympathy go I think.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 22, 2021 04:27

He still plays his chord riffs great.

Damn, he played Monkey Man really good on this tour no?

If he would just stick to the 12 fret pentatonic notes on SFTD like on Beggars Banquet it would be great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-22 04:28 by beachbreak.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 22, 2021 10:03

At the end of the disaster there is a fantastic guitar lick by mr wood

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 22, 2021 11:02

beachbreak
He still plays his chord riffs great.

In open-G, perhaps. How is he with standard-tuning open and barre chords, though? I would imagine, with his fingers, some of those more intricate 'open chords' may be tricky.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 22, 2021 11:24

Paddy
Doxa
What's the drama here? Yeah, Keith's solo in "Sympathy" is a bit sloppy, but still a manifestation of his 'less is more' playing philosophy with some odd dramatic pauses. Every hit should matter. An artistic choice. The dude's having a show, and interacting with an audience, having fun with that iconic solo spot. He's smiling and knows what he is doing. If some note is going out of scale, that's nothing newsworthy. There is a story there going on, even though he doesn't quite manage to nail it this time.

On with the show.

- Doxa

This is a pretty forgiving and kinda deluded view. If it’s “artistic choice & less is more” why not play the right notes? Why play out of tune and out of time?

It’s his behaviour while not playing that I find a bit worrying. He’s looking around, wondering where the tune is at most of the time.

But He’s 78. He’s not going to play like he did even 5 years ago. There’s a lot he can and could play, but it’s time to let Sympathy go I think.

Well, I guess one needs to be a bit forgiving and delusional in order to enjoy Keith's "Sympathy" solo for many, many years now. Or as I prefer to think, move the goalspots. In that context I don't see that much difference or drama in that performance as seemingly many others seem to do. Nor I am not that into interpreting anything out of his face expressions and behavior - how Keith is psychologically doing, etc. I don't see anything abnormal there. There is a little jazzman in Keith and he comes up with some odd choices occasionally. He screws up for sure, but so what. Shit happens.

- Doxa

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 22, 2021 12:00

Rocktiludrop

[m.youtube.com]

I don't get it. A musician can have a bad night but then for the next time you either practice it thoroughly to make sure not to fail again or you decide that you can't do it anymore and give the part to someone else. But Keith has been consistently destroying Sympathy, especially the solo, for more than a decade. Are the others afraid for telling him so? Doesn't he notice himself that he doesn't have a clue? Or maybe he think it's cool to play like this?

Date: November 22, 2021 12:13

Keith was still capable of some nice touches during Sympathy on the Licks tour; I'm referencing the rendition from the Four Flicks Twickenham show. Since then, though, I haven't enjoyed any of the live renditions, particularly

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 22, 2021 14:23

matxil
Rocktiludrop

[m.youtube.com]

I don't get it. A musician can have a bad night but then for the next time you either practice it thoroughly to make sure not to fail again or you decide that you can't do it anymore and give the part to someone else. But Keith has been consistently destroying Sympathy, especially the solo, for more than a decade. Are the others afraid for telling him so? Doesn't he notice himself that he doesn't have a clue? Or maybe he think it's cool to play like this?

It’s very much a situation where you don’t tell the emperor he has no clothes.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 22, 2021 15:14

MelBelli
matxil
Rocktiludrop

[m.youtube.com]

Yeah, but the weird thing is, it shouldn't even be that hard, right? I mean, I am not a fancy guitar player, but a solo in E, just a few blue notes, it shouldn't be too difficult. Any kid having practiced the pentatonic scale for a few weeks would do better. Not great, obviously, but not ridiculously bad either.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 22, 2021 15:46

matxil
MelBelli
matxil
Rocktiludrop

[m.youtube.com]

Yeah, but the weird thing is, it shouldn't even be that hard, right? I mean, I am not a fancy guitar player, but a solo in E, just a few blue notes, it shouldn't be too difficult. Any kid having practiced the pentatonic scale for a few weeks would do better. Not great, obviously, but not ridiculously bad either.

I am as perplexed as you are.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 22, 2021 15:57

Time to drop Sympathy and Miss You. Two overblown, overlong songs. One of which Keith can’t really nail anymore.

Put in something simple that the fans still want, like Angie, Wild Horses and perhaps Under my Thumb. 3 songs instead of 2. Simpler for Keith. More variety. More songs.

Less mistakes. Less complaints. Simple.

Rod

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: November 22, 2021 16:36

I was at Detroit and Austin. The conclusion I come to is Sympathy is the weakest part of the show, aside from Keith's solo itself (which is erratic and sometimes non existent) the rest of the song sounds a little empty anyway. I understand Mick is probably keen to keep it as it gets an immediate response from the audience and the graphics are cool BUT importantly I actually think the negative elements produce a net loss of momentum overall on the concert. By the end most people around me looked a little confused with the in-out on-off licks, and honestly the novelty and enthusiasm of going woo woo had disappeared somewhat after 6 or 7 minutes! All the other warhorses can be kept - I am not writing they should drop Sympathy because of preference or desire to hear other songs (the latter I would of course welcome!) but I genuinely think the show would be stronger even if they dropped Sympathy and didn't replace it with anything!

Posted by: Jeter1984 ()
Date: November 22, 2021 16:38

Like it or not, Miss You is great because the entire band covers up for Keith, and Mick nails it.

Mick is clearly in great form, they just need a setlist that compliments that, so more songs that incorporate the horn section and maybe turn Ronnie's guitar up?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 22, 2021 16:45

For the record in Tampa I often saw Keith motion to Ronnie to come in with more lead work during Sympathy. Never saw him do that ever. Didn't look like Ronnie got what he meant.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 22, 2021 17:12

With fans like these, who needs The News of the World. >grinning smiley<

Date: November 22, 2021 17:16

Jeter1984
Like it or not, Miss You is great because the entire band covers up for Keith, and Mick nails it.

Mick is clearly in great form, they just need a setlist that compliments that, so more songs that incorporate the horn section and maybe turn Ronnie's guitar up?

How does the band cover up for Keith on Miss You? He hasn't played anything substantial on that tune since 1982, only plain rhythm - which he still does (when he's not taking a break or posing at the catwalk).

Regarding SFTD, it's been a vehicle foe meeting and greeting the audience since at least 2017. He plays a couple of phrases, flicks picks, giving high fives etc.

His SFTD solos shouldn't really be judged musically anymore. It's the same with Miss You, actually. It's a song where he's allowed to take a break and then go out on the catwalk to meet and greet the audience.

I'm glad MR hasn't turned into one of those tunes.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 22, 2021 17:42

While I agree that it's pointless to gripe about an awry SFTD solo, it's still not doing him any favours dismissing the topic like that. I'd like you to judge this one from 2018 musically [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 22, 2021 17:45

while you're at it, you can judge both of them

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 22, 2021 18:14

Seems as if when Keith plays Sympathy he just doesn't give a damn about playing it with any reverence to the song or the audience. Wherever his fingers fall that's the note. I usually stick up for these guys but it's impossible to do that when a musician so blatantly disregards the music and fan's ears. Makes me wonder if our hero is secretly an idiot..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-22 18:16 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 22, 2021 18:56

Which leads to the question: Is it possible for a band to have a coherent sound with one guitarist taking part only sporadically?

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: November 22, 2021 19:05

The guy is 78 - the solo in SFTD was BAD - but the thing is I doubt very seriously he sits around thinking he needs to practice it - or any of it really - but he looks LOST a lot lately - hell even the clip of them playing Jumping Jack Flash in Austin - it looks like they are just watching him waiting for him to start and then once he does he screws it up-

Mick has always kept himself together - kept himself in shape - as did Charlie - As sad it seems to say the stuff Mick said about them "being millstones around his neck" wasn't true back then but I'm not so sure about now-

Nobody wants to see Keith get to that "Chuck Berry in his last days" stage but age and lifestyle catches up with people -

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: November 22, 2021 19:11

Keith was always on the Berry route ... and I love it

Resote1e

Date: November 22, 2021 19:18

cowboytoast
Nobody wants to see Keith get to that "Chuck Berry in his last days" stage but age and lifestyle catches up with people -

I was going to post a similar point, actually. I don’t think he’s in Berry territory quite yet; though if the mishaps worsen, he’ll be there sooner than we’d hope. Keith will have to get his family to back him up on stage, just like Chuck did in those final years of performing winking smiley

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 22, 2021 19:36

Reading through all this today three things come to mind and I'm going to get in trouble for speaking the truth the way i see it.

1/ Keith is brilliant sober, he pulls it off drunk, the band do work around him when he's drinking but it's just on a few occasions over the whole tour.

2/ I don't think he wants to play Miss you or Sympathy, he makes a mess of Sympathy on purpose sober, more so drunk.

3/ The elephant in the room is Keith decided to turn the second half of the tour into party time because he was probably bored between shows.

That's it, he's capable of playing great but chooses to go back to type, old habits die hard, and the fact he can still do this and pull it off at 78 is beyond my comprehension, he must have made a pact with the devil or something grinning smiley

I don't know about you guys but watching him play JJF here loaded is worth the entry fee on its own, rock and roll my beauties hot smiley
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-22 19:57 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: November 22, 2021 19:47

How does reading through all of this get you on the premise that Keith is drunk at the shows? No one besides you even considers this a possibility

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 22, 2021 19:54

Nikkei
How does reading through all of this get you on the premise that Keith is drunk at the shows? No one besides you even considers this a possibility

Are you kidding, you're obviously not a drinking man.

I like You Nikkei, you are an intelligent passionate fan but what else explains Keith completely nailing every show up to Tampa and then having all these problems playing since. It's a tale of two halves, the first half straight, the second half loaded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-22 20:08 by Rocktiludrop.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home